Forum Upgrade (Still WIP) - Bug Report / Request / FAQ Thread!

This thread is for asking questions about the new forum look after the changes. Can't find something? Ask here. Want something back the way it was? We might not be able to fix it the way you want, but at least you'll know we looked into it. This will make it easier to keep everyone on the same page. As questions get asked, I'll update the second post with Frequently Asked Questions and their answers.

SPEZZY UPDATE:

We're still actively working on this update - it's not complete yet, and we will be working on bug fixes, theme changes, etc over the next week.  We prioritized database updates to make everything work a bit smoother, and now it's going to be lots of tweaks and bug fixes, so thank you for your patience! :)

I'm working on going through every page, trying to find everything - but your reports are super helpful! 

If you're reporting a bug, please make sure to include the browser and operating system (windows or mac is fine, we don't need exact version number) you are using as well, and if you're on mobile or a computer.   (FYI - we did apply for early access to the software's mobile app, so hopefully that will be coming soon!) 

Also, once I'm further along this update I'm going to make a thread that includes a change log with all changes to the forums, bug fixes, and new features available and how to use them, that will serve as a log moving forward for whenever I make any updates / changes :) I'll link to that when that's created.

A FEW UPDATES (these will all be a part of a longer change log thread, but as we go :) 😞 (11/28, 4pm CT)

--> Instagram embedding is broken, across the internet, not just on our forums. Other image and service embeds still work, though.

--> If you want to post an image and have it embed, it must use https://, not http://

--> The ability to sign in anonymously is now a user setting, found under Account Settings --> Security and Privacy. You also have the option to set up 2FA if you want, but it's not required unless you're an admin.

--> The strikethrough button is back, and I've added a few more options to the WYSWIG editor. If you find anything else missing, let me know!

--> BBCODE is currently disabled, as the forum software has depreciated it.  I'm looking to see if this would cause any issues to re-enable it. 

• Like 5

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Two questions so far:

1. Is there any way to get rid of the thread stat block that takes up so much real estate in top right corner of the challenge threads?

2. Is there any way to get the strikethrough button back?  That is the one text formatting thing that I don't know a hotkey for so the button in essential for me

• Like 3
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

33 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

1. Is there any way to get rid of the thread stat block that takes up so much real estate in top right corner of the challenge threads?

I was going to second this because it created a huge white space on the right side once you scrolled past the stat block, but it looks to me like the stat block has already been banished :)

Probably not terribly relevant to anyone using modern browsers, but the forum looks terrible in Internet Explorer. (Yes, I know I shouldn't be using it either, but I like the way Netflix doesn't start playing clips and previews when you hover over everything.) Completely white background, no boxes around quotes, no distinction between one post and the next. It's not that big a deal for me either because I'm gradually switching to other browsers as things stop working in IE.

• Like 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

White or light gray text on a light tan background is nearly invisible. I can only see "Moderator Options" (I only see that one on my own thread) and "Start New Topic" above the first post on the page and "Theme, Privacy Policy, Contact Us" at the bottom of the page if I look at them from an angle instead of straight on.

• Like 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31Current

Stat block was my biggest gripe, glad it’s not just me. 

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

2. Is there any way to get the strikethrough button back?  That is the one text formatting thing that I don't know a hotkey for so the button in essential for me

[ strike ] text [ /strike ] with no spaces. Not a quick fix but it works. 

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

46 minutes ago, Ranger Hal said:

I was going to second this because it created a huge white space on the right side once you scrolled past the stat block, but it looks to me like the stat block has already been banished

Maybe I spoke too soon. I'm not seeing the stat  block on this thread or my own thread, but when I looked at a bunch of other Rangers' threads, it was there.

• Like 3

Like others have said, the stat block thing is a little... off putting to me. Not only because it makes my screen look weird and half-empty, but the actual content looks squished. Somehow.

Also, personal preference but the lighter font and light background are not friendly to my eyes. Darn chaotic good people, making me go get my glasses that I definitely should be already wearing... :D And I also completely missed the 'start new topic' button, but thought that was just me!

• Like 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

I suspect the stat block is for threads with a certain number of posts. 

Spezzy is working hard on the font and background colors. She has had to rebuild the theme from scratch, and these comments are helpful to her  so she knows what needs attention. 

• Like 4

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

When I access the forums on my phone, I cannot find the sign in button. I signed in by scrolling down on this thread and clicking on the "sign in in order to contribute" prompt :)

Thank you all for getting on this (so quickly)! Such hassle after an update always sucks...

• Like 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

I’m on mobile so I can’t answer the strike button question. 

3 minutes ago, Aθena said:

When I access the forums on my phone, I cannot find the sign in button. I signed in by scrolling down on this thread and clicking on the "sign in in order to contribute" prompt :)

Thank you all for getting on this (so quickly)! Such hassle after an update always sucks...

I was just about to say this. I was already logged in on my phone so I’m good, but I tried it on incognito mode on my phone, as well as on safari (both private and regular browsing) and chrome on an iPad and there’s no sign in button. 

Edit: also I am personally annoyed by the need to expand quote boxes. 

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

15 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Spezzy is working hard on the font and background colors. She has had to rebuild the theme from scratch, and these comments are helpful to her  so she knows what needs attention. 

Thank you guys so much for getting on this so quick. It's super appreciated. 

8 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Me too!

• Like 2

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

Is there any way to have the email notifications for new posts display full text again instead of only the first hundred or so characters? It would be an adjustment to the RSS settings most likely. If so, I would be most grateful.

Agree with everyone that it is wonderful that you have been so immediately responsive and helpful about the issues people have had. We are so lucky you are in charge. :)

• Like 1
  • spezzy changed the title to Forum Upgrade (Still WIP) - Bug Report / Request / FAQ Thread!
45 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I see the strikethrough button on mine, does anyone else see it?

I see it as well.

Edit to add: For the problems I've reported, I'm using Windows and Firefox (except for the one where I had to quit using Internet Explorer because the site looked so bad).

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Two questions so far:

Removed thread stat block.

Strikethrough is still there for me, including when I log in under incognito - what browser / device are you using? Can you send a screenshot? 

• Like 2
I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
2 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

I was going to second this because it created a huge white space on the right side once you scrolled past the stat block, but it looks to me like the stat block has already been banished :)

Probably not terribly relevant to anyone using modern browsers, but the forum looks terrible in Internet Explorer. (Yes, I know I shouldn't be using it either, but I like the way Netflix doesn't start playing clips and previews when you hover over everything.) Completely white background, no boxes around quotes, no distinction between one post and the next. It's not that big a deal for me either because I'm gradually switching to other browsers as things stop working in IE.

I know this isn't the answer you want, but Internet Explorer isn't a browser that's supported :) 

Sidebar has been removed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
1 minute ago, spezzy said:

I know this isn't the answer you want, but Internet Explorer isn't a browser that's supported :) 

It's not entirely unexpected!

2 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

White or light gray text on a light tan background is nearly invisible. I can only see "Moderator Options" (I only see that one on my own thread) and "Start New Topic" above the first post on the page and "Theme, Privacy Policy, Contact Us" at the bottom of the page if I look at them from an angle instead of straight on.

2 hours ago, fleaball said:

Stat block was my biggest gripe, glad it’s not just me. 

[ strike ] text [ /strike ] with no spaces. Not a quick fix but it works. 

1 hour ago, Rhovaniel said:

Like others have said, the stat block thing is a little... off putting to me. Not only because it makes my screen look weird and half-empty, but the actual content looks squished. Somehow.

Also, personal preference but the lighter font and light background are not friendly to my eyes. Darn chaotic good people, making me go get my glasses that I definitely should be already wearing... :D And I also completely missed the 'start new topic' button, but thought that was just me!

Stat block is gone :)

I'm working to get rid of any light text on light background wherever I see it - i've fixed the "Moderator Actions" "Start New Thread" and the footer - let me know if you see it anywhere else!

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Aθena said:

1 hour ago, fleaball said:

I’m on mobile so I can’t answer the strike button question. 

I was just about to say this. I was already logged in on my phone so I’m good, but I tried it on incognito mode on my phone, as well as on safari (both private and regular browsing) and chrome on an iPad and there’s no sign in button. 

This theme is responsive, so depending on the width of the page, the sign in box in the upper right will turn to three lines, where if you click it will give you the option to sign in or sign up :) 

I also submitted a request to get early access to the software's mobile app, so hopefully that will be a good addition for mobile users, also!

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, spezzy said:

This theme is responsive, so depending on the width of the page, the sign in box in the upper right will turn to three lines, where if you click it will give you the option to sign in or sign up :) 

I also submitted a request to get early access to the software's mobile app, so hopefully that will be a good addition for mobile users, also!

The three lines weren’t even there before, which was the weird part. I’ve checked safari and chrome on both iPhone and iPad now and they’re back, so moot point. 

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Also @spezzy and @Tanktimus the Encourager thanks for being so responsive on a holiday. 

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

1 hour ago, fleaball said:

Figured out what you're talking about here - looks like any quote over 7 lines will need to be expanded, otherwise we don't. 

Looking to see if there's a way to change that!

• Thanks 3
45 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

On the strike through button, I see it on desktop, but not in my mobile browser (also chrome)  it was that way before the update if I'm not mistaken.

Was it? I feel like I always had to type out the code for it on mobile. 

Unrelated to the strike button, but the option to sign in privately is gone. Not sure if that was on purpose. 

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi