There is my scoring system.

Now I need things to score. This is difficult, because I'm tired of long lists, but they're so useful for providing reminders through  the day.  And because lately my challenges have had to do a lot of adapting. So I think this will be a hybrid system, which I will test drive during zero week. I will score what I have done on a naughty/nice axis in a "be mindful of my needs and choices" kind of thing, and set a small number of goals each week.

During zero week, let's try:

1. Make a list and check it twice
  2. Hogswatch cheer
  3. Walking in a winter wonderland

Right. First set of challenge goals.

tumblr_nyy48bQSGD1txmiiwo1_500.gif

qJU2K.gif

• Like 9

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Week 0 Day 0

Naughty

1. Late start to the day
  2. Extra rest just cuz I felt like it
  3. Didn't do the important paperwork
  4. Didn't hydrate well
  5. Didn't walk  🌟

Nice

1. Made a list 🌟
  2. Rested when I needed rest
  3. Look for downloadable yulelog footage 🌟
  4. Take a Ridcully-inspired shower (look, it's Hogswatch themed and I need to make checkmarks on my list)
  5. Do first load of laundry
  6. Afternoon coffee break with pie 🌟
  7. Do second load of laundry
  8. Water the plants
  9. Do the dishes
  10. Cook beef brisket
  11. Virtual social event with a friend
  12. Plan out the week 🌟
  13. Plan tomorrow 🌟
  14. Remembered meds and vitamins
  15. Quick apartment tidy - half done

Scheduled

1. Dry the laundry
  2. Do the important paperwork
  • Like 5

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Jam today or Jam tomorrow, I am here.

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

8 minutes ago, deftona said:

Wow this Hogswatch challenge does not seem like there has been an entire year since the last one. 

That's because it's the 374th of March.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, deftona said:

Wow this Hogswatch challenge does not seem like there has been an entire year since the last one. 

This was also my first thought.

Here for it again, though, regardless

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

I too, thought that I remembered your last Hogswatch challenge and then realised in dismay that I allowed an entire year through to the goal. In any case, I wish you niceness in abundance. 

Also, tell us in detail what you did to the brisket, please, while I try to translate brisket into le Deutsch. 

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This was also my first thought.

1 minute ago, Harriet said:

I too, thought that I remembered your last Hogswatch challenge and then realised in dismay that I allowed an entire year through to the goal. In any case, I wish you niceness in abundance. 

Everyone locked down so close on the heels of last Christmas and New Year's that this year feels crazy short.

3 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Also, tell us in detail what you did to the brisket, please, while I try to translate brisket into le Deutsch. 

It's a super tough cut of beef, which is used for corned beef in Jewish delis and for barbecue in Texas. I stuck it in the instant pot with some liquid smoke and garlic powder. I have not yet seen the results. (There's 1/3 of it still in the fridge to make stew today.)

• Like 3

Week 0 Day 1

Naughty

1. Late start to the day
  2. Fell behind my schedule a bit
  3. Unseasonal grumpiness

Nice

1. Made a list and checked it twice 🌟
  2. Journal pages with a cup of coffee like a civilised person
  3. Hogswatch cheer: indie Christmas rock and some yule log 🌟
  4. Half an hour on the details of project Y
  5. Walk in a winter wonderland 🌟
  6. Meditate
  7. Intermittent fasting
  8. Hogswatch cheer - eggnog 🌟
  9. Do the important paperwork
  10. Do the important paperwork
  11. Do the important paperwork
  12. Project Z
  13. Project Z
  14. Make a list for tomorrow and check it twice 🌟
  15. Check the weekly list again 🌟
  16. Dry the laundry
  17. Remembered meds and vitamins 🌟
  18. Kept to macros

Deferred

1. An hour on project X
  2. Half an hour on the details of project X
  3. Quick apartment tidy
  4. Do the dishes
  5. Clear space for the Hogswatch tree
  6. Hogswatch cheer - work on bell garlands 🌟
  • Like 5

For those with some ADHD or focus issues, I'm trying a lockdown experiment. (I think lockdown is causing a lot of us some focus issues.) Body-doubling is a tool from ADHD coaching, and the rough summary is using peer cues to stay focused on a task. It can be done virtually, though the best form for that to take is kind of a work in progress.

The first working meetings will be Thursdays at 1pm EST, which I'm hoping is a good average for most US and EU timezones. More details here.

• Like 1

Oh my god, I just concentrated hard for a long time and sprained my brain. I really need to invoke my rest rule here. All work must be balanced by rest. My brain is too tired to even think about how to rest.

ETA: Brain weasels 7/10 8/10

• Like 4

Week 0 Day 2

Symbol key has changed; challenge components now have a tree, and important tasks have the star.

Naughty

1. Did not sleep well
  2. Thus slow start to the day
  3. Wrestled with some focus problems

Nice

1. Made a list and checked it twice 🎄🌟
  2. Important paperwork 2 🌟
  3. Important paperwork 2 🌟
  4. Worked on finishing project Z
  5. Worked a little on project A 🌟
  6. Get extra rest for the brain 🌟
  7. Make stew
  8. Hogswatch cheer - Make some macro-compliant seasonal treat 🎄
  9. emergency hydration 🌟
  10. Remembered meds and vitamins 🌟
  11. Bonus: Yoga in a winter wonderland 🎄🌟
  12. Extravagant Ridcully-inspired shower

Deferred

1. Make a list for tomorrow and check it twice 🎄
  2. Check the weekly list again
  3. Hogswatch cheer - work on bell garlands 🌲
  4. Do the dishes
  5. Walk in a winter wonderland 🎄
  6. Half an hour on the details of project X
  7. An hour on project X 🌟
  8. Quick apartment tidy
  9. Clear space for the Hogswatch tree 🎄
  10. Errand 1
  • Like 3

I'm going to have to put caffeine back on the naughty list. It doesn't usually affect me, and I have no reason to suspect it was related to last night's insomnia issues, since it's a pattern I see unrelated to caffeine. But I do need to rule it out. (I'm so annoyed by last night. I can sleep perfectly comfortably any time I'm not supposed to, but at night, when I need to, I can't get comfortable and lie awake for hours. I was just resting three hours before that, you can't tell me everything suddenly got rock hard and uncomfortable in three hours.) I  refuse to give up my sleep gains, even though my body really wants me to. Being rested is too amazing. But I can't afford to spend extra hours making up for doing it badly, it's gotta get done correctly the first time.

Anyway. List redone to reflect energy levels and whatever.

• Like 5

Okay. Work needs to be balanced by rest. I'm going to make a stronger effort to keep them separated in their own timebox. This is probably part of the sleep issue, my brain is still in work mode. And if I do not sleep, the Hogfather will not come, and then the sun won't rise the next day.

I now have the before nightfall tasks, and the (ahem) rest, that can be done after nightfall, which I'll define as ideally 6pm, but no later than 7pm in a pinch.

• Like 3

I am in A Mood. Not a bad mood, but definitely A Mood. This is a deeply frustrating ADHD focus quirk. I hate how much of every day requires those 20-second beast-mode efforts to get ordinary things done, for so little reward in the outcome. It's a lot, and it's draining, and I think that the social isolation of lockdown does not help.

My brain needs a lot of rest that it isn't getting, I think. Not just sleep, but rest. I'm not entirely sure how to solve this one.

• Like 3

Hibernation Interlude

Really, all I want to do right now is wrap up warm and go sleep in a cave while snow falls outside. Ideally, I'd hibernate a full day. That won't work with my schedule. But I can hibernate for nine hours.

• Prepare the cave for hibernation
  • Stretch out before hibernation
  • Peppermint bomb shower
  • Settle in for a nice winter nap
  • Like 4

I am in my sleep cave. This is delightful.

One thing I'm not great at is noting things I do well. Well, tis the season to tell the Hogfather why I deserve presents.

• My sleep deficit has been basically nonexistent for over a week. It's amazing. I do need to fix my sleep in many ways, but I'm being much better about rest of all sorts.
  • I downplay the value of the exercise I do because it's less than I used to do and less than I want to do (and honestly less than I think I need to thrive), but I am getting the basic prescribed amount. That's not bad under these circumstances.
  • I did the most important things first today, rather than the things I wanted to do first. It used some extra mental energy, but it was a good choice.

It's increasingly clear to me that this challenge is going to be a tough one for me. A lot of 2020 life stuff is converging to make this a very mentally demanding time. There's a lot to do, and my resources are low. Keeping myself on track emotionally is using a ton of energy, keeping myself on track organisationally is using a ton of energy. I'm not good at identifying when I need breaks, and I resent the number of them I need. (I'm hoping that's part of the problem that will correct as I get better about resting. I'm hoping that pushing too much is leading to crashing too hard, and pacing myself will be better.) So I need to figure out how to push myself less and also get more done.

• Like 8

Week 0 Day 3

Naughty

1. Hibernated too well

Nice

1. Hibernated well 🌟

Before Nightfall

1. Make a list and checked it twice 🎄🌟
  2. Walk in a winter wonderland 🎄 🌟
  3. Hogswatch cheer 🎄
  • Like 4

Amnestying yesterday. Tracking was too much.

My hydration is not reliable. I think I'm going to have to revive the morning Giant Pot of Tea for this challenge. Not just for witches anymore.

I'm getting some mild but problematic symptoms of brain weasels this week. I'm not sure of the correct intervention for them, but it is something I want to correct. Will ponder.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

My hydration is not reliable. I think I'm going to have to revive the morning Giant Pot of Tea for this challenge. Not just for witches anymore

How do you keep more than one cup's worth of tea from going cold? I like the idea of having a pot but by the time one gets to the bottom it's usually tepid at best.

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

36 minutes ago, Harriet said:

How do you keep more than one cup's worth of tea from going cold? I like the idea of having a pot but by the time one gets to the bottom it's usually tepid at best.

Well, in October, the weather was warm. The first three or four cups were plenty hot, and then I put ice in the glass and drank the rest as iced tea. Now it's December, so who knows. :D

• Like 2

Week 0 Day 4

Naughty

1. I mean, not very much, relatively, but I'm not exactly on an ideal schedule.
  2. Ice cream

Nice

1. Hibernated well-ish 🌟
  2. Ate breakfast
  3. Drank tea
  4. Worked on project Z
  5. Order groceries
  6. More hydration
  7. Prep for errands
  8. Errand 1
  9. Errand 2
  10. Errand 3
  11. Bought cheese and crackers for dinner
  12. Walk in a winter wonderland 🎄 🌟
  13. Errand 4
  14. Errand 5
  15. A second walk in a winter wonderland 🎄

Before Nightfall

1. Make a list and checked it twice 🎄🌟
  2. Hogswatch cheer 🎄

I'm holding off on the long list today, and just focusing on the next three things. That's about how far out I can focus today.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

I usually keep hot water in a thermal (?) pot, but sometimes I actually make tea in it. It's from Tefal, and really boring but it keeps tea hot for the full day :)

• Like 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

35 minutes ago, Aθena said:

I usually keep hot water in a thermal (?) pot, but sometimes I actually make tea in it. It's from Tefal, and really boring but it keeps tea hot for the full day :)

I do actually have a thermos pitcher. I've been using it for ice water over the summer, but tea is starting to make sense. It's cold this week. (And a good sized thermos. I can have all the hot things.)

• Like 1

I placed this week's grocery order. I am going off macros, but all for extra fresh fruit and veg, so I'm not that bothered by it.

Also, sweater dresses. Because most of my stuff to wear with leggings is not very wintery, and my cozy hibernation needs are very high this winter.

• Like 5