Home workout from scratch! Need advice pleaseeeee!

WildRae

Hey yall! I'm new to nerdfitness and I jus gotta say, this is amazing! 

Anyways... I just made myself an at home workout plan and I have no idea if it's any good or what I need to add/remove. ANY advice would be so helpful! 

Im doing resistance band and 5&10 pound dumbells for equipment. 

-4 workouts per week.

-Plank& yoga challenge everyday.

I have two different workouts and my plan is to alternate them. 

Circuit A:

Tricrp extension

Seated calf raises

Reverse crunch

Donkey kick

Chest fly 

Standing abduction

Kneeling crunch

Lying hamstring curl

Elevated glute bridge

Pull apart

Wall squat

Russian twists

Lying pullover

Lying hip abduction

Circuit B:

Glute kickbacks

Seated clam

Bicycle

Superman

Tricep dips

Pull-through

Lying windshield wipers

Bent over row

Bent over reverse fly

Sumo squat calf raise

Lying oblique crunch

Front/side raise

Fire hydrants

Bicep curl

Is that too many exercises?? Should I split it into 3 separate circuits?

Im planning to do repetition circuit and going to go off of my first workout to see where I am physically. 

Pleaseeeee if anyone has some advice I would so appreciate it. I can't wait to get this started and get back into shape. 

Hi Rae! I think it's awesome that you'd like to get back into regular physical activity, but probably not the best choice to create your own workout when you're first starting out. Unless you have a decent knowledge base and/or experience to draw from, it's easy to forget/miss some movements you should typically include.

For example, the complexes you've listed above have a lot of what I'd call 'auxiliary' movements, that might not be necessary (or the most efficient use of time/energy) for beginners. And other 'main movements' that I'd typically want to see included are missing. I'd go into more detail, but I've learned that sometimes too much information at the beginning can actually be a detriment to success (ie. collecting underpants by trying to design your own workout).

I'd suggest using an existing program like this: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/  which has the benefit of being a bit more straightforward to get you moving again, plus it doesn't require much/any equipment. Sometimes fewer movements is the best choice, so you can focus on rep quality and getting through the circuit without forgetting everything on the list!

I'd also suggest focusing on a couple other areas of your life, which will help you improve your overall health and fitness:

- try to get at least 7-8+ hrs of quality sleep a night

- manage your stress (yoga is a good strategy, but you can also try stuff like gratitude journaling, colour books, walking outside, etc.)

- ideally consume 0.7-1g of protein per lb of bodyweight every day

- aim for 5-8 veg/fruit servings a day

- make sure you're eating an appropriate amount of food for your goals (ie. probably close to your TDEE to start with, not hugely over/under)

Don't forget to go slow, be safe, and have fun with it! Welcome to the forum.

• Thanks 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

Yeah, that's a lot of exercises. If  you have time and energy, go for it. But, I think you might get burned out. I like Defining's idea of  doing something pre-porgrammed. 

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien