• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Alethea

Weekly Bonus Challenge!

Whew, I have 2 days to come up with something, then!

Deiter, another thought for you - jump up, and cound slowly while you hold yourself up in the top position. When you can't take it any more, sloooowly lower yourself down, rest a bit, then do it again. A week or two of doing that every day, (I'm told) you'll be able to manage a pull-up. I'm attempting to try it myself. Am up to 3x8 second holds, but chin is not above the bar or I'd brain myself on my doorway. Bar is more level with my nose. Still, shall let you know!

i totally second this method, though i think a week or two is a little optimistic :)

Deiter, another thought for you - jump up, and cound slowly while you hold yourself up in the top position. When you can't take it any more, sloooowly lower yourself down, rest a bit, then do it again. A week or two of doing that every day, (I'm told) you'll be able to manage a pull-up. I'm attempting to try it myself. Am up to 3x8 second holds, but chin is not above the bar or I'd brain myself on my doorway. Bar is more level with my nose. Still, shall let you know!

i totally second this method, though i think a week or two is a little optimistic :)

You can always speed up this process. What got me to my first full one was a week of negatives with a 20 pound vest.

You can always speed up this process. What got me to my first full one was a week of negatives with a 20 pound vest.

weighted... negatives?

as crazy as it sounds, it may just work. maybe i'll try this tomorrow, since its "look like a fool trying to do chinups on the smith machine" day anyways :)

weighted... negatives?

as crazy as it sounds, it may just work. maybe i'll try this tomorrow, since its "look like a fool trying to do chinups on the smith machine" day anyways :)

Yeah, since you can handle more weight on the negative, that means getting the first full repetition will still be a pain just doing regular negatives, so adding weight balances it out when you go up on a regular repetition, and gives you the ability to control the negative portion of the Chin-Up a lot easier.

And yes, I spend too much time thinking about this stuff. :lol:

Well since you're all experts on the subject....do chin-ups or pull-ups tend to be easier? I'm thinking chin-ups for some reason.

I bet weighted negatives would get you to a chin-up faster, but I'll see if I can even handle regular negatives first. Although I really do want to invest in a weighted vest for running/rucking so I can do my army training properly.

I took the opportunity to try out the assisted dip/chin up contraption and figured out how much weight I have to use in order to actually accomplish both with good form

There's one of those machines at my gym too. I really do need to get on it. Since I injured my shoulder a few years ago doing pull-ups has not happened without pain. Maybe I can build it back up. Here's to both of us getting some upper body strength.

Well since you're all experts on the subject....do chin-ups or pull-ups tend to be easier? I'm thinking chin-ups for some reason.

I bet weighted negatives would get you to a chin-up faster, but I'll see if I can even handle regular negatives first. Although I really do want to invest in a weighted vest for running/rucking so I can do my army training properly.

chinups are easier. definitely.

I took the opportunity to try out the assisted dip/chin up contraption and figured out how much weight I have to use in order to actually accomplish both with good form

There's one of those machines at my gym too. I really do need to get on it. Since I injured my shoulder a few years ago doing pull-ups has not happened without pain. Maybe I can build it back up. Here's to both of us getting some upper body strength.

yea do it! :mrgreen:

Did my first (almost) handstand today! Almost because I still had one foot touching the wall to help keep balance. Felt really awesome, and is something I would not even have considered remotely possible a few months ago.

chinups are easier. definitely.

Then I guess those will come first!

Absolutely Chin-Ups. However, I started with Chin-Ups, and after a month I started Pull-Up Negatives. It made a big difference going from the deadhang to the halfway up part for me of the Chin-Up.

It seems to depend on the person. They each use slightly different muscles, so it depends on your build. I got very good at wide-gripped pullups and chinups, but then Carjack pointed out that regular narrow-gripped pullups do more for many areas, and those kicked my butt relatively quickly.

Echoing what everyone here is saying, negatives definitely work. I wasn't originally able to do any of this and negatives was how I started.

Well, I really wanted to do an activity but Events Conspired Against Me and that didn't happen. Mental note: find less flakey friends. I DID, however, a) cook a full ham with bone and everything for the first time, and it turned out awesome, B) cook butternut squash and it turned out awesome, and c) cooked stewed spiced apples, and they turned out awesome.

Man, that was an awesome meal.

And I'm now swimming in ham (not literally), which is a good place to be. *sing* Ham in the morning, ham in the evening, ham at supper time....

And I'm now swimming in ham (not literally)

That's a shame...ham is a great exfoliant; it really opens up the pores. Plus any time you sweat you get a waft of that rich, meaty aroma. Mmmm....ham sweat.

RESULTS!

mgrif99 - warrior dash

alr - upside down crunches

Dawsy - powerclean

spezzy - made stew, ate bone marrow

LynnyLee - resistance bands, exercise improv

deiter - assisted dip machine

spacecoyote - made butternut squash

Carsomyr - handstands

Alethea - cooked ham, squash, and apples

prefect42 - gym at night when busy

anyone else take part?

Yes, forgot to post :oops:

I got some agave sweetener to see if I liked it in coffee. Result, acceptable. I normally use Splenda. I've got a lot of that on hand to use up and will then give the agave a good try.

Sign in to follow this