Music for the background (Youtube link): BrunuhVille - Winterwolf

Hi y'all!

I'm a druid. The kind who sits still and reflects. Who wanders in nature and reflects. Who doesn't sleep and reflects. Who endures the hits and reflects... I think you are starting to see the pattern, here.

There is something very wrong in my life. I am always on survival mode, why? Why don't I ever consider my situation as good enough? Why do I mix serenity and acceptance with an unsatiable hunger for greatness and aiming ever higher? Why is my answer to everything "just get stronger and overpower it?"

The pieces are getting together and I've finally set the right circumstances to start my journey. 4 years without what I'd call a life just to get ready to stand at the startline!? Does that make even a remote bit of sense!?

Anyway, I'm not about to give up when I'm finally getting ready to leave my shell and bring the battlefield outside of my own self. The time to rise and shine (motivational youtube video) is getting closer and I intend to GRAB it and NOT LET GO! I've learnt that success doesn't feel like success. I've learnt that it doesn't look like it either. It still is success. People are unhappy around you and you keep gathering loud complaints about the things you're not doing but you know you've done everything you can and that the right pieces are at the right spot for life to keep on. You are tackling a mountain and have dug holes in key places. While people still see a mountain, you know it's a swiss cheese and while it'll never cease to look threatening, you've cut most of the teeth out of it. But they grow back and there are many... the pile of work never ceases to grow.

The hardest lesson I've learnt this year is to realize that living in a State putting forward the rule-of-law doesn't mean that the law is upheld and individuals get a fair treatment from the authorities. What it means is that every decision that is taken can be challenged in front of the proper instance. Living in a State pretending to abide by the rule-of-law means that at any time, individuals can fight for their rights and people who don't fight most often don't get fair treatment. In a sens, that is fair and is keeping us at the ready, in a shape good enough to take on the challenges that keep coming.

But enough of the freezing cold but clear night that surrounds my thoughts. What I've learnt is that not having the optimal circumstances for the fight we are about to lead is no excuse not to fight. Life doesn't care about our circumstances, what we face is reality and the outcomes of our actions don't change just because we refuse to look them in the eyes. What we don't see or think about still is.

Last challenge round, I've brought hiking back into my life. It has done me good but I'm still walking with my head down, shoulders bent. There is no pride in me, people can walk all over me and I am not life-ready. I know what I have to do. I have to train my core and upper body. This is a place I've already been to and it's a place I like. That there is no time handed to me on a plate to do it is no excuse. Time to bring workouts back on the menu!

The challenge

I win if:

• I keep going out on a hike once a week (no preparation needed);
  • I work out every other day with 4 sets of 10:
    • bodyweight squats;
    • inverted bodyweights rows;
    • push-ups;

as well as perform 4x10s of hollow ups.

I've got the knowledge. I can get the body shape. I am adaptative. I can survive anything that happens. Once the wild beast in me will truly be at the ready, it'll be time to start rocking at life in society. I'm on my way to become a werewolf, at ease in social situations as well as in survival mode but, for now, let's focus on simply waking up the plain, regular wolf.

• Like 9
  • That's Metal 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

5 hours ago, Jean said:

But enough of the freezing cold but clear night that surrounds my thoughts. What I've learnt is that not having the optimal circumstances for the fight we are about to lead is no excuse not to fight. Life doesn't care about our circumstances, what we face is reality and the outcomes of our actions don't change just because we refuse to look them in the eyes. What we don't see or think about still is.

And if we can't change what we face,  we have to accept that and face it anyway. I will be following your challenge closely, in the hopes of learning from it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

"The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward." -Steve Maraboli

17 hours ago, Jean said:

The pieces are getting together and I've finally set the right circumstances to start my journey. 4 years without what I'd call a life just to get ready to stand at the startline!? Does that make even a remote bit of sense!?

Yes...starting happens when you're ready. You've been working towards this, I wouldn't say you haven't started, progress may not come as quickly as you want but you started four years ago 😉 

Here to support you on your journey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE Moves

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 63

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

14 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I will be following your challenge closely, in the hopes of learning from it. 

Thanks. This will also be a chilling out challenge, I hope to rediscover that there is calmness in physical exercise. Your wisdom is, as always, very welcome and I am looking forward to your inputs.

2 hours ago, RES said:

Yes...starting happens when you're ready. You've been working towards this, I wouldn't say you haven't started, progress may not come as quickly as you want but you started four years ago 😉 

Here to support you on your journey

Welcome! :)

I'd say progress first happens slowly under the snow. Then, when it's finally time, the snowdrop pierces through and blossoms. This is definitely the start, like Spring is the start of the year. We're standing at the 21st day of March of my life. This date has significance, I was born the day before.

-.--

As usual, I'm going with the "decide to do something, then do it. Don't wait." philosophy, so I'm skipping week 0. The workout has been done today, going out in the chill air was nice but I'm very out of shape. xD

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

1 minute ago, Jean said:

As usual, I'm going with the "decide to do something, then do it. Don't wait." philosophy, so I'm skipping week 0. The workout has been done today, going out in the chill air was nice but I'm very out of shape. xD

Good philosophy! I don't do well in chill though :D 

• Haha 1

Spoiler

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

7 minutes ago, RES said:

I don't do well in chill though :D 

You're not hairy enough! Dense, sheep-like, silksoft, furry body hair is what you need. :P

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Jean said:

You're not hairy enough! Dense, sheep-like, silksoft, furry body hair is what you need. :P

Nope, not gonna happen then! LOL

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Jean said:

Thanks. This will also be a chilling out challenge, I hope to rediscover that there is calmness in physical exercise. Your wisdom is, as always, very welcome and I am looking forward to your inputs.

Aft first this made me laugh, then it made me smile. It's good to know that my round-about rambling posts that are primarily a way for me to figure things out, are of help to someone. I would never have described them as "wisdom" though. ;) 

• Like 4

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

On 11/29/2020 at 6:19 PM, Jean said:

Last challenge round, I've brought hiking back into my life. It has done me good but I'm still walking with my head down, shoulders bent. There is no pride in me, people can walk all over me and I am not life-ready. I know what I have to do. I have to train my core and upper body. This is a place I've already been to and it's a place I like. That there is no time handed to me on a plate to do it is no excuse. Time to bring workouts back on the menu!

I love the way you have mixed physical training with something deeper. Very druidic.

I'm pretty sure I stole one of my goals (for this challenge and continuing as a sort of theme/resolution for 2021) from a discussion on your thread. The idea of focusing on being kind rather than nice. It's really stuck with me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

31 minutes ago, Xena said:

I'm pretty sure I stole one of my goals (for this challenge and continuing as a sort of theme/resolution for 2021) from a discussion on your thread. The idea of focusing on being kind rather than nice. It's really stuck with me.

I remember this from one of Jean's challenges as well.  I've always been a fan of this distinction.

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

Hello. I do not think we have met, but I think I have seen your name around the forums. Just thought I would say hi, and I love the philosophy vibes radiating from your challenge =D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice)

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 16 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

19 hours ago, ladymorella said:

This always made the most sense to me. Unless the start needs some sort of plan or prep. But you already started that so . . .

Welcome!

Also, yes. Planning, for me, usually comes during the later parts of doing the stuff, when following the plan becomes plain boring. The 5 weeks format is cool: by week 3, I usually come up with an idea of what I'd want to focus on in my life so I spend two weeks crafting the first post of my next challenge while trying not to get too bored with the challenge I'm still trying to complete. I tend to drop things pretty easily, so keeping on planning helps to keep me in a dynamic balance.

16 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

that are primarily a way for me to figure things out

This has Wisdom written all over it in my dictionary. ;)

14 hours ago, Xena said:

I love the way you have mixed physical training with something deeper. Very druidic.

Hi! :)

Also, yes. I'm using physical focus to do mind things, because I tend to do too many mind things when I don't do the physical ones and my mind ends up saturated and in need of decluttering. You've known me at a time when running was all that was standing between me and chaos. Reading you and strickland writing about 3km runs like "hey, I had a little time on my hands so I went for a small run" helped me to stick with it. Nice to have you around.

14 hours ago, Xena said:

14 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I remember this from one of Jean's challenges as well.  I've always been a fan of this distinction.

See? Wisdom! The way I remember it, it was sticking out so clearly from what Scaly Freak had written that it felt like I was stealing it (and I'm pretty sure I did). I guess it's what happens when we lay down our thoughts and let them act as catalysts for our own and other people's thoughts. That one was a game changer in the way I was seeing the world and myself, thanks for having helped me realize that.

13 hours ago, Aquarii said:

Hello. I do not think we have met, but I think I have seen your name around the forums. Just thought I would say hi, and I love the philosophy vibes radiating from your challenge =D

We have! In the exact same circumstances, one year from now if I'm not mistaken (time has had a tendency to become quite the abstract concept, lately). Welcome and enjoy the journey!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Jean said:

This has Wisdom written all over it in my dictionary. ;)

Okay, fair enough.

• That's Metal 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

30 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Okay, fair enough.

I'm shamelessly stealing that too, by the way. ;)

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 2

10 hours ago, Jean said:

We have! In the exact same circumstances, one year from now if I'm not mistaken (time has had a tendency to become quite the abstract concept, lately). Welcome and enjoy the journey!

Now that you mention it, I do remember that, and yes, it was a year ago. In that case, it is nice to see you again, haha.

• Like 2

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice)

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 16 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

I've been more productive than I've been in some time, today: I've finally gathered the attachment and posted the two letters I had to (for administrative and financial stuff). That it actually is big achievement tells you about the state of my life of late. I'm having a headache which I credit to having drunk way too much coffee and way too few water along with not sleeping enough. I've gone back home to rest a bit and now I'm rolling through topics INSTEAD OF GOING OUT TO WORK OUT!

How can I be a hero if I give in to some lousy headache? Time to get out and train!

• Like 3

Well, it took me one more hour of mindless browsing but it is done. I am having glimpses of what a balanced version of my life could be but there are some fundamental behaviours that I have to change. I've always seen time as an ally, as in, "give it time and problems won't be problems anymore and you'll be further ahead on your way, which is good" but I'm starting to think of it as "I've taken a lot of time already and I am not making progress nearly quickly enough!"

That has to change too if I want to get my dynamic equilibrium working.

Edit: I think one thing that has changed is that I don't see myself as able to be in a relationship anymore, which means helping my potential future children to become better human beings is no more on the table, in my head. That, in turn, means that if I don't accomplish things by myself, my life would have been meaningless. I don't want my life to be meaningless and, right now, it is. I need to spend more time on what truly matters to me, which means steeling myself and saying "no". This has a way of terrifying me and I'm stuck.

Trying to define what meaningful would be, I end up with financial goals (in a, I could use that wealth to help other people), political ones (in a, I need more time in order not to be stressed and balance the forces that put us in this "always do more with less" unsunstainable motion) or simpler, more balanced life ones (as in, living in a semi-remote home, breeding poultry, growing vegetables, brewing herbs and remedies). That last one needs money (to buy the land and sustain a very basic level of life), the other ones need time, which  I don't see another way to buy than with money.

Hopefully, my mind will be in a better place next year, when I'll have dealt with the big bills that cast a shadow over my finances currently and I'll be able to put aside some meaningful savings for the first time in my life.

Edit 2: My state of mind may also have something to do with the fact that I'm piling 10-11h workdays since two months, that all my holidays, this year, have gone toward my hiking course (which is awesome, but means I haven't taken some meaningful time fully for myself in a while), that I still have built up stress from moving, having dealt with my jerk of a former landlord and not having taken the time to fully appropriate my new home (everything is a mess around here) along with me sleeping roughly 4 hours a night these days. Maaaaaaybe that has something to do with it too. Who knows?

• Like 5

Yup, it's working. I can feel the difference in my demeanor and the way I'm walking, more steady, less rushed and standing more straight.

This is how life is meant to be.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

I've just had this thought creeping back up while browsing through challenge threads: I don't choose. I try to overpower things because I try to have them all achieved at the same time. This means I am putting everything at the same value level which, concretely, brings back what is important to me on a "mundane things" level instead of making it special and worthy of dedicated endeavours.

I'll be thinking of a way to put "perfect" into my endeavours, in order to have them require my whole focus and allowing for the sacrifice of what isn't especially important, without fear.

ETA: Incidently, this is also part of why I'm not able to develop a relationship. By putting every human being on equal standing, I deprive any potential special one of this very special status. This is good if you want to care for humanity as a whole but not if I want to build a family. One more priority I'll have to think of.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2020 at 12:16 AM, Jean said:

I am having glimpses of what a balanced version of my life could be but there are some fundamental behaviours that I have to change.

I can't tell from your posts what exactly is going on in your life, but it sounds like you're doing the difficult but necessary work of making your life what you want it to be rather than what's easy. Good luck and strength to you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

6 hours ago, Jean said:

I've just had this thought creeping back up while browsing through challenge threads: I don't choose. I try to overpower things because I try to have them all achieved at the same time. This means I am putting everything at the same value level which, concretely, brings back what is important to me on a "mundane things" level instead of making it special and worthy of dedicated endeavours.

I'll be thinking of a way to put "perfect" into my endeavours, in order to have them require my whole focus and allowing for the sacrifice of what isn't especially important, without fear.

ETA: Incidently, this is also part of why I'm not able to develop a relationship. By putting every human being on equal standing, I deprive any potential special one of this very special status. This is good if you want to care for humanity as a whole but not if I want to build a family. One more priority I'll have to think of.

Extremely insightful :) it can be tough to prioritize when you want to do everything and have it done yesterday. I have no doubt you're up to this challenge 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

15 hours ago, Harriet said:

I can't tell from your posts what exactly is going on in your life, but it sounds like you're doing the difficult but necessary work of making your life what you want it to be rather than what's easy. Good luck and strength to you!

Thanks! Nothing too out of the ordinary going on, which is why I'm focused on changing my ordinary, because I want to live one that rocks! I'll make good use of that strength in the ongoing grind that is Life. :)

15 hours ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

Here for the hiking and philosophical druidry! 

Welcome! Hiking day will be Sunday. We're having snow so it will be at fairly low altitude but I'll try to find an interesting course to plot.

9 hours ago, RES said:

Extremely insightful :) it can be tough to prioritize when you want to do everything and have it done yesterday. I have no doubt you're up to this challenge 

Thanks! I think of figuring out how to handle being more focused as part of the ongoing challenge that bettering myself is. I've done a challenge round focused around doing things with purpose but that wasn't nearly enough (and, like I most of the time do, I've spent quite some time handling other issues than focusing on really creating excellence habits). Wisdom would be boring if it was easy to acquire, I guess. ^_^ Onward, dear friends! Always onward!

The workout has been done and I have a four days weekend ahead of me. I'll try to be kind to myself and make it sweet and enjoyable time. Have fun and take care, y'all!

• Like 5