How do people react to your primal/paleo/atkins/LCHF lifestyle?

Do any of you guys find hostility from other people when they find out you are trying to be healthy by following a paleo/primal/Atkins/LCHF diet rather than the traditional low-fat one? Even tho all those diets have differences with one another, they share a common bond in viewing carbs as a factor in weight loss and fat with less hostility than the traditional low-fat diet.

I've gotten some pretty aggressive responses from people before (I made an exaggerated comic of these responses here). How do you guys normally respond and have you been able to pursuade others to try some variation of the low carb high fat diets in place of the traditional low fat?

I've gotten some pretty aggressive responses from people before (I made an exaggerated comic of these responses here). How do you guys normally respond and have you been able to pursuade others to try some variation of the low carb high fat diets in place of the traditional low fat?

A lot of the people giving the aggressive responses have been rubbed the wrong way too many times. I mean, which is the group that actually aggressively promotes its diet/lifestyle?

Every various diet and method can speak with its success, you have to be living in a bubble if you don't know several people who have successfully lost weight using various methods. I work with half a dozen people that successfully lost a lot of weight, not one of us did it the same way and not one of us really followed a set diet plan (at least that I know of). I know it is always preached that weight loss is 80% diet, but when we talk about what we did, how we ate isn't even part of the conversation except for a few remarks like less/no fast food and less junk food. Its all about the exercise. Everyone skinny I work with regularly does some form of exercise.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

It's all about what they hear vs what you actually said.

"I made cupcakes!"

"No thanks, I'm eating *insert diet name* right now."

"Oh...well, I heard that diet is really bad for you! My mother's neighbor's son's girlfriend's hair dresser's uncle was on that diet, and he had a heart attack!

"Ummm..."

Sounds ridiculous, but part of it is people feel threatened when anyone changes for the better. They hear judgement where they should hear encouragement and inspiration. You just have to be strong and hang in there. Sooner or later someone will come around asking what you did to look so good, and they'll actually listen.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

I live in the new york area and since there are so many other ethnic and religious groups that eat certain ways and loads of people who are really knowledgeable about food allergies etc. It has never been an issue. I mean, I have friends who eat Halal meat, keep kosher (no not the same people lol), eat raw vegan, are on GAPS, eat no carb, low carb, low fat, high fat, SAD, the zone and paleo...my primal/archevore aint nothing new...

I also find it works better if you do not talk about it at all. I mean, you certainly can go out to dinner with folks or eat at their house with food allergies and they accomodate you, why not simply explain it in those terms?

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

I've had people recently ask what I'm doing to lose weight. I just say "I cut grains mostly out of my diet and started going to the gym." I don't give anyone a big explanation unless they specifically ask, and no one has asked. Usually when people find out I'm doing something they wouldn't want to do themselves, they lose interest fast.

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 3 Elf Warrior

STR 9.5|DEX 6|STA 9|CON 7|WIS 8.5|CHA 2

Challenge thread

Twitter

"There is never an absolute answer to everything, except of course that you have to do your squats." - Mark Rippetoe

[/table]

If someone asks if I want something, I decline and they'll usually ask why, then I tell them either I can't eat it. If they keep pressing or ask why again, I say I'm on a diet, and then they will usually follow with "what diet?" Finally I'll tell them Paleo and they'll have me explain it. After I do, they typically comment with either "That isn't healthy" or "Is that like Atkins?" Where I usually just say "No" to either question. If they want to follow up I'll discuss it, but if not I'm on to a new conversation. I don't give them a chance to have an aggressive comment.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

lol, I was adverse to it at first, but open-minded, and it went along with eating less processed stuff. I still have to figure out what a lectin is.

i was describing paleo to a cousin and said no diary or grains, and she was like, "so what do you eat?" haha, she's so cute!

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

How old is your cousin? Because at a young age, pretty much all they eat are grains and dairy. When I'm working at the school and I have to pass the elementary kids at lunch, it seems like all they serve them is grains and dairy.

Here's an example from the actual menu from the school:

Chicken patty sandwich (white bread with breaded fried chicken with very little actual meat), Corn (grain), Fruit (never seen this on a kids' tray, but they supposedly have it every day. Either way it is sugar) and Milk.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

How old is your cousin? Because at a young age, pretty much all they eat are grains and dairy. When I'm working at the school and I have to pass the elementary kids at lunch, it seems like all they serve them is grains and dairy.

Here's an example from the actual menu from the school:

Chicken patty sandwich (white bread with breaded fried chicken with very little actual meat), Corn (grain), Fruit (never seen this on a kids' tray, but they supposedly have it every day. Either way it is sugar) and Milk.

I work at an elementary school, and I'm sad to say that this is quite representative of the food available. We do have a salad bar available, but few kids take advantage of it. If my daughters end up going to school instead of unschooling, they're definitely packing a lunch, just like Mommy does.

This is not to knock the lunch ladies, who do a great job within the guidelines provided for them. It just seems like no one is willing to consider that those guidelines might need to be changed.

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

I haven't really had any issues. Some people talk about my "weird diet," but there's no hostility. My boyfriend I think has issues with me going paleo (he doesn't think it's legit), but he's been very lovely and accommodating. The only thing is that I think he's worried about the quantity of eggs I consume and will, when making breakfast, use two eggs and a bunch of egg whites instead of only eggs like I use. He'll also offer me non-paleo things he's made a LOT - beans, tofu, etc. I just don't think he realizes that I'm willing to occasionally have non-paleo things, but only if I'm craving them, not just out of curiosity.

I work at an elementary school, and I'm sad to say that this is quite representative of the food available. We do have a salad bar available, but few kids take advantage of it. If my daughters end up going to school instead of unschooling, they're definitely packing a lunch, just like Mommy does.

This is not to knock the lunch ladies, who do a great job within the guidelines provided for them. It just seems like no one is willing to consider that those guidelines might need to be changed.

Truth! That's actually why I want to be a registered dietician...so I can spend my life fighting the system and hopefully get some changes made in our schools, hospitals and nursing homes.

My kids' schools do provide a marge salad as an alternative to whatever the main course is, and it's an excellent chef's salad. My children often choose that on days they don't pack their lunches.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

I get lots of hostility and general disbelief. Someone yesterday actually looked terribly shocked and hurt and said very loudly "But you have to eat carbs. Your body requires them". I explained I get plenty from all the veg I eat and that I eat at least 6-9 cups of spinach alone. She said "that's not healthy you need bread or pasta". LOL. The other one was sucking down sugared yogurt telling me how she doesn't eat anything bad for her so it's basically the same. I just said "uh huh. Yeah, I don't eat sugar."

I also find people just don't understand so I don't give much detail. "But can you eat fruit?" "But what about pizza?" "Do you eat bagels for breakfast?". 3 people offered me pizza and soda yesterday.

I also find most people are just hung up on our cultural practices. Food is sooooo socially dictated and has such important psychological meaning for us. So this is a hard conversation for people to have.

When people ask how I lost weight or "what I'm doing" I say "major lifestyle change". If they push, I say I changed my diet significantly. Usually they just go "oooh" b/c they don't want to hear hard work in changing your diet is what helps you lose weight. They want me to say I have a quick fix.

Then I tell them I added heavy weightlifting to my workout and they usually leave. LOL

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I'm still trying to stick with the diet, but I've told some friends and family that I'm doing it to see if it helps with my eczema (which is part of the reason why, but not entirely), which might be related to gluten issues. They all said something like, "oh that sounds like a good idea, good luck."

Most people don't really care. A few will ask deeper questions or make a comment about who said what, but they usually drop it when they realize that nothing they say will change how I eat (which I make clear if they make those comments). Another few actually talk about how awesome it sounds but they can't do it for X, Y, and Z reason, after which I'll usually question them a bit and make them realize it's not all that difficult. Good times.

Sounds ridiculous, but part of it is people feel threatened when anyone changes for the better. They hear judgement where they should hear encouragement and inspiration. You just have to be strong and hang in there. Sooner or later someone will come around asking what you did to look so good, and they'll actually listen.

Yes. This. So much this.

Everybody wants you to get by- just not by them.

In the wise words of Bill Lewis [paraphrased]: "Nobody ever questioned me when I was living my life before, but then, when I started to change my life for the better and improve myself, then everyone had opinions. But if somebody wants to criticize you when you're trying to improve your life, what's their motivation? What's their end goal?"

For background, Bill's a guy I know who grew up in a bad city here in MI, started a business as an adult, got all sorts of negative from people saying it wouldn't ever work, and he was always going to be a loser, etc, and now he's a multi-millionaire. So...uh...there's that. Unfortunately, the people who know the least usually know it the loudest.

Now of course, it's okay to be ignorant...it's just not okay to stay ignorant. And if anybody wants to say you're doing something dumb when they haven't even done their research...well, that's ignorant.

I've taken to just telling people that I'm trying to eat more natural stuff and less processed/man-made stuff. And that's usually a sufficient explanation for them.

Cowboy - Human Adventurer
STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

It's all about what they hear vs what you actually said.

Sounds ridiculous, but part of it is people feel threatened when anyone changes for the better. They hear judgement where they should hear encouragement and inspiration.

I think that's some people, but I think a lot of it is people feeling threatened when anyone is different period - better or worse. IME, the same type of people who poke at any "healthy" diet (outside of allergy or religous-based ones, and sometimes even then!) will be pestering the people eating doughnuts and fast food.

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --
STR 26 | DEX 13 | STA 19 | CON 7 | WIS 14 | CHA 14

On a related note, I find that a lot of people simply don't "get" my philosophy when it comes to junk food/treats.

My philosophy is this - it's unhealthy, I know it's unhealthy. I'll eat it when it's WORTH IT, when it's a special food for a special occasion, not just because it's there. Meaning that no, I'm not particularly interested in going to Pizza Hut for lunch, or having some chips from the bowl that was delivered to the meeting. If I'm going to eat something that's unhealthy, I'm going make sure it's absolutely amazing and worth it, like the chocolate pate that I split with my mom on Mothers' Day this past weekend, homemade Christmas cookies, or some real, authentic crab cakes(screw the gluten in the bread crumbs, I'm eating them ALL!). Birthdays(of *close* friends and family members), holidays, and other celebratory occasions are fair game. "We brought donuts to this 8AM meeting" doesn't qualify.

Treats are treats, not every day foods. The closest to a "treat" food that I eat with any kind of regularity is frozen berries. If that's the most sugar-laden thing I'm eating, I figure I'm doing pretty well.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

SuperVillain's greatest adversary in previous low-carb diets he's attempted has been the very creature who spawned him. She is always chastising him "those huge chunks of red meat" are so bad for me. Mean while she has struggled with weight watchers for 35 years and still remains overweight. She is basically the poster child for non-paleo. She'll eat healthy during the day, then binge on "low fat" pretzels at night because she is unfulfilled. She, as he does/did, havethe typical blood sugar rush/crash cycle of metabolic syndrome.

He can bide his villainous wrath, as the woman's chastisements come from years of government and dietician recommendations and what she believes is a concern for his health. Hopefully a solid improvement in blood panels after my first 60 days of paleo will put all this to rest.

MMA Sessions Completed for this Challenge

65%
65%

Lifting Sessions Complete For this Challenge

64%
64%

Level 2 Yeti Monk Str: 3 Dex:2 Sta:4 Con:3 Wis:2 Cha:2 

SuperVillain's full origin story: http://goo.gl/23F7WK

Yeah my mother won't completely buy in to paleo either, "all that fat."

I've lost 40 lbs, my dad has lost almost 20, my brother 10....I'm not sure how many more examples she needs. I also had blood work done 3 weeks ago that showed near perfect levels of everything, and that didn't do it.

Robb Wolf claims there's 25% of the population that will never buy in no matter how much evidence or promoting you do. They simply won't change.

Weight loss goal (38 lbs by March 21)

16%
16%

Time elapsed (Started July 27)

9%
9%

July 26 Challenge Thread