Shotokdan does the same but a little different

Shotokan

Trying to continue the forward moving progress from the last challenge, this time around is much of the same but different.

1. Close all three rings on my Apple watch six times a week for the entire challenge.

The Apple watch has been a big help on making me workout.  For this challenge, I want to close my rings at least six days each week.  I only missed two of day over the last challenge but when I have double Zoom classes a rest day after might be in order. 

2. Four workouts per week in addition to my Karate training.

Four days of structured workouts such as Grokker, dumbbell circuits, band or body-weight workouts.  The can include strength training, mobility and or flexibility but it needs to be structured to count.

3. Write 500 words per week.

I did start writing during the last challenge, which is more than I did in the last couple years.  This time around doing 500 words per week should be doable.

• Like 3

Doug

In search of the ever elusive side thrust kick....

Student of Karate and Iaido

Day one:

The first day of the challenge was my day of rest.  I ended up getting in two Grokker workouts for core and mobility and some kata to finish it off. 

Move 471/610

Exercise 38/35

Stand 14/12

Day two:

Today started with kata in the morning and a short mobility routine to get me ready for the day.  The night time workout was a very tough Grokker workout

Move 662/610

Exercise 53/35

Stand 15/12

Day three:

Morning workout was kata and mobility. The night workout was a couple more katas and my hip workout which I got a little crazy with by doing a few too many sets but it started and just kept going.

Move 656/610

Exercise 37/30

Stand 14/12

Day four:

Today started again with kata and mobility.  This short little workout really does great things for my head before and I notice that my hips are much more mobile until afternoon.  The night workout was some band core work along with some forearm training. 

Move 650/610

Exercise 41/30

Stand 14/12

• Like 1

Doug

One piece of wisdom I've heard is that bodies are generally stiffer in the morning and loosen over the course of the day. I used to hear that if you were going to do morning work of the kind you're talking about that you should drink something hot to raise your core temperature a little bit, so you know, coffee, tea, that kind of thing. Dunno if that'd help or if your situation lends itself to that, but might not be a bad idea.

• Like 1
On 10/31/2020 at 1:30 AM, Kishi said:

One piece of wisdom I've heard is that bodies are generally stiffer in the morning and loosen over the course of the day. I used to hear that if you were going to do morning work of the kind you're talking about that you should drink something hot to raise your core temperature a little bit, so you know, coffee, tea, that kind of thing. Dunno if that'd help or if your situation lends itself to that, but might not be a bad idea.

Moving cold would be rough for me.  I train after I shower so it seems to get my body temp up enough to move pretty well.

• Like 1

Doug

Many good workouts over the last 10 days or so.

Day five:

Move 684/610

Exercise 38/35

Stand 16/12

Day six:

Move 635/610

Exercise 35/35

Stand 14/12

Day seven:

Move 653/610

Exercise 36/35

Stand 13/12

Day eight:

Move 817/610

Exercise 71/35

Stand 12/12

Day nine:

Move 632/610

Exercise 36/35

Stand 16/12

Day ten:

Move 747/610

Exercise 37/35

Stand 16/12

Day eleven:

Move 617/610

Exercise 54/35

Stand 14/12

Day twelve:

Move 764/610

Exercise 35/35

Stand 15/12

Day thirteen:

Move 625/610

Exercise 41/35

Stand 15/12

Lots of good workouts since my last time checking in.  Kata and some other training each morning and Grokker, bands, weights or core workouts at night.

• Like 1

Doug

Day fourteen:

Ah, this was a serious workout day.  Kata in the morning and two hard Zoom classes in the late afternoon. Walking was rough after the classes but that comes with the territory.

Move 1220/610

Exercise 144/35

Stand 12/12

Day fifteen:

No kata today, just some weights and a core workout.

Move 647/610

Exercise 50/35

Stand 13/12

• Like 1

Doug

I just came along to harass everyone who wasn't Xmas-challenging, and noticed you went radio silent several weeks ago. Everything okay?

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 12/9/2020 at 2:56 PM, sarakingdom said:

I just came along to harass everyone who wasn't Xmas-challenging, and noticed you went radio silent several weeks ago. Everything okay?

Thanks for checking on me.  I had some crazy hours at work and all the time I had away from the office was spent training.  It figures that one of my best workout months wasn't in the challenges.

Doug

2 minutes ago, Shotokan said:

Thanks for checking on me.  I had some crazy hours at work and all the time I had away from the office was spent training.  It figures that one of my best workout months wasn't in the challenges.

Hey, if it works, it works! It's good to have something that takes the edge off long work hours.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23