PREVIOUSLY...

Down-on-their-luck Yeti ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time, forcing them to flee their home and everything they'd known. After passing out in a drifting row boat, they wake to find that they seem to be very, very far from home. Desperate, they trekked into a nearby boulder field. In that place they came across what appeared to be a shrine to one of the old gods, and in that shrine found food and equipment to keep them alive as recovered and planned their next move. In the end, they decided to go to a place marked on the map that had the potential to be another shrine in the hopes that maybe a similar supply cache would be hidden there. However, getting there may prove to be a problem...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[SLOW AND STEADY]

An explosive exhale left Yeti as they slipped again, knee impacting on the wet rock, shoulder slamming into the side of the chokepoint. A white hot flare of pain lit their knee for a few long moments before settling into a dull, thudding pain that beat in time with the rhythm set by their shoulder, back, and ankles. At least this time they hadn't bitten their tongue.

Yeti struggled upright and looked down, wincing when they realised how little progress they'd made. Grimacing when they realised just how far they had to go.

The map had been useful for pinpointing water sources. It had been useful for locating the larger masses of rock. What it did not over, however, was the intricacies of the passages between the boulders, that they sometimes turned into deep gorges, and that some had massive rockfalls blocking them. Whether they had happened before or after the map had been made, they didn't know. Likely after, but they had to focus their anger on something other than themselves. Anger at the unknown mapmaker brought with it a certain level of bitter spite, and it was that which kept Yeti moving even when the going became perilous.

This rockfall in particular had caused many problems. Somewhere above there had to be a water source, one not marked on the map. The pebbles at ground level remained fairly dry, but the higher they climbed, the slicker the rocks became. Moss morphed into sludge, forming innocuous looking clumps that, when trod upon, would offer no purchase and send a foot shooting out from underneath the unwary climber.

Yeti had run afoul of the stuff twice before figuring out what had happened. Unfortunately it wasn't easy to avoid.

They reached up, fingers traversing the unseen rock beyond the ledge immediately above them, searching for a good hold. It took some time and a good deal of test pulls before they were comfortable with one patch in particular. Then came the task of finding somewhere to place their foot without risking another fall. Yeti had found, with no small measure of amusement, that their holey shoes were ideally suited for such a task. It was easier to find good surface with an exposed toe, and better to brace and push with the sole of the shoe. Whether or not they would survive such punishment remained doubtful.

Before long grunts, groans, and growls of effort accompanied every movement. Not long after that the stream of cursing began.

As the daylight began to dim, Yeti, panting, gasping for breath, slick with sweat, blood, and slimy moss, reached the apex of the rockfall.

For a moment a broad grin crossed their face as a giddy feeling of victory swept through them. When it became very real dizziness, they began moving again, slowly, carefully. Though they'd assumed the way down would be easier, that didn't turn out to be the case. Now, with the fading light, they found their heart racing as they tried to pick their way down the rockfall, toeing the line between fast enough to get down before nightfall and slow enough to avoid falling the rest of the way down.

They'd spied what looked like an overhang not too far from the foot of the fall. It would be a sheltered, semi-safe place to spend the night if they could get to it. Otherwise it would be a night spent out in the open, pressed in against the rocks, shivering with cold, hoping nothing came looking for supper.

The mountain fear spurred them onwards, sharpening their senses to fever pitch. Every skitter of the debris they dislodged against the rock made their gut lurch, every shadow they saw out of the corner of their eye seemed to move in unnatural ways. Their hands began to shake. They tried to keep control, but when they realised they were moving faster and faster, more recklessly than was safe, the panic only spurred them to move faster still.

It was with unsteady legs and growing nausea in their gut that they leaped the last few feet down, landing in a sprawled heap, shaken but unhurt. The dash towards the overhang almost saw them fall again, but they were able to get there, to duck under the reassuringly solid rock and nestle up against the main boulder, out of sight, or so they hoped.

Removing the sleeping bag proved tricky, but eventually they managed, wrapping themselves in it tightly before breathing a shaky sigh of relief.

Mere moments later the calm that had begun to descend turned to ice in their chest.

Skittering came from outside. Not random, but rhythmic. The sound of many feet dashing across the pebbled ground. Though it was distant enough not to be an immediate threat, still Yeti remained clutched in the grip of fear.

Somewhere out there an insect hunted.

• Like 9

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

iatetheyeti's odyssey: part one || part two

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

And here we have the challenge itself!

[GOAL ONE: FEAST]

I must eat enough to sustain my increased levels of activity. Furthermore, I am a person who WANTS to keep myself healthy and properly fuelled. It is very much to my advantage to do so, after all. And with this goal comes the intentions to eat better food. While I've tried for an 80/20 kind of split before now, this time I'm going for 70/30. One because it will help ease me back into using my willpower for good, and two because it is the festive season and sweet treats are everywhere. Will I eat everything in sight? No, no matter how much I might want to. And tied in with that comes the final component to this goal, to ease up on the diary consumption once more.

So: Eat lots, make most of it meat and veg and maybe pizza, and don't gorge on chocolate because the lactose will end me.

[GOAL TWO: MOVE]

I know better than to try and implement a new workout schedule at this time of year. Work is going to be unholy chaos and I have the additional dread of potentially travelling (a short distance). So I just want to aim for some sort of movement every day. It might be walking to work, it might be doing a push-up face-off with Sunshine (we've been having fun with that recently), it might be a yoga session, or it might be some very active questionable dancing whilst cooking.

[GOAL THREE: CREATE]

This one is back because for one thing, it's fun, and for another, it helps keep me busy and keep the winter blues away. Admittedly they aren't anywhere near as bad this year thanks to my medication and actively hauling my life back on track, but that does not make me immune and I must remain vigilant. Pursuing creative endeavours is a great way to do this. On one hand, I'm a part of two D&D campaigns and am taking a headfirst dive into D&D as a whole, and on the other, more practical hand, I have a blanket to finish and sketchbooks to fill. And everything that falls in between the two ends of the spectrum.

And there we have one simple holiday challenge!

• Like 11
  • That's Metal 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

[ZERO WEEK]

Drama! And the outcome depends entirely on how I do out here in real life.

Full adherence to goals: Success!

Moderate adherence to goals: Success, but at a price

Minimal adherence to goals: Failure

I'll do a midweek narrative check-in to begin to set up just how things will go. I have a few different ideas for different outcomes, so I'll do whatever matches both my goal commitment and how things are going IRL. For example, if things go dramatically out here, things will go dramatically in there. Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out! While I can absolutely influence the goal commitment end of the scale, there's absolutely nothing I can do about drama vs. quietness. That's a complete wildcard that I have to figure out a way to respond to.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

Following again!

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

10 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Sounds great Yeti, here of course :) xx

Thanks! And it's wonderful to have you here :D

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

I'll do a midweek narrative check-in to begin to set up just how things will go. I have a few different ideas for different outcomes, so I'll do whatever matches both my goal commitment and how things are going IRL. For example, if things go dramatically out here, things will go dramatically in there.

we are narrative twinning this challenge.  I'm excited!!

• Like 2

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

1 hour ago, Novaurora said:

we are narrative twinning this challenge.  I'm excited!!

EXCITMENT INTENSIFIES

30 minutes ago, fearless 2.0 said:

Here for this!!!! ❤️

Happy to have you here :D

I'm here to lurk and cheer you on!

• Like 2

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

6 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

I'm here to lurk and cheer you on!

Most excellent :D

[ZERO WEEK]

So you know when you get a message late one night reminding you that you're going on a first aid renewal course in the morning and your lift will be there t pick you up at 6:30am? Yeah... I'd completely forgotten I'd agreed to that, and I did not expect to have to wake up so early. Still. Here we are. I'm travelling further up the coast with only a single co-worker by my side, barely ready to face an unknown situation. How exactly is this going to work and abide by social distancing rules? And the worry that's niggling me most, will returning to somewhere on the doorstep of where I grew up show me faces I've tried to hard to forget?

This will be fun...

Nothing for it though, gotta just get on with it. I don't know when this will finish, so I don't know when I'll be back, but be back I shall and I'll do a proper update then.

• Like 7
  • That's Metal 1

Good luck. You got this.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

8 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hope this goes alright Yeti, will be thinking of you xx

Thanks! It turned out ok in the end, minus a hiccup or two.

5 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

good luck today! I hope it's a productive, stress-free day and you return home safe and sound. 

Thanks! I am indeed home safe and sound, and it certainly was productive today.

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Good luck. You got this.

Thanks Tank!

• Like 2

[ZERO WEEK]

Off to a good start! Well, with the challenge anyway... That first aid course that started at 8am? Well it turns out that the Overlord somehow missed the part of the email where the start time was put, and in large and bolded font at that. Was it 8am? Nope, it was 9am. We got there early as it was, so we spent the better part of an hour and a half freezing our asses off in the canteen.

Aside from that, it went well. The first day has been both a good refresher and has provided me with some interesting updates. We've got a good group in for it, social distancing and proper hygiene procedures are being followed, and we had our first break in time for me to snag the last bacon of the canteen breakfast shift!

My food has been pretty good today, considering. Bacon, eggs, and waffles for breakfast. A turkey salad roll for lunch. A little chocolate and some carrots and hummus for snacks. Dinner will be made when Sunshine gets in from work, but I'm planning chicken and veg. Might have been a little excessive with the coffee consumption, but coffee was free and came in tiny cups, so...

Movement has also been good. Believe me, vigorous CPR practice counts! I also took a very short walk to get some sun (and some Sunshine!) during the lunch break.

Creation will happen now. I have about two hours free, plenty of time to figure out what I want to do and go ahead and do it.

I'll catch up with folks in bits and pieces over the course of the next few days. This course is very socially intensive and this is a socially intensive challenge (because I want it to be!), and I want to both pace myself and give people the time and attention they deserve.

• Like 7
  • That's Metal 1

Glad the course is going well. Sorry it involved an unnecessary early start though! 

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

38 minutes ago, Rhovaniel said:

Glad the course is going well. Sorry it involved an unnecessary early start though! 

It's fine, I've just gotta punt the little shite into a bin or something when I next see him... We'll be in at a more reasonable time tomorrow, now that we know the actual start time and how long it takes, and by all accounts getting out earlier as we got through a lot of it today.

• Like 2

Here and following along again!

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26Nerevarine [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

21 hours ago, Harriet said:

Feasting is an EXCELLENT challenge goal! I would also like to hear more of the blanket (quilting? knitting?) and see any sketching, if you wish to share.

It's a knitted blanket for my bedroom. It was supposed to be done for this winter, but... Still, there's plenty of winter left! And I may or may not share sketches depending on how I feel at the time. I'm trying to get better about things like that.

10 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Here and following along again!

Great to have you along :D

• Like 2

[ZERO WEEK]

Today went pretty well. Got a little extra time in bed, didn't arrive to the course ridiculously early, and after another fairly lengthy day, I am now once again a qualified first aider. I have also appointed myself as the appointed person again. Last time I was the one who got shit done, and ever since I had to give that post up, shit did not get done. So I'm putting myself there and I'm getting it done.

Goals-wise, food was again pretty good today, all things considered. Nothing I'm concerned about, thankfully.

Movement happened. More CPR practise to the point where I could no longer use my wrist, plus some comical running around the room many times in order to simulate running for an AED.

I'm going to stretch the bounds of my creativity day today and just read. I'm tired. Reading is good, plus it gives me ideas.

I'll be in and out for a few more hours before taking an early night.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

[ZERO WEEK]

Today went pretty well. Got a little extra time in bed, didn't arrive to the course ridiculously early, and after another fairly lengthy day, I am now once again a qualified first aider. I have also appointed myself as the appointed person again. Last time I was the one who got shit done, and ever since I had to give that post up, shit did not get done. So I'm putting myself there and I'm getting it done.

Goals-wise, food was again pretty good today, all things considered. Nothing I'm concerned about, thankfully.

Movement happened. More CPR practise to the point where I could no longer use my wrist, plus some comical running around the room many times in order to simulate running for an AED.

I'm going to stretch the bounds of my creativity day today and just read. I'm tired. Reading is good, plus it gives me ideas.

I'll be in and out for a few more hours before taking an early night.

getting shit done cheers to that!!!!! :)

• Like 1

be fearlessly yourself! :onthego:

32 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

I have also appointed myself as the appointed person again.

Heck yeah!

33 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

Movement happened. More CPR practise to the point where I could no longer use my wrist

Ouch! Take it easy with the wrist. I find gentle rotations help my wrist not get too stiff and sore after stuff like that. Weirdly though, it was my knees that protested most with all the CPR training when I had to do my basic life support course. I am not looking forward to that renewal.

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

2021 Quests: