Weight Loss PVP: 10 lbs in 10 Weeks! [4 Jan - 15 Mar, 2021]

Somehow, I'm just over one pound down.  I'm not tracking, just trying to each a little more sensibly that I've been used to over the past year or so. 

QUESTION:  Does anybody have the Nerd Fitness Journey app?  Or have you used it?  And if so, is it worth the price?  I was thinking of doing a 3 month trial and could use some feedback before I commit to it.  I didn't do anything with it during the first 7 (free) days.

• Like 3

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Things We Lose Have A Way Of Coming Back To Us In The End. If Not Always In The Way We Expect It

25 minutes ago, Blaze said:

Somehow, I'm just over one pound down.  I'm not tracking, just trying to each a little more sensibly that I've been used to over the past year or so. 

QUESTION:  Does anybody have the Nerd Fitness Journey app?  Or have you used it?  And if so, is it worth the price?  I was thinking of doing a 3 month trial and could use some feedback before I commit to it.  I didn't do anything with it during the first 7 (free) days.

Way to go!

I have the app. I just got it a couple months  ago (had it for free trial before)  I use it. I like the workouts. And I find earning gear   for completing things a fun motivator. If however you haven't used it in 7 days, maybe it's not worth it to you?  Because it's only worth it if you use it. 

• Like 3

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I've sortof been aiming for this anyway, mind if I join belatedly?

• Like 6

Keladris the Bard
Current XP: 130
Current Challenge: Rebuilding
---------------------------------------------------------
Previous challenges: Respawn Limbering up | Going Forth | Lifting the thing | Exploring | Staying the course | Stabilising | Preparing | Counting WinsRolling Initiative | Catching up | Building Base Camp

5 hours ago, Blaze said:

If you're just starting out with your fitness journey, or need help getting back on track, I think it's probably great. If you've got a solid routine, it's probably less useful.

It's basically the Academy repackaged in a super user-friendly way, with the rings, hand stands, and yoga, and as a purchaser of the academy and the other stuff, I'm still pretty salty about them claiming it was an entirely new thing that was not included in the lifetime updates of those programs. They have added some new things beyond what was in the academy, now, and they are adding more stuff, but I'm not entirely sure it's fully out of beta yet and it launched with just the academy and already existing programs in it, so it does seem to be improving as it goes along. The character you get to make is fun, and I'm really enjoying the monthly(ish) challenge. That said, unless they adjust the price, I'm probably not going to renew when my current subscription is up. Since I already own most of the content, I won't pay for it twice, and the price is twice what I'm willing to pay for the new stuff.

There's also a discord server, but that's not particularly useful for me, especially with the current layout. If you're way into discord, that might be a useful thing for you. They also do Facebook live broadcasts (or at least they were for a while). I stopped paying attention to the announcements about those because they only do them at times that are convenient for the eastern time zone, and since I'm in pacific, I could never watch them.  Which makes 2 more "parts" of it that I'm not using, which further makes the price it's normally offered at not make sense for me.

• Like 3

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

Signed up! Took the likes as permission haha.

In my first week I didn't lose anything. I think it might actually be cos my calories were too low (originally started with a goal of 1500/day). Either that or these things simply take time. I'm trying not to focus too much on the short term, but would hope to see some weight loss within the 10 weeks! My calorie goal is now 1800 which should help to fuel the extra exercise I'm doing. Results will come when they are ready.

• Like 9

Keladris the Bard
Current XP: 130
Current Challenge: Rebuilding
---------------------------------------------------------
Previous challenges: Respawn Limbering up | Going Forth | Lifting the thing | Exploring | Staying the course | Stabilising | Preparing | Counting WinsRolling Initiative | Catching up | Building Base Camp

3 hours ago, Keladris said:

I've sortof been aiming for this anyway, mind if I join belatedly?

Welcome!

1 hour ago, Elennare said:

If you're just starting out with your fitness journey, or need help getting back on track, I think it's probably great. If you've got a solid routine, it's probably less useful.

It's basically the Academy repackaged in a super user-friendly way, with the rings, hand stands, and yoga, and as a purchaser of the academy and the other stuff, I'm still pretty salty about them claiming it was an entirely new thing that was not included in the lifetime updates of those programs. They have added some new things beyond what was in the academy, now, and they are adding more stuff, but I'm not entirely sure it's fully out of beta yet and it launched with just the academy and already existing programs in it, so it does seem to be improving as it goes along. The character you get to make is fun, and I'm really enjoying the monthly(ish) challenge. That said, unless they adjust the price, I'm probably not going to renew when my current subscription is up. Since I already own most of the content, I won't pay for it twice, and the price is twice what I'm willing to pay for the new stuff.

There's also a discord server, but that's not particularly useful for me, especially with the current layout. If you're way into discord, that might be a useful thing for you. They also do Facebook live broadcasts (or at least they were for a while). I stopped paying attention to the announcements about those because they only do them at times that are convenient for the eastern time zone, and since I'm in pacific, I could never watch them.  Which makes 2 more "parts" of it that I'm not using, which further makes the price it's normally offered at not make sense for me.

I was too salty to even try it, and since it’s been announced the old Academy Facebook group has been dying a slow, sad death. I too bought Academy and Yoga and was irked by the backtracking on ‘you’re family, nothing more to pay ever’ to what felt like general grabby-handedness. Thanks for confirming my suspicions about the timezone assumptions, I will continue engaging more with the forums and veering away from NF Facebook.

• Like 4

I suppose I'm restarting my fitness journey so that might work for me.

There's also a discord server, but that's not particularly useful for me, especially with the current layout. If you're way into discord, that might be a useful thing for you. 

I'm 51 and I don't know the first thing about discord except it's like a live chat platform,(?) and I don't wanna talk to anybody (introvert) so I don't care about that.

Be like the Mandalorian |  BE LIKE THE MANDALORIAN; * AVOIDS MASS GATHERINGS * MAINTAINS CONSTANT DISTANCE FROM OTHERS * NEVER TAKES HIS MASK OFF IN PUBLIC; THIS IS THE WAY | image tagged in mandalorian,covid19 | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Things We Lose Have A Way Of Coming Back To Us In The End. If Not Always In The Way We Expect It

5 hours ago, Elennare said:

I'm still pretty salty about them claiming it was an entirely new thing that was not included in the lifetime updates of those programs.

Love Steve and NF but this is why i didn't buy anything after the original pdf guides barbell battalion etc. which came with lifetime updates but then got repackaged as Academy with basically the same content at the beginning. Surprise surprise once Academy launched no further updates.  Rinse and repeat with each product launch. It was annoying with Academy because that effectively put a paywall on the forums and they've been in decline ever since. I think we lost a lot of forum users here to the academy. 

• Like 5

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

4 hours ago, Yasha92 said:

I was too salty to even try it, and since it’s been announced the old Academy Facebook group has been dying a slow, sad death. I too bought Academy and Yoga and was irked by the backtracking on ‘you’re family, nothing more to pay ever’ to what felt like general grabby-handedness. Thanks for confirming my suspicions about the timezone assumptions, I will continue engaging more with the forums and veering away from NF Facebook.

I too, looked at Prime and went, how come that's not part of the Academy update? Tbh, I don't use it anymore anyway, so it didn't bother me anyway. 

• Like 2

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

Okay i did my weigh in yesterday.

Was not impressed, as i thought i would be.

There is also a thing in the back of my head nagging as i have used a different way of writing down my weight for so long.

But also because i didn't run much last week and Saturday and Sunday both had dinners where i know i will bloat from.

So i went back to my old and trusted method of using HackDiet for tracking (it's better on my mind).

image.png.405064fc55e3e36a0835b49dfdbb825c.png

Therefore i am declaring:

• i have lost 0.3 KG this week (80,6 - 80,3)
  • i need to be a bit more strict this week to get to the 0.5KG (1 lbs) but todays weigh in looks promising

The red day was day 1 of my PvP, Monday 11th was the second weigh day.

As you can see the difference between today and yesterday is 1.2 KG (2.6 lbs). I can't handle that. That's why i'm using the trend column to represent my weight. It's a trailing average, which puts my mind to rest cause it negates the bloat. Downside is when you start losing weight it doesn't drop very fast.

Another example: (Keeping in mind my screenshot above)

if i would use Tuesday 5th as first weigh in, and Sunday 10th as second weigh in i would have GAINED 0.7 KG (1.5 pounds) in 5 days!

Therefore using 2 weighing moments to base stuff off of, is short-circuiting my brain...

Carry on...

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

... a little odd in the head ...

A pre-spreadsheet spreadsheet? You nerrrrrrrrd XD

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
14 hours ago, Athena said:

How do your clothes feel?

Pretty much the same, to be honest. I suppose I could count that as a win as they don't feel tighter.

• Like 3

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Oh maaaan, is this Nerd Central?

(Loving it :D)

11 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

Pretty much the same, to be honest. I suppose I could count that as a win as they don't feel tighter.

Yeah, I agree! :)

Bodies aren't things to expect linear progress from. (Those that do, whatever, you lucky bastards! I am happy for you (genuinely, I think :D ). )

But we will do this!

• Like 2

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

2 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

There is also a thing in the back of my head nagging as i have used a different way of writing down my weight for so long.

But also because i didn't run much last week and Saturday and Sunday both had dinners where i know i will bloat from.

So i went back to my old and trusted method of using HackDiet for tracking (it's better on my mind).

• i need to be a bit more strict this week to get to the 0.5KG (1 lbs) but todays weigh in looks promising

As you can see the difference between today and yesterday is 1.2 KG (2.6 lbs). I can't handle that. That's why i'm using the trend column to represent my weight. It's a trailing average, which puts my mind to rest cause it negates the bloat. Downside is when you start losing weight it doesn't drop very fast.

if i would use Tuesday 5th as first weigh in, and Sunday 10th as second weigh in i would have GAINED 0.7 KG (1.5 pounds) in 5 days!

Therefore using 2 weighing moments to base stuff off of, is short-circuiting my brain...

Carry on...

Oooooooo! Major nerd chops for your hack diet pre spreadsheet spreadsheet. I do something similar, have my scale send measurements to trendweight and then try to just pay attention to the ‘trend’ (smoothed) number. I think my mental health first thing in the morning is better being spared the highest highs as well as the lowest lows!

• Like 2

Whoo. I may not have much to say on this thread, and I definitely didn’t do what needed doing Week 1 for my numbers to go where I want, but y’all did good on my shoulder today. My Nerds in general, but being in this thread in specific.

I went for a second helping of my lunch - because I thought I was still hungry. I’d sat with lunch for a bit while I wrote and re-wrote an Instagram post. So it’s ok. Time had passed. I was really hungry. Not just mindless eating hungry. Right?

And I was heading to the grocery. Hungry at the store means carte Blanche to buy junk because: yolo, right? 

Starving Kids In Africa. 

I also *deserved* that extra pasta, dammit, because I’d posted something that was a glimpse into emotional vulnerability. 

ummmmm .... hellz to the no. Back that train up right now thankyouverymuch. 

No to ascribing value to food. Nope, nope, nope. Pulling that tired old chestnut out is a: absolute damaging bullshit, and b: not going to work any more you damn hunger gremlin. You’re an asshole.

So I retrieved my extra helping from the microwave and back into the fridge it went with the understanding that if I was genuinely hungry while at the store, I could either buy my usual lunch sushi or a single serving bag of whatever foreign and weird bullshit strikes my fancy.

And you know what? 

That asshole gremlin was lying.

Y’all were on my shoulder at the store with implied accountability, and I didn’t need either the weirdo Indian snacks or the Australian chocolate things that looked interesting.

I’m home. I’m neither physically or emotionally hungry. I didn’t die of starvation at the grocery. I got what was on my list + Corn Nuts for DH (because I literally ran into them with my face and remembered he was looking for them a few weeks ago) and popcorn for me. 

• Like 7
  • That's Metal 5

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

3 minutes ago, darkfoxx said:

Whoo. I may not have much to say on this thread, and I definitely didn’t do what needed doing Week 1 for my numbers to go where I want, but y’all did good on my shoulder today. My Nerds in general, but being in this thread in specific.

I went for a second helping of my lunch - because I thought I was still hungry. I’d sat with lunch for a bit while I wrote and re-wrote an Instagram post. So it’s ok. Time had passed. I was really hungry. Not just mindless eating hungry. Right?

And I was heading to the grocery. Hungry at the store means carte Blanche to buy junk because: yolo, right? 

Starving Kids In Africa. 

I also *deserved* that extra pasta, dammit, because I’d posted something that was a glimpse into emotional vulnerability. 

ummmmm .... hellz to the no. Back that train up right now thankyouverymuch. 

No to ascribing value to food. Nope, nope, nope. Pulling that tired old chestnut out is a: absolute damaging bullshit, and b: not going to work any more you damn hunger gremlin. You’re an asshole.

So I retrieved my extra helping from the microwave and back into the fridge it went with the understanding that if I was genuinely hungry while at the store, I could either buy my usual lunch sushi or a single serving bag of whatever foreign and weird bullshit strikes my fancy.

And you know what? 

That asshole gremlin was lying.

Y’all were on my shoulder at the store with implied accountability, and I didn’t need either the weirdo Indian snacks or the Australian chocolate things that looked interesting.

I’m home. I’m neither physically or emotionally hungry. I didn’t die of starvation at the grocery. I got what was on my list + Corn Nuts for DH (because I literally ran into them with my face and remembered he was looking for them a few weeks ago) and popcorn for me. 

AWESOME!!! You met up with that gremlin and you punched it right in the face.

• Like 4

Does anyone else here use the app My BVI? It scans you from front and side and spits out estimates of visceral fat + bodyfat %age. I have to resist the tendency to compare the measures from my smart scale and from the BVI app and ‘pick’ whichever one I like better. I suspect neither is all that accurate in terms of absolute numbers, and I should pay attention to trends over time, but curious to hear other people’s experiences. I got underwater weighed one time in my 20s (the joys of having a kinesiologist for a dad) back when I was super fit and lean... that’s supposed to be super reliable, but it’s also a bit inconvenient!

• Like 2

cocktail vodka GIF by Dropbear

it was TimTams, wasn’t it?

i had the great pleasure of introducing my American friends to the TimTam slam while over for a wedding. You just, gotta *shrug* 

sounds like you kicked that brain gremlins butt! Way to go!

• Like 5
7 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

Y’all were on my shoulder at the store with implied accountability

This is exactly why I felt the need to reboot this challenge.  ;) 

• Like 6

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

7 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Carry on...

That's an awesome tracker. I used to do the weigh in  once a week, but it similarly frustrated me. I found Jordan Syatt's youtubes on weight loss and  this issue and found them very helpful. He talks about how it is natural for our weight to fluctuate some , and not to be freaked out about it

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

:) Am I the only one not salty about what NF is doing with their products?

Maybe my cynicism is my ally in this case. I expected it to happen when the company grew, I am happy the forums are still here (probably the server is paid by the income they are getting? And so are the coaches and NF staff 🤔 I am sure they are getting taken cared of and that is not cheap anywhere but in the U.S.? ) 

It's good you are sharing these things though. How things overlap. That might make some changes happen. Though the Academy and Journey are comparatively new (10 yrs NF, how many years of other products?) I'd give them some time to figure things out but I am also generally very tolerant and patient 😅

EDIT: wanted to say the less patient people usually are the ones get 👏 things 👏done👏, it is a good thing there are different types of people to balance :)

• Like 2

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

There is an app called happy scale that also calculates a rolling average for you, just dropping that here in case it’s useful to anyone. 

Personally it doesn’t bother me at all anymore seeing that number go up and down. Doing some water weight drops before competitions really put that into perspective, among other things, 

• Like 4

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram