Attention Deficit Support

Unfortunately I got a little side-tracked last night, but I did process the day and plan for the next day and got in bed at a very, very decent time. (And took advantage of the earlyish evening by having an early morning and actually dóing my morning routine for when I stay home.) The day's been going quite well, too, even though I keep have to call my brain to order. But the thing is, I actually do and it listens and I breathe and don't feel like I am twisting my own arm. 

Here's hoping, here's hoping that... Well, that I have more days like this :D

• That's Metal 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

I'm not late (I am), I just refuse to admit it's Thursday (that too).

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 2/9/2021 at 7:19 AM, Athena said:

The day's been going quite well, too, even though I keep have to call my brain to order. But the thing is, I actually do and it listens and I breathe and don't feel like I am twisting my own arm. 

How did you manage this magic? :D

• Haha 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 2/11/2021 at 7:35 PM, sarakingdom said:

How did you manage this magic? :D

I was wondering as well... I think it's me having pleasant colleagues on these Wednesdays that are sparking my law nerd side. Plus I guess I am masochistically looking forward to the deadlines of the upcoming course period.

"It must be the New moon in Aquarius" 😜 No, I am pretty sure it's also that I am learning how to not self-defeat with all sorts of overthinking. Once I actually get used to that (and have that as a new awesome habit) I will have to think of something new. Or I will soon be back to arm twisting, maybe in just an hour, because I cannot decide what to do on my to-dolist, since it is a very odd sensation that I actually have been finishing everything these past few days and I am looking around thinking "wtf I can actually get to TODAY'S to-dos?! This is so weird! Obviously I can spend some time reading or doing something fun, can't I?!" Who knows. We'll see. 

Will check out the links, thanks!

EDIT:

Also, fond this as I have been thinking about habit stacking...

On 2/12/2021 at 10:55 AM, Athena said:

my law nerd side. Plus I guess I am masochistically looking forward to the deadlines of the upcoming course period.

Confirmed! The other day I procrastinated on another task by preparing my lecture file and reading an article and a case for one of the  modules that starts on Thursday.

Report:

I started at 8:40ish PM instead of 8:00, and I got side-tracked by so many things. OR you could say I applied the 5-minute-rule, ticking of tasks I thought would take 5 mins :D And then finally finished the task I had set out to do: finishing my weekly planning & make a meal plan of sorts for the coming 6 days. (After an inventory of things I want to finish out of the fridge/cupboard.)

Yesterday planning wasn't finished because I got side-tracked by sorting a pile of paper on my desk that had been there for ages... (Delegating part of it to future me, because it's for the uni course paper  archive and that is a separate project.)

Today, my first lecture day in months, was alright... I was a bit shocked by the different (sooner) deadlines than I expected, though.  I will make it work but I will not be able to keep up with the "max. 4 tasks other-than-the-usual-things-you-do on a semi-functioning day" vibe I had going on. Sigh. Oh well! Better make sure I keep breathing and being very selective with OTHER to-dos I have (if possible??) so I don't get overwhelmed... Or at least not as much as I could... Speaking of which, I need to plan in "breathers/moments to process/ give my brain some low-stimulation moments"... Meditations? Staring?  Bed? Something!

At least I am starting to get teh hang of this "formulate to-dos that are of similar length for a sliiightly more realistic to-dolist".

And making use of master to-dolists to keep track of a biiig projects' broken up to-dos. (And use those pages to break them up further into smaller pieces if I get inspiration)

And all along, trying not to spend my time only planning... :D 

Alright, that's all I have to say that is not tangents. Speak soon!

• Like 1

Completely missed the usual hour today. I've spent all day working on a technical task that I estimated would take 3 hours. I made that estimate after timing myself doing part of it around 3:45pm on Friday when I was in a pretty good groove, which meant that I did not account for 1) technical difficulties/malfunctions 2) getting distracted or interrupted 3) how long it takes when not in a groove. Which is to say. It's been 6 hours and I'm not done yet. Planning for the week hasn't happened since I wanted to get this done first. If I get it done, I'll do my planning at 4:30pm, if not, tomorrow at 9:15am.

I've been writing down distracting impulses on a piece of paper next to my keyboard and it's been working really well. I've read about that technique before and was skeptical, never gave it a really good try, but this time! I don't know if it's because my therapist told me to do it and I try to do things she tells me to do because I pay her, or because I did some meditation practice last challenge which constantly reminded me to "exercise the attention muscle" but it's actually helping curb rabbit trails. Even if I open a new tab or window or grab my phone before I catch myself, having a concrete thing to do (pick up the pen and write it down) gives my brain enough traction to stop and at least try to go back to what I'm supposed to be doing. It feels like what meditation was trying to get me to do: notice the impulse. But in sitting meditation, it's too vague for me and I have trouble applying in day to day life. Having a physical action to do is helping a lot.

I haven't watched the videos you've posted yet! I will hopefully get around to them soon. Thanks for sharing! :) 

• Like 1

🌹❄️ Inside we're torn apart, but time will mend our hearts ...so let's just live 🔥🖤

Last Challenge: Fox and the Imaginary Seaside Summer | Current Challenge: Fox Keeps it Simple (with RWBY gifs)

8 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

not account for

Yeah... They say - because humans are bad at time estimations - you should make an estimation and then do that times 2.

I have been having the physical aversion to doing that because it would result in me writing down max 1 or 2 things on a day :D Even if that is what happens in practice, it is much too nice to have the idea that I can pursue a slightly bigger fraction of the things I want in life... Then, if the plan goes sideways, fine. A plan is nothing but planning is everything (Eisenhower) riiiight :D

8 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

Having a physical action to do is helping a lot.

Awesome!!! :)

I could not today.

I was gaining momentum with the 4 tasks a day plan. I was getting ready to up it slowly.

I even had that intention when the course work would start.

But this week all I could get done uni wise was

Spoiler

1) get my thesis proposal out to one supervisor (finally), but she did not have time for this year (anymore) (ow)

2-5) Send it to another supervisor, email problems, contacted via Linked in, sent it to the other supervisor after fixing the bibliography up a bit more.

6) get my lecture files ready with the powerpoint slide text and read through them

7) read 1 article for one course

8 ) another for another one to get started for the assignment

9) get sorted what criteria both assignments need to adhere to

10) found lit for one of the assignments

11 and 12) had 2 lectures via Teams (monday and today), have another one tomorrow

13) discussed 1 of the 2 assignments that is groupwork over Teams

14) then this afternoon I started reading again for one assignment but then I just wanted to watch a standup show (that was very therapeutic, surprisingly)

And that is all and well but only a fraction of what I neeeeeded to get done this week.

And I let the to do list daunt me. Before the lecture, in the morning. And after it and my Teams discussion with my team mate and start with an article.

Which means I did not do anything on my todo after 4 pm.

I will call it a mental health afternoon and evening. (I was so sleepy during the day.)

What is my battle plan for tomorrow? In the morning, I will make one, based on what I have learned from the vids and podcasts and report here. Oh and I don't get to devise it for longer than 30 minutes or I will spend all day devising it...First assignment deadline is on the 23rd.

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Athena said:

What is my battle plan for tomorrow? In the morning, I will make one,

As per the initial stage of my battle plan against the Dread, I sat down and broke up the to-dos I *know* I have as small as I could,

Spoiler

recognising that the current two modules are different in essence:

• One is more classic, you prep/refresh knowledge about a topic (Evidence law in the tort law context) and during the lecture the lecturer tries to ask knowledge questions, and the assignment is you have to write an annotation to a case (that you have to pick yourself, always difficult :D ).
  • The other is more new. The things explained during the lectures aren't things you could read in a handbook or articles as such, it's about how laws are made. And the assignment is to try and write an amendment to an article of a pending legal proposal (the topics are given, fortunately).

So for the one I will also focus on refreshing my knowledge on one of the two topics (evidence law) and for the other kind-of-learning-it-anew (tort law, always find it an annoying subject to study though interesting to learn about and have only been taught it superficially in more general subjects).

and while doing that trying to find an interesting case.

For the other it is more creative/learning as you go, there are no handbooks on writing an amendment, there are websites though for law-making-lawyers...

And then planned in restful moments during the day, and bigger breaks in nice and bright pink borders (like lunch and going outside to throw the plastic and paper away at their designated containers, I'm stoked xD Well, kinda am, it's really sunny outside.)

Spoiler

I also already know what to eat, so don't have to think about that, just have to get it done. It's all either simple or left-overs...

And it all took 30 mins, excluding me typing this out because I wanted to share and actually still really don't want to start because I'm still acting like someone is making me do this. I want this, and yes, it's STUPID that the university is making me take a random subject only because they don't recognise that their 1,5 study-load-points(ECTS) are utterly meaningless, and who CARES that I did one overlapping subject at another university and for another master's, hmf. Whatever.

(Maybe I should have done their corporate law after all, but that was in autumn and I wanted to make sure that IF they make us go to uni that would be in Spring and not when everyone is sniffly because of regular colds and whatnot. Turns out I would have had long-distance education all along but I could not know that in June, when I was deciding whether to do a period 1 course or period 3 course... ) SO IT IS WHAT IT IS!!

Rant/whining over. 

Let's. Do. This. :)

(?) (!)

5 hours ago, Athena said:

Rant/whining over. 

Aaaand I forgot my lecture was at 11 today after checking the time and going "oh I am just going to send an email and read a bit"

I might have to set alarms for my lectures. Online makes it so easy to get sidetracked. Or turn on my desktop notifications when a Teams meeting gets started?!

EDIT: it was actually at 1 pm like I thought so the timetable was wrong 😂

7 hours ago, Athena said:

I might have to set alarms for my lectures. Online makes it so easy to get sidetracked. Or turn on my desktop notifications when a Teams meeting gets started?!

My company uses Google calendar so I set my defaults to give me a notification 5 minutes before (the cue to get ready) and 1 minute before (the cue to find the meeting link and join). Those time intervals work well for me.

• Like 1

🌹❄️ Inside we're torn apart, but time will mend our hearts ...so let's just live 🔥🖤

Last Challenge: Fox and the Imaginary Seaside Summer | Current Challenge: Fox Keeps it Simple (with RWBY gifs)

14 minutes ago, foxinthenorth said:

5 minutes before (the cue to get ready)

Mm, something I miss on android that I see iphones/apple calendar has is to be able to set an actual alarm instead of notifications. Or to change the sound for different things. I have notifications for other things to cue me, for breaks or vitamines. The sound for a meeting should be different 😅 But I will try it, thank you.

Although it would help for the uni timetable to be correct too lol

This is Edward Hallowell and John Ratey, authors of Driven to Distraction, one of the early and influential books on ADHD.

• Thanks 1

I could have sworn today was Wednesday. Since it's a sick day, my task for this hour is to rest, and then do something for an hour afterwards.

I will report back on all my resting.

• Like 1

Does anybody remember the name of that app that is a timer, and it grows trees, and if you use your phone while it's on the tree dies, or something like that? I am on a big struggle bus and the call of webcomics is very hard to ignore...

I have been absent, so I have brought gifts:

• Like 2

I will not start watching a two hour video while I'm supposed to be working I will not start watching a two hour video while I'm supposed to be working I will not start watching a two hour video while I'm supposed to be working 

"Later," she said, knowing full well the perils of deciding to do something later.

I'm super curious though!

edit: I watched the intro segment and I'm even more curious now...!

4 minutes ago, foxinthenorth said:

I will not start watching a two hour video while I'm supposed to be working I will not start watching a two hour video while I'm supposed to be working I will not start watching a two hour video while I'm supposed to be working 

"Later," she said, knowing full well the perils of deciding to do something later.

I'm super curious though!

edit: I watched the intro segment and I'm even more curious now...!

Yeah, I have the same issue. That guy sciences good, but all his podcasts are two hours long, and, like... even without the inevitable ADHD issues that arise from a 2.5 hour podcast, I have rules about podcasts who can't manage concision. If I walked into this guy's classroom, he'd only get me for an hour a week.

But so far (I'm maybe halfway through), I'm not seeing obvious padding.

• Like 1