Forum Upgrade (Still WIP) - Bug Report / Request / FAQ Thread!

One big silver lining here... the menu to follow "Content I Posted In" appears to be working again. This was my original preferred method of following threads before the changes/updates from (five?) years ago, and I'm glad to have it back. 😄

I do agree the new font is a little thin and hard to read unless I zoom in. But then it seems fine. This is on my desktop with Firefox.

On my phone I use chrome to view and post. It actually looks really sharp on there. But yes, the buttons for posting formats are limited.

We'll see if this image posts

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7RcsqjA8ab/

Addit: (trying IMG tags)

[IMG]https://www.instagram.com/p/B7RcsqjA8ab/[/IMG]

Addit: Nope

(added this one using the gif button in the toolbar)

Thanksgiving Minions GIF by Wantering

Thanks for listening. Enjoy your feasts!

Addit: I can post images by right-click "copy image" from the web and just pasting here

More than 40 tons of beef recalled because of re-inspection problem | Food  Safety News

But if I try to "copy link location" into the field form the "other media" drop down on the lower left of the post editor, it won't send it through. 😕

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

And now I've been blocked on my desktop because I tried to post the embedded image code for an Instagram photo. 

Can someone please unblock me?

Addit: Nevermind/thanks? I can access the forums again.

I'm done.

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

7 hours ago, spezzy said:

I'm working to get rid of any light text on light background wherever I see it - i've fixed the "Moderator Actions" "Start New Thread" and the footer - let me know if you see it anywhere else!

Slightly related to this: When I create training materials and job aids at work, I check with this Chrome extension to make sure all the graphics and visuals are usable for someone who's living with one of the many versions of colorblindness. Might it be useful for checking font colors against backgrounds as well?

• Like 2

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

1 hour ago, Tobbe said:

Chrome has some of that built-in already as well as of a few months ago. Open up the dev tools, click the three dots (More Tools) and select Rendering. Then scroll to the bottom

Nice! I think I will still rely on the extension though, since I've been using it for so long it's habit now. But that is still very good to know... :) 

Side-note: I noticed the Edit button has moved to hiding behind the three dots in the upper right corner of my post. It took me a while to find it, but no big deal.

But where is my delete link? Have we lost the ability to delete our posts?

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

The only new bug I’ve noticed:

Bbcode, like the [ img ] tag or the [ strike ] tag (no spaces) that @fleaball suggested earlier, no longer appears to work at all. I’m not sure if all formatting code support has been removed entirely.

When I view posts that use it with either Safari on iOS or Firefox on Mac, I just see the raw code.

It would be nice not to have to rely on the GUI all the time for formatting, as sometimes long-form posts need to be written outside of the forums first, especially when we intend to post from a mobile environment.

Is that something we can get back?

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

testing the tags I know off hand:

[spoiler] [b]bold[/b] [i]italics[/i] [u]underline[/u] [strike]strikethrough[/strike] [/spoiler]

edit: well if I learned to read I’d’ve noticed @PaulG saying none of it worked, not just those two examples. Not being able to spoiler stuff while on mobile is going to be a bummer if this is permanent though. 

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

On 11/26/2020 at 10:02 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Two questions so far:

1. Is there any way to get rid of the thread stat block that takes up so much real estate in top right corner of the challenge threads?

2. Is there any way to get the strikethrough button back?  That is the one text formatting thing that I don't know a hotkey for so the button in essential for me

On 11/26/2020 at 12:27 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I see the strikethrough button on mine, does anyone else see it?

Figured it out - the new theme is responsive, and strikethrough was only appearing on full desktop with your browser in full size. I've added it back to the small and mobile browser sizes, so you should see it now!

• Thanks 3
I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
14 hours ago, PaulG said:

The only new bug I’ve noticed:

Bbcode, like the [ img ] tag or the [ strike ] tag (no spaces) that @fleaball suggested earlier, no longer appears to work at all. I’m not sure if all formatting code support has been removed entirely.

When I view posts that use it with either Safari on iOS or Firefox on Mac, I just see the raw code.

It would be nice not to have to rely on the GUI all the time for formatting, as sometimes long-form posts need to be written outside of the forums first, especially when we intend to post from a mobile environment.

Is that something we can get back?

14 hours ago, fleaball said:

testing the tags I know off hand:

[spoiler] [b]bold[/b] [i]italics[/i] [u]underline[/u] [strike]strikethrough[/strike] [/spoiler]

edit: well if I learned to read I’d’ve noticed @PaulG saying none of it worked, not just those two examples. Not being able to spoiler stuff while on mobile is going to be a bummer if this is permanent though. 

So, I've been looking into this, and the forum software has it turned off by default. They've recommended we keep it off for overall performance, and said that it's depreciated and that it won't be supported at all in future releases of the forum software at all. I'll look into it a bit more and talk to our server guy and see how much it affects performance - and if it would make a difference at all for our forums if we were to turn it on :)

Paul - with looking at wanting to write the post outside of the forum environment, is this to prevent any sort of chances of the post getting eaten? What do you use instead? My goal is to make the forums as usable as possible :)

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
22 hours ago, Stronkey Kong said:

And now I've been blocked on my desktop because I tried to post the embedded image code for an Instagram photo. 

Can someone please unblock me?

Addit: Nevermind/thanks? I can access the forums again.

I'm done.

Can you tell me what happened when you said you were blocked? Was it from CloudFlare, or did the forums tell you you needed to wait a specific amount of time before posting again? Or was the block something else? 

• Like 1
On 11/26/2020 at 4:55 PM, Stronkey Kong said:

We'll see if this image posts

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7RcsqjA8ab/

Addit: (trying IMG tags)

[IMG]https://www.instagram.com/p/B7RcsqjA8ab/[/IMG]

😕

Looked into this - this was an issue before the update that I was hoping the update would fix, but it looks like Instagram has changed something on their end that is preventing the embeds from working - so unfortunately this is something we can't fix right now. The software company who makes the forum software is aware of it, and are looking into how the new Instagram works and if embedding the images is even a possibility right now. 

• Like 2

I like the new upgrade! I actually even liked the stats block, would have been happy to have that stick around as a new toy for a while.

Couple of things: First, the "Last edited by user" line used to be optional until, like, yesterday, and now is mandatory. Could that be optional again? It feels like clutter. Second, the post notification email that goes out now has just a short teaser instead of the full post, which, for me, defeats the purpose of receiving the mail notifications, if I have to go to the site in order to see if I want to go to the site and reply.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

17 hours ago, PaulG said:

I believe rich text copies correctly, so if you write up in a word processing environment or other rich text enabled editor rather than plain text with bbcode, it should paste in just fine. I haven't done it recently, but I have done it, from  both Google Docs and local text editors.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

17 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

But where is my delete link? Have we lost the ability to delete our posts?

Might be permissions  - normal users have never been able to delete posts. It's always taken mod powers.

16 hours ago, fleaball said:

Not being able to spoiler stuff while on mobile is going to be a bummer if this is permanent though. 

Spoiler function is in the mobile gui, it's the button with the eye.

2 hours ago, spezzy said:

Can you tell me what happened when you said you were blocked? Was it from CloudFlare, or did the forums tell you you needed to wait a specific amount of time before posting again? Or was the block something else? 

It was when I tried to post the embedded code for an IG photo. It was from CloudFlare. The message along with it said it thought what I was posting looked suspicious... my guess it blocked me from posting the code for the IG embed to prevent a security issue. It suggested I "email the owner of the site" with the "Ray ID". I had that in the follow up post, but deleted it. 😕 Sorry.

--Stronkey Kong--

16 hours ago, fleaball said:

The editor was reset upon the upgrade, can you give me a list of things you'd like to see on mobile? 

20 minutes ago, spezzy said:

The editor was reset upon the upgrade, can you give me a list of things you'd like to see on mobile? 

This is Safari on my iPhone. Buttons for spoiler and strikethrough would be appreciated if the code isn’t going to work anymore. 

39C1668B-4646-45C2-A2C4-90BADADF780D.png

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

1 hour ago, fleaball said:

This is Safari on my iPhone. Buttons for spoiler and strikethrough would be appreciated if the code isn’t going to work anymore. 

39C1668B-4646-45C2-A2C4-90BADADF780D.png

Can you check now? Strikethrough has been added back, though I thought I added it back earlier and clearly it disappeared!

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, spezzy said:

Can you check now? Strikethrough has been added back, though I thought I added it back earlier and clearly it disappeared!

I have strikethrough and spoiler buttons now! Thanks. :) 

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Might be permissions  - normal users have never been able to delete posts. It's always taken mod powers.

I might be thinking of another forum I hang out in, then. If we never had that ability, never mind :) 

7 hours ago, spezzy said:

Paul - with looking at wanting to write the post outside of the forum environment, is this to prevent any sort of chances of the post getting eaten? What do you use instead? My goal is to make the forums as usable as possible

Yeah, it’s mainly to keep the post from getting eaten. Generally I use Apple’s Notes app.

@sarakingdom, after your suggestion I looked at a couple apps — most do not copy in RTF formatting properly, at least when the forum is being accessed on Firefox. MS Word copies in formatting, but it also copies in lots of font, double-spacing and styling presets that are very difficult/impossible to fix in the GUI editor. Can you remember what text editors you’ve had good results with?

I guess what I’m saying is if it isn’t a performance issue, it’d be nice to have the code options back? 😅

BBcode is an old system, but I can’t imagine it takes much from the server to translate it.

• Like 1

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st