Forum Upgrade (Still WIP) - Bug Report / Request / FAQ Thread!

35 minutes ago, PaulG said:

Yeah, it’s mainly to keep the post from getting eaten. Generally I use Apple’s Notes app.

@sarakingdom, after your suggestion I looked at a couple apps — most do not copy in RTF formatting properly, at least when the forum is being accessed on Firefox. MS Word copies in formatting, but it also copies in lots of font, double-spacing and styling presets that are very difficult/impossible to fix in the GUI editor. Can you remember what text editors you’ve had good results with?

I use an android phone, and it sounds like you use an Apple phone, so I'm not sure my suggestions would be great for you. I can't recall any issues pasting into Firefox from random open source editors and note apps or Google docs text, but even our versions of Firefox may behave differently, given that we're on different platforms.

This is an editing test using Carnet notes.

Works okay. The editor gives a "This has been pasted using rich text, press here to paste as plain text" message. You're right about the funky font size/color, which I guess is my app settings, but nothing really weird in the line spacing.

This is an editing test using Carnet notes with the font size reduced and color grayed.

That's pretty close. I picked a random dark gray in the app by eye. It's a little light, but not obviously so. Size seems okay. So on Android, anyway, copying rich text into Firefox is pretty good.

ETA: Looks like the editor uses  larger font than the rendered post, so it's not perfect on size, but I wouldn't hate it. An app with finer font size control would do a better job, this just has plus and minus. Carnet isn't really my top choice for text formatting, it's more of a post-it organizer.

ETA2: You also mentioned desktop. Yeah, anything MS is going to be a formatting nightmare. If you can't get the standard Mac rich text editors to do it, and feel like experimenting, try installing zim via homebrew, or maybe Atom, if that has a rich text mode. The more proprietary something is, the less likely it is to share formatting correctly with an open source browser like Firefox. You may get very different results from something less locked into the Mac platform.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 11/26/2020 at 1:27 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I see the strikethrough button on mine, does anyone else see it?

I have the button and it seems to format correctly.

Mobile android

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

It looks like PVP Challenges is back in the current challenge instead of next to Rules/FAQ where it was moved in September. (Not that I particularly mind. It's easier for me to get to when it's in the current challenge.)

I feel like there was a spelling auto-correct thing that fixed some of the more obvious mistakes like "teh." If so, it's not working now.

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

17 minutes ago, Ranger Hal said:

It looks like PVP Challenges is back in the current challenge instead of next to Rules/FAQ where it was moved in September. (Not that I particularly mind. It's easier for me to get to when it's in the current challenge.)

I feel like there was a spelling auto-correct thing that fixed some of the more obvious mistakes like "teh." If so, it's not working now.

I never had an autocorrect but the red line still shows up under misspelled words.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

33 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I never had an autocorrect but the red line still shows up under misspelled words.

Spellcheck is in your browser, not the forum software.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 11/26/2020 at 4:15 PM, fleaball said:

Was it? I feel like I always had to type out the code for it on mobile. 

Unrelated to the strike button, but the option to sign in privately is gone. Not sure if that was on purpose. 

The software has moved it to a preference so it works on a user basis, not on a session basis. Unfortunately, I can't change it back to session preference. They said that this way would allow the preference to save across all devices, and that's why they made the decision.

You can find it under Account Settings --> Security and Privacy:

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 3.19.04 PM.png

(I'm not sure if you see the 2-step verification option, I have that set up on my account since I'm an Admin and I only required it for admins)

• Like 2
I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
21 hours ago, Stronkey Kong said:

It was when I tried to post the embedded code for an IG photo. It was from CloudFlare. The message along with it said it thought what I was posting looked suspicious... my guess it blocked me from posting the code for the IG embed to prevent a security issue. It suggested I "email the owner of the site" with the "Ray ID". I had that in the follow up post, but deleted it. 😕 Sorry.

If it's from CloudFlare, it was probably trying to test things too quickly and CF flagged you - so something that would have happened with the old software, too :) We set this up after a few ddos attacks.  It'll automatically let you back after a minute or two when this happens :)

• Like 1
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
4 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

Yeah, I moved this! Considering moving some things around as we head into the new year to make things feel a bit less overwhelming when they see things for the first time, and since PVPs are an optional extra part of the challenges, wanted to have the challenge info / threads first :)

• Like 2
On 11/26/2020 at 4:21 PM, Tobbe said:

Pasting images doesn't seem to work anymore. All I get is the url to the image. I see the image while typing out my reply, but when I click "Submit Reply" it turns in to just the url (as plain text).

I'm on Chrome, Win 10

See below

http://darebee.com/images/dailydare/2020/november26.jpg

All image URLs must be https:// (so linking from a secure site)

In this case, all I had to do was add the s:

november26.jpg

• Like 2
21 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I like the new upgrade! I actually even liked the stats block, would have been happy to have that stick around as a new toy for a while.

Couple of things: First, the "Last edited by user" line used to be optional until, like, yesterday, and now is mandatory. Could that be optional again? It feels like clutter. Second, the post notification email that goes out now has just a short teaser instead of the full post, which, for me, defeats the purpose of receiving the mail notifications, if I have to go to the site in order to see if I want to go to the site and reply.

Fixed last edited by, will look into emails!

• Like 2
16 hours ago, PaulG said:

Yeah, it’s mainly to keep the post from getting eaten. Generally I use Apple’s Notes app.

@sarakingdom, after your suggestion I looked at a couple apps — most do not copy in RTF formatting properly, at least when the forum is being accessed on Firefox. MS Word copies in formatting, but it also copies in lots of font, double-spacing and styling presets that are very difficult/impossible to fix in the GUI editor. Can you remember what text editors you’ve had good results with?

I guess what I’m saying is if it isn’t a performance issue, it’d be nice to have the code options back? 😅

BBcode is an old system, but I can’t imagine it takes much from the server to translate it.

16 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I use an android phone, and it sounds like you use an Apple phone, so I'm not sure my suggestions would be great for you. I can't recall any issues pasting into Firefox from random open source editors and note apps or Google docs text, but even our versions of Firefox may behave differently, given that we're on different platforms.

This is an editing test using Carnet notes.

Works okay. The editor gives a "This has been pasted using rich text, press here to paste as plain text" message. You're right about the funky font size/color, which I guess is my app settings, but nothing really weird in the line spacing.

This is an editing test using Carnet notes with the font size reduced and color grayed.

That's pretty close. I picked a random dark gray in the app by eye. It's a little light, but not obviously so. Size seems okay. So on Android, anyway, copying rich text into Firefox is pretty good.

ETA: Looks like the editor uses  larger font than the rendered post, so it's not perfect on size, but I wouldn't hate it. An app with finer font size control would do a better job, this just has plus and minus. Carnet isn't really my top choice for text formatting, it's more of a post-it organizer.

ETA2: You also mentioned desktop. Yeah, anything MS is going to be a formatting nightmare. If you can't get the standard Mac rich text editors to do it, and feel like experimenting, try installing zim via homebrew, or maybe Atom, if that has a rich text mode. The more proprietary something is, the less likely it is to share formatting correctly with an open source browser like Firefox. You may get very different results from something less locked into the Mac platform.

Yeah, anything from MS Word will copy into a WYSWIG editor will always copy over a disaster. 

When pasting from Google docs, everything pastes bold - and that's not just here, that's a common thing, and I have no idea how to change that or if you even can. 

I use Evernote to write in, and then copy (for legit everything I do, not just the forums, haha) and that works great.

47 minutes ago, spezzy said:

The software has moved it to a preference so it works on a user basis, not on a session basis. Unfortunately, I can't change it back to session preference. They said that this way would allow the preference to save across all devices, and that's why they made the decision.

You can find it under Account Settings --> Security and Privacy:

(I'm not sure if you see the 2-step verification option, I have that set up on my account since I'm an Admin and I only required it for admins)

I would not have thought to look there. Thanks for the info! I do see the 2-step thing for the record. 

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

3 minutes ago, fleaball said:

I would not have thought to look there. Thanks for the info! I do see the 2-step thing for the record. 

I just checked the settings, and it looks like anyone can set up 2FA, it's just only required for admins :D

• Like 1

Not a complaint but I just wanted to say how much I like the way you can see who has reacted to comments with just hovering (i.e. if I have 3 likes and 1 sad, I don't have to click to a new page to see who the sad reaction was from)  Please keep this change!

• Like 4
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Hi! First, thank you for the work you are putting in this forum and for your availability through this thread.

Second, I've noticed the presence of the "share" button on top of topics allowing to share it on social networks. While I am "pretty" open here (let's be honest, I'm utterly spreading my real life around), this is not something I'd want shared on, let's say Facebook. I don't think the people I talk about would find me here (though I'd deal with it if they did), the same goes not for more regular social networks.

Is it possible to either remove this button entirely, or give to the topic creator the option to disable it on their own topics?

• Like 7

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

2 hours ago, Jean said:

Hi! First, thank you for the work you are putting in this forum and for your availability through this thread.

Second, I've noticed the presence of the "share" button on top of topics allowing to share it on social networks. While I am "pretty" open here (let's be honest, I'm utterly spreading my real life around), this is not something I'd want shared on, let's say Facebook. I don't think the people I talk about would find me here (though I'd deal with it if they did), the same goes not for more regular social networks.

Is it possible to either remove this button entirely, or give to the topic creator the option to disable it on their own topics?

It's on mobile browsers the button shows up, I saw it on my phone but not on my desktop browser.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 minute ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It's on mobile browsers the button shows up, I saw it on my phone but not on my desktop browser.

On desktop for me there are 3 dots on the upper right corner of a post, if you click it the options are report and share.

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

1 hour ago, fleaball said:

On desktop for me there are 3 dots on the upper right corner of a post, if you click it the options are report and share.

Confirmed. Chrome on windows laptop, and I can share any personal post to any social media platform I have an account to.

Can this be turned off, please? 

Seconding what Jean said, a lot of us are very open with very personal struggles in our challenge threads. If I can't be sure that my posts won't go on Twitter or Reddit, then I will have to stop doing that. And if I can't be open about my personal struggles here, then a lot of the reason for being an active member is gone.

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

11 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Confirmed. Chrome on windows laptop, and I can share any personal post to any social media platform I have an account to.

Can this be turned off, please? 

Seconding what Jean said, a lot of us are very open with very personal struggles in our challenge threads. If I can't be sure that my posts won't go on Twitter or Reddit, then I will have to stop doing that. And if I can't be open about my personal struggles here, then a lot of the reason for being an active member is gone.

I agree it should be turned off. FWIW it was there in the old version of the software, it just looked different. There is really nothing to stop someone from copy and pasting a URL and sharing that on social media.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

33 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I agree it should be turned off. FWIW it was there in the old version of the software, it just looked different. There is really nothing to stop someone from copy and pasting a URL and sharing that on social media.

True, and that someone doesn't need to be a member here either, since the forums are public. That said, I would prefer not to make it easier for someone to share, or to constantly remind them that they can. Human nature and all that. :) 

• Like 3

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

^This. Having the button showing up can give ideas one would not have had otherwise. Also, this tells me about my attention to details: I needed the forum to change to notice something that had been in front of my nose the whole time!

Thanks for your understanding, I hope it's not too hard to setup.

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

I would also like for that feature to be removed if possible. I post under my real name, so if someone googled me it might come up anyway, but I do share a lot (for me) with our little community and I would rather it not be spread around.

If it's not possible though, it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me. Anyone could copy/paste text or links wherever they wanted from the previous forum design, but if it ever happened I wasn't aware of it. The share option is buried in a menu too, so it wouldn't be suggesting itself to people with every post.

I would really appreciate a fix on those emails though, or I will have to completely change how I interact with the site. :)

I like the look of the new forums--thank you, mods. The like button is now a big grey circle for me, though, as is the sad option. When I hover on the other like options, they, too, become large grey circles.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru