WolfDreamer Returns to Middle Earth

8 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Still, it IS weird to be praised for something that should be the bare minimum. My values indicate I should do what is right with anyone, even (especially) if doing what is wrong will bring me some sort of gain.

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

I actually have stood up to them a few times. They see me as too headstrong and a bad influence

... when in actuality what you did was demonstrate confidence and set healthy boundaries, and therefore are an excellent influence.

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The paladin in me commends your spirit of justice.

The prophet and sage in me commends you, as well.

5 hours ago, Aquarii said:

I love it when you do LotR challenges. They just seem so very you. I feel like I am slowly coming to associate LotR with your username, and when your challenges are not either LotR or nature-based, I am very much confused, haha. 

I look forward to watching you progress through your challenge! Keep up the good work.

Thank you, yes. When my challenges are not LotR or nature-based, a part of me is confused, as well. 🤣

4 hours ago, Heidi said:

When others are made uncomfortable by justice, this says much more about them than it does about us.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Wakes the White Wolf

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBorn

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

On 1/1/2021 at 3:57 PM, fitnessgurl said:

This is a really cool challenge! By your side in battle as a prayer warrior.

Thank you. It is a pleasure to have you along.

A few days ago someone I follow on Instagram tagged me in an exercise his men's group was doing: instead of creating a New Year's resolution, they are naming 2021. His was "2021: The Year of Ascension." Another man in the group posted "2021: The Year of Unapologetic Becoming."

I thought about it and decided to participate, as well. So here is my name for 2021:

2021: The Year of Purpose and Power 

I finally feel like I'm getting locked in to my purpose as a man and beginning to more fully understand what "power" really means to me and how to use it wisely.

It is also relevant to this challenge because the three men from LotR I have chosen to focus on all have experience with both Purpose and Power and are required to make choices within these two "themes."

So there you have it: my theme for 2021.

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBorn

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

40 minutes ago, WolfDreamer said:

I like it.

• Like 1

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

7 minutes ago, Heidi said:

I like it.

Thank you. 

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

I bought a heavy resistance band today and have tried out a few workouts and movements with it. I can already tell it will be a very useful "bang for your buck" workout tool. Since I don't have room for weights at my house, this will be really helpful. I still plan to use the cinderblocks, the log, sandbag, and the stones, but the band will be great for some indoor work and increase both strength and flexibility. 

b1e59126-48b3-4cac-b401-0d4620fa8219_1.d

• Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

On 1/3/2021 at 7:50 AM, WolfDreamer said:

A few days ago someone I follow on Instagram tagged me in an exercise his men's group was doing: instead of creating a New Year's resolution, they are naming 2021. His was "2021: The Year of Ascension." Another man in the group posted "2021: The Year of Unapologetic Becoming."

I thought about it and decided to participate, as well. So here is my name for 2021:

I really like this. I might try and give 2021 a name for myself. I'll have to think about this for a while. 

• Like 2

Heroine of Time

Height: 5'8  Weight: 315lbs

Current Challenge: The Legend of RhiaWolfe: Hyrule Needs Me

Previous Challenges: 123456789101112131415161718192021222324

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

"Hyaaaat! Jeeyat-Hiyaaaah Hiet! Hyaaaaaaa Hiyyyyet! Hiyaaaaat Hiyaaaa!" - Link

Good Reads

Week One, Monday:

4164a5419122d9e926a88ed3bacb2001.jpg

• 0530 wakeup
  • said the Lord's Prayer, as well as a more personal prayer
  • read a devotional from Stand Strong, as well as the YouVersion daily devotional
  • helped my wife get princess Gracelynn (10) ready for school; I also helped princess Arabella (8) get her iPad set up and ready for distance learning (Gracelynn attends for a few hours in person because she is special needs; Arabella is learning from home for the next few weeks)

1354204378-tumblr_m6ozd4gt701r9sebro1_r3 

• drove princess Gracelynn to the bus stop, singing songs along the way and talking about how excited she is about going back to school
  • completed some brief exercises with the resistance band and also ran 2.5 miles on trails in my home town
  • completed a lesson on Intellect about mental health
  • completed my daily goal on Duolingo

dac4aae984b0b861546c1d461ed60493.jpg

• read more of The Fellowship of the Ring
  • listened to The Last Wish (the first book in the Witcher series); You know that warning that if you've already seen (and in this case "played") the adaptations, then the book will be ruined? Not true in this case; the books are still really, really good.
  • read an article on Art of Manliness about tricks and games and stunts to entertain kids on long winter nights
  • did not drink enough water, but I'm getting better at it
  • helped my wife with laundry and dishes, took the trash out and cleaned up the yard
  • Like 9

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

These quotes are making me jones for some LotR. Seriously, "not for naught does Mordor fear him," gives me chills. 

I haven't watched or played any Witcher, but I enjoyed the Last Wish and Sword of Destiny. Blood of Elves is sitting on my shelf now. Plan was to start it tonight, but I really might have to do a little Tolkien rereading instead.

• Like 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

35 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

These quotes are making me jones for some LotR. Seriously, "not for naught does Mordor fear him," gives me chills. 

I'm feeling this. It's been so long since I've read the books. Maybe I should pick them up again. 

• Like 1

Heroine of Time

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

Good Reads

2 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

These quotes are making me jones for some LotR.

You're welcome. 😁

2 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Seriously, "not for naught does Mordor fear him," gives me chills.

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

I'm feeling this. It's been so long since I've read the books. Maybe I should pick them up again. 

You definitely should.

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

15 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

You definitely should.

I normally don't reread books because I get bored with a book if I already know what's going to happen. It's been so long since I've read the LOTR books or seen the movies, so maybe I won't get bored with it. 

• Like 1

Heroine of Time

Good Reads

On 1/9/2021 at 4:05 AM, Rhovaniel said:

Hey Wolf, how's it going? Hope all is well :) 

On 1/9/2021 at 7:31 PM, fitnessgurl said:

Seconding!

Thank you both very much. I'm sorry I haven't been very active on here. It's been a busy few weeks, and by the time I had opportunities to post, I've been mentally exhausted. But I really appreciate you checking up on me.

I can give a really quick update:

In the past two weeks, "the ring" has gotten hold of me twice. I felt its pull mostly because I was alone and stressed out and too much in my head. But I spent some time reflecting on the good habits that were compromised that made it so easy to be tempted by "the ring" and now know what needs to be done to try to keep it from happening again. I am also mindful (in hindsight) of my mood shifts and changes both before I was tempted and after I succumbed and am working on ways to take ownership of those feelings and determine how best to approach them. 

I have been consistent with getting up before dawn, with prayer and scripture, as well as staying active, working out with the resistance bands and running, walking, or hiking when I can. I have shifted to taking a mindful approach to my nutrition, eating when I feel hungry, eating foods that make me feel good, and savoring the food. While I haven't been as consistent with the Wim Hof breathing, I have been consistent with cold showers (and in fact joined a 20 Day cold shower challenge) and going outside in cold weather with no shirt and no shoes.

I bought a copy of Angie Thomas's new novel, Concrete Rose. If you're not familiar with Angie Thomas, she wrote The Hate U Give. Her new book is a prequel to that one, and so far it's pretty good. I've also been reading a little bit of The Fellowship of the Ring, but as mentally exhausted as I have been, Tolkien is not easy to return to. Concrete Rose is really good, but it's also less mentally demanding than Tolkien.

The podcast is gaining traction. I have five interview episodes released now, with two more recorded, edited, and ready to go, three recorded and waiting to be edited, and five interviews scheduled for next week.

I received my first COVID-19 vaccination last week. My arm hurt for a few days, but other than that no issues.

On 1/15/2021 at 10:25 AM, Teros said:

What did it say?  (Teaching is the best learning)

I'll just be over here with my axe.

Urban Dictionary: you have my axe

Hey there @Teros. It is always a pleasure, my friend.

The article shared some mental practices for preventing your brain from misleading you when you feel tempted. You can read more here

I really appreciate all of you. I'm doing well; it has just been... a lot, and I have been mostly careful to reserve my mental energy.

I'll still be around, though.

• Like 4

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Tis a rare occurence to find someone who finds Faramir to be amongst their favored few. I do believe we've found common ground.

Sorry I tried making that sound as Tolkien'y as I could but its been a few years!

Faramir is my favorite character and you best believe ill be following your exploits!

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Currently Posting in -->Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] 

I forgot to share a story of my hiking adventure this weekend. I posted this to the Hiking forum, as well as to the Adventurer's club.

There is a radio tower near my home, and the hike out and back is just over 10k (with the route I take, anyway). There is something mythical about this hike, even though it follows a mix of foot trails, ATV trails, and access roads, because it requires a 450+ ft mountain climb in the first 1/2 mile, provides panoramic views of other mountains and a river valley, and passes several transmission towers that stand like guardians of some secret power, humming with unseen energy. And of course the tower itself stands high above everything, also pulsing with energy and power.

The hike was made even more adventurous a couple of days ago. Steady rains the day before had left the trails muddy and slick, and clumps of red clay stuck to my trail shoes and made some of the climbs a bit precarious. Less than an hour into the hike the sky darkened and both snow and ice fell and did not let up until my return. Of course, being someone who practices the Wim Hof Method (ir)regularly, I took the opportunity to walk the last mile without a shirt.

Do any of you have hiking adventure stories or favorite hiking spots that are often epic or mythical?

• Like 6

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

10 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Rickett's Glen

20150525_154854~3.jpg

20150525_152000.jpg

That is incredible and a wonderful place for an adventure! Thank you for sharing these with me.

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

On 1/19/2021 at 8:52 AM, WolfDreamer said:

Do any of you have hiking adventure stories or favorite hiking spots that are often epic or mythical?

I have several but it’s been a long time since my favorite hike.  One of my favorite trails is the Little Grand Canyon, in Southern Illinois. It’s one of the traditional hiking spots for my family and a nice, relatively kid-friendly trail with a couple of difficult places. It’s usually well-trafficked. 

I always liked camping and survival skills. But when I was about 12, I got REALLY into maps and orienteering. My grandpa got me a topographical map of The Little Grand Canyon and we went for a long day hike along with my grandma and then 8-year-old sister.  We brought a picnic lunch and walked an hour in, and it was a lot of fun. It was a cool, nice day but also not terribly busy compared to the times I’ve seen it since. 

Until we got lost. Sometime just after lunch, he declared we had passed this part of the trail twice before.  We had a few snacks and enough water for the rest of the day but we needed to be out before dark, when it would get really dangerous. I set to work, pulling my map and compass, checking landmarks, and figuring out which way to go to lead everyone out. We made it back to the car around dusk. 

He never said otherwise, but I know he was never lost. He was testing me, or rather giving me the opportunity to test myself, in a seemingly dangerous situation that I’ve always felt good about. (My grandma and sister? They’ve always been directionless.) I’ve never had the strongest sense of direction, but I can find my way with a map and use a compass, and adventures like that are a big part of what I really miss about my grandpa. 

• Like 2

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

I remain sane and in one piece, in spite of some setbacks. I have been through a great battle with some dark forces, but they haven't beaten me, nor have they captured me.

That's a really dramatic way of saying I'm still here, I haven't lost my mind yet, and although my temptations and bad habits have been really powerful lately, I am maintaining my goals and staying active and vigilant.

I just haven't had much time to post and update everyone as often as I'd like. I'll share a few things with you while I have some time.

First, I want to thank @Aquarii for visiting my Introduction post from 2016. It was refreshing to follow that notification and to be reminded of where I began, why I came to this group, and how my goals have grown and yet stayed consistent with who I want to be.

Updates.

• Been waking up early every morning (between 0415-0500)
  • saying the Lord's Prayer as well as some more personal prayers
  • reading my devotional as well as the daily verse stories on YouVersion
  • meditating daily in a variety of ways; some sitting in silence, some guided meditation, and some walking meditation
  • started a new novel called Spoiler Alert. It's something way out of my comfort zone because it's a romance novel, but I've read good reviews because it involves such nerdy things as fanfic and fandom, discussion boards, fantasy genre TV shows, social media, and more. It's also getting good reviews for being a fat-positive romance. I'm liking it so far, but as I said it is a bit out of my comfort zone because I don't read very many romance novels. I'm reading it as part of the BookRiot Read Harder Challenge for 2021. I doubt I will complete the entire challenge, but I welcome the opportunity to read books that are out of my typical genre choices.
  • consistently working out every day with the resistance bands and running or walking every day.
  • lost a few battles against the one ring, but I feel like I am winning the war one victory at a time.
  • the podcast is continuing along. Episode 7 was just released this morning. There are more than 7 episodes, but some of them are short segments of just me, talking about whatever is on my mind or giving some motivational tips and encouragement. I have 6 interviews recorded and waiting to be edited and released.
  • we took out a loan for $3,000 to help with the house remodel; our hope is that after we receive our income tax returns, we will have enough to begin the major work
  • been listening to a lot of episodes of Connor Beaton's ManTalks podcast, as well as Man Uncivilized and Mike Campbell's newer podcast, Everyday Legends. Connor recently said in an interview with Traver Boehm (founder of Man Uncivilized) that we are currently "in the midst of the greatest mental health crisis the world has ever know." I am inclined to agree,
  • finally started watching The Old Guard, which was recommended last year but I never got around to watching it. I still haven't finished the entire movie, but that's only because of time constraints; I also need to finish The Umbrella Academy. I love it, but I just haven't had time to finish it.

• Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines