Intro that I totally stole off my last challenge:

Spoiler

Ok, if anyone doesn't know me, I'm a budding cosplayer. I've done lots of sewing-only costumes, then decided to step it up and explore thermoplastics in 2017. It took some time, but I debuted my first major cosplay - Jane Foster's Thor - in 2019. This year got messed up due to the pandemic, but I still made another character, Taboo from Wildstorm comics. Both were pretty involved costumes, but in typical me fashion, I want to one-up my past self. I've wanted to make wings as part of a costume for many, many years. Not like coat-wire and stocking-fabric wings; I'm aiming myself at jointed, feathered, moving wings. Conveniently, Jane Foster (in the comic, not in the movies) has given up Mjolnir and become Valkyrie, a character I quite like and who has wings now and then. 

Last month's challenge was slightly derailed by family drama. To summarize, the gentleman (husband) and I are in process of evicting his family out of the house he owns so he can sell it; fortunately, it's at the stage where we don't have to do much, just get reports from the evictions lawyer. Due to the time and costs that all that entailed, the "purchase supplies and tinker with them" stage for the wings got delayed. I finally ordered stuff this past weekend which should come in within the next couple weeks. The first steps, I think, will be to figure out how to program the arduino and hook up the servos and controller to move precisely and without fail. Since I have not mucked with electrical wiring since the time of Commodore 64 computers (yup, just dated myself), there will doubtless be a learning curve. 

My other goals are fairly straightforward; they've been with me in one form or another since before I joined nf. 

• Exercise: 3 days' cardio, 3 days' weights at home. New rule - cardio inside if it's below 45° outside.
  • Languages: Maintain French via continuing to learn Les Mis. Shift Russian to maintenance by doing bookwork 2 days a week. 3 is bonus. 
  • Learning: Check out and read at least 2 books on Scandinavian countries, just because. 
  • Cosplay: Figure out the wiring for the wings. 
  • Extras:
    • Put up the "greenhouse" under the stairs. 
    • Lay out 3 more chapters of my favorite webcomic for print form. 

That seems like less than usual, but it is a shorter challenge, and holidays exist, so we'll go for that. 

• Like 18

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

2 hours ago, Manarelle said:
  • Languages: Maintain French via continuing to learn Les Mis. Shift Russian to maintenance by doing bookwork 2 days a week. 3 is bonus. 
  • Learning: Check out and read at least 2 books on Scandinavian countries, just because. 

I support these two goals in particular because I am, in all things, a student of worldliness 🤓

• Like 3

[ Level ?? ]  Thunderlord of the Legio Thundaris 

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

What is your favourite webcomic?

Lore Olympus. Sort of a modern take on the Hades-Persephone story. Technically a romance but not sappy, and they really flesh out the other deities, too. I love it and I was to reread it a lot, but not scrolling on a device. I like paper and curling up to read. 

2 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

I support these two goals in particular because I am, in all things, a student of worldliness 🤓

Took me a minute to realize you said worldliness and not wordiness, but either way, heck yeah.  I'm sort of idly browsing for a new language to study, so suggestions are welcome, as well as worldly stories. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello. I'll be following along. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

16 hours ago, Manarelle said:

I'm sort of idly browsing for a new language to study

I hope you find something

*cough*Mandarin*cough*

• Haha 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 12/1/2020 at 8:04 AM, Epsilonte said:

In it for the win(gs)! :D

A quote to live by, for sure.

On 12/1/2020 at 8:22 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I hope you find something

*cough*Mandarin*cough*

*cough*hellno*cough*

I did  two semesters of Mandarin in college. Any language where you can't even sound out a new word is a hard pass for me, thanks tho. 

Yesterday was.... not great. I thought I was just being moody due to extreme lack of sleep thanks to the damn cat, but apparently there were hormones involved as well. It was also the first night below freezing, so of course I had to run out to pick up a prescription, and the place had you stand outside the door and call for them to come out and hand it to you.... in below freezing hella wind. I have a rule about not cardio-ing outside if it's below 45°, so I tried a new setting on the treadmill inside and unfortunately, ended up hating it.  "Rolling hills" is not how I would describe different speeds and different inclines, all over a 10% grade. That's called stair climbing. Despite all that, I still got another chapter of LO laid out and some maintenance Russian work in. 

Stuff for the wings should start arriving this weekend. I'm... all a-flutter. :D

• Like 8

Hey hey! I have no idea if you know Spanish, but it's always a fun language to learn!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

On 12/3/2020 at 2:14 AM, Ann of Owlshire said:

Loving the cosplay! 

Thanks! I'm no professional, but each one is better. 

12 hours ago, Red1263 said:

Hey hey! I have no idea if you know Spanish, but it's always a fun language to learn!

I do not, and I recognize that it is helpful, especially in the US. I've tried learning it in the past, and gave up for two reasons: 1) French is very similar, so I've gotten by in the past by me speaking French, them speaking Spanish, and understanding is reached. 2) I drove a tow truck in the greater Washington DC area for several years, and the attitudes I got from Spanish-speakers there were... off-putting. But enough time has passed that it is something to consider again, for sure.

My electrical apparati have started showing up. So far, I've gotten all the support odds and ends and not the actual control board or motors, so I haven't been able to tinker at all. Still, it's a step in the right direction. Also, I called the lawyer today, and they confirmed that the eviction paperwork has been filed and they expect to her something back within two weeks, so cross your fingers for us, please. There was a bit of an odd moment yesterday where a significant financial new site reported that our company was entertaining a bid to sell *everything*. With the pandemic, I've taken to hanging out in the discord channel run by our IT guys. Rather than spreading rumor, they called the CFO and CIO to confirm - the CFO denied it, and the CIO (who is not a great liar) hadn't even heard about it. So either it's nothing to be worried about or it's so under wraps that only the CEO knows about it - in either case, it's not worth worry time.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Anim07734 said:

I think you should learn German, so you can teach me appropriate phrases to use as Nightcrawler. :P

Hahaha. German is one that I dabbled in a bit here and there. Anything in particular you're looking for? 

3 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Hahaha. German is one that I dabbled in a bit here and there. Anything in particular you're looking for? 

I'm mostly just looking for the flavorful stuff he uses in the comics, shows, and movies, like "guttentag" and "danke" or the nicknames for his friends.  But honestly, I already have 2 friends who are fluent, if I was willing to put in the work. 🤷‍♀️

• Haha 1

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

6 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

I think you should learn German, so you can teach me appropriate phrases to use as Nightcrawler. :P

Fals du wirklich Deutsch üben willst, dann übe ich gern damit. (Ähm. Wir dutzen uns hier bei Nersdfitness, gel?)

On 11/30/2020 at 6:06 PM, Manarelle said:

Intro that I totally stole off my last challenge:

Oh wow, I love your costumes! That is the nerdiest thing I have ever seen ❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

21 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Hehe, German would be fun, I'd love to converse with you. :) Though I heard it's a rather tough language to learn. :D 

After 10 years of Russian and a couple years of Arabic and Mandarin thrown in there, German holds no fear for me. :) 

7 hours ago, pureleeawesome said:

I'm super curious to know which books you have/will choose for this.

I browsed the library catalogue for keyword: scandinavian. First two that seemed interesting were Made in Sweden: 25 ideas that created a country by Elisabeth Åsbrink and Fika: The Art of The Swedish Coffee Break, with Recipes for Pastries, Breads, and Other Treats by Anna Brones and Johanna Kindvall. The fist one I've read a bit of, it's covered the enmity between Sweden and Denmark, the questionable history of Beowulf as a national identity, and how early Christianity had to make room for a focus on nature. Certainly not an exhaustive book, but an easy, broad read on background social views. I browed the recipes in the second one (because what better way to know a society than its food (hush, language brain), and I'm a baker not a cook) but apparently you can't get cardamom in my area, so I haven't dived in yet. 

On 12/4/2020 at 4:02 PM, Harriet said:

Oh wow, I love your costumes! That is the nerdiest thing I have ever seen ❤️

Hee! Thank you. :) Hopefully I can start the new one soon. I just learned the actual servos won't get here til the 23rd, alas. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Tinkering!

Language learning!

Weights!

Xo9kno.gif

I'm in.

• Haha 4

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

On 12/5/2020 at 12:12 AM, Manarelle said:

There was a bit of an odd moment yesterday where a significant financial new site reported that our company was entertaining a bid to sell *everything*. With the pandemic, I've taken to hanging out in the discord channel run by our IT guys. Rather than spreading rumor, they called the CFO and CIO to confirm - the CFO denied it, and the CIO (who is not a great liar) hadn't even heard about it. So either it's nothing to be worried about or it's so under wraps that only the CEO knows about it - in either case, it's not worth worry time.

Depending on the size and structure of your company, it may be illegal for the CEO alone to negotiate these types of transactions.  That said, in most cases any transaction of considerable size the CFO would know about it (the CIO likely would not unless he/she sits on the Board) but the CFO would be bound by a non-disclosure agreement and would be prevented from admitting to knowing anything about it. 

Even if a sale of the company as in the works, it usually doesn't impact the lowest level employees much at all.  In the cases where people get made redundant from a merger/acquisition, it is usually the mid to senior level management that are the most at risk.

• Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Depending on the size and structure of your company, it may be illegal for the CEO alone to negotiate these types of transactions.  That said, in most cases any transaction of considerable size the CFO would know about it (the CIO likely would not unless he/she sits on the Board) but the CFO would be bound by a non-disclosure agreement and would be prevented from admitting to knowing anything about it. 

Even if a sale of the company as in the works, it usually doesn't impact the lowest level employees much at all.  In the cases where people get made redundant from a merger/acquisition, it is usually the mid to senior level management that are the most at risk.

Yup, you're spot on. I do not believe the CIO is on the board. There was some consternation among the IT guys, because usually if there's a company-wide hulabaloo, the C-suites put out a "no, calm yourselves, this isn't true" email.... and they haven't yet. So the IT guys are brushing up their resumes and working on new certifications. One of the reasons I am less worried is because we have five projects actively under construction now. Not to be rude, but IT people are somewhat interchangeable; it's harder (though not impossible) to swap out the people managing a construction site mid-project. I've been slightly grumpy for the past 6.5 years because both Asset Management and Development departments keep saying "oh that's a small thing to monitor, we'll just give it to Manarelle," even though I technically am only Development, buuuuuuuut now all of that stuff is sort of a mental lifejacket. My boss (the Sr. VP of the company) has mentioned in the past that if I leave, he wants 6 months' overlap with my replacement; I had no overlap with my predecessor and it took me about 2 years to really be comfortable in my role. It's possible that a new owner would just kick me out, but pretty unlikely. Hence, not gonna worry. 

13 hours ago, Stronkey Kong said:

Tinkering!

Language learning!

Weights!

I'm in.

7c6.jpg

Started reading the Fika book this morning, after breakfast so I wouldn't be too tempted to start a baking binge. So many recipes I want to try! One of the biggest downsides to the pandemic for me is that I can't bring baked goods into work. The gentleman and I don't really eat many sweets (I mean, I want to, but I know better... he just doesn't like sweet things), so I usually make something, keep like 1/4 of it for us at home, and then take the rest in to work to be disposed of. The recipes in the Fika book seem to be smaller batches, so I might be able to halve them and be ok. I still miss baking for others tho, alas. 

• Like 7

Will you be sharing the contents of these books with us? Or will you be telling us about your experiences with them?

• Like 2

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."