Attention Deficit Support

Guys, lockdown is tough. Does anyone want to do things like peer coaching and body doubling? I'm not an expert, but I gather there are good ways to do this.

My personal request if we do this: that we keep it practical, positive, and solutions-focused. NF is good at that, but I've seen a lot of online forums turn into venting a lot of negativity, despair, and giving up. It can become contagious and sets a tone that makes helping harder. I don't mean not talking about difficult things, but that it be done in a mindful, solution-focused way, where the emotion is observed and analysed rather than given free expression.

Edited with this useful and relevant thing:

• Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Body doubling for attention deficit? How do you see this work? Can you elaborate?

I totally get the idea of keeping things positive and solution-oriented and agree with it 100%. 

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

16 hours ago, aramis said:

Body doubling for attention deficit? How do you see this work? Can you elaborate?

I think it depends very much on how many people join in, and what their sharing comfort zones are. I've seen it done in person, which is out for several reasons, and I've seen it done on video calls, which is more pandemic friendly, but may be more than the average participant wants to do. I don't see why it couldn't be done on voice or text chat, even though those are probably less optimal. I think so long as it's real-time and there's a way to check in at the start and share updates at the end, it'll be good enough.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Let's see if we can get something going here. A one-hour work session weekly on Thursdays at 1pm EST, to give the most timezones a chance to join. We all show up at the same time and work by ourselves on any project that needs work, with a quick check-in at the beginning and end of the hour to talk about how it went.

The right medium is, I think, still experimental. The first week or two, let's start with using this thread. Then we can see if this is giving enough social reinforcement, or if we need something with more real-time social feedback.

• Like 1

Late to my own party! I have some things to finish before I run  some errands. That's my hour today.

• Hydrate
  • Plague prep
  • Task 1
  • Maybe task 2

Okay, all done within the hour. I'll try to be better about starting on time next week.

On 11/9/2020 at 8:56 PM, sarakingdom said:

Guys, lockdown is tough. Does anyone want to do things like peer coaching and body doubling? I'm not an expert, but I gather there are good ways to do this.

My personal request if we do this: that we keep it practical, positive, and solutions-focused. NF is good at that, but I've seen a lot of online forums turn into venting a lot of negativity, despair, and giving up. It can become contagious and sets a tone that makes helping harder. I don't mean not talking about difficult things, but that it be done in a mindful, solution-focused way, where the emotion is observed and analysed rather than given free expression.

This usually happens with me (as you probably noticed). I start off, people are really suportive, then the negativity starts to creep it, and that's probably why I keep ghosting you guys. 😬

Anyway, what's the deal, a weekly Thursday hour check-in?

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Machete said:

This usually happens with me (as you probably noticed). I start off, people are really suportive, then the negativity starts to creep it, and that's probably why I keep ghosting you guys. 😬

Nooooo! Are we getting too negative for you?

27 minutes ago, Machete said:

Anyway, what's the deal, a weekly Thursday hour check-in?

At the moment, yeah. Sorta experimenting to see what works, ya know? For one hour, we all work at the same time on our own projects, and check in and out as the peer reinforcement stuff. (I've seen people do this all on the same video call for an hour, just working silently on their own stuff till the check-in at the end, and maybe that's where this will head if doing it here isn't enough for folks.)

11 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Nooooo! Are we getting too negative for you?

At the moment, yeah. Sorta experimenting to see what works, ya know? For one hour, we all work at the same time on our own projects, and check in and out as the peer reinforcement stuff. (I've seen people do this all on the same video call for an hour, just working silently on their own stuff till the check-in at the end, and maybe that's where this will head if doing it here isn't enough for folks.)

Nonono, I get negative, and I don't want to bring that energy, so I bail. We're like dogs with our troubles--when one of us howls, we all start howling. 😆

Hmm. Might be a good thing to have something scheduled that would force one to do chores. 🤨 Cool idea.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Machete said:

Nonono, I get negative, and I don't want to bring that energy, so I bail. We're like dogs with our troubles--when one of us howls, we all start howling. 😆

This challenge, you'd better sit and stay.  Just sayin'.

13 minutes ago, Machete said:

Hmm. Might be a good thing to have something scheduled that would force one to do chores. 🤨 Cool idea.

Awesome. See you on Thursday.

• Like 1

I'm sorry sometimes things get negative but please KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK! YOU'RE AMAZING!!!!

• Like 1

“The world bursts at the seams with people ready to tell you you're not good enough. On occasion, some may be correct. But do not do their work for them. Seek any job; ask anyone out; pursue any goal. Don't take it personally when they say 'no' — they may not be smart enough to say 'yes.” - Keith Olbermann

I'm late to my own party, but I am here.

This hour's list:

• Hydrate
  • Write a difficult email
  • Make a fresh afternoon list of tasks

ETA: A bit light on the hydration, but it's a start, so that's good.

• Like 1

Is it okay if I join? (If not, I'll refrain from posting in the future :) )

1 pm EST is apparantly 8 pm (GMT +1) but I can work with that.

Currently the things that my brain found too chaotic to deal with (before I saw your messages) was:

* Clearing the pile of clothes that had gathered on the stationary bike (check)

* Getting a power strip for it because the new room it was put in to make space for the Christmas tree does not have an outlet near enough to it (check)

* Dress and hydrate and set up music

* Do my peddling... 30 minutes on speed 3 or 4 tops because I have taken a long break and like building it up

* Do my stretches

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

11 minutes ago, Aθena said:

Is it okay if I join?

Of course you can! Get working. :D

I think it's only 7pm GMT+1. I'm an hour late this week.

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

Of course you can! Get working. :D

Yes ma'am 🤩

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

I think it's only 7pm GMT+1. I'm an hour late this week.

Ahh yes it is. Cool :)

What distracted me and had it take all a bit longer was:

* The bike cable not connecting well, it was already held together with duct tape and it had moved during its move

* Finding new shoulder stretches

If you all are interested in still doing this come January, I'll hop in and give it a try! This is my last day of work before the holidays, but once I resume work in two weeks I need to set up a reporting routine because I keep losing track of projects and want that to stop. So I could make this time (the hour before lunch in my timezone) when I update all of my projects and comb through my backlog. I was feeling angsty about needing to find a coworker to body double for me to get this done and it hadn't occurred to me that by the plague-imposed powers of virtual meeting, I could find someone similarly in need outside of my organization!

• Like 2

🌹❄️ Inside we're torn apart, but time will mend our hearts ...so let's just live 🔥🖤

Last Challenge: Fox and the Imaginary Seaside Summer | Current Challenge: Fox Keeps it Simple (with RWBY gifs)

On 12/18/2020 at 2:28 PM, foxinthenorth said:

If you all are interested in still doing this come January, I'll hop in and give it a try! This is my last day of work before the holidays, but once I resume work in two weeks I need to set up a reporting routine because I keep losing track of projects and want that to stop. So I could make this time (the hour before lunch in my timezone) when I update all of my projects and comb through my backlog. I was feeling angsty about needing to find a coworker to body double for me to get this done and it hadn't occurred to me that by the plague-imposed powers of virtual meeting, I could find someone similarly in need outside of my organization!

Absolutely, I'm hoping it'll become an ongoing thing! We can adjust times and methods to suit needs as people join, they were chosen largely at random. (Although the time was picked in part for maximum timezone compatibility, we can certainly change days or add times.)

• Like 1

A few minutes late today. I need to make a list of what has to get done today and take care of some decorating jobs.

• Like 1

Just to keep the habit of coming here at the forefront my mind:

I'm not going to pick up my phone at all (except maybe for photos) during today's dinner (I wonder when I started doing this during quality time after years of not doing so! ) Despite them being pretty active and me tending to retreat lately.

EDIT: I made it! 

Okay, I'll own up. I got distracted by grocery orders and meal planning. I'm gonna rerun this hour.

• Like 1

I did my timezone math wrong and I can't do the full hour, because I typically have a standing half-hour meeting right in the middle of it, but I think I might be able to do my project updating in a half hour, so this week I'll check in at the starting time and see if the 30-minute slot works for me, and report back after the meeting which should be around the end of the hour. :)

• Like 1

🌹❄️ Inside we're torn apart, but time will mend our hearts ...so let's just live 🔥🖤

Last Challenge: Fox and the Imaginary Seaside Summer | Current Challenge: Fox Keeps it Simple (with RWBY gifs)

I did not do the thing. I'm still setting up my projects for this quarter and didn't have any updates, and so I didn't have a clear plan for the hour, alas. I still think this check in method could work for a specific task at a specific time, but I found the monkey tamer thread and even though my main problem is not really procrastination I might give that method a try.

• Like 1

I made it on time this week! I shall do tidying over my lunch hour. There will be a list soon. (My tidying will start with hydration and a fresh list.)

If this time doesn't work for the people who want to use it, we can move it, no problem. It was chosen at random, with some minor time zone juggling. Is there a day that works better?

• Like 2