PaulG Preps For The Storm

PaulG

Happy belated birthday!!! 🎊

I'm pretty unfamiliar with most parkour moves, but your movement coming back over the rail looks very smooth and self-assured in the video.

That sauce for the reverse spatchcocked chicken sounds sublime, btw. As does your menu for Tday. 😁

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 11/24/2020 at 1:14 AM, Mad Hatter said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAAAAAY! 🥳

On 11/25/2020 at 9:42 AM, DoubleTrouble said:

Happy birthday!

On 11/24/2020 at 7:40 AM, raptron said:

Happy belated birthday!!! 🎊

I'm pretty unfamiliar with most parkour moves, but your movement coming back over the rail looks very smooth and self-assured in the video.

That sauce for the reverse spatchcocked chicken sounds sublime, btw. As does your menu for Tday. 😁

Thanks! :D

And thanks for the kind word about the gate vault. It's one of those skills that you pick up, get kinda good at, but then you shelve it to practice other things and only come back to it every so often. I should probably keep track of a few of those and dedicate some time to brushing up on them.

Day 11/23

Mobility Day: Lots of hip flexor and hamstring mobility work on my work breaks.

Food Log:  Done.

Work Break Minutes: 30 minutes, not counting lunch.

Sleep Hours:  7 hours, 25 minutes.

- Left hip is continuing to complain. I spent a good chunk of time on my work breaks poking around websites and Youtube videos from trusted sources, trying to figure out a possible cause. It seems it may be related to the “hip clunk” I was experiencing a few months back. Popular thought seems to hold that it’s caused by either hip flexor tightness, OR psoas major weakness.

Day 11/24

Mobility Day: Workout day.

Food Log✅ Done.

Work Break Minutes: 45 minutes, not counting lunch.

Sleep Hours: 7 hours, 15 minutes.

<b><u>Workout Log 11/24/20</u></b>

Warmup

[b]Pistol Squats:[/b] 5/5[sup]a-e[/sup]

[b]Pistol Squats +12lbs:[/b] 7/7[sup]b-e[/sup], 7/7[sup]a-x[/sup], 7/7[sup]b-x[/sup]
[i]- Kind of felt like I had to gut those last reps out, exertion was really just short of a Y.[/I]

[b]Wall HS Holds:[/b] 15s[sup]c-x[/sup], 5s[sup]c-e[/sup], 6s[sup]c-e[/sup]
[i]- Since handstands don't seem to be a big strength exercise at the moment, I switched to getting some skill practice by tapping away from the wall. I took a video for a form check; it was not great, not really worth posting, I think.[/I]

[b]Incline Archer Rows:[/b] 6/6[sup]b-e[/sup], 7/7[sup]a-x[/sup], 6/6[sup]b-y[/sup]

[b]Stool Dips:[/b] 9[sup]a-e[/sup], 9[sup]a-x[/sup], 9[sup]a-x[/sup]

[b]FG Ring Pullups:[/b] 6[sup]a-x[/sup], 8[sup]b-y[/sup], 5[sup]b-x[/sup], 4[sup]b-x[/sup]

[b]L-Sits:[/b] 10s[sup]c-x[/sup], 10s[sup]b-x[/sup], 12s[sup]c-y[/sup]

[b]Deep Step-Ups:[/b] 5/5[sup]a-e[/sup]
[i]- In the final rep, the crepitus in my right patella suddenly gave a li'l POP and I got some pain. The pain came back when I bent the knee, so I threw in the towel. It went away pretty fast and I'm not too worried, but I know better than to keep pushing it.[/I]

[b]Adv Tuck Dragon Flags:[/b] 8[sup]a-x[/sup]

[b]Upright Ext Rotation (3lbs):[/b] 19/19[sup]a-5[/sup], 19/19[sup]a-6[/sup]

Cooldown

[I]- I'm still keeping an eye to my shoulder, wanting to add in pike pushups. My impromptu deload week last week set them back a little bit -- I want to get a little more volume on pullups first.

- I was a little worried about the knee, but as of the next day, it seems to be almost entirely gone.[/I]

And finally...

C2TQd39G_o.jpg

I made curry paste!

I made it at 8 PM, after my workout, and I pissed my upstairs neighbors the hell off pounding my mortar and pestle for an hour... but I made it.

As you can see, I had more than enough ingredients to make both red AND green. I wound up with about a cup and a half of each, which will be plenty to keep me in business for a couple of months at least.

By the time I washed the bits of pulverized chile off my kitchen surfaces (and myself), and could actually make dinner, I was exhausted. I wound up dragging out all the leftovers I had in my fridge -- old rice, roast chicken, a fresh pineapple chunk, some scraps of makrut limes and shallots -- and I made a red curry fried rice with a spoonful of my freshly-made curry paste. It was inspired by some red curries I've seen with roast duck and pineapple. I don't usually like saucy fried rice dishes, but for this -- especially at close to 10 PM -- I happily made an exception.

Edit: huh, this is unfortunate, the BBcode that used to work for formatting my workout logs seems to have broken with the update... I'm googling around, but having a tough time to find a way to solve it or change the code. Anyone happen to know what changed with the boards in the update?

\b bold test

\b0

• Like 4

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

Happy birthday Paul! I'm pretty late on this, but I hope you had a good time :)

I'm glad your knee seems to be doing good. Great job on knowing when to back off when things don't feel right. In regards to the handstands are you just hovering slightly away from the wall then letting yourself fall back onto it? Seems like a good idea, I still have a mental block when it comes to freestanding.

On 11/24/2020 at 2:43 PM, PaulG said:

Gate vaults over a drop.

I don't know if you are into that sort of thing, but this is the same technique I use to get into my human flag negatives.

On 11/24/2020 at 2:43 PM, PaulG said:

I don't think this reverse spatchcock has any real advantage, aside from preserving the chicken's supposedly delicious butt -- which, in a cruel twist of fate, my guest ate before I had a chance to sample it. Maybe this calls for a repeat experiment?

Absolutely necessary.  For science, of course.

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

20 hours ago, PaulG said:

Edit: huh, this is unfortunate, the BBcode that used to work for formatting my workout logs seems to have broken with the update... I'm googling around, but having a tough time to find a way to solve it or change the code. Anyone happen to know what changed with the boards in the update?

Yeah, a lot f things got tweaked in the latest update but they are working hard on fixing it.  If something isn't working for you you can raise it here.  Spezzy has bee great about getting on top of all the bugs

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yeah, a lot f things got tweaked in the latest update but they are working hard on fixing it.  If something isn't working for you you can raise it here.  Spezzy has bee great about getting on top of all the bugs

Thanks! Just posted. Hopefully they can bring back some kind of formatting code support... it’s nice both for my workout logs and long-form posts, and I would guess I’m not the only one who uses it.

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Absolutely necessary.  For science, of course.

For science!

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I don't know if you are into that sort of thing, but this is the same technique I use to get into my human flag negatives.

That is a GREAT idea. I haven’t tried a human flag in a while, since I know it’s a bit beyond me at the moment, but I’m gonna keep that in the back pocket...

21 hours ago, Vidd said:

In regards to the handstands are you just hovering slightly away from the wall then letting yourself fall back onto it? Seems like a good idea, I still have a mental block when it comes to freestanding.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Yes. When I practice handstands, I go stomach-to-wall and walk myself up until my hands are an inch or two away from the wall. Then I get one leg straight and slowly lift the other away from the wall. I try to resist falling back onto the wall; if I overbalance, I can pirouette out or gymnastics-roll out.

The mental block against overbalancing tends to hold people back the most; I got rid of that by learning the roll and pirouette bails. Then, I had to learn to keep balancing for as long as possible, rather than giving in to the fear and bailing too early.

My balance sucks right now, but I hope I’ll be able to move away from the wall pretty soon.

Now, day log time before bed...

Wednesday, 11/25

Mobility Day: Somewhat truncated hip mobility work on Wednesday, but it does bring me to a solid 2/2 for Week 5.

Food Log:  Done.

Work Break Minutes: 35 minutes, not counting lunch.

Sleep Hours: 8 hours, even.

- Fried after work. I did my mobility work, mixed the dough for Thanksgiving day’s bread, and crawled into bed at 10:30.

• Like 4

Cowardly Assassin

I was going to post a day log, but yesterday was Thanksgiving in the States, so mobility? Nah, holiday. Food log? Nah, same. I basically gave myself the day off from everything. BUT! I did get 10 hours of sleep last night, so that’s something.

I also STARTED to do my usual Thursday workout... but it was 7 AM, I wasn’t feeling my best, and I had a bunch of cooking and packing to do before I headed to my mom’s house for the holiday. So I got in a single set each of archer rows and dips, and felt enough stress in my elbows that I decided to let myself off the hook for the rest of the day.

• Like 2

Cowardly Assassin

Oops I'm late but Happy birthday!

Love the vid, so Assassin-y :D

On 11/26/2020 at 10:28 AM, Vidd said:

Seems like a good idea, I still have a mental block when it comes to freestanding.

On 11/27/2020 at 8:19 AM, PaulG said:

Yes. When I practice handstands, I go stomach-to-wall and walk myself up until my hands are an inch or two away from the wall. Then I get one leg straight and slowly lift the other away from the wall. I try to resist falling back onto the wall; if I overbalance, I can pirouette out or gymnastics-roll out.

The mental block against overbalancing tends to hold people back the most; I got rid of that by learning the roll and pirouette bails. Then, I had to learn to keep balancing for as long as possible, rather than giving in to the fear and bailing too early.

My balance sucks right now, but I hope I’ll be able to move away from the wall pretty soon.

Learning to bail is a difficult one. The side bail  on pbarz started to come to me about what, 6 months ago? When I started handstands, I did very little wall exercises for that very reason (the wall is also a pain with pbarz).  I ended up learning free standing from day 1 and bailing in a sort of bridge on my sofa. Then on the floor.  It's not something I felt like doing in chest to wall 🤕 The roll was also an option but I needed a good landing place. So all in all, I got used to bailing in a bridge.

I would not particularly recommend that approach though  :P But it's true that getting over the fear is a big milestone. Whatever works for you and is safe enough. 

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

22 hours ago, @mu said:

Oops I'm late but Happy birthday!

Love the vid, so Assassin-y :D

22 hours ago, @mu said:

Learning to bail is a difficult one. The side bail  on pbarz started to come to me about what, 6 months ago? When I started handstands, I did very little wall exercises for that very reason (the wall is also a pain with pbarz).  I ended up learning free standing from day 1 and bailing in a sort of bridge on my sofa. Then on the floor.  It's not something I felt like doing in chest to wall 🤕 The roll was also an option but I needed a good landing place. So all in all, I got used to bailing in a bridge.

I would not particularly recommend that approach though  :P But it's true that getting over the fear is a big milestone. Whatever works for you and is safe enough. 

I like to think that when the time comes for p-bar bails, my long experience doing weird stuff on rails will help some of the fear.

Not wanting to go chest to wall totally makes sense if you didn't have much space for bailing! I got lucky -- gymnastics as a kid made me very comfortable with cartwheels, so the pirouette always felt really natural for me. It's been harder for me to learn to resist bailing -- to fight for my balance instead, even if I'm afraid I'll tump over.

--

All right, first off, let's hit a quick Thanksgiving postmortem.
  • Shio koji-cured roast turkey crown: Not so amazing. The unfamiliarity of cooking a poultry crown (which still has a cavity) and my failure to take into account the koji coating (which is basically a big glaze of bacterially-produced simple sugars) combined to create an embarrassing failure. I overcooked the turkey breast, and I burned the skin. Not fun. At least the sandwiches for the days after have been okay...
  • Charred Brussels Sprouts and Leek Muchim With Coffee-Dijon Dressing: this was probably my favorite of all the new things I tried. The mustard's pungency and the coffee's bitterness was a nice break from all the rich, savory dishes. Note to self: next time, cook those leeks just a touch before adding them to the salad.
  • Sage and sausage stuffing: It's so hard to mess up a decent stuffing that you almost don't need a recipe, right? It was great. Only problem was, I only used about half the bread I expected to... now I have a bag of leftover toasted/stale bread cubes to find a use for.
  • Cranberry sauce: no recipe needed, no surprises. It's friggin cranberries.
  • Bread: another failure. The apartment was cold, I tried to rush the final proof before baking on Thanksgiving morning, and I paid for it: the loaf had a big chunk of underbaked, dense dough in the center. Not my finest hour.
  • Pear galette: SO GLAD I practiced this beforehand. It went off without a hitch, probably the best thing I made all day. The Thanksgiving version was even prettier than the practice run, and the pears were riper. Gold star. Not the last time I'll make a galette.
So, that's it for the holiday! I desperately need to write my challenge wrap-up (not to mention the next challenge), but let's quickly catch up on the final day logs...

Thursday, 11/26

Most goals were ON HOLD, because Thanksgiving.

Sleep Hours: 9 hours, 15 minutes.

Friday, 11/27

Mobility Day: Messed around more with hip flexor exercises and hamstring work throughout the day.

Food Log: Nope

Work Break Minutes: Still off work!

Sleep Hours: 9 hours.

Saturday, 11/28

Mobility Day: Played around with some more hip mobility, but my heart wasn’t really in it. This was supposed to be a workout day, but for some reason I was exhausted all through my warmup and only managed to get in my archer rows and handstands before throwing in the towel.

Food Log: Still no.

Work Break Minutes: Still on holiday here!

Sleep Hours: 8 hours, even.

- I got lots of sleep over the holiday weekend, but for some reason I was still kind of dragging myself around, tired and a little congested. I got a covid test right before Thanksgiving, so I'm reasonably sure it's not anything too horrifying, but I think I might have just the tiniest case of the sniffles. Since I was out of sorts, and on holiday to boot, I gave myself a pass on food logs until Monday.

• Like 2

Cowardly Assassin

Okay, I'm late posting this workout log for 11/28 and 11/29, let's throw that in a spoiler.

Spoiler
Workout Log 11/28/20
Warmup

Wall HS Holds: 10sc-x, 4sc-e, 6sc-e

Incline Archer Rows: 6/6b-e, 6/6a-x, 7/6.5b-y

Stool Dips: 10a-e, 10a-x, 10a-x

FG Ring Pullups: 8a-x, 8b-e, 10a-x, 7b-x

L-Sits: 12sb-x, 12sa-x, 13sc-y

Compression Work: 4x10s
Cooldown

- I did the first two exercises on 11/28, and the rest on 11/29.

Better late then never! It's...

Challenge Wrap-up Time

1. Strength: 3x6 weighted pistol squats +12lbs. This goal was kind of a moving target, as my legs didn't seem to react great to weighting squats. First, my knees complained, and now I seem to have some impingement-y feelings starting in the anterior portion of the left hip. So I was hoping to make it to 3x8, but ultimately I only made it to 3x7. I still met the goal, though it was fairly conservative, so I'll give myself a straight-across A.

2. Mobility: Continue mobility/light skill days 2x/week. I did the thing! Mostly. Except for Week 4, when I didn't quite meet the two days I set out for myself. I also made the mistake of not doing any tests at the start, so I'd have a benchmark to see if it's making any difference.

However, I did a couple tests earlier today and found that I'm back to being able to sit with my legs flat on the ground, with my back VERY CLOSE to neutral -- so I've got a near-90 degree pike position. On top of that, I can now touch my fingertips to my toes, which is not something I've been able to do in years. So I'll call this a success. Plugging away at flexibility and mobility near-daily seems to have had an effect. A-.

3. Diet: Log food every day. There wasn't a lot to this goal, honestly. I've had an idea I would start to bulk again for a while now, and I wanted to make sure I had half-decent data on my maintenance calories before I started messing around. I got what I wanted -- with the exception of one or two weekends, and the holiday, I DID log every day. It was enough data to conclude: it looks like I maintain more or less exactly at 2850 kcal/day, after I subtract out calories for my strength training. So now, it looks like I'm ready for either a quick cut or possibly a move straight into a short-ish bulk -- I have some thinking to do about where I want to go with this. Either way, I accomplished everything I wanted to here, so A+.

4. Life/Recovery: Accumulate at least 50.75 hours of sleep per week. I logged every day, and discovered that I tend to undersleep during the week and make it up on the weekend -- no surprise, I guess. And I also tracked closely enough to follow myself mindfully through a period of mild insomnia midway through my challenge, when I had a lot of trouble getting to sleep at a decent hour. I still need to find a way to set a more solid bedtime, but I learned some important things. Plus, I DID actually get the amount of sleep I set out to get. A+.

5. Life/Mental Health: Maintain a steady break schedule during work hours: don’t leave my desk except on breaks. I said at the start this would be hardest, and it was. I started out fairly strong, and I timed myself throughout my challenge; but I totally lost sight of the 50 minutes work/10 minutes break system I'd originally set for myself, and I struggled to stay at my desk and time my breaks consistently. Plus, ultimately I don't feel it made me more productive. I tried, but not as hard as I could have, and results were rather lackluster, so I think this one ends up a C+.

Overall, I accomplished most of the things I set out to do! The only thing I'm still struggling with in a major way is work. Let's call this challenge an A-.

So... not bad!

So... where from here? I have been thinking a lot about what my next steps are... after all, we are quickly coming up on a year since my fitness reboot back in March. When I (re)started all this, I wrote out a whole list of short- and long-term goals. I'm sure there will be some more posts on how I can kick off the new year in the weeks to come, and what goals still haven't been crossed off that I'd like to refocus on.

BUT! There's no time right now! Right now, it's the holidays, and we all have a frivolous mini-challenge to throw ourselves into. So let's make a drink, get cozy, and do some dumb holiday stuff together.

See you there!

• Like 2

Cowardly Assassin

11 hours ago, PaulG said:

1. Strength: 3x6 weighted pistol squats +12lbs. This goal was kind of a moving target, as my legs didn't seem to react great to weighting squats. First, my knees complained, and now I seem to have some impingement-y feelings starting in the anterior portion of the left hip. So I was hoping to make it to 3x8, but ultimately I only made it to 3x7. I still met the goal, though it was fairly conservative, so I'll give myself a straight-across A.

[...]
However, I did a couple tests earlier today and found that I'm back to being able to sit with my legs flat on the ground, with my back VERY CLOSE to neutral -- so I've got a near-90 degree pike position. On top of that, I can now touch my fingertips to my toes, which is not something I've been able to do in years. So I'll call this a success. Plugging away at flexibility and mobility near-daily seems to have had an effect. A-.

BIG WOOT.

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 11/23/2020 at 9:32 PM, PaulG said:

we tasted the eggnog we’d started aging last month

HOMEMEADE! EGGNOG!!!!

That gate vault looks really cool, and actually super useful to be able to do smoothly. (I mean. If you anticipate... situations where you might need to do that. Hahaha.)

Current challenge: Tei gets the zoomies 

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12,  13, 14, 15, 16, 17