1 hour ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

This is the scienciest science that has ever scienced.  Unfortunately I'm just enough lactose intolerant that ice cream is rarely worth it for me, no matter how much I love it, so I feign contentment more often than I'd like to admit.  Their salted caramel and cookie dough aren't the worst ever at least.

I have had (and made, though long ago) some decent coconut milk ice creams, and I like sorbets, even if they lack the creaminess, but yeah. Replacement ice cream is rough.

Even commercial no sugar ice cream... it feels and tastes decent, even if it is all vanilla, but they use a sweetener that still causes an insulin response, which defeats the point, and also causes "intestinal distress" when eaten in quantity, which also defeats the point.

I'm almost moderately okay with blending up frozen blueberries and cream. It tastes good, and fits my macros. It's close to a nice soft ice cream in texture, though it isn't nearly as smooth. However, it is not chocolate, and that is subpar. No one can live on grainy blueberry ice cream.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I think the coconut milk ice cream I make is as good as full dairy cream ice cream. The main advantage is that it is lactose-free. The sugar and fat content are on par with traditional ice cream. The other advantage is that coconut milk keeps for months in cans, unlike heavy cream which has to be used within a week.

I have not found any artificial sweetners that I would want to use.  Sugar changes the freezing point of the ice cream mix. If you don't use sugar, you would need something else to give the right texture.  I don't see the point.

What is the limitation you are facing around chocolate?

A 1:1 mixture of chocolate and heavy cream makes a great fudge sauce or simple fudge. Add some more cream and you can make ice cream. You can control how much sugar you want to add. If you want to get fancy, you can cook the milk with eggs first and make chocolate custard. I make chocolate pudding with both eggs and cornstarch. If I recall correctly, corn-derived products are not okay for you. Potato starch maybe?

Really, we have to find a way to get you the chocolate you need to live.

• Like 1

Level 56  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

13 minutes ago, Mistr said:

unlike heavy cream which has to be used within a week.

Untrue! Mine lasts ages in the fridge. A month, at least. I usually only use it for coffee.

But yes, coconut milk is very similar to the fat content and mouth-feel of dairy fat based ice cream. I can't commit, because it's been years, but I recall those homemade ice creams being almost indistinguishable, and I hear the commercial ones are very good.

16 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I have not found any artificial sweetners that I would want to use.  Sugar changes the freezing point of the ice cream mix. If you don't use sugar, you would need something else to give the right texture.  I don't see the point.

That's definitely the tricky part. I've heard allulose does well, though I can't guarantee. Also, other things change freezing points. Like booze. But really, the answer is "eat it all right away".;)

17 minutes ago, Mistr said:

What is the limitation you are facing around chocolate?

I tried an ice cream maker last summer, never froze anything. So I got rid of it. Right now, I'm relying on the frozen fruit for the freezing action. And adding chocolate to that really isn't the same.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

35 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I have had (and made, though long ago) some decent coconut milk ice creams, and I like sorbets, even if they lack the creaminess, but yeah. Replacement ice cream is rough.

I hear you, though I’ve heard from chefs who have made some really sophisticated coconut milk ice creams at home — including some supposedly excellent coconut milk chocolate sorbets. I haven’t found very good coconut ice cream that’s sold commercially.

Halo Top was a nice idea, but I’ve accepted there’s no way to add significant protein to anything without creating a chalky texture.

42 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Even commercial no sugar ice cream... it feels and tastes decent, even if it is all vanilla, but they use a sweetener that still causes an insulin response, which defeats the point, and also causes "intestinal distress" when eaten in quantity, which also defeats the point.

It’s been a while since I poked around, but I always thought that most sugar substitutes — especially sugar alcohols — caused much smaller insulin responses. They taste like crap though. Plus, mistr rightly points out the mechanical function sugar plays in ice cream...

13 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I have not found any artificial sweetners that I would want to use.  Sugar changes the freezing point of the ice cream mix. If you don't use sugar, you would need something else to give the right texture.

You can totally use hydrocolloids to get around this problem, but most home cooks are not willing to get that sophisticated for a problem that costs $5 at their local supermarket to fix, I agree it’s not worth it.

17 minutes ago, Mistr said:

A 1:1 mixture of chocolate and heavy cream makes a great fudge sauce or simple fudge. Add some more cream and you can make ice cream. You can control how much sugar you want to add. If you want to get fancy, you can cook the milk with eggs first and make chocolate custard. I make chocolate pudding with both eggs and cornstarch. If I recall correctly, corn-derived products are not okay for you. Potato starch maybe?

Yeah, I feel like chocolate mousse and chocolate pudding are both far easier desserts to make at home, and they feel like comforting/fancy treats. I found a Stella Parks recipe ages ago for chocolate pudding that doesn’t use eggs or starch — it actually uses gelatin.

• Like 2

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

4 hours ago, PaulG said:

It’s been a while since I poked around, but I always thought that most sugar substitutes — especially sugar alcohols — caused much smaller insulin responses.

Not all of them, no, though that's a fairly recent discussion. Maltodextrin in particular is getting a lot of scrutiny for having a fairly high insulin response, and it's the most common (and most bowel-breaking - see the infamous Amazon reviews for sugar-free gummy bears) commercial alternative.

9 hours ago, 18ck said:

Accurate. 

I'm normally not one for badmouthing the outgoing year, but I think we can agree this one was objectively kind of a clusterfuck.

• Like 1

In making my schedule yesterday, I sort of forgot today was a holiday. No worries. I'm going with the "just do five minutes of everything" plan. Things are moving forward incrementally.

• Like 4

Week 0 Day 5

• Walk: 0 minutes/0 miles
  • Meditate : 0 minutes
  • Study: 0 minutes

• Drank: 24oz
  • Ate: 2 things

Bonus logical things:

1. Hydrate
  2. Eat a thing
  3. Music on
  4. Start the timer
  5. Update list

Star Trek Drink GIF

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

In making my schedule yesterday, I sort of forgot today was a holiday. No worries. I'm going with the "just do five minutes of everything" plan. Things are moving forward incrementally.

Me too. I had some New Year sort of beverages and now my snatch sets are pitiful instead of glorious. Anyway five minutes of everything is great because you still strengthen the "choosing to do the thing" muscle.

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

10 hours ago, Harriet said:

Me too. I had some New Year sort of beverages and now my snatch sets are pitiful instead of glorious. Anyway five minutes of everything is great because you still strengthen the "choosing to do the thing" muscle.

Yeah, that is a good muscle to work on. Also, for ADHDers, "how to start the thing" is a good one to get reps on, because there can be a disconnect between choosing to do it and getting it started. I'm thinking a lot lately about how to practice that, and how to reduce friction in getting things done. Powering through the hard way is an admirable display of willpower, but not generally the most sustainable option, especially for frequent obstacles. I used to be a "power through, it builds character" person, and then I learned to be more pragmatic and also I learned aikido, which favors finding the path around, the path of minimum effort, versus powering through and direct attack. Hard to apply, but a good life lesson in effectiveness and resilience.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 2

35 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

because there can be a disconnect between choosing to do it and getting it started.

This is all too familiar, so if you have tips please share! It's not even procrastination, it's like time relations sometimes break down for me. Though sometimes it is just procrastination.

Constantly having to power through is so exhausting. I feel like the idea of willpower as a muscle that needs to be strengthened is so overrated. It's better to focus it on important things.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Constantly having to power through is so exhausting. I feel like the idea of willpower as a muscle that needs to be strengthened is so overrated. It's better to focus it on important things.

Yeah, the exhaustion is real. I don't love that willpower metaphor, either. For one thing, it puts it in the same column as another thing people guiltily avoid. I think there is value to practice, in the sense of keeping the pump primed. It's always harder to restart an unused pump. Momentum is more valuable than willpower. But I'm coming around to the point of view that willpower may not be a thing; people don't have lack of willpower or effort, no one likes to do badly. They have other problems getting in the way that need to be solved.

13 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

This is all too familiar, so if you have tips please share! It's not even procrastination, it's like time relations sometimes break down for me. Though sometimes it is just procrastination.

I don't have it solved, for sure. The reason I turn on a 15 minute timer every day is that it gets me out of a pattern of losing time because I don't see it. I think of it as allocating 15 minute blocks to jobs or breaks; that first one can be a break, and often is just to get my head thinking about things. Then I'll change the lengths of those jobs and breaks, depending on what it feels like I need, either for myself or to feel like I'm making progress.

I try to focus on immediate things. Not everything that needs to be done, but maybe the next three jobs at most. I don't have much internal sense of time apart from "now" or "later". If I put too much in "now", I can't order it and don't know where to start, because they're not all reasonable to do now. If I put things in "later", they may stay there because I'm always in now, I never reach later, so I mentally try to do them all now to not lose them. But if now's job is always "pull the next two or three things, and take a break", it's easier.

But yeah, this is a big deal for me. I've been wondering lately if part of the problem always was simply working alone a lot. That, however much we thrive as introverts or how comfortable we are alone, perhaps work is something we do partly in response to being our social selves, our interactive selves. That we pull time signals and priority signals and signals about what we're skilled at and what we want to be skilled at subconsciously from our interactions with people. We may benefit from going off and doing the work alone, but some part of mentally modeling and planning it is social.

• Like 4

Guys. I have three liters of the oversteeped ginger brandy. Do you realise how many brandy and cokes that is? And while I could justify that as  health tonic under Ankh-Morpork rules (preferably with a sausage inna bun), I don't think I can under Vulcan rules.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't believe Vulcans consume intoxicants of any kind. If I am not mistaken, even their teas are really tisanes as they do not consume caffeine. 

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

3 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I don't believe Vulcans consume intoxicants of any kind. If I am not mistaken, even their teas are really tisanes as they do not consume caffeine. 

Then explain this. Also, Vulcan Brandy is canon.  

4E57A874-7C80-4356-A993-24898E1D6A45.png

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

4 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Spock has on occasion been known to have a highly remarkable brandy, but I think you're generally right on the alcohol. I wouldn't argue on the tea, I don't know. But my coffee is decaf, and my tea is herbal or green, which is, like, caffeine but people like to say it doesn't count. I'm willing to amend that one to "avoid intoxication" rather than "avoid intoxicants", but it's harder to justify the bacon. Uh, health reasons, guys, I swear, and it's as close to replicated as I can get. And there are more vegetarian meals in rotation.

Still. That's 48 brandy and cokes. And I have five open bottles of wine from a socially distanced family holiday event.

Hard liquor and red meat. Worst. Vulcan. Ever.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

You have raised indisputable evidence there.

I thought there was some canon inconsistency on that, like Vulcan wine or something. On the one hand, total ascetics, and on the other, total highbrow aesthetes who sip wine while playing 3D chess, discussing diplomacy, and listening to space piano concertos. (Don't inquire too closely about the silver minidresses.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Not all Vulcans choose to follow the path of Surak.

Furthermore, how do we know this is not a reference to the Greek God rather than the planet and it's people?

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Not all Vulcans choose to follow the path of Surak.

Heresy.

Though I will say, a lot of the closest followers of Surak, and Surak himself, were not that uptight. I mean, sober, but a lot more flexible than some of the dudes with something to prove. And like any major religion or philosophy, I'd imagine you have your hardliners and your Christmas-and-Easter Vulcans.

Furthermore, how do we know this is not a reference to the Greek God rather than the planet and it's people?

I can answer this! Because the Greek god was Haephestus. Definitely not him. ;)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

collapsing star trek GIF by HULU

Drunk, drunk, drunk. 

Okay, I've got a higher alcohol tolerance than that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I don't know if this is good or bad advice, worked for me. I find when I am on the computer time just slips away, the internet is a procrastinators playground. I have put an evening cutoff on the computer and a list of tasks I try to accomplish while I am off. If that is hard to implement I use a computer application called Cold Turkey, you can set it to shutdown your computer automatically at the cutoff time.  Won't work for everyone but it's been working the last month for me. Maybe I will report back in a year for true proof of concept.

11 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Yeah, that is a good muscle to work on. Also, for ADHDers, "how to start the thing" is a good one to get reps on, because there can be a disconnect between choosing to do it and getting it started. I'm thinking a lot lately about how to practice that, and how to reduce friction in getting things done. Powering through the hard way is an admirable display of willpower, but not generally the most sustainable option, especially for frequent obstacles. I used to be a "power through, it builds character" person, and then I learned to be more pragmatic and also I learned aikido, which favors finding the path around, the path of minimum effort, versus powering through and direct attack. Hard to apply, but a good life lesson in effectiveness and resilience.

Yeah, starting is the big thing. For me, once I get started, it's often way easier and more rewarding than I thought it would be. For reasons, I overestimate the difficulty of tasks and underestimate how interesting or enjoyable they might be. So it's not realllly about powering through awfulness for me, at least not most of the time. It's about getting out of inertia/procrastination to have some good things that I value in my day, and hopefully over time rewiring my brain so I'm more automatically and happily action oriented. I think because of the fatigue, I've tended to "hoard" energy even as my fitness has improved. Gotta spend some to get some back, though. My goal is to push at the edges of discomfort a little--not enough to burn out, just enough to increase my capacities over time.

10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

If it's willpower just to endure things that suck, then yeah, that doesn't sound great. I guess for me I'm trying to weaken the irrational "I can't do this" or "I don't want to do this, so I won't" response to things I actually DO want to do. I want to replace it with a stronger and more rational response that's more like "Easy, let's go!" Or even "Yay, time to write!". I just have to rewire those associations.

9 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I try to focus on immediate things. Not everything that needs to be done, but maybe the next three jobs at most. I don't have much internal sense of time apart from "now" or "later". If I put too much in "now", I can't order it and don't know where to start, because they're not all reasonable to do now. If I put things in "later", they may stay there because I'm always in now, I never reach later, so I mentally try to do them all now to not lose them. But if now's job is always "pull the next two or three things, and take a break", it's easier.

This sounds like a useful approach. Bite sized chunks of day, one after the other.

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

10 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Oh man the number of fights I've gotten into with my dad because of this. They'd ask me to do a chore and I'd answer sure, but since it wasn't urgent I'd put it in the "later" category. Which wouldn't happen because I was in the "now". He thought that I was a terrible lazy child and did it on purpose, while I hadn't even noticed that time had passed.

10 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

But yeah, this is a big deal for me. I've been wondering lately if part of the problem always was simply working alone a lot. That, however much we thrive as introverts or how comfortable we are alone, perhaps work is something we do partly in response to being our social selves, our interactive selves. That we pull time signals and priority signals and signals about what we're skilled at and what we want to be skilled at subconsciously from our interactions with people. We may benefit from going off and doing the work alone, but some part of mentally modeling and planning it is social.

Interesting thought. For me when I'm at work I'm just always in the "now" since the social rules dictate that when I'm at my laptop I should work. Any new task or question or thought goes on my todo list and becomes "later". But I don't have to think about it because I'm only working on one thing at a time. When I'm done with that I move on to the next thing on the list. Meetings are much easier at work because there's always someone to drag me. Now I have to rely on notifications, which is much more difficult. 

At home there are no rules. I'll look at my plants and think "I should water them soon" and before I know it it's been a month and they're dead. I've tried schedules and reminders but somehow they all become "later" in my head.

24 minutes ago, Harriet said:

My goal is to push at the edges of discomfort a little--not enough to burn out, just enough to increase my capacities over time.

What is this sorcery? Are you saying it's possible to have more stages than on/off?

26 minutes ago, Harriet said:

If it's willpower just to endure things that suck, then yeah, that doesn't sound great. I guess for me I'm trying to weaken the irrational "I can't do this" or "I don't want to do this, so I won't" response to things I actually DO want to do. I want to replace it with a stronger and more rational response that's more like "Easy, let's go!" Or even "Yay, time to write!". I just have to rewire those associations.

Using willpower to rewire your brain so that you can use less willpower later is an excellent use of it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

What is this sorcery? Are you saying it's possible to have more stages than on/off?

Using willpower to rewire your brain so that you can use less willpower later is an excellent use of it.

Yes, I used to have two states: NOPE and Maybe Very Reluctantly. I have added a third mode: I Guess I Could Try That.

I hope it will succeed.

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines