Have a Question? Want to Request a How-To? Use this thread!

Wondering about how something on the forums works?  Want to know how to do something? 

Ask below! 

I'm working on some more How-To's and FAQ's - so I'll answer them here, but also include them when I make more FAQ / How-To Threads :) 

• Like 1
I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
  • spezzy pinned this topic

I was curious - I see some people around the forums have stats in their signature (maybe based on D&D?). Are there any threads based on how to calculate and level-up stats (for those of us interested in tracking them)? Or any resources where I could learn more about it? I love the idea but I do not know how to get started with creating my own.

• Like 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice): Level 1

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 15 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

39 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

I was curious - I see some people around the forums have stats in their signature (maybe based on D&D?). Are there any threads based on how to calculate and level-up stats (for those of us interested in tracking them)? Or any resources where I could learn more about it? I love the idea but I do not know how to get started with creating my own.

Great question :) 

Working on a post with some ideas on how to implement this - but the shorter answer is that there's no official RPG system on the forums right now

Right now, if you see stat points and such in people's signatures (myself included), they are either from an older system we no longer officially use, or are from a system that the user has made up.

Mine personally is one that I made up and have been testing out, but it's not polished or an official system at all. Others are using systems they made up, which are similar to mine but fairly different :)

The older system that some people still use was something we created to go along with the challenges - where you'd create your character when you came in and allocate points to your goals in the challenges - but it ended up needing a lot of work to make it work right, and we didn't have the right technology to back it up and make it easy. Between that and with many people on the forums not being into RPGs, we shifted away from having them as an official part of the challenge. 

You may also see people talk about an Epic Quest, Levels, XP, and a character through that - which is something that came out when Steve's book came out in Jan of 2016, but is outdated and not really used anymore (https://www.nerdfitness.com/create-your-character/)

We've been talking about revisiting making an optional RPG system for those who want it - but it's still at those stages, where we're just talking about it :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
47 minutes ago, Tateman said:

Any place to see the challenge dates for 2021?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GO-Ro9Q8-gI70ACV9YdmRe5_lonv3SSBLbjzoH_tGRw/edit

2021 Challenge Dates

January 3 to February 6

February 14 to March 20

March 28 to May 1

May 9 to June 12

June 20 to July 24

August 1 to September 4

September 12 to October 16

October 24 to November 27

December 5-25 (2021 Holiday Challenge)

(Zero Week begins Dec 26)

• Thanks 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

2 hours ago, ExpectJade said:

I am wondering if there is an easy way to follow forum posts that i subscribe to.

Absolutely there is!  At the top righthand corner of every topic/thread there is a Follow button.  Click or tap it and you'll be greeted with a menu where you can configure your notification preferences accordingly.

You can also view all of the posts or topics you are following by viewing Activity > Unread Content.  Select Following and you'll see the options to view Content posted in the areas you follow, Content (topics) you follow, or Content by members you specifically follow.

Untitled.png

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

15 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Absolutely there is!  At the top righthand corner of every topic/thread there is a Follow button.  Click or tap it and you'll be greeted with a menu where you can configure your notification preferences accordingly.

You can also view all of the posts or topics you are following by viewing Activity > Unread Content.  Select Following and you'll see the options to view Content posted in the areas you follow, Content (topics) you follow, or Content by members you specifically follow.

That is so usefull! Thanks that worked well.

I tried to save it as a new stream but that doesnt seem to work. Is that just me or is that everyone?

Lvl 1: Adventurer with monk ambitions

Current weight: 123,3 KG.   Target weight: 85KG

2 hours ago, ExpectJade said:

That is so usefull! Thanks that worked well.

I tried to save it as a new stream but that doesnt seem to work. Is that just me or is that everyone?

Maybe just standby a moment.  We're at this very moment overhauling a few things software-side to roll out some new functionality on the forums and challenges for the New Year, so one or two things here and there might be acting goofy.  Keep your eyes peeled for some How-To topics popping up.  :) 

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

7 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Maybe just standby a moment.  We're at this very moment overhauling a few things software-side to roll out some new functionality on the forums and challenges for the New Year, so one or two things here and there might be acting goofy.  Keep your eyes peeled for some How-To topics popping up.  :) 

I am on stand by :)

Lvl 1: Adventurer with monk ambitions

Current weight: 123,3 KG.   Target weight: 85KG

Hi! I'm just wondering, with the new updates and all, how do I see who's following my profile? 

(I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. 😓)

“The world bursts at the seams with people ready to tell you you're not good enough. On occasion, some may be correct. But do not do their work for them. Seek any job; ask anyone out; pursue any goal. Don't take it personally when they say 'no' — they may not be smart enough to say 'yes.” - Keith Olbermann

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

What are you asking, do you want to see who visits the profile or follows your content?

Both actually. I used to be able to see both of those things (who visits my profile and who follows my profile); however, that feature is gone now. I was just wondering if those features were hidden (and I just don't know where they are) or are they completely taken away

“The world bursts at the seams with people ready to tell you you're not good enough. On occasion, some may be correct. But do not do their work for them. Seek any job; ask anyone out; pursue any goal. Don't take it personally when they say 'no' — they may not be smart enough to say 'yes.” - Keith Olbermann

I've got another question: how do I resize images in my threads? (How do  resize my mega large images to something smaller?)

Thanks regardless 👍💌

4 minutes ago, Amazon Ninja said:

I've got another question: how do I resize images in my threads? (How do  resize my mega large images to something smaller?)

Thanks regardless 👍💌

On a PC, Ctrl+Right Click on the image, on a Mac Cmd+Option+Shift click on the image.

On a phone, wish you were on a Mac or a PC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 minute ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

On a PC, Ctrl+Right Click on the image, on a Mac Cmd+Option+Shift click on the image.

THANK YOU TANKTIMUS!

1 minute ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

On a phone, wish you were on a Mac or a PC.

LOL! I'll do just that 🤣

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Treva said:

Hello!  Is there a way to delete old content attachments, like old photos we aren't using anymore?  If there is a guide for this I am happy to be redirected.  Thank you!

Can I ask first what the goal is here? Is it Specific attachments? All of them? Are you looking to delete content from old posts because you don't want it on the internet anymore? Or are you coming up to a storage limit or something like that?

We can definitely do it - but if I understand the goal, I can direct/help you in the easiest way :) 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, spezzy said:

Can I ask first what the goal is here? Is it Specific attachments? All of them? Are you looking to delete content from old posts because you don't want it on the internet anymore? Or are you coming up to a storage limit or something like that?

We can definitely do it - but if I understand the goal, I can direct/help you in the easiest way :) 

Thank you for getting back to me.  I am looking to delete old content from posts because I would like to avoid the storage limit.  I am not coming against it yet, but would like to know if there is an easy process for removing content.  

Thank you for taking the time to answer! :) 

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Breathe deep.  Seek peace.  Bring a sword.  ---Kishi

On 2/8/2021 at 3:39 PM, Treva said:

Thank you for getting back to me.  I am looking to delete old content from posts because I would like to avoid the storage limit.  I am not coming against it yet, but would like to know if there is an easy process for removing content.  

Thank you for taking the time to answer! :) 

Following up here as well -(I DM'ed Treva, but for everyone else who may be seeing this) -> 

If anyone is having a storage limit come up, please either post here or DM me. I've made these high enough where it shouldn't be an issue, but I've seen this come up from time to time and I've been searching through the forum software settings (which can be a bit clunky) to figure out that last spot I've missed! So it would be very helpful to see exactly where it's happening :) 

If you want to delete individual files, go to the upper right hand corner and click on your name, and select "My Attachments", and it will show all of them and you can choose which to delete. Admins can do a mass delete if you just want them all wiped, but those are the best two options all around there. That being said - you should not be hitting a storage limit, so let me know if you do :)

• Like 2

I have a question about streams. I have a couple of streams that I created and bookmarked, but I cannot figure out how I would find them if I hadn't bookmarked them. There's a link to Unread Content up by Mark Site Read, to some default streams (New and Unread Posts, Members I Follow, Content I Started), and one to create a new stream under Forum Activity, but no way to find those newly created streams again without bookmarks unless I'm missing something obvious.

1 hour ago, juliebarkley said:

I have a question about streams. I have a couple of streams that I created and bookmarked, but I cannot figure out how I would find them if I hadn't bookmarked them. There's a link to Unread Content up by Mark Site Read, to some default streams (New and Unread Posts, Members I Follow, Content I Started), and one to create a new stream under Forum Activity, but no way to find those newly created streams again without bookmarks unless I'm missing something obvious.

I added an option under "Forum Activity" at the top of the page. It's a dropdown labeled "My Activity Streams." Your custom streams will be at the bottom (there's a lot to scroll through).

Current Challenge

28 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I added an option under "Forum Activity" at the top of the page. It's a dropdown labeled "My Activity Streams." Your custom streams will be at the bottom (there's a lot to scroll through).

Perfect! Am I crazy, or did that exist at one point before but was removed? It looks familiar.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

Perfect! Am I crazy, or did that exist at one point before but was removed? It looks familiar.

There was something similar but it probably got turned off when the software updated last year.

Current Challenge