The Playground: General Chat

Anim07734

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Happy New Year everyone!

Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN

Very fittingly, I bought this as a badge to reward myself for surviving 2020. 

image.png.1d06a8dcd6af235178a26652d48ab76e.png

1 hour ago, Yasha92 said:

I have a Discord account in another name, but it recognises that I followed through from the link here, and displays my NF user and icon, instead of my gamer one ^_^

Interesting, mine is linked to my Discord account but has set my username for the NF server to my username here, but I keep the display picture set to my Discord account.

• Like 3

Level 1 Adventurer

Quest for Adventure

Took the road less traveled. Now lost.

36 minutes ago, pureleeawesome said:

Very fittingly, I bought this as a badge to reward myself for surviving 2020. 

image.png.1d06a8dcd6af235178a26652d48ab76e.png

Interesting, mine is linked to my Discord account but has set my username for the NF server to my username here, but I keep the display picture set to my Discord account.

1. I love that badge.

2. You right, you right, keeps the discord display photo

• Like 1
3 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Display to people in the room, no issue at all. This was logs being published out to some random web page archive. (Unlikely for Discord, but just asking, since I have no Discord experience.)

Only people in the server can see the logs. And it’s a private NF server, so only people who are already forum members have access.

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

I'm going to be there for NYE! I'm on call and I've got a bottle of Champaign and Tequila waiting for me then!

• Like 4

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Looks at Captain and grins. She then pulls out a couple of rockets and attaches them to the seat of her swing. A moment later she is spinning around and around and around on the swing set, shouting with glee! Then... a snag. The chain wrapped around the swing set bar brings her seat closer and closer to the top. Once she runs out of chain, she is pinned to the bar, the rockets still going until they run out of fuel. Clearly, she did not think this through... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Heroine of Time

Height: 5'8  Weight: 315lbs

Current Challenge: RhiaWolfe Follows the Way of the Samurai

Previous Challenges: 1234567891011121314151617181920212223

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

"Hyaaaat! Jeeyat-Hiyaaaah Hiet! Hyaaaaaaa Hiyyyyet! Hiyaaaaat Hiyaaaa!" - Link

Fitbit Profile * Good Reads

1 hour ago, RhiaWolfe said:

Looks at Captain and grins. She then pulls out a couple of rockets and attaches them to the seat of her swing. A moment later she is spinning around and around and around on the swing set, shouting with glee! Then... a snag. The chain wrapped around the swing set bar brings her seat closer and closer to the top. Once she runs out of chain, she is pinned to the bar, the rockets still going until they run out of fuel. Clearly, she did not think this through... 

Careful inspection of the rockets reveals an ACME logo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

19 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Oh, cool, it uses our NF accounts, so no new accounts? Can I, uh, borrow it for a little Hogswatch celebration? That's very like NYE...

🍻 but with hot cocoa!

Athena wakes up from a nap, and suddenly the tavern has become a Playground! Carrying on what she was doing in what she thought was a dream, she visits all the play things once or twice until she gets dizzy. Then she grabs her pocket book out of her back pack, finds the cozy nook and sits down to read. She takes a bite from her advocaat liquor & whipped cream dessert and sucks on the spoon while getting lost in the story. 

• Like 4

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

Random movie remake:

The Matrix, but only Joe Pantoliano is real.

Everyone else is a Muppet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

&,
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger Year 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 |

Local Foods Guru | Financial Freedom Fighter | Minimalism Yoda | Smaug-Slayer
Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

I know we have some people in covid recovery and that access to official covid diagnosis/treatment is uneven, so I wanted to drop this somewhere. I'm seeing a lot of chatter that people's doctors are advising them to refrain from strenuous/any exercise for at least three months after recovery, due to the risks from inflammation of the lungs and heart. So please be gentle on yourselves when you make your fitness plans, guys. I know a lot of people want to power through respiratory illnesses and get back to training, but covid is new territory. It has a long recovery process, and there's good reason to take it very slow.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

10 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I know we have some people in covid recovery and that access to official covid diagnosis/treatment is uneven, so I wanted to drop this somewhere. I'm seeing a lot of chatter that people's doctors are advising them to refrain from strenuous/any exercise for at least three months after recovery, due to the risks from inflammation of the lungs and heart. So please be gentle on yourselves when you make your fitness plans, guys. I know a lot of people want to power through respiratory illnesses and get back to training, but covid is new territory. It has a long recovery process, and there's good reason to take it very slow.

I had not heard that. Good info to know. Thankfully I have not contracted COVID, but it is good information to know just in case, or to pass along to friends and family. Thanks!

• Like 2

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice)

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 11 || INT 15 || WIS 16 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

56 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

I had not heard that. Good info to know. Thankfully I have not contracted COVID, but it is good information to know just in case, or to pass along to friends and family. Thanks!

I think no one fully knows what to expect yet, and there's not a great coordinated effort to get info out. This is what I'd have guesstimated from hearing some of the hidden systemic damage they've been discovering in recovered patients. I was telling Sloth last challenge that I'd plan on a year to fully get back to normal training, starting with several very easy months just to work on lung capacity, mobility, and gentle stamina.

sesame street frown GIF

(Actual footage of me telling Sloth that.)

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

54 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I think no one fully knows what to expect yet, and there's not a great coordinated effort to get info out. This is what I'd have guesstimated from hearing some of the hidden systemic damage they've been discovering in recovered patients. I was telling Sloth last challenge that I'd plan on a year to fully get back to normal training, starting with several very easy months just to work on lung capacity, mobility, and gentle stamina.

sesame street frown GIF

(Actual footage of me telling Sloth that.)

That definitely makes sense. I remember getting a bad flu and a respitory infection when I was maybe 13 or 14 and it took months for my voice and lungs to fully recover, and I was a pretty healthy kid. From what I have heard of COVID, it is easy for me to imagine it taking that long and then some, so I could definitely see it taking months or even up to a year to get back up to full capacity, especially for people who have a bad case.

• Like 4

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice)

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 11 || INT 15 || WIS 16 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

I just wanted to say I am so flabbergasted by the number of people here with thousands of posts who have been around for several years. It's kind of neat the forum has such a rich long history and some people have been around for the long haul.

• Like 10
3 hours ago, Adash5000 said:

I just wanted to say I am so flabbergasted by the number of people here with thousands of posts who have been around for several years. It's kind of neat the forum has such a rich long history and some people have been around for the long haul.

You posting this reminded me it's my 7 year nerdaversary today...

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 7

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - cute is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

2 hours ago, RES said:

Happy Nerdaversary!! 7 years... wow. 

*wanders off to check how many years it's been since I joined*

• Like 4

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

3 hours ago, RES said:

Hooray! Happy Nerdaversary!

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

I joined 5.5 years ago. But it’s been an on and off kind of thing. But hey, I keep coming back!

At least you're consistent in coming back 😄

• Like 6

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

15 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

I joined 5.5 years ago. But it’s been an on and off kind of thing. But hey, I keep coming back!

Coming back is the most important step.

• Like 4

For anyone wondering, you can see a member's join date on desktop by hovering over their username. A popup window will show their join date.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

2 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

For anyone wondering, you can see a member's join date on desktop by hovering over their username. A popup window will show their join date.

On mobile, click on their username and it’ll take you to their profile, and you can see it there.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

19 hours ago, Aquarii said:

That definitely makes sense. I remember getting a bad flu and a respitory infection when I was maybe 13 or 14 and it took months for my voice and lungs to fully recover, and I was a pretty healthy kid. From what I have heard of COVID, it is easy for me to imagine it taking that long and then some, so I could definitely see it taking months or even up to a year to get back up to full capacity, especially for people who have a bad case.

That's definitely the analogy, even for a lot of relatively mild covid cases. They're also finding a huge variety of damage all through the vascular system afterwards. Damage to the lungs, obviously, but also the heart, the eyes, the brain. Some reversible, but not always. Elevated risk of strokes and heart attack, increased onset of unusual mental illnesses in abnormal demographics. I heard one report of a woman who fully recovered, and a month after her recovery couldn't walk. (And recovered from that, but, wow.) Weird things happening to periods seems pretty common from the stress of it, like totally going away for eight months, but also higher rates of miscarriage than expected.

So it's hard on the lungs, for certain, but there's a lot of potential for body weirdness after recovery, and potentially a lot that needs repair that isn't visible to us, the way that pulmonary and cardiovascular fitness is. You just don't know how you rolled the dice, and we probably don't even know all the possibilities yet. That's why I'd be focusing on recovery for a year. There's no way of knowing for sure what's been damaged and what's being repaired, other than occasionally finding out the hard way. I'd treat it all like ongoing injury healing, even when things seem basically back to normal: high focus on nutrition, rest, and physical rehabilitation.

grumpy sesame street GIF

• Like 8

Wowsers, that makes me want to be even more cautious not to catch it, so much we just don’t know :o (not at all a slight on those who have caught it, more a consideration that I have not been A++ in my behaviour consistently)

sending love and healing thoughts to any and all Rebels who may be working through this healing process ❤️

Sick Get Well Soon GIF by Hallmark Gold Crown

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Yasha92 said:

Wowsers, that makes me want to be even more cautious not to catch it, so much we just don’t know :o (not at all a slight on those who have caught it, more a consideration that I have not been A++ in my behaviour consistently)

sending love and healing thoughts to any and all Rebels who may be working through this healing process ❤️

Sick Get Well Soon GIF by Hallmark Gold Crown

I definitely do not want to scare those who have or have had it! I think most people who get covid will be basically fine. It doesn't overly worry me in terms of my personal risk, and it doesn't overly worry me about the individual risk to anyone here who had, has, or will have it. It sucks, it'll get better. It's more an "arm yourself with information" thing.

My feeling about covid risk, both pre and post, is that you're playing a game of improving your odds at every turn, and that takes some information about risk and how to reduce it. Not every throw will turn out in your favor, so you do what you can at whatever stage you are at to load the dice - and at the same time, an unlucky throw does not reduce the opportunities to do something to improve the outcome. So if I have an unlucky infection throw, there's the information I need to monitor and treat side effects, and walk away as unscathed as I can.

• Like 6

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines