Question for Daily Battle Log Users

Hello, Rebels! I started a Daily Battle Log a few months ago but after I got back into the 5 week challenges it felt like I was posting the same thing in both threads, which seemed unnecessary. So my Battle Log has gone dormant even though I continue to make fairly steady progress on my goals. 

I'd like to resurrect it for 2021 because I like the idea of having one thread that encompasses my progress for the year, but I'm also excited about the challenges and it still seems like there's going to be a lot of duplicate posts. So for those of you who maintain a Daily Battle Log and participate in challenges, how do you balance it? Just looking for ideas as I plan out my goals and the best way to track them next year.

Thanks for any suggestions!

• Like 5

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

Hello, hello :) I haven't seen anyone else do this (though maybe I haven't looked well enough) but what I do is post my goals for the year/6 months/longer term in my Battle log, and keep a sort of 'index' of my challenges by posting the links in there, and sometimes I'll write what is going well or isn't. Or after maybe 3-4 challenges, post my thoughts on what is generally going well if I'm on a streak, or so. And also, if I'm not going to do a challenge, I'll log things in there. 

While I really, really like the idea of having a consistent and structured way to do things, I sort of let go of that because I spend too much time planning-instead-of-doing as is :) But maybe what I wrote sparks an idea for how you would like to use them.

• Like 4

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

3 hours ago, Aθena said:

While I really, really like the idea of having a consistent and structured way to do things, I sort of let go of that because I spend too much time planning-instead-of-doing as is :) But maybe what I wrote sparks an idea for how you would like to use them.

Yeah, I do better with a structure, but sometimes I get too fixated on it and instead of letting it adapt, I end up abandoning the whole thing if things don't go exactly according to plan.

I like the idea of indexing my challenges though, and maybe doing a little debriefing on them. Thanks for the ideas!

• Like 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

Hi there!

Aθena's way of doing it would be my optimal way to do it. At the start, I had decided that letting people stumble upon my posts without giving them a track to follow was a good idea but I'm slowly reassessing this position. I haven't yet gotten around changing the way I'm doing that, though.

I (used to) use the battle log for consistent goals and random bits of my life/venting, while the challenges were more temporary daily goals performed during the challenges. Somewhere along the line, I almost dropped the battle log but that remains the hang of it so, yearly goals in the battle log, progress on those goals and random stuff in the battle log, challenge goals in the challenge threads. I'm using the battle log for what I may want to come back to and review later on, because it's a tad easier than searching my challenges to find the right one.

• Like 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

Although I've refreshed and rebooted it for 2021, in the past my Battle Log was reserved for annual goals (always edited into the second post) and an archive for various articles and musings I wrote for my challenges but wanted to hang onto.  For next year, I've 'stickied' my goals again, will include a post for Challenge end summary/wrap-up, and probably a spot for any poignant writing again - especially if I do narratives for any of my challenges again, I can hide those behind a spoiler insert and link to my Battle Log post from my Challenge so no one is forced to scroll past the story if they aren't interested.

I'm really loving the Battle Log below the avatar feature!

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

I started off with just a battle log and when I made the decision to participate in challenges I felt the same thing at first and it felt repetitive to type in both.

But eventually the battle log felt like a more permanent home base whereas challenges come and go. So I'll post in the battle log in the week off between challenges and rest up so to speak before diving into the next challenge. It's also where I keep track of long term goals and for now I continuously update the first page with links to past challenges. But yeah I no longer post in both a challenge and battle log on a daily basis it gets to be a little too much.

• Like 4