Forging My Legend: Fitness and Philosophy for the Modern Adventurer

FORGING MY LEGEND

Fitness and Philosophy for the Modern Adventurer

Adventure.  Fitness.  Survivalism.  Philosophy.  Technology.

66772a5c75e2d3ae0b9761ae0c27ab8d.jpg

Here shall be my Battle Log, with commentary on my fitness endeavors, adventures, and occasional musings.

• Like 4

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

2k21 Outlook

"It is a disgrace to grow old through sheer carelessness before seeing what manner of man you may become

by developing your bodily strength and beauty to their highest limit." – Socrates.

Remember My NUTS (Non-negotiable, Unalterable Terms)

1. I am active: I prioritize exercise and wellness; I am on a Jedi quest to see what my body is capable of - but most importantly living pain free.
  2. I am present: I live in the moment and focus on my reactions to stimuli - but most importantly treat myself with compassion.
  3. I am free:  I will live within my means, have an emergency fund, and take on no job or task that confines me - but most importantly focus on the things which bring me joy.

Mindfulness

1. Nutrition: Slow down, use chopsticks, find joy in cooking and meal prep.
  2. Exercise:  My quest should be an ode to the human body's ability to move. Jedi approach to fitness, "What Would the Warhawk do?" Agility is fun. 
  3. Minimalism:  Clean as I leave rooms. Remove clutter.  Keep up on chores.  Always check cat litter.

Power Word for 2021:  Grit Prowess

This word encapsulates my intention for the new year.  I haven't picked a focus word before so this will be a grand experiment, but I know what I need for the new year is the consistency to improve, the tenacity to stick to my plans, and the foresight to keep my mind on my goals.  While 'Grit' encompasses the hard work it will take to achieve instead of dream, to do the workout when I'm tired and don't want to, and to ignore that hunger pain at midnight instead of indulging, the word itself doesn't speak to me like Prowess does.  If Grit is strength, fortitude (and not just stamina), self-awareness but also self-compassion, plus a willingness to fail and pick myself right back up afterward, Prowess is all of these things plus the discipline to do them well, with mastery and finesse.  After all, style points matter!  That's Metal

MAKING OF A MODERN LEGEND: BECOMING THE WARHAWK!
Current:  BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13 | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13
I am currently training as a Blademaster Neophyte on a quest toward mastery through balance.

Goal:  BRUTALITY 16 | FINESSE 17+ | GRIT 17 | INSIGHT 18+ | MOXIE 15
 A venerable master of the battlefield, I have become a Blademaster Warlord.

Blademaster Neophyte - Accepted for tutelage under a veteran Blademaster, Neophytes demonstrate exceptional discipline, intelligence, and the minimum agility and finesse required to embark upon the rigorous journey that is Blademaster training.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13 | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Blademaster Scarblade - Taking the step from apprenticeship to life as a wandering swordsman and member of a Brotherhood, a Scarblade is dexterous and capable, artistic and gifted intellectually, while displaying the strength and constitution expected of a battlefield scout and duelist.

BRUTALITY 14 | FINESSE 14 | GRIT 14 | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Blademaster Khan -  Now capable of leading other Blademasters and training aspirants, Khans are masters of their own Brotherhoods by now, demonstrating extraordinary dexterity, sublime intellect and wisdom, as well as prodigal levels of fortitude, hardiness, and charisma near the pinnacle of self-mastery.

BRUTALITY 15 | FINESSE 16 | GRIT 16 | INSIGHT 16 | MOXIE 15

Blademaster Warlord  - A venerable grandmaster above his peers, the indomitable Warlord moves like the wind itself and exhibits all of the artistic mastery expected from a lifetime as a Blademaster and warchief of numerous hordes.

BRUTALITY 16 | FINESSE 17+ | GRIT 17 | INSIGHT 18+ | MOXIE 16 

Way of the Blade: The System™
Max 20, based on current metrics and potential future goals.

Brutality (STR) - Gymnastics & Kettlebells
STR 13:  5 ring pull-ups/dips, 5+ wall walks, 5 unbroken 50lbs TGU, 8 hangboard pull-ups
STR 14:  1 ring muscle-up, 0:10 handstand, 15x TGU, 20 hangboard pull-ups
STR 15: 4+ muscle-up, 0:25 handstand, 10 unbroken 70lbs TGU,  30 pull-ups
STR 16:  7 muscle-ups, 0:40 handstand, 5x 80lbs TGU, 40 hangboard pull-ups, 4:00 plank
STR 17:  10 muscle-ups, handstand walking, 60+ push-ups, 90lb+ TGU, 50 pull-ups

Finesse (DEX) - Flexibility, Agility, Balance, & Coordination 
DEX 13: Hold Warrior III, hands-to-floor Forward Fold, some Muay Thai
DEX 14: Front and side splits, Crow pose, consistent Yoga practice, 1yr Muay Thai
DEX 15: Handstand splits, Crane pose, 1yr Yoga, 2yr Muay Thai or other
DEX: 16: Flying crow/adv poses, Yoga certification, 3yr Muay Thai
DEX 17: Muay Thai fight/black belt in other/coaching

Grit (CON) - Stamina & Endurance
CON 13:  sub-30:00 5k, 25% BF/215lbs, 1:00 50lbs KBS, 1:00 plank
CON 14:  Continuous 5k, 20% BF/205lbs, 2:00 50lbs KBS, 2:00 plank
CON 15:  sub-25:00 5k, 15% BF/190lbs, 1:00 70lbs KBS, 3:00 plank
CON 16:  22:00 5k, continuous 10k, 10% BF/185lbs, 2:00 70lbs KBS 4:00 plank
CON 17:  sub-20 5k, 45:00 10k,>8% BF/180lbs, 2:00 80lbs KBS, 5:00 plank

Insight (INT/WIS) - Continuous learning
INT 15:  Some language skills, above average understanding of nutrition, ~20 books/year
INT 16:  Read/converse in French/Spanish, Personal Training/nutrition certification, 20 books/year
INT 17: Learn new language, upgrade degree/diploma program, 40 books/year
INT 18: Complete advanced degree/diploma, speak/read two languages, 50+ books/year

Moxie(CHA) - Leadership, Social, Career
CHA:  13:  Occasional socializing, past supervisory and training skills, some boundaries.
CHA 14:  Regular social activity, entry supervisory or training role, boundaries and demands
CHA 15:  Weekly social responsibilities, career involving people/crowds/clients, negotiate salary
CHA 16:  Manage social media account/company/group

1.  Further Character-driven attributes
    1.  Aesthetics/body composition: currently Leather Armor.  Upgrade to Studded Leather @ 200lbs, Dragonhide @ 190lbs, Ancient Leather at 'ripped beyond measure'
      1.  More Prince of Persia, less Thor (goals: https://www.instagram.com/the_quiet_conqueror/?hl=en)
    2.  More authentic
      1.   Sewing machine/tailoring
      2.  Learn an instrument (flute?)
      3.  Grow out my hair (locks & dye?)
      4.  Finish left sleeve
    3.  Martial skills:  currently common Dao sword.  Upgrade to rare quality at 1yr experience, epic at 2, legendary White Tiger Dao at 3.
      1.  Return to Muay Thai classes ASAP 
      2.  Swordplay practice (PVC)
      3.  Spear throwing (Spartan)
      4.  Archery
    4.  More adventurous
      1.  Major/more hiking trip(s)
      2.  Bouldering excursion
      3.  Go hawking
      4.  Horseback riding

Who is the Warhawk?

Strong but dexterous.  Enduring and free.  Open skies and adventure.  Outdoors (hiking and horseback and archery).  Tough but wise.  Selfish but greater good.

I want my real life skills and abilities to reflect those of the idealized character.  The Warhawk is primarch Jaghatai Khan of Warhammer 40k, whose book I am currently reading, and is deeply inspirational to me.  Similarly the Samuro the Blademaster from Heroes of the Storm and Warcraft, shares very similar traits and skills, are serving as my character theme going forward. My intention is to take realistically-attainable in-character skills and then connect the dots to build up my personal abilities.  For example, the Warhawk would display weapons mastery, the Jack-of-all-Trades strength/endurance of a Ranger, plus a similar affinity for the natural world.   To better embody that trope, I need to continue building from my foundation through those fields.  My strength and endurance require more kettlebell tricks, running or skipping, hiking, and gymnastics/climbing.  I have better than passing familiarity with nature and survival skills through my Scouting and military backgrounds, while weapons mastery can be introduced through equipment and YouTube tutorials.  If Arya can do it, so can I.

Five years of Nerd Fitness and exercise without meeting my body composition goal is unacceptable.  My aesthetics goals have only slightly changed over the years from a thicker CrossFit-aligned physique to the more svelte, assassin-like build I want to build for climbing and gymnastics now.  The Warhawk is both strong and agile, but more agile than strong, whereas I am still the opposite.  My RL attribute points might look like 15 STR and 17 DEX, where 200lbs is the current body comp goal, but 185-190 should be the long-term plan here.  More Michel Huisman (Daario Naharis) than Chris Hemsworth (even if he's deadly inspo).

49c75494ccdd6ea3553753900173e46f.jpg

I already have all the muscle I need now, it's simply a matter of shredding down and refining those bulky slabs to steel cable throughout.  More nutritional compliance, more conditioning exercise.  Abs aren't unattainable for any 34 year old.  So 2021, do you worst - for I shall do mine.  Your predecessor tried it's hardest and could not conquer me, nor shall you.  I shall fumble not - for I stand on the precipice of oblivion, straddling the safe shore of mediocrity and staring down the difficult journey to greatness.

But I also cannot afford to neglect my mind, hence Mystic.  The Khan is enlightened and seeks understanding.  He is the epitome of the noble savage, the enlightened barbarian.  Others see him and judge based on their preconceived notions of what a Mongol warrior must look like to the minds of the 40th millennium, but he understands the galaxy better than they could ever imagine.  Similarly I often read, though primarily for entertainment.  I would consider myself well above average in comprehension and understanding, but Wisdom isn't an attribute point anyone should overlook.  So, in keeping with the Khan's expanded mind, I will focus on expanding my own through learning while I read, rather than for simple entertainment.

Where are all the Modern Mardu decks? - Wizard Tower BlogWizard Tower Blog

‘I do not doubt your visions,’ the Khan said, quietly. ‘But what do they change? Shall we stare up at the shadows and let our blades fall from our hands?'

Know this, son of Magnus. There is more under the arch of heaven than victory and defeat. We may fall back, but not forever. We may feint and we may weave, but not forever. We may yet be doomed to lose all we cherish, but we shall do so in the knowledge that we could have turned away, and did not.

We remained true,’ the Khan said. ‘They can never have this, not if they burn all we ever built and scorn us through the dancing flames.

You hear me? We remained true.’  ~ Jaghatai Khan, Path of Heaven.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 2

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

2020 Dec Holiday Challenge Summary & Year in Review

• Rurik Harrgath changed the title to Forging My Legend: Fitness and Philosophy for the Modern Adventurer