LCL pain on running

Hello there,  I have always been a treadmill runner. I started running outdoors few months ago. It is a circular course where I do the laps counter-clockwise.

I started feeling pain on my outer right knee (LCL I suppose) after a month. With a day off, the pain dies down though.

I read online about longer strides and wider foot landing as corrective measures but I still cannot avoid the pain. Is it more to do with my form or the case of ligament overuse especially with the counter-clockwise direction?

Appreciate any pointers!

2 hours ago, Jesh said:

Hello there,  I have always been a treadmill runner. I started running outdoors few months ago. It is a circular course where I do the laps counter-clockwise.

I started feeling pain on my outer right knee (LCL I suppose) after a month. With a day off, the pain dies down though.

I read online about longer strides and wider foot landing as corrective measures but I still cannot avoid the pain. Is it more to do with my form or the case of ligament overuse especially with the counter-clockwise direction?

Appreciate any pointers!

I'm not much of a runner but often the first question asked is how old are your shoes?

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

9 hours ago, Jesh said:

My shoes are about 3 years old but they have been majorly used on a treadmill. 

3 year old shoes could very well be an issue. Getting good fitting shoes might not solve all your problems, but I'd be willing to bet they are a piece of the puzzle. How many miles do you think you have on those shoes? Also, you may want to consider going the other direction for half of your laps if possible, that might correct an imbalance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

3 years is a long time to stick with one pair of shoes, although distance is a better thing to go by rather than time. Depending on the shoe, they typically need replaced every 300-450 miles. 

Tank has given you great advice (as always!) on replacing the shoes and alternating directions. You can either switch halfway through your run or finish the entire workout in one direction and next time go the other way.

My other question would be, how often are you running? In my experience runners are terrible at taking rest days. You should take at least one day off a week. Three runs a week is plenty unless you're in hardcore training for something. A lot of places recommend at least three a week, but I've seen good progress running twice a week when I was also mixing in strength training. Since the pain goes away with a day off, it might just be a sign that you need to incorporate more rest days in your workout.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

Pain on the outside of the knee, that occurs during runs partway in, is more often than not IT Band Syndrome (Iliotibial band). That's the direction I would look, and by what you've said I'd guess it's rather minor at this point. BTW Yes, I had it. Took me out of 2016 Marathon training. The below website is how I cured it and made a season comeback and ran the mini.

A couple things about ITBS:

You can't foam roll the IT Band(You can, but it won't do anything). It's a fallacy. It's connective tissue. It's hard and tough and is designed to be tight.  You can't, and wouldn't want to loosen it. Foam rolling is very important. Just doesn't cure ITBS.

Rest does not heal ITBS, It may let the inflammation lower a bit so you can go run but it does nothing towards healing the issue. Active, targeted exercise heals it 

My recommendation, as is ALWAYS my recommendation, for running injuries ( and the prevention of ) is Jason from Strength Running....

https://strengthrunning.com/2014/12/curing-it-band-pain-exercises-to-treat-illiotibial-band-syndrome/

• Thanks 1

Hey. I've got a blog!! ----> The Dilnad Can!

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/

Thank  you guys for your valuable inputs.

I bought a new pair of shoes and it seems to have worked. There is a still a bit of pain that starts at about the 20th minute of the run, but, contrary to the earlier pain, this one is gone once I finish the run. I am focusing on the step cadence and the landing to see if any correction is needed. The terrain is uneven too!

I continue to do normal and side planks as I have been doing for a while now (this was suggested for ITBS too).

Will post an update after few more weeks! Happy holidays!!

Cheers!

• Like 1
On 12/25/2020 at 4:44 AM, Jesh said:

Thank  you guys for your valuable inputs.

I bought a new pair of shoes and it seems to have worked. There is a still a bit of pain that starts at about the 20th minute of the run, but, contrary to the earlier pain, this one is gone once I finish the run. I am focusing on the step cadence and the landing to see if any correction is needed. The terrain is uneven too!

I continue to do normal and side planks as I have been doing for a while now (this was suggested for ITBS too).

Will post an update after few more weeks! Happy holidays!!

Cheers!

See if this helps. I wrote it several years ago....

https://missionstuffs.blogspot.com/2018/01/heel-strike-its-not-just-for-discipline.html

• Like 1

Hey. I've got a blog!! ----> The Dilnad Can!

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/