Can I pretend that things are settling down? I mean, they're not, but I can pretend right? 

Last challenge we moved into our "new" 100 year old farmhouse (which needs a name...). We're settled in as much as we can be until we work through the project list. First up is to fix some plumbing issues, then to get the upstairs ready for us to move up there (which may involve replacing the staircase, I need to get a second opinion on that). So we're temporarily set up in a downstairs bedroom that will be come DH's gaming room while his stuff is camped out in what will become my office. 

I leveled up professionally (that's Maigs, CPA to all of you) right about the same time I learned that our company is merging as of the new year. I have no idea what this will mean. Short-to-medium-term at least we're staying in our current office with our current boss, but we'll be switching over to their IT and processing immediately. This has the potential to be a very good thing, but also has the potential to kinda suck during and after the transition. TBD

So I have these on top of COVID, a president determined to break shit on his way out, an aging Floof with an unknown amount of time left, we haven't technically sold our old home yet, and *gestures vaguely*, so things definitely aren't settled. But, I'm going to act like I'm settled and just build on my one-thing-at-a-time plan that I recently started

Goals:

Kickboxing - 3x/week. Will likely be Sun, Tues, & Thurs so it doesn't interfere with online Pathfinder gaming on Wednesdays. I failed at this last challenge, but mostly due to circumstances rather than not wanting to go. Should be much better this time

Soda - None. I have a bad habit of letting this gradually build up so I'm working on resetting to zero again. I had two sodas during the last challenge which was a big win for me

Mobility - Stretch daily. I'm on the verge of injuring myself due to having such poor mobility. My right hip is janky, my left foot has plantar fasciitis, my right shoulder is starting to get janky, and now my right ankle is bugging me. I'm sure most, if not all, of it is due to the fact that I'm about as flexible as a 2x4. So I need to do some sort of stretching/mobility work daily

• Like 8

Current Challenge:  Maigs Starts Over

Congrats on the new suffix!! That's awesome! 

Can we see pics of the new-old place? I'm trying to envision it, but I could use an aid :) right now it's looking very Green Gables in my head (I'm currently binging Anne with an E, it's so insanely well done!)

Omg I feel you on the mobility stuff - my body is falling apart! I may have to join you on this goal - I can't seem to convince myself to work out, but maybe I can at least stretch and roll...

I'm sorry about the overwhelming nature of... Basically everything. I feel you. Nothing to be done but ride it out. And vent here, of course! 

• Like 1

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

11 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

Congrats on the new suffix!! That's awesome! 

Can we see pics of the new-old place? I'm trying to envision it, but I could use an aid :) right now it's looking very Green Gables in my head (I'm currently binging Anne with an E, it's so insanely well done!)

Omg I feel you on the mobility stuff - my body is falling apart! I may have to join you on this goal - I can't seem to convince myself to work out, but maybe I can at least stretch and roll...

I'm sorry about the overwhelming nature of... Basically everything. I feel you. Nothing to be done but ride it out. And vent here, of course

Thanks! It's kinda crazy, I did the hard part (passing the exam) EIGHT YEARS AGO, but you have to have specific work experience that my old job didn't count towards, so I just sat 3/4 of the way there until changing jobs two years ago. 

I don't have a ton of pictures yet, but I'll post what I do have in a bit. It's a 1.5 story where the entire upstairs is a "master suite" with a half bath and a huge attached room that can either be a closet or a sitting room (or both, it's really the size of our last bedroom)

Bodies, why do they have to fall apart on us?

Pictures spoilered for size

Spoiler

c8297552491f9b97b5a6b55d3302df0fl-m2303302881xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg
Front of the house from the listing

IMG_20201118_212843974.jpg
Fireplace with one of my grandpa's paintings above it

IMG_20201108_130146205.jpg
Further back shot of the living room. I'm sitting on the couch on the far wall. The door to the left goes to the garage, the door to the right is a built in cabinet that will house my statues (you can kinda see one that wouldn't safely fit in a box). Large black Floof is my mom's dog. Black mass on the chair is a coat, not a floof

IMG_20201020_085329265.jpg
My door handles! All the interior handles look like that. Most of the trim is not spotted like that and it's not mold, the upstairs has areas where someone tried restaining it and failed miserably

IMG_20201020_084428504.jpg
Look at these keys!

• Like 4

That house is so freaking cute, I love it! It looks really comfy and cozy. :) I'd like to sit by that fireplace with a cup of tea and a nice book. 

I get the overwhelmingness of life in addition to the pandemic. Just keep pushing forward and do what you can. Don't beat yourself up too much if you slip up, just get back into the groove of things. I'm here to support you on this challenge all the way! 

Loving your goals. Definitely doable for you I think. Way to go on lowering your soda intake! That's kinda what my challenge is about this month. Drinking more water and less soda. 

Let's do this! 

• Like 1

Heroine of Time

Height: 5'8  Weight: 315lbs

Current Challenge: RhiaWolfe Follows the Way of the Samurai

Previous Challenges: 1234567891011121314151617181920212223

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

"Hyaaaat! Jeeyat-Hiyaaaah Hiet! Hyaaaaaaa Hiyyyyet! Hiyaaaaat Hiyaaaa!" - Link

Fitbit Profile * Good Reads

12 hours ago, Xena said:

Good luck with everything. Hope things have settled down enough for a little more kickboxing.

Thanks! I actually made it to the gym Sunday (not included in my last challenge wrap up) and am prepped to go today as long as needing to meet with my construction project manager doesn't get in the way

Spoiler

Which is semi-awkward. This is the company that removed my chimney and the associated drywall and structure patching that goes along with taking out a 3 story pile of bricks. They are hoping to do more work for us and in true salesman form, the guy is acting like it's a given. But I'm not particularly pleased with them. Case in point, today they are finally finishing up the work (which includes cleaning up the drywalling mess...) after a THREE WEEK gap. The drywallers did a quick wipe down of the kitchen, but that was the extent of the cleaning they did. The upstairs and the mudroom are messes with drywall dust and remnants. I cleaned up enough to keep it from tracking around the house and making everything worse, but I shouldn't have had to do that much. Oh, and there's trim from the pantry just laying on the floor by the kitchen cabinets. No nails, but seriously, why did that have to lay there for so long?

Plus just personality quirks with the PM (he used to be a used car saleman and it shows...) and I just don't want to use them any more. He quoted me an amount to replace the stairs, which need work, but I'm not convinced they need replaced. And he keep bring up the basement finishing even though I've said multiple times we're not doing until we've made it through a rainy season so we can make sure there's no water issues. I non-confontationally told him that we're pausing any more work because of "life", which he took well, but is just kicking the can down the road. I mentioned the drywall mess when we talked last week and he apologized, but I probably didn't make it clear how unhappy I was about it because of previously mentioned non-confrontationalness.  

12 hours ago, ladymorella said:

Those keys are pretty cool!

Welcome! I was very excited about the keys and they actually work. Figuring out which keys go to which doors is an adventure, but luckily none of them go to exterior doors

11 hours ago, Tova the Vibrant said:

That is a very big black Floof!

Lol. He's part of the reason I laugh when people tell me my Floof is so big. Mine weighed just over 75lbs at the most. My last dog (Great Dane mix, zero floof) was 90lbs. Mom's black floof is 120lbs and her last one was about the same. Black Floof is half Saint Bernard and half unknown. We're guessing part Mastiff and part Lab

1 hour ago, RhiaWolfe said:

That house is so freaking cute, I love it! It looks really comfy and cozy. :) I'd like to sit by that fireplace with a cup of tea and a nice book. 

I get the overwhelmingness of life in addition to the pandemic. Just keep pushing forward and do what you can. Don't beat yourself up too much if you slip up, just get back into the groove of things. I'm here to support you on this challenge all the way! 

Loving your goals. Definitely doable for you I think. Way to go on lowering your soda intake! That's kinda what my challenge is about this month. Drinking more water and less soda. 

Let's do this! 

Thanks. It's definitely got quirks, but it's very cute and hopefully we can work through most of the quirks. We need to figure out the fireplace. Neither of us is super comfortable with fireplaces but are considering a pellet stove insert. Unfortunately I haven't found one that will fit yet

Cutting out soda is huge. When I first cut it out I was drinking.....way too much. I figured out an typical day once and it was well over 100oz. I was drinking a short person's daily calorie need in Dr. Pepper. I didn't get nearly that bad this time, but was certainly increasing the amount and didn't want to get back there

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

That house is awesome. Your house is awesome. 

what a crazy year, and it sounds like you have a lot on your plate! Hugs to your floof and cheering you on! 

Thanks! And welcome! It's been a heck of a year. Overall I can't say it's been "bad" but it's definitely been a lot

Week 0 Sunday

I made it to kickboxing, stayed away from soda, did some minor stretching of my legs. It was only two days ago, but I already can't remember what I did for the day. I attempted a hashbrown skillet thing that was fine, but could use improvement. Hubs wanted pancakes so I made him a couple but didn't have any myself. I had a granola bar before going to kickboxing. I still haven't gotten my fitness back judging by how much I was dying about halfway through. Breakfast was pretty late so I didn't have lunch. Dinner was Balsamic Chik'n on rice. Overall quite happy with the day

Week 0 Monday

Back at work after the long weekend. Breakfast was PB&J oatmeal, lunch was leftover casserole. Work was okay. I was hoping for an answer on something I had regarding the merger but it hasn't come back yet. It was a rest day from the gym. Dinner was Chick'n & Biscuits (basically pot pie with biscuits baked on top instead of a crust). Soda was avoided and we even avoided ice cream despite Hubs mentioning he wanted some and us being near Dairy Queen and a grocery store when we were out grabbing our laundry from the old house. I did some quick dynamic mobility stuff in the morning and a more thorough stretch before bed

Week Zero

Kickboxing - 1/3
Soda - 2/7

Mobility - 2/7

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Maigs said:

Reveal hidden contents

Which is semi-awkward. This is the company that removed my chimney and the associated drywall and structure patching that goes along with taking out a 3 story pile of bricks. They are hoping to do more work for us and in true salesman form, the guy is acting like it's a given. But I'm not particularly pleased with them. Case in point, today they are finally finishing up the work (which includes cleaning up the drywalling mess...) after a THREE WEEK gap. The drywallers did a quick wipe down of the kitchen, but that was the extent of the cleaning they did. The upstairs and the mudroom are messes with drywall dust and remnants. I cleaned up enough to keep it from tracking around the house and making everything worse, but I shouldn't have had to do that much. Oh, and there's trim from the pantry just laying on the floor by the kitchen cabinets. No nails, but seriously, why did that have to lay there for so long?

Plus just personality quirks with the PM (he used to be a used car saleman and it shows...) and I just don't want to use them any more. He quoted me an amount to replace the stairs, which need work, but I'm not convinced they need replaced. And he keep bring up the basement finishing even though I've said multiple times we're not doing until we've made it through a rainy season so we can make sure there's no water issues. I non-confontationally told him that we're pausing any more work because of "life", which he took well, but is just kicking the can down the road. I mentioned the drywall mess when we talked last week and he apologized, but I probably didn't make it clear how unhappy I was about it because of previously mentioned non-confrontationalness.  

Cutting out soda is huge. When I first cut it out I was drinking.....way too much. I figured out an typical day once and it was well over 100oz. I was drinking a short person's daily calorie need in Dr. Pepper. I didn't get nearly that bad this time, but was certainly increasing the amount and didn't want to get back there

Well, as you'll see in my challenge, I found that yesterday I drank 88 oz of soda! Good lord that's a lot! I'm definitely hitting my water goal today though. I didn't yesterday. 

You seem to be starting your challenge off strong! Already got in a day of kickboxing and rocking it on the soda and mobility! Yes! All the wins! 

• Like 1

Heroine of Time

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

21 hours ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

I love fizzy drinks, but don’t do soda anymore. Just plain sparkling water. 

I've started drinking flavored sparkling water that has fairly little extra crap in it. My favorite drink right now is actually one of those flavor packets you add to a bottle of water, but it has so much caffeine that I have to be careful to not have too many (120mg/drink)

12 hours ago, Xena said:

You're off to a really strong start!!

22 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

You seem to be starting your challenge off strong! Already got in a day of kickboxing and rocking it on the soda and mobility! Yes! All the wins! 

Thanks! Now I just need to keep it up :P 

Week 0 Tuesday

It was a good day for my goals. I had PB&J oatmeal for breakfast. Work was work, nothing too exciting. Lunch was leftover Mexican Casserole. I went to the gym after work and was extra glad I didn't skip because my meeting with the project manager got push back to today. Dinner was Udon with Peanut Sauce. Before bed I stretched out my legs and rolled my back a bit. Soda has still been avoided. And I think we have a closing date for the old house! I'm waiting for confirmation but it looks like we're closing next Wednesday. 

I'm considering buying a treadmill. I don't think I have a good place to run without driving now (either gravel or 55mph+ roads). And with work I won't be seeing daylight during the week until mid-April. I still have my Spartan Trifecta pass that's been extended through 2021 so I'll be running those next year and it would be very helpful to start running now. I was hoping to have one in my basement home gym once I get that set up anyway, but 1) basement is not finished and 2) I have no idea how much room I'll have once we put in a bathroom and game room and I think I'd rather have a rack than a treadmill if I had to choose between them

Week Zero

Kickboxing - 2/3
Soda - 3/7

Mobility - 3/7

• Like 2

Week 0 Wednesday

Another decent day. I had my normal breakfast and leftover Balsamic Chick'n for lunch. Work was pretty good and I had a quick Zoom meeting with the merging company's HR and got things sorted out with a nice pay bump for me for leveling up plus a small bonus once we merge in January because of level up (something they do for their employees that they're honoring for me). So that was exciting. Hubs decided that deserved a celebration so we got tacos for dinner from Rusty Taco. Luckily my favorites are actually pretty low calorie and I've been good on the rest of my food all week so I was still well within my ideal calorie range for the day despite the huge bag of chips you get with the combo we order. It was a rest day from the gym and I did the bare minimum of stretching but I got it in. And of course no soda. 

Week Zero

Kickboxing - 2/3
Soda - 4/7

Mobility - 4/7

• Like 2

Here!  I'm jealous of your cool ass keys.

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

On 12/3/2020 at 8:47 AM, Maigs said:

Another decent day. I had my normal breakfast and leftover Balsamic Chick'n for lunch. Work was pretty good and I had a quick Zoom meeting with the merging company's HR and got things sorted out with a nice pay bump for me for leveling up plus a small bonus once we merge in January because of level up (something they do for their employees that they're honoring for me). So that was exciting. Hubs decided that deserved a celebration so we got tacos for dinner from Rusty Taco. Luckily my favorites are actually pretty low calorie and I've been good on the rest of my food all week so I was still well within my ideal calorie range for the day despite the huge bag of chips you get with the combo we order. It was a rest day from the gym and I did the bare minimum of stretching but I got it in. And of course no soda. 

Nice! It's cool that the new employer is going to honor your promotion and pay increase! That's awesome. Don't blame you for celebrating!

On 12/3/2020 at 8:47 AM, Maigs said:

Week Zero

Kickboxing - 2/3
Soda - 4/7

Mobility - 4/7

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Heroine of Time

Congrats on the pay rise, that's exciting! I think you've got a really good approach to adding one goal at a time, particularly with all that's going on for you right now.

• Like 2

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

On 12/3/2020 at 7:27 PM, Novaurora said:

Here!  I'm jealous of your cool ass keys.

Aren't they awesome?!

On 12/4/2020 at 9:27 AM, RhiaWolfe said:

Nice! It's cool that the new employer is going to honor your promotion and pay increase! That's awesome. Don't blame you for celebrating!

giphy.gif

Take A Bow Thank You GIF by Iliza
Except I'm not feeling it so much today...more on that later

On 12/4/2020 at 10:05 AM, Jarric said:

Congrats on the pay rise, that's exciting! I think you've got a really good approach to adding one goal at a time, particularly with all that's going on for you right now.

Thanks, one goal at a time is all I can really handle right now. I've been alternating between relatively calm and being a massive ball of anxiety for a few months now and lately I've been freaking out because tax season is getting close and I'm still carrying around the 30lbs I gained last tax season

• Like 1

I've been meaning/trying to update but couldn't get the spoons to spare to post anything.

Week 0 Thursday

I think the day went okay. I had my normal breakfast, leftover Mexican casserole for lunch and Peanut Butter Chipotle Ramen for dinner and no soda. Work was fine and I made it to the gym after. The workout was good, but I ended up in a bit of an anxiety spiral after and didn't accomplish much other than managing to cook dinner. I forgot about stretching until after I was already in bed and couldn't be arsed to even half-ass it. Oh, I got annoyed at my contractor who thinks the job is done even though they half assed the finishes and it shows and still didn't actually clean up. I still have to figure out how to respond. I don't even want them to come back so I'm thinking I'm going to list the issues and dock the payment accordingly. Which is not helping my anxiety since I'm super anti-confrontational, but this is not acceptable

Week 0 Friday

More of the same. Normal breakfast, leftover Chik'n & Biscuits for lunch, and Hubs made spaghetti for dinner and I had a fudgcicle and no soda. I really don't remember much else about the day. It was a rest day from the gym and I forgot to stretch again. I made a huge to-do list because shit keeps piling up and managed to get through some of it, including calling a plumber so hopefully soon I'll have a decent water heater (and other things, but my big complaint right now is that I can only take a semi-warm shower and only if I hurry)

Week 0 Saturday

Ended up in anxiety paralysis much of the day. That makes it sound worse than it is, but I was just too anxious to do much so I sat around on my phone alternating between reading a book and scrolling through nonsense which just made me more anxious. I managed to get a couple of things done with a plan to get some more done tomorrow. I had my normal breakfast, the last of the leftover Balsamic Chik'n for lunch, and a falafel pita for dinner. The Greek place gives free drinks with an entree and I got a lemonade, but didn't actually want it so I gave it to Hubs and just had water. I'm still deep in the anxiety spiral but I managed to get some decent stretching in and am listening to relaxing classical music.

I made the mistake of starting to weigh myself again this week. My scale annoys me because it gets stuck on a number. I've gotten the exact same weight 95%+ of the time for the last few months. Now I know I haven't been consistent and don't expect to have lost weight in that time, but weight fucking fluctuates. I should not get the exact same thing down to the 1/10th of a pound every.single.time. So this week should have felt like a nice easy win of losing some water weight since my food was really good but instead I'm just really annoyed at seeing that same freaking number again. I ordered a new one and it's supposed to arrive tomorrow so we'll see if that helps. Otherwise I'm gonna have to put it away for a while. I weighed myself daily both times I lost weight before and it didn't affect my mood because I could clearly see with the data what was working, what wasn't, what made me bloat and I didn't take the daily fluctuations badly. But this zero fluctuation (for MONTHS) really affects my mood and I can't let it do that

Week Zero

Kickboxing - 3/3
Soda - 7/7

Mobility - 5/7

• Like 2

Week 1 Sunday

I got some more things done from my to-do list. Including writing the very uncomfortable email to the contractor telling them they suck (and listing the reasons why, plus pictures) and suggested paying them a reduced amount to make up for their suckage and offering to talk to the owner if that's not acceptable. I'm gonna have Hubs look it over before I actually send it.

Food was wacky today. I had a frozen breakfast burrito, then grabbed a granola bar on my way to the gym. As I pulled up I realized it was 1:30pm and I needed more than a granola bar to power through a workout so I stopped and bought some trail mix before hitting the gym. Then I made an acorn squash recipe I'd done before for dinner, but something screwed up and it came out inedible. Hubs had his own dinner for game night with the guys from work so I just ended up eating some almond pecan crunch things my mom left plus a couple of cookies someone brought. I'm debating having a quick veggie burger since I feel like I'm short on real food, but I'm not really hungry either. I made it to the gym and didn't drink any soda. I paused from writing this update to get some stretching in.

Week 1

Kickboxing - 1/3
Soda - 1/7

Mobility - 1/7

• Like 3

On 12/5/2020 at 10:40 PM, Maigs said:

Oh, I got annoyed at my contractor who thinks the job is done even though they half assed the finishes and it shows and still didn't actually clean up. I still have to figure out how to respond. I don't even want them to come back so I'm thinking I'm going to list the issues and dock the payment accordingly. Which is not helping my anxiety since I'm super anti-confrontational, but this is not acceptable

This sucks!  I'm sorry your contractor let you down!!  I just mentioned this to my contractor husband who just shook his head in disgust.

Ended up in anxiety paralysis much of the day. That makes it sound worse than it is, but I was just too anxious to do much so I sat around on my phone alternating between reading a book and scrolling through nonsense which just made me more anxious.

I can relate to this so hard.  HUGS!!!!!!

But this zero fluctuation (for MONTHS) really affects my mood and I can't let it do that

I would probably chuck that scale out the window too.

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

2 hours ago, Novaurora said:

This sucks!  I'm sorry your contractor let you down!!  I just mentioned this to my contractor husband who just shook his head in disgust.

It gets even better. Spoilering for ranting

Spoiler

The project manager sent me an email last week saying "here's the revised invoice". I assumed it was from me requesting a new amount since some work on the original estimate wasn't able to be done because it would be a much larger project than initially anticipated. He attached the wrong file and just sent back the original estimate. 

I responded letting him know that it was the wrong file and then explained that I was not happy with the work, listing the issues, and attaching pictures. Issues included not cleaning up the drywall mess (dust and large remnants), using MY broom for what little cleaning they did do, a shoddy job extending the laminate flooring from the kitchen into the now larger pantry (using up most of the spare pieces I had so I can't fix it correctly), instead of trying to appropriately bridge the gap in a corner where old plaster meets new drywall they just nailed pieces of wood around the corner to hide the gap (thanks to trim from the pantry doorway only about 8 inches of the corner has this issue), and turning my heat up to 90F when they left twice. 

I said I was willing to pay basically 94% of the original estimate and we would address the issues ourselves, they don't need to come back. I don't want them to come back. 

He responded that he want to come over to "make the correct adjustments to the invoice, per your request" which to me sounds like he wants us to pay more than what I said because my adjustments weren't "correct". Oh, and by the way, here's the correct attachment for the revised billing from earlier that added $500 for "Re-install trim in closet and pantry area". How was this not in the original scope of the work where they were to remove a chimney in those areas and refinish them? And what a happy coincidence that the extra is almost exactly what I proposed to take off for shoddy work. 

I really don't want to talk to him, but that's probably the appropriate course of action. Either way, I need to respond today that I am NOT paying an additional $500 for work that should have been included as part of the original estimate and reiterate that I am willing to pay $X amount to be done with it. 

frustrated fuck my life GIF

• Angry on your Behalf 3