Jupiter Finds Some Zen

Jupiter

On 12/16/2020 at 1:52 AM, Harriet said:

How's it going? Still zenning?

ETA I just realised this is from the old challenge. I couldn't find if you have a new one.

No zenning. My co-workers have killed my zen. Ever since my boss quit they have been insufferable. They want everything done the second they ask and if they don't get it they complain to upper management. I want to strangle them. 

• Sad 2
  • Angry on your Behalf 4
37 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

No zenning. My co-workers have killed my zen. Ever since my boss quit they have been insufferable. They want everything done the second they ask and if they don't get it they complain to upper management. I want to strangle them. 

...complain about them to upper management?

Make sure to attach that list of how many minutes per day you spend on their neediness to your complaint. 

• Like 4

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

2 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

...complain about them to upper management?

Make sure to attach that list of how many minutes per day you spend on their neediness to your complaint. 

Yeah, I have a meeting next week with someone from upper management and my supervisor (why this needs a meeting I have no idea, I don't know what they expect it will accomplish), so I plan to say something then. I doubt it will do any good though. My department's been asking for help from them and making complaints for over a week but it doesn't seem to be making any difference. 

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

Yeah, I have a meeting next week with someone from upper management and my supervisor (why this needs a meeting I have no idea, I don't know what they expect it will accomplish), so I plan to say something then. I doubt it will do any good though. My department's been asking for help from them and making complaints for over a week but it doesn't seem to be making any difference. 

Good luck with the meeting. I hope something good comes of it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

All I can say to that is "poop".

Hoping you get some time off over the next couple weeks to recharge and regain some of your zen. Let me know if I can kick someone in the shins for you.

• Like 2

Put together enough small wins over a long enough period of time, and you’ll find yourself in high level gear fighting dragons before you know it.

Whisper shows  up on Time

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Ehhhh sorry to hear that. Sounds infuriating. Do their complaints get you in trouble, or are they also ignored by management?

• Like 2

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Woah, that's crazy. I really really hope that your supervisor and manager really get called back now, and your coworkers reprimanded. This is probably wishful thinking, but if you go in with an attitude that others are making it impossible for you to work efficiently, you will probably have a much better chance. It might take a bit of your time to get some numbers with that (e.g. number of minutes provinding updates vs number of minutes of actually doing the thing and number of interruptions per case). Do you know how your direct colleagues are faring?

• Like 1

This may be a bit off topic, but one thing that has helped me (and others I have spoken to) deal with work stress when the job/company itself is terrible is to check and update my resume. It has a host of benefits: you have to think of all the good things you have accomplished at your job and the great skills you have, it reminds you that you are not completely powerless and trapped (even if you're not planning to search for another job), and you end up with an up-to-date resume. Wins all around. :)

• Like 2

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  

20 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Good luck with the meeting. I hope something good comes of it!

Thanks, me too!

20 hours ago, Whisper said:

All I can say to that is "poop".

Hoping you get some time off over the next couple weeks to recharge and regain some of your zen. Let me know if I can kick someone in the shins for you.

Thanks. I would not mind if you kicked a few of them in the shins. :D 

17 hours ago, Harriet said:

Ehhhh sorry to hear that. Sounds infuriating. Do their complaints get you in trouble, or are they also ignored by management?

Thanks. And I realized that I kind of unloaded on you, I'm sorry about that. From the sounds of it, I am in trouble. I don't think I will be officially reprimanded or written up or anything, but the burden is on me to fix. 

8 hours ago, ReturnOfTheDad said:

Wishing you some much needed zen and a better situation at work!

image.gif.431bca8b7404e816c5b77b8a91638c00.gif

Thank you! :) 

7 hours ago, Waanie said:

Woah, that's crazy. I really really hope that your supervisor and manager really get called back now, and your coworkers reprimanded. This is probably wishful thinking, but if you go in with an attitude that others are making it impossible for you to work efficiently, you will probably have a much better chance. It might take a bit of your time to get some numbers with that (e.g. number of minutes provinding updates vs number of minutes of actually doing the thing and number of interruptions per case). Do you know how your direct colleagues are faring?

Yeah, I plan to bring my notes and complaints to the meeting. It's pretty bad for everyone on my team, none of us are ever fast enough and we never seem to do enough, no matter how many extra hours we work. They complain about us and yell at us constantly and yet they "love" us and think we're the best and won't work with the other teams even though they know we desperately need the help. It's crazy. 

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

This may be a bit off topic, but one thing that has helped me (and others I have spoken to) deal with work stress when the job/company itself is terrible is to check and update my resume. It has a host of benefits: you have to think of all the good things you have accomplished at your job and the great skills you have, it reminds you that you are not completely powerless and trapped (even if you're not planning to search for another job), and you end up with an up-to-date resume. Wins all around. :)

Oh interesting. I'll have to give that a whirl and see how it works. Thanks. :) 

• Like 1

Sorry to be so negative, guys, it's been rough over here. Anyway, 2 positive things.  I'm up to using a 10 pound dumbbell for my full strength training workouts now (putting my work anger to good use), and I finally figured out the major themes of my novel. I feel so dense that it took me this long. But I have it finally. Now I just need to work up a book bible and fix my outline. Most of it is still salvageable, I'll just need to delete some plot points, rearrange others and frame it all in a different way. I've also already finished revising chapter 1, though technically it's not done yet. I plan to take a chunk of chapter 2 and add it to chapter 1 and then delete the rest. Then it will be done. 

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1
2 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Thanks. And I realized that I kind of unloaded on you, I'm sorry about that.

Sorry to be so negative, guys, it's been rough over here.

Whaaat? Complaining is a time honoured function of the nerd fitness challenges. No sorry!

I'm up to using a 10 pound dumbbell for my full strength training workouts now (putting my work anger to good use), and I finally figured out the major themes of my novel. I feel so dense that it took me this long. But I have it finally. Now I just need to work up a book bible and fix my outline. Most of it is still salvageable, I'll just need to delete some plot points, rearrange others and frame it all in a different way. I've also already finished revising chapter 1, though technically it's not done yet. I plan to take a chunk of chapter 2 and add it to chapter 1 and then delete the rest. Then it will be done. 

Awesome that the themes are figured. What is a book bible?

• Like 3

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

9 hours ago, Harriet said:

Whaaat? Complaining is a time honoured function of the nerd fitness challenges. No sorry!

Thanks. :) 

9 hours ago, Harriet said:

Awesome that the themes are figured. What is a book bible?

Yup. :) It's basically a bunch of stuff about the book -- worldbuilding details, magic system, quick character summaries, etc. Basically I'm gathering all my notes together in one place and organizing them. Or trying anyway LOL. 

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

Yup. :) It's basically a bunch of stuff about the book -- worldbuilding details, magic system, quick character summaries, etc. Basically I'm gathering all my notes together in one place and organizing them. Or trying anyway LOL. 

And now I'm picturing Silmarillion :D 

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

Ok, I'm just gonna say it: what a bunch of ungrateful little brats! Your co-workers are awful.

Don't apologize for complaining here. We are your sounding board. *hugs*

Yay for book progress!

• Like 2

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

Rant ahead, feel free to skip:

Spoiler

Well, had my meeting today with upper management. One of them seemed supportive, the other not so much.  It went pretty much exactly as I expected. Everything is on me and I have to adjust. The guy basically told me that I'm not allowed to leave until all the work is done, which means doing more overtime. I told him I couldn't because of my writing (I'm trying to turn this into a career, even if it's going slower than I would like), and he asked me which one is the bigger priority, my job or my writing, because according to him I can't have both. I was about fed up by this point so I flat out told him that they are both a priority and that I can have more than 1 at the same time. I believe even the words, "I don't have to put my life on hold for you," slipped out at some point. (Just to be clear, my writing time doesn't interfere with my legally required hours. It doesn't interfere with my day job at all, except that it prevents me from doing a ton of overtime. He wants me to choose between my job and my writing (and essentially everything else in my life).)  He thinks my entire life should revolve around this place and can't understand why it doesn't. At one point he told me that if I can't make that adjustment, then maybe "this isn't the right place for me". I was so furious. I'm still furious. He is so out of line I can't even. But I have no recourse. I have to make some kind of adjustment. I don't mind making a small one, which I've done. It's not the one he wants, but it will have to be good enough for his highness. 

Maybe I'm being dramatic and stupid. I should just be grateful to have a job right now, and I am. But I don't appreciate ultimatums, or my employer trying to tell me how I should live my life. I just can't even with this place anymore. 

• Sad 2
  • Angry on your Behalf 5

I'm sad but not surprised by how that meeting went. They are using the fact that jobs are hard to come by to manipulate and abuse you. You deserve better. Really and truly, you deserve better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • That's Metal 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  

3 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Maybe I'm being dramatic and stupid. I should just be grateful to have a job right now, and I am.

You are not ungrateful.

I'll say it again, they should be fucking grateful you are standing up for yourself, or they would have one of their key employees, who does not constantly shove blame away from herself and email unnecessarily,

out of the game.

This is not dramatic. This is the exact right way to go about a job. Even if it was for an NGO saving wildlife or whatever,

(like, I do not agree with how employers of medical personnel hold the nature of the personnel's work against them.)

There needs to be a cooperation between employer and employee.

If they cannot get that, your work place is not the place FOR THEM as "managers".

I know this doesn't change anything, but there.

But I don't appreciate ultimatums, or my employer trying to tell me how I should live my life. I just can't even with this place anymore. 

Exactly.

Oh and way to go on your book bible and the workout ❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

3 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Rant ahead, feel free to skip:

Hide contents

Maybe I'm being dramatic and stupid. I should just be grateful to have a job right now, and I am. But I don't appreciate ultimatums, or my employer trying to tell me how I should live my life. I just can't even with this place anymore.

You are not being dramatic. He is trying to squeeze more time and life out of you than the job contract entitles him to, and he's able to do this because of unequal bargaining power (losing your job is harder on you than finding a replacement is on him... true for most jobs and employers). He is a villain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are not being dramatic and stupid. Far from it.

• Thanks 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021