Hihihi! .. i'm super shy, so be nice! .. looking for encouragement, fitness for emotional well-being

Hello fellow nerds, short-time lurking, but from what I've seen this is a -very- nice place! .. You should all be so proud! (hats off! pats on the back to all of you!)

First off: I want to take care of myself.  I *think* I'm in the right place.  I googled "fitness guides for nerds" and ta-da, here I am. :)  I like the forum aspect, wow how you all encourage ea other; abs amazing!  I want to be a part of that, and I think one reason I cannot consistently fitness is I don't have a good support group (or one at all).  So hello motivators, don't be afraid to push me!

About me: Total total nerd; you are in like company if you identify as such!  I love computers, the internet, some anime, etc. Engineer by profession. .. Fit, but not an athlete, if that makes sense.  I move around, but I haven't been to a gym (before this year) since about 2007.  (eep).  With winter coming (I'm in New England USA) I'm worried I'll be slacking and not moving as much as I should (I also have a new desk job, that is very sedentary). .. I'm also a bit of a string-bean, Male age 40, 5'8" (1.72m), 138lbs wet (62.6kgs).  I would lovelovelove to bulk up my arms and wrists a bit, to have a little more strength there, and who wouldn't want a stronger core too? .. My legs, I think, are probably my strongest/best part.

What I do now for exercise: Kayak in summer, like a lot, a lot.  Climb a 5k foot (1500m) mountain 1-2 times a year.  Bike 10+ miles (16km) about 5 times a year. .. Other than kayaking, nothing is consistent. .. I love to cook, so I tend to eat well, very balanced, in fact usually vegan twice a week, but I get enough protein, etc.  So diet I'm not too worried about.  [I also have CKD, so diet watching is kind of mandatory].

What I want to do for exercise: Use the fitness room at work!  It's full of machines, I *think* it's well-stocked.  Not the faintest idea how to use any of it!  well, I think I know which machine is for arms, and maybes which ones are for legs, etc.  And that's about it!  (Really digging the help here, wow!!!!) .. What I'm afraid will happen if I don't make my challenge: This will be my first and last month in the fitness room. 😂

Main Quest, my reason for joining:  I want to feel better thru fitness. (Does that work?  Do anyone of you do this?  Tell me your secrets!) .. Like emotionally, spiritually, and of course physically. I want to learn how to use the fitness room, and I want confidence in a gym! I want to go from a happiness of 4 to 7 (out of 10) to 7 to 9 (aw heck, let's go for a 10!).  I honestly feel like if I got my physical health in tip-top shape I could be waaay happier.  I very much believe the mind and body are connected, and one will always impact the other, if that makes sense.

Other smaller goals: 

1) Get motivated by you all!  I'm here to interact and be social too.  It will do me good for my self-esteem I think (some issues there).

2) Setup, and -complete- the next challenge!  I actually like that I joined mid-challenge.  I don't quite think I'm ready for the full-blown experience. 😅   I have some real solid ideas on what I want to accomplish in the upcoming challenge though!  

3) Seriously, learn the fitness equipment, such that I can operate it all effectively and safely.

Thank you all for having me!  Phew! .. Ok, time to start ripping into it, right!!!  Here's to feeling better, brought to me, by you all!!!

[Hope I did this right!  -Foxfox!]

• Like 2

Welcome!  I find that fitness helps me in a lot of areas. Building a consistent fitness practice has helped me build other consistent habits. Pushing myself  through a tough workout helps me to do other hard things. Moving more helps me combat seasonal depression.My list of how my fitness has helped me could go on and on!

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Welcome, fellow 40-something New Englander!  I use fitness for mental well-being.  Each and every physical task I do is a success.  I said I was going to it and I did it.  Win!  Not every time is actually better than the last, but it is better than not doing, and leads to better later.  And everything Elastigirl said.

I'm a body weight/ calisthenics person so I can't give too much insight to the mysteries of the gym.  But I can suggest having specific reasons for going to the gym.  Based on your stated interests, I'd suggest working toward improving your mountain climbing speed, kayaking speed or stamina, and same for biking.  But we each need to find our own drive.  (My summer running is so I can keep up with my dog in the snow.  Funny little beast thinks it's the best when it's deeper than she is tall.  And strength work is so when MrC say "whew, this is heavy" I think "really?huh?")

• Like 1

daily dare   46 45 44  43 42 41  40 39 38 37 36 35  34 32  31 30  29  28 27  26  25 24 23 22 21 20 19  18  17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 #8 #7  #6  #5 #4 #3  #2 #1

2 hours ago, Chesire said:

Each and every physical task I do is a success.  I said I was going to it and I did it.  Win! 

oh yes, stealing this mentality and owning it. .. this is great!

re: the gym, I did an hour yesterday!!!  got a ton of baselines. 😃😃😃  finding what I like, e.g. dumbbells, crazy random treadmill, leg curls... and what I don't like: pullups, pushups.

I might even try to deadlift.  Been checking out the guides! Getting motivated.  Thank you all. 😁

• Like 1