Weight Loss PVP: 10 lbs in 10 Weeks! [4 Jan - 15 Mar, 2021]

I stepped the scale early this week out of curiosity, and despite how busy work has had me, I'm still trending downwards :D 

Happy dance gif | Brad pitt, Fun workouts, Dumbbell arm workout

On 1/19/2021 at 1:20 PM, Bouncer_the_Lovable said:

(I feel like so much protein stuff as peanut butter, to an annoying point - I prefer my chocolate peanut butter in chocolate covered candy form). 

It's about finding tasty compromises that serve as an occasional treat to motivate yourself :D 

On 1/21/2021 at 2:52 PM, pureleeawesome said:

I motherflippin sprinted during parts of my freeform run during Zombies Couch to 5k last night

Fantastic work!  Don't fight the urge if it pops up again ;) 

23 hours ago, pureleeawesome said:

So, I somehow managed to gain 200g which I'm a little bummed about.

I'm wondering if it's because of how I've changed my routine though so I think I'll weigh myself again tomorrow morning and see if there's much difference.

After the hard work of the week I'm feeling kinda let down. More careful about calculating the calories in this week methinks.

This is why I encourage weighing yourself every day for a few weeks just to see how much our bodies vary day-to-day.  It helps discourage scale shock, and then move to weighing only weekly or monthly to keep your eye on trends over time rather than daily because a large carbohydrate forward day can mean two extra pounds of water held in your cells or bloating, etc etc.

Don't sweat 200g day to day.  Keep your eyes trained on the kilograms over time!  B) 

3 hours ago, Keladris said:

Hope y'all don't mind me weighing on Sundays rather than Mondays, it just suits my routine better.

Whatever works for you, suits us just fine!  Same reason my week starts on Mondays with regards to NF challenges.  You do you!

• Like 4

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

4 hours ago, Keladris said:

I found one week I didn't lose any and the next week I lost double, could be you're body is just adjusting/catching up.

I reweighed this morning and I'm down 100g from last weeks weigh-in.

My sister pointed out that this may have been a consequence of having the fish and chips and pizza the week before last >.>

• Like 2

Level 1 Adventurer

Quest for Adventure

Took the road less traveled. Now lost.

2 hours ago, pureleeawesome said:

I reweighed this morning and I'm down 100g from last weeks weigh-in.

My sister pointed out that this may have been a consequence of having the fish and chips and pizza the week before last >.>

Salty foods like pizza cause me to gain water weight for a day or two. Oddly, so do anti inflammatories. If I take an advil or Tylenol I'll be up by a pound the following day.   As @Rurik Harrgathsaid, don't put too much stock in one day's weight.

• Like 2

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

40 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Salty foods like pizza cause me to gain water weight for a day or two. Oddly, so do anti inflammatories. If I take an advil or Tylenol I'll be up by a pound the following day.   As @Rurik Harrgathsaid, don't put too much stock in one day's weight.

Huh, that's interesting. I wonder what causes that?

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Still at 94.9kg after today's weigh-in, same as last week. Not worried though 1) because I stepped on the scale out of curiosity a couple of days ago and was lower than that and 2) that's still -2kg from my starting weight and it's week three, meaning I was expected to be at -1.5kg by now, so I'm still ahead. Still, this is a reminder to double down on my efforts, as I'm clearly hitting some sort of plateau.

• Like 7

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (6)🍳🍳🍳🍳Fitness (1)💪,  Gourmet Cooking (2)👨‍🍳👨‍🍳, Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1),  Video Gaming (3), Wellness (1)💆‍♂️

I weighed in at 69,7 kg this morning.

That's fine. 300 grams less than my weigh in a week ago.

I am a lot happier with the food habit creation and the fact I am finding better ways to cope with... Life stuff than snacking (and I have got to admit, the meal SIZES(*) I have been eating these past 2 years went up more than I ever ate per meal before 2018).

Let's see how I do as the responsibilities pile back on. (I have had the opportunity to take some months and simply figure things out, e.g. do career coaching, read and so on, next to sort-of-working on my master's thesis.) Onwards and upwards (success wise, not weight wise 😇).

It's great to walk along side you all!

(*) EDIT: and by this I mean, I increased the size of carb heavy meals like lots of rice or patatoes without increasing exercise or so.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 2

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

I weighed in at 210.6 the other day (out of compelling curiosity), and at 211.4 today. Definitely trending downward, despite not the strictest compliance both nutritionally and exercisely, but I'm certainly doing something right and happy to be creeping closer to those 200s which is only a hop and a step away from the 190s! 😁

Keep up the good work and the hustle, folks!

• Like 7

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

205.6 on the scale this morning. That's down almost another 3lb.

For the most part, I'm really happy with how I ~feel~ during the day while I'm on this regimen. I'm not tired or lethargic. Yesterday I was pretty hangry but instead of eating junk, my treat was fish tacos. It's nice when "treat" means "not a nutritional apocalypse".

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

Rebel Scum Current Challenge

I'm down 0.9 lbs this week, for 1.7 lbs so far.  The change this past week was avoiding sugar (cutting out most snacking and upgrading my breakfast from granola with yogurt to fruit/oatmeal with yogurt).  I'm surprised and pleased that it made a difference because I'm not specifically calorie restricting.  We'll see how next week goes. 

I had to add my afternoon snack back in to keep my mood from tanking, but keeping it healthy.  You know, just between the granola and the Clif bars, that might be most of my weight gain over the past year.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 3

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

Pretty much just maintained this week. I'm a bit discouraged I think my plan will be to set my calorie goal at a set amount regardless of exercise. And no dessert during the week

• Like 4

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Down 0.9 lb from last week, so just about on track.

I've used the Happy Scale app for a few years now to iron out the daily fluctuations. I'm using the averages in the spreadsheet rather than the actual weigh in. But I just noticed that the equation revises daily averages retroactively, so my last week weigh-in average is different in the app than I logged in the spreadsheet. Weird, but I'm just going to roll with it. 

• Like 4

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

Hmmmm, I thought the chemist would be closed because it’s a public holiday, but saw it was open when we went down to get groceries and bevvies (fear not fellow dry-janners, I have chosen something but not partaken). So I stepped on the judgement machine without ‘emptying the tank’ so to speak, in that I had already had a breakfast smoothie, a coffee, probably a litre of water, done my bench workout and still hadn’t visited the loo, so not terribly disappointed in seeing 90.4.

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 3

You are all so inspiring 😊

I feel like that datapoint right at the origin of an XY graph. Have been meandering around always within a pound of starting weight. That checks out because if I’m honest, I haven’t been hitting deficit at all (I think. The wheels fall off for tracking food in MFP by late afternoon).  I know they say if something you’re doing isn’t working, to try something else, but I’m not sure if I can count CICO as something I’ve been ‘doing’ given my half assery!

Over the last week or so my ‘workouts’ have been pretty half-assed too... just a fair bit of moderate pace walking. I did beat the kettlebell big boss in the app, and when I was doing that quest I loved the way my muscles would feel, just low grade burning the day after a workout. So until I figure out my next workout plan I think I’ll get back into the habit of 20 kb swings each minute on the minute for 10 min.

Did do a big meal prep yesterday (deconstructed cabbage rolls for DAYS y’all) so I have that going for me. And dry January is going SUPER SOLIDLY. For that one, I have my hubby on board which makes a ton of difference. Maybe I should just enlist him to hold me accountable for late night snacking or mindlessly eating without tracking? Would that totally kill the romance in a relationship?? 

• Like 3

^^^ that all sounds more discouraged than I actually feel. I would feel worse if I really WERE killing it in terms of workout and diet and still not losing fat. As it is, I’m pretty sure if I can change my brain and behaviour I can change my body comp. 🤔

ETA All right, I’m committing to not snacking after dinner this week. Will report back here on the reg to keep myself accountable.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, TiogaGirl said:

Did do a big meal prep yesterday (deconstructed cabbage rolls for DAYS y’all) so I have that going for me. And dry January is going SUPER SOLIDLY. For that one, I have my hubby on board which makes a ton of difference. Maybe I should just enlist him to hold me accountable for late night snacking or mindlessly eating without tracking? Would that totally kill the romance in a relationship?? 

I think you should do this. My wife is not on board with this OR dry january. Still i mentioned to her i wanted to do this. And it makes a lot of difference for me that she knows. Even though she just drinks her pretty regular glass of wine (well, she does live with me, so i guess it figures) and eats cookies and chocolate in the evening. But it are the little things, like not asking what i want, not bringing extra from the kitchen. Not asking if i want a beer, just asking if i want something to drink without her specifying that she is having a wine. Even those small things make it easier on me.

Therefore i say let him know you want to do this, and that he is free to help in his own way.

• Like 8

... a little odd in the head ...

5 hours ago, TiogaGirl said:

First of all, those deconstructed cabbage rolls are a brilliant idea!

Secondly, accountability starting at home is such a wonderful foundation to start from.  I was seriously considering splurging on a nutrition coach for a few months just to get my dialed in and accountable to an external source since my internal accountability is generally weak, but aftering talking it over at home (my lady is a coach after all) and even thoughI felt like it might feel odd asking her to extend her coach duties toward me, her partner, we basically decided to dial up accountability to each other for a couple of weeks and see how that goes before making any financial commitments to an outside program.

We're friends on MFP and I promised to be 110% brutally honest with tracking, we're allowed to get bossy with bedtimes/mornings, getting workouts in, and eating together and well.  So I'm feeling very good with that because past relationships had zero lifestyle accountability and nothing feels worse than swimming against the current at home!

• Like 6

On 1/24/2021 at 7:44 PM, Kestrel Grey said:

On 1/24/2021 at 8:25 PM, Elastigirl said:

Huh, that's interesting. I wonder what causes that?

Popping in here quick! (Sorry,  I LOVE this aspect of nutrition haha)

When you eat a carbohydrate, your body stores extra water - any energy we don't use right away is stored in our muscles as glycogen. 

One gram of glycogen = 3g water

So if you normally don't eat any carbs, and eat 100g of carbs, and then sit on the couch and do nothing (expend no energy), you could, in theory, gain 300g of water weight. 

None of this is fat, of course - it has a lot to do with why you'll lose a ton of water weight on a low carb diet the first week or two. In addition, a lot of athletes really like higher carb because it gives you the glycogen storage in your muscles, and your muscles being hydrated is a good thing for performance (your muscles don't hydrate from just drinking water alone). 

Salt also causes water retention - so similar here!

Some people see water retention as a side effect of Advil, because there's salt retention related to that. I'm not a doctor, so don't understand it completely, but it is a thing

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Posting a day late, but I did take my measurements yesterday.  My waist stayed the same, and I am down half a pound.  That's...not much.  Better than nothing I guess, but still. :(  And, yesterday I was a bottomless pit, and went way over my calorie goal for the day.  Still trying to figure out if it's some sort of reaction to actually having lost a bit of weight or if it's something about having overnight oats for breakfast.  As expected, though, I seem to be doing my usual stuck in place with a tiny bit of fluctuation.  *sigh* 

• Like 4

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

Last week went well.  I'm down 1.6 pounds which catches me up a bit from the week before.  I'm right where I wanted to be.  Even better, I was happy with the modified meal plan and it required less batch cooking than what I was previously doing.  This week however, is starting off a little rough.  But it's time to buckle down and work for another good week.  

• Like 3

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

18 minutes ago, Elennare said:

I am down half a pound.  That's...not much.  Better than nothing I guess, but still.

You could also be half a pound up. Which also isn't a lot but together it's a full pound difference!

It's not a sprint it's a marathon, and at least you didn't stray further from the goal!

• Like 5

... a little odd in the head ...

8 hours ago, spezzy said:

Some people see water retention as a side effect of Advil, because there's salt retention related to that. I'm not a doctor, so don't understand it completely, but it is a thing

Interesting!  I'm a biochemistry major but that was a long time ago, if I learned this I'd forgotten. 

• Like 3

― Neil Gaiman

20 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

I think you should do this. My wife is not on board with this OR dry january. Still i mentioned to her i wanted to do this. And it makes a lot of difference for me that she knows. Even though she just drinks her pretty regular glass of wine (well, she does live with me, so i guess it figures) and eats cookies and chocolate in the evening. But it are the little things, like not asking what i want, not bringing extra from the kitchen. Not asking if i want a beer, just asking if i want something to drink without her specifying that she is having a wine. Even those small things make it easier on me.

Therefore i say let him know you want to do this, and that he is free to help in his own way.

18 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Secondly, accountability starting at home is such a wonderful foundation to start from.  I was seriously considering splurging on a nutrition coach for a few months just to get my dialed in and accountable to an external source since my internal accountability is generally weak, but aftering talking it over at home (my lady is a coach after all) and even thoughI felt like it might feel odd asking her to extend her coach duties toward me, her partner, we basically decided to dial up accountability to each other for a couple of weeks and see how that goes before making any financial commitments to an outside program.

We're friends on MFP and I promised to be 110% brutally honest with tracking, we're allowed to get bossy with bedtimes/mornings, getting workouts in, and eating together and well.  So I'm feeling very good with that because past relationships had zero lifestyle accountability and nothing feels worse than swimming against the current at home!

Thanks so much for this advice!!!  I casually asked hubs to help hold me accountable for no snacking after dinner and IT WORKED! Well, it worked in that for the first time in *mumble mumble* months I just didn’t eat after dinner. So his job was pretty easy (he ended up not having to issue a smack down at all!)

I don’t know why I had kind of a mental block about asking him for help about that... like it would dispel the illusion that I am just naturally and effortlessly willowy and lithe and hot. I mean— I am not self conscious about him knowing that I work out (good thing bc now that gyms are closed the kitchen doubles as my home gym!! ) 

Very positive scale feedback this morning - which I realize is probably some random daily noise but supernice to see anyway! 

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 2

A couple days late, I weighed myself Monday morning and have gained a pound. 

However this is the first week I have done more than a day of exercise outside of work. 

Hitting day 6 for a streak. 

And my stretch marks are popping up on my belly that some bloating is disappearing (for me I swear my skin is very transparent on the amount by how much my stretch marks can change...). 
I think also over the weekend I ended up  adding water weight with a bag of chocolate chips and upping my sodioum with pre-cooked hot dogs. 

Working on trouble shooting my fitness rate, that doing a good warm up and stretch with a workout has been helping with issues with a hip I've had. 

For the first time on my own fitness journey of Januay I have been feeling in control of "if I can't do it, at least I got my heart pumping with a warm up and a muscles a good stretch". 

Hope I can keep this up, even if I don't lose 5-10 lbs I can get my heart stronger. 

• Like 7