Gymnastics Rings, Level 1

Hazard

Intro:   Hazard is presently a 43 years-old,  5'9" and 214 lbs male.  (That's 174 cm and 97 kg for you metric folk).

Epic Quest:  Conquer the muscleup on Gymnastics Rings

like a boss wow GIF by Aardman Animations

Current Quests to Get Me There:  My goals for this NF Challenge are improvement on...

• Basic Support Hold on Rings
  • Deadhang on Rings

Testing:  My starting numbers are...

• Rings Support Hold:  3 seconds
  • Rings Deadhang:  26 seconds

The Goals:  Any amount of improvement is acceptable.  Being better next month than I am this month is success.  That being said, I'm expecting to break 1 minute on the ring deadhangs fairly quickly and move up the skilltree to training full flexed hangs during this challenge.    My basic support holds, on the other hand, are starting at a very low time and need a lot of improvement to reach 1 minute, so I'm expecting to be training basic support holds throughout this entire challenge, while hoping they reach a minute by this challenge's end.

The Strategy:  I have an already well-established personalized fitness routine using an 8-day split rotation.   I'm going to try training the Rings Basic Support Hold and the Rings Deadhang  each 2 times per my 8-day training "week".   Or roughly 10 times each during this NF Challenge period.

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

This reads like a masterclass in how to construct SMART goals.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Nice challenge.  I am tempted to break out my rings again too

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

27 December 2020

This post will be replies first, then challenge updates.   Testing to see if I like this style of squishing them all into one post.   What do you think?  Do you all like seeing replies and challenge updates together in one post like this?  Or do you like seeing replies and challenge updates posted separately?

On 12/21/2020 at 6:54 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

This reads like a masterclass in how to construct SMART goals.

its-what-i-do-baby-its-what-i-do.jpg

On 12/22/2020 at 10:18 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Nice challenge.  I am tempted to break out my rings again too

Thanks.   Anything in particular you'd like to accomplish on rings?

------------------

And so we begin. 

Although my challenge questing is specifically focused on gymnastics rings progression, I got in the habit on my 2020 battle log of posting my regular workouts, and I'm going to keep doing that here.  Why?  Because exercise is holistic.  The exercises we do (and how we do them) influence each other, so I think it'll be important to see my Rings work in context with my other exercises. 

With that said, here was this date's workout:

RdIowDI.png

Quest Progress:   As a reminder, my starting time for Ring Deadhangs (tested a week ago) was 26 seconds.   That's the base AMSAP (an acronym that stands for As Many Seconds As Possible) that I'm building up from.   And as you should be able to see in the gif above, in today's workout I was able to hit 31 seconds on the AMSAP set (the 3rd set).   So we've already gotten +5 seconds of improvement a week later.  Yay!

• Like 2

I Stand With Gina Carano

As far as replies before update, it's what I do, so I'm inherently biased in favor of what you are doing.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

16 minutes ago, Hazard said:

What do you think?

What you are doing is almost identical to the way I do it

17 minutes ago, Hazard said:

Anything in particular you'd like to accomplish on rings?

I would like to get an Iron Cross, but it is not something I am going to be getting anytime soon.

• Like 1

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Very nice! I can't wait to see you conquer this! 

👍🏽😁

• Like 1

“The world bursts at the seams with people ready to tell you you're not good enough. On occasion, some may be correct. But do not do their work for them. Seek any job; ask anyone out; pursue any goal. Don't take it personally when they say 'no' — they may not be smart enough to say 'yes.” - Keith Olbermann

29 December 2020

Replies first, then update.

On 12/27/2020 at 10:54 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

As far as replies before update, it's what I do, so I'm inherently biased in favor of what you are doing.

On 12/27/2020 at 11:05 PM, WhiteGhost said:

What you are doing is almost identical to the way I do it

I knew you two would like it, since I got the format from your popular challenge threads.

On 12/27/2020 at 11:05 PM, WhiteGhost said:

I would like to get an Iron Cross, but it is not something I am going to be getting anytime soon.

Steven Low, a gymnast who authored Overcoming Gravity (which used to be one of the go-to resources we talked about in the NF bodyweight circles years ago) has said he'd expect someone who can do around 10 good pullups and weighed under 150 lbs to be able to train an Iron Cross in somewhere between 1-3 years as a recreational gymnastics hobbyist, depending on how much time they can dedicate to the training. 

I'm nowhere near under 150 lbs. :lol:.   I imagine it'd take me quite a bit longer.

On 12/27/2020 at 11:16 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I prefer replies and updates separated, but you do you brother.  

Hey Sloth.  Glad to see you're up and around again.   

Thanks for being on board with either way.   I think I prefer seeing replies and updates separate on people's threads too, but the most popular challenge threads these days have them combined, so I'll give it a few weeks and see if it grows on me.

On 12/28/2020 at 2:48 PM, Amazon Ninja said:

Very nice! I can't wait to see you conquer this! 

👍🏽😁

Thankyou for following me over here from my battle log!  I'm glad you've stuck around and I look forward to getting to know you better.

------------------

I only got 3 hours sleep last night, but the show must go on.   The workout went well regardless of sleep deprivation.  Caffeine helped.   So did keeping the elliptical warmup short.

nfPKC7c.png

Quest Progress:   My Rings Support Hold tested at 3 seconds a week ago, but I was able to do 6 seconds across on three sets today.  That's a nice little improvement to kick things off.  I did make a minor change to the setup that may have influenced it for the better though.  I lowered the rings on the straps just a touch more, about a half-inch, to ensure I could start each hold with already properly "straight" arms.  I can deal with pushing into position later after I've built up some strength on the hold first.

• Like 4

I Stand With Gina Carano

Following because I can't resist the call of a ring muscle up goal. Haven't seen many people over 95kg get one, it makes it extra exciting :)

Support hold = the top position hold the sheep is doing? 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

30 December 2020

23 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Following because I can't resist the call of a ring muscle up goal. Haven't seen many people over 95kg get one, it makes it extra exciting :)

Support hold = the top position hold the sheep is doing?

The gif in the first post is Shaun the Sheep doing an Iron Cross.   Shaun's one of the shows my 4yo likes that I've become familiar with over the last couple of years. :lol:.   A basic support hold is where a person has their arms straight down gripping the rings or parallel bars --- the top position of a standard dip.

2 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Interesting note about the iron cross, I thought it would take a lot longer. It just looks sooo difficult

Are you doing the support hold with the rings turned out?

Everybody I've seen do the Iron Cross is strong.   But in the world of scored gymnastics, where an A-Level skill is the "easiest" up through E-Level skills being the "hardest", the Iron Cross is rated a B-Level skill.

RTO's the next progression.  I want to be able to hold a reasonably steady neutral grip before turning the rings.

------------------

Getting a full night's sleep certainly made a difference for how long I'm willing to stay on the elliptical. 

XRB325a.png

Quest Progress:   No Rings training on my deadlift/grip workout day.  Strengthening my grip already has direct carryover to holding onto anything, including rings.  

As an aside:  While doing the dumbbell head holds I remembered that I'd previously thought a few years back about getting a fingerboard, like climbers train on.   I scribbled myself a little note in my gym as a reminder.  I live in a different home than I did when I'd first thought about getting a fingerboard, and will need to think about where and how to mount it in my current home if I did get one.  The most obvious mounting spot is, unfortunately, also the spot that I stick my doorway pullup bar and I think the fingerboard would get in the way of that.  Have any of you used a fingerboard?  Is there a particular brand & model you like?

• Like 3

I Stand With Gina Carano

29 minutes ago, Hazard said:

The gif in the first post is Shaun the Sheep doing an Iron Cross.   Shaun's one of the shows my 4yo likes that I've become familiar with over the last couple of years. :lol:.   A basic support hold is where a person has their arms straight down gripping the rings or parallel bars --- the top position of a standard dip.

Ah I didn't look properly, I honestly thought Shaun was doing a standard top position hold (and just wanted to check that that's what you meant by support hold). My 4yo also likes Shaun, laughing out loud and everything :) 

35 minutes ago, Hazard said:

Have any of you used a fingerboard?  Is there a particular brand & model you like?

We have the beast maker 2000, it's nice. 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Rings are so fun. Looking forward to seeing you master yours.

• Like 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38 

31 December 2020

20 hours ago, KB Girl said:

We have the beast maker 2000, it's nice. 

Thanks.  Looks like it'd be $92 for me with shipping cost.  Seems steep, but a quick search showed me most fullsized hangboards are around that same pricepoint, so I guess that's the market for them.

15 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Rings are so fun. Looking forward to seeing you master yours.

lord of the rings ring GIF

------------------

My water heater blew a pinprick sized hole in it's thermal expansion tank yesterday, and soaked a good bit of the carpet in my gym before we discovered it in the evening.  That wasn't particularly fun.  Thankfully stores are open today, so we were able to get a replacement we can install.

If you'd like a brief primer on why water heaters have thermal expansion tanks and pressure relief valves, enjoy this 3-minute clip from Mythbusters:

Here was today's workout.  It may not look like much, but this fries my biceps.

unjvaYw.png

Quest Progress:   My deadhang AMSAP set from four days ago was 31 seconds.  So today's makes a for +3 seconds improvement over last time.

• Like 4

I Stand With Gina Carano

Following as I am going to have a smaller rings component to my challenge which I am about to write up. Great goals. I'm excited to see how it works out for you.

• Like 1

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

It was worth checking your thread just for that WH explosion. Well done on the 3 second improvement.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hazard said:

enjoy this 3-minute clip from Mythbusters

Why have I never done a Mythbusters challenge? This seems like an oversight.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

2 January 2021

On 12/31/2020 at 4:48 PM, GoodDoug said:

Following as I am going to have a smaller rings component to my challenge which I am about to write up. Great goals. I'm excited to see how it works out for you.

Welcome aboard.  I've seen several other challenges posted over the last few days with rings mentioned in them.  It'll be fun to learn from each other's training. 🤙

On 12/31/2020 at 9:33 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Well done on the 3 second improvement.

Thanks.  Little by little. 

On 12/31/2020 at 9:43 PM, sarakingdom said:

Why have I never done a Mythbusters challenge? This seems like an oversight.

👋.  Since Mythbusters likes breaking things, that does seem like a good theme for a martial artist.  🦵🤜

------------------

We fixed our busted water heater that went sprrrrrzzzzzt in the gym.   And the gym's pretty much dry now.  The water heater hasn't exploded on us (yet) and launched into space, so it looks like we got the pressure settings right.  

o8ttFPh.png

Quest Progress:   This was a nice day for Rings Support Hold.   I chose to train them using my most common training method for most things -- a couple of "prep" sets that are intentionally stopped early, followed by one "challenge" set roughly to fatigue.  My AMSAP four days ago was 6 seconds, whereas I was able to keep the Support Hold today for 13 seconds.  A very nice +7 seconds improvement, more than doubling what I was able to do last time.  Because Level 1.  😅.   Noob gainz are always fun.

• Like 2

I Stand With Gina Carano

3 hours ago, Hazard said:

👋.  Since Mythbusters likes breaking things, that does seem like a good theme for a martial artist.  🦵🤜

It is never, ever,  a bad time for a giant explosion. And, uh, breaking things. For science.

explosion GIF

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

It is never, ever,  a bad time for a giant explosion. And, uh, breaking things. For science.

Remember kids, writing things down is the only difference between science and screwing around.

• Like 2

3 January 2021

After finishing season 2 of The Mandalorian, I discovered season 3 of Cobra Kai is out.  I'm a happy camper.

kJcnSdl.png

Quest Progress:   Nada.   No rings training scheduled on my squat days.

• Like 2

I Stand With Gina Carano

4 January 2021

@WhiteGhost has been talking so much about Skyrim lately, it finally got to me and I re-installed the game today.  I played it previously something like 6-7 years ago, and found the game lacking enough in some ways to make it boring, but I liked the skill-use progression system and thought Skyrim had the bones of a great game.   And, thankfully, it does!   I discovered people have put out thoouuuuusands of mods for the game to pick and choose from for improving it.   So I'm giving it another go.

But before I sat down to reinstall the game and find some mods for it, I of course had a workout to do:

FiTYSNM.png

Quest Progress:   I gained +32 seconds on my Rings deadhang over what I could do four days ago.  Moreover, I totaled 1 minute 6 seconds on that challenge set.  Which means I've beaten my deadhang goal...

On 12/21/2020 at 4:22 PM, Hazard said:

I'm expecting to break 1 minute on the ring deadhangs fairly quickly and move up the skilltree to training full flexed hangs during this challenge.

I wasn't anticipating to go from a 26-seconds start up to breaking 1-minute on only the third deadhang workout.  That's a little quicker than I was actually expecting.  But hey, sometimes in we roll a Crit.  

Happy Nerd GIF by AsmodeeGames

• Like 3

I Stand With Gina Carano

4 hours ago, Hazard said:

thoouuuuusands of mods

The on that revises the skill perk trees pretty much changes it into a completely different game.  If you had to choose only 1, that would be my suggestion

4 hours ago, Hazard said:

I gained +32 seconds on my Rings deadhang over what I could do four days ago

Noob gainz FTW

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines