The Story of Shaleigh

I have always loved stories. So I will make a story of this journey of getting healthy.

Stepping on the scale this morning was worse than ever before so far. This is the heaviest I have ever been.

I want to keep track of measurements this time as well. But I couldn't find a measuring tape, so I had to get creative. I found a piece of non-elastic string and used the measuring tape meant for construction. At least I wont need the full 3m/9ft of it.

I hope that this is me recording the worst it ever was.  And because I am still an accountant, I am keeping a spreadsheet for this.

image.png.016556dcbb735f3e00d023fe6021181b.png

image.png.d1a76745852800dc957993bc06680f24.png

It was a busy weekend. On a personal level quite rewarding, I got a lot done. Side-effect of that is that building a kitchen does not leave a lot of time for cooking in one. But it looks like avoiding the fattiest take-out and lifting, sawing and drilling for 2 days did help. Or maybe the scale was feeling kind.

Either way, its looking a bit better already:

image.png

But I have seen this before. I drop a lot during the first week or two as I cut out the bad stuff and then the real struggle begins.

I am starting to set little goals for myself:

• Drinking water - I used to be good at this one, so hopefully it wont be too difficult. I have an app for tracking progress. Based on my weight I should drink nearly 3L/100oz a day, so to start, at least 2L/68oz.
  • Moving more - The dreaded fitness tracker is currently charging. As I work in home office, movement is a big issue. So starting smaller. Leaving the house for a walk every day, even if it is only for 15 minutes. Time to fire up Pokemon GO again.
  • Meal prep - I set up a thread in this forum to get some tips. I am also reading up on it in general and am formulating a battle plan for the food shopping for later today

I have been doing my damndest to stay on track this week. Despite the many urges to reach for just one more snack, I have stayed the course.

The meal prep helped. Having to just heat up the healthy meal gave me very little excuse to start making or ordering something less healthy.

The scale is weird. Not sure how much bad food I had stuck in my system last Friday that the change is this dramatic. At least its nice to know that I am no longer in a worse spot than I was in April.

image.png.a5f6d4ca022282192ffba397eb2b3b54.png

Regarding the goals I set up at the beginning of the week:

• Drinking water - I have drunk 2.5l/84.5oz of water a day since Monday. Very happy with this and hopefully I can keep it going through the weekend. Its easier to remember when I am behind my desk, rather than running around like I do on weekends.
  • Moving more - This could be better. On Tuesday I was so knackered I did nothing at all. Other days I have moved at least some but nothing to write home about. Another weekend of kitchen building ahead though, that should help.
  • Meal prep - On Tuesday, we made food for lunches and dinners for 3 days. It has really helped, though it is hard to dampen the call of the junk food.

I haven't posted in over 2 weeks. Haven't given up the fight, but as I haven't found much conversation here, then I have just recorded stuff in my spreadsheet. But hey, here's to hoping that will still change at some point.

So what has been going on? The scale has not been my friend, partly because I have not yet been able to abolish having a cheat day each week. That is unlikely to change with Christmas coming up and I have decided to forgive myself for that, on the condition that I keep other good habits that I am trying to form going.

image.png.36a2a284bf89c3c3dad2d02c7f7d3f60.png

Those good habits being:

• Drinking water - I average slightly over 2.5l a day for the past 3 weeks, which is excellent.
  • Moving more - haven't managed to pick up walking. But I did get a chance to borrow a rowing machine. Last week I spent a total of 3h rowing, in 30min chunks. I am working steadily to bring my speed and endurance up to reach an average of  100watts per 30min. I started on 55.3. Today it was 96.4.
  • Meal prep - works great during the workweek, but not so great during weekends.

Not sure why my weight is holding where it is. I was certain that by adding the rowing I have started building an decent calorie deficit. Maybe its a shock to my untrained system. Maybe I have gained a bit of muscle? Maybe that cheat day zeros out all my efforts. I am hoping that taking my measurements again in a few days will provide some clarity.

The scale is weird. This time there is a sudden drop again.

For a while longer I am not going to look for rhyme or reason, I will just keep recording the data. And get the good habits going more. Hopefully when I get into habits and a good routine the data will eventually catch up.

image.png.f95184556e5168490f37bae5cacf58eb.png

I decided to measure myself 2 days early because the weekend will be busy. There seems to be some progress. But as this is the first time I am recording my measurements like this, I have no idea if the results are good, bad or meh. If anyone reads this and has insight, it is most welcome.

image.png.bfc2b1cbc63a6d5f965d132ec41ae9e9.png

Almost forgot the habit building update:

• Drinking water - still going strong. 2.5 to 3l of water a day. 3l usually happens on the days that I work out. Sweating is thirsty work.
  • Moving more - 1h 15min of rowing done so far this week. I think I will struggle hitting the same 3h mark as last week. But on the plus side, on Wednesday I hit the 100watts average per 30min of rowing. When I started it seemed impossible. Cant believe I got there in under 2 weeks.  The goal is to maintain that for the next 2 weeks and then crank up the resistance setting.
  • Meal prep -  did not do it this week, but between my fiancee and myself we cooked every day, so stayed on track. But next week I am off work and there will be Christmas food. I can guess what will happen to those numbers on the scale...

It's been a while. Again.

I was on track, then I got off track and now I am on track again. Christmas was the off-track as I am sure it was for many, not that that's really an acceptable excuse.

image.png.be5a7c32d9b0182b6696cc7ffae70dd8.png

• Drinking water - took a dip with my eating during Christmas but going strong in the new year. Nearly 3l of water a day.
  • Moving more -  Got sick of rowing for a while. Have not touched the machine in two weeks. Not quite liking the idea of going back at the moment. But I have replaced it with going for walks. In the last weeks, I have gone out for a walk most days and usually if I already get myself to go out, I go for 40+minutes.
  • Eating - meal prep has taken a bit of a backseat, but that has not kept me from keeping healthy for the last two weeks. In December I decided that I won't help with any construction and things like that for a month. And it has been hugely helpful with having more ooomph to keep an eye on what I eat. Starting last week I am doing a short-term experiment of logging every single thing I eat. In the past I have found calorie counting quite miserable, but this time I am finding it oddly motivating. It was nice to get confirmation that I have gotten pretty good at estimating the right portion sizes for myself. Huzzah. To keep the current good streak going I will stop calorie counting as soon as it becomes tiring, rather than motivating.