Anim: 70 Maxims Pt1

Anim07734

I've decided to start off the new year with an ongoing theme from my favorite webcomic (it ran for 20 years, the art gets better, the characters and story are good throughout😞 the 70 Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries.  I'll be using selected Maxims to explain my goals and keep things entertaining.  I don't expect to get to all of them, and may reuse some of the more applicable ones.  But they all have their own wisdom.

Maxim 1: Pillage, then Burn.

merciless louise belcher GIF by Bob's Burgers

For my context, this means doing things in the right order, not getting bored or frustrated and skipping ahead.  I'm back at the beginnings of habit building, so I need to stick to that.  Do something that gets me moving and active at least once a day and watch my eating/snacking.  Next steps will come later.

Maxim 14: "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the Worst Thing that could happen?"

bill nye GIF

For anyone new to my challenges, I always have a couple dozen projects in various stages of "I'll get back to it later" that I swap between as interest and energy allow.  This goal is going to focus on actually finishing some of them, and cleaning up afterwards so I can get to other, more important ones.  The specific Maxim is only peripherally related, so I'll probably keep the goal but change the Maxim in later challenges.

My current priorities are:

-Work on attic insulation while I'm on vacation next week and it's actually cool enough out to be in the attic (yay, Florida!)

-Finish fixing the fiancee's treasure box that I broke a year ago

-Finish my current woodworking projects (dragon egg box and ribbon/tulle racks)

-Finish miniature painting (circle stones and lizardman tribe)

-Work on my wedding outfit (finish the shirt and tabard, decide on pants)

-Work on my dragonman knight armor (custom character that may become a Charizard in one rendition) and my Mad Max/Nintendo mashup Diddy Kong jetpack

Maxim 70: Failure isn't an Option.  It's Mandatory.  The Option is whether or not to let Failure Be the Last Thing You Do.

Fail The Simpsons GIF

This is my favorite of the Maxims, for many reasons.  In the current context, it's a reminder to keep working even when I make mistakes or things go wrong.  So I need to quit kicking myself for falling off the fitness wagon, and focus on my current goal: getting into shape so I can be the best version of myself for my fiancee, and move comfortably in costume when conventions start up again.

Well I think that does it for now.  Obligatory plug for the new Artificer's Crafthall over in the adventuring parties.  I'll post an update when I figure out what I'm forgetting. :P

• Like 4

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

I really like your goals and the way you put them together. I'm also about to archive binge that webcomic.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

20 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I really like your goals and the way you put them together. I'm also about to archive binge that webcomic.

Just be aware, there's a lot of it.  It ran daily for just over 20 years, never missing an update.  The author is currently taking a much needed break and focusing on getting the last 5 books ready to publish, but at some point he expects to come back and start telling new stories with new characters in the same universe.

My weigh-in this morning has me at 174lb with a 37.325in waist, so only 1/8in down from last week when I'm trying to cut 1/4+ weekly.  I've also been battling a sinus headache all day, so part of it could just be general ickiness.  I'm going to focus on making sure I move more this week, since I was fairly good about not snacking and see if that helps.

• Like 3

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

23 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

Maxim 70: Failure isn't an Option.  It's Mandatory.  The Option is whether or not to let Failure Be the Last Thing You Do.

Ooh, I like this! Fear of failure holds me back from so much.

2 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

Just be aware, there's a lot of it.  It ran daily for just over 20 years, never missing an update.

Carefully, he's a hero - Album on Imgur

• Like 2

Level 1 Adventurer

Quest for Adventure

Took the road less traveled. Now lost.

On 12/28/2020 at 7:38 PM, Anim07734 said:

I've also been battling a sinus headache all day, so part of it could just be general ickiness.  I'm going to focus on making sure I move more this week, since I was fairly good about not snacking and see if that helps.

Boo, hope you feel better today. Following, of course. :) Love the maxims, and am now working my way through the archives of your comic. 

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

On 12/27/2020 at 10:46 PM, Anim07734 said:

For anyone new to my challenges, I always have a couple dozen projects in various stages of "I'll get back to it later" that I swap between as interest and energy allow.  This goal is going to focus on actually finishing some of them, and cleaning up afterwards so I can get to other, more important ones. 

This is awesome. I've been doing a similar thing, hoping it will clear some physical and mental space for future endeavors. And you have so many interesting projects on the go, too! So I guess, here to vicariously enjoy your crafting.

• Like 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  

When I started knitting many years ago I was a  serial starter of new projects. At one point I started requiring myself to finish a project before I could start the next one. That really helped, as the desire to start a new project comes during that doldrums middle part of the project where you've solved the big issues and haven't yet gotten to where you can see the end. By knowing I can't start whatever new and shiny thing is catching my fancy it allows me to power through those doldrums. Once I instituted that, I started fewer projects, but finished all of them.

I tried to do the same thing when I started woodworking, but there are a lot of times you are waiting for glue to dry on one thing, so I have changed it to allow for two projects in flight so I can do some things that are parallelizable.

Might I suggest having a priority list and not allowing yourself to start the next thing until the current thing is "finished"

• Like 2

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

2 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

Might I suggest having a priority list and not allowing yourself to start the next thing until the current thing is "finished"

That's my basic plan, but I also have to account for the fact that if I don't have a project I currently want to work on, I just won't work on any of them.  So I'll always have a list of 5 or 6 to pick from, but I'm not putting a new one on the list until I've finished one currently there.

I also don't get to pick all of my projects, or their priority.  I spent all day yesterday installing a new bathroom fan for a friend, so she can hopefully quit scrubbing mildew constantly.  Had to cut the hole, install the fan, and wire everything in, while crawling through fiberglass in an attic that makes mine look spacious.  But it's done and everything was working when I left.  Before that, my fiancee had the amazing idea to add more storage crate shelves in the den (where we actually work) instead of keeping everything in the craftroom (where we can't currently walk).  But of course the shelves we liked would have blocked the light switch, so I cut one down to a better size, and finished mounting them together and to the wall this afternoon.

IMG_20201231_173513448

Hoping to get back to my regularly scheduled projects tonight or tomorrow, depending on energy level and residual soreness from yesterday.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

I also don't get to pick all of my projects, or their priority.  I spent all day yesterday installing a new bathroom fan for a friend, so she can hopefully quit scrubbing mildew constantly.  Had to cut the hole, install the fan, and wire everything in, while crawling through fiberglass in an attic that makes mine look spacious.  But it's done and everything was working when I left.  Before that, my fiancee had the amazing idea to add more storage crate shelves in the den (where we actually work) instead of keeping everything in the craftroom (where we can't currently walk).  But of course the shelves we liked would have blocked the light switch, so I cut one down to a better size, and finished mounting them together and to the wall this afternoon.

That was nice of you! Want to come up to MD and do the same for us? :) Nice job on the shelves, and that should make crafting a bit easier, or at least less back and forthing. 

Happy new year, by the way. May this one suck less than the last one, (especially since there's a wedding planned)!

3 hours ago, Manarelle said:

That was nice of you! Want to come up to MD and do the same for us? :) 

Not particularly, though I probably wouldn't have to worry about overheating like I did working on hers (even in winter, it's still Florida...).  I can try to come up with a parts list, to reduce your hardware store trips though. ;)

Happy new year to you as well.  I'm not sure what it's going to bring, but I intend to have a good one (even if the wedding is the only highlight).

Did my weigh-in this morning and while I don't seem to have lost any significant weight (down maybe a pound), I have cut a full inch off my waist since I started tracking last month!  So the goal this week is to stick with it, and maybe focus a little more on movement.

• Like 4

On 1/4/2021 at 12:58 PM, Anim07734 said:

Did my weigh-in this morning and while I don't seem to have lost any significant weight (down maybe a pound), I have cut a full inch off my waist since I started tracking last month!  So the goal this week is to stick with it, and maybe focus a little more on movement.

Hey hey, congrats on the progress, hat is not an insignificant amount. 

• Thanks 1

Apparently I was so focused on getting the mini updated on time that I forgot to post my own updates.

I didn't accomplish much during the week, since everything going on drained all energy and motivation, but I did make an effort to check some stuff off my list this weekend.  The ribbon/tulle racks are finished and installed, so now I'm waiting for the fiancee to decide if she likes them or not (her only input so far was " You know I've got more than 20 rolls, right?" :P ).  I also have the exterior of the new treasure box done, but still need to figure out how to do the interior to hold her dragon eggs (I've got ideas, but need to actually go do it).

Then my PC decided to overheat again and I decided I was tired of dealing with that and took the Lego case apart so I could rebuild it with some extra fans I ordered when it started overheating last year.  I took the opportunity to make some changes I've been thinking about, like adding extra USBs, moving the power lights so I can see them without standing out, and adding an access panel instead of having to completely tear it apart to work on it.  After spending all day on it, I'm most of the way done, but need to take a break to rest my eyes and back.

I'll try to get pictures later this week, but I didn't want to wait on them and miss another week. :P

• Like 3

Last week was a pretty tough year.

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

11 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Last week was a pretty tough year.

tenor.gif

11 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

her only input so far was " You know I've got more than 20 rolls, right?" :P )

Ha ha ha, oh man, I'm sorry. That's frustrating, for sure, but congrats on getting those 20 spaces done. 

You have an actual computer case built out of Legos? Just when I thought you couldn't get any cooler.... (though apparently your case can, badum tss!). 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Ha ha ha, oh man, I'm sorry. That's frustrating, for sure, but congrats on getting those 20 spaces done. 

You have an actual computer case built out of Legos? Just when I thought you couldn't get any cooler.... (though apparently your case can, badum tss!). 

She said it as a joke, so I'm not really frustrated or anything.  I made this as an initial "is this even something we want?" project, so if she decides she likes it, I can make as many more as she wants.  My only real concern atm is that they aren't structural, so using them to open/close the closet might become an issue.

IMG_20210111_095547590

This is my original Lego tower, protected by it's battlemage avatar, Enki (named for the Sumerian god of intelligence, magic, and creation):

IMAG0199

I'm not liking the new one as much, it's too square, where the first felt more organic.  Plus I used too many of the good, structural pieces at the bottom and am having trouble finishing the top.  I'll probably take most of it apart this weekend and try again.  I think it took me 4 or 5 tries to get the first one where I wanted it.

And bonus turtle pic, because:

IMG_20210102_155309821

Caught her exploring after we cleaned and reorganized her tank New Year's weekend.

• Like 2

Morning weigh in has me up another half pound and down another 1/8 inch, so no idea what's going on.  I thought I was doing well with snacking and movement, though I did have a big dinner last night, so that could be part of it.  Going to focus on drinking more water this week and see if that helps.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 12:54 PM, Anim07734 said:

Morning weigh in has me up another half pound and down another 1/8 inch, so no idea what's going on.  I thought I was doing well with snacking and movement, though I did have a big dinner last night, so that could be part of it.  Going to focus on drinking more water this week and see if that helps.

Maybe you're one of those who puts on muscle REALLY fast? Given the option would you prefer the scale or the measuring tape go down?

3 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Maybe you're one of those who puts on muscle REALLY fast? Given the option would you prefer the scale or the measuring tape go down?

I know from past experience that I don't build muscle easily, since I'm a pretty classic ectomorph.  But this is rebuilding muscle I used to have, which is generally faster than building new-new muscle.  So 🤷‍♀️

I'm far more concerned with my waist measurement than my weight, so as long as that keeps going down, I'm good.  I know once I cut my waist enough, my weight will start going down too and make my pullups easier.  I am trying  for 1/4-3/8in drop a week to meet my goal of getting back to a 30in waist for my wedding, though.  So I'll keep tweaking my diet to get there.  This week, I'm moving towards an almost IF meal plan where I skip breakfast and push lunch until noon-ish, then try to have a more filling dessert/snack around 9 or 10 instead of just munching whatever's on hand.  I'm also trying to add more veggies back into my diet, which always helps with making things more filling for lower calories.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 2:30 PM, Anim07734 said:

I know from past experience that I don't build muscle easily, since I'm a pretty classic ectomorph.  But this is rebuilding muscle I used to have, which is generally faster than building new-new muscle.  So 🤷‍♀️

Bodies.... they just never cooperate, do they? How's the near-IF working for you? 

13 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Bodies.... they just never cooperate, do they? How's the near-IF working for you? 

They never seem to willingly...

My near-IF was going well, but then I wasn't hungry Thursday night and skipped my snack/desert.  Which meant I woke up hungry Friday and spent all day fighting the urge to eat all of the things, with only partial success.  I was almost back on track yesterday, but then got caught up in the chapter finale of our Vampire game, and didn't realize it was 1am and I was hungry until it ended.  Fortunately, I'm not hungry this morning, so I'm going to see how I feel when lunch rolls around.  My weigh in is tomorrow, so we'll see if this did anything noticeable.

Our Vampire game took a surprising twist.  This chapter has been about tracking down and stopping a group selling blood-infused drugs to avoid a Masquerade breach that could put every vampire in the the city at risk.  We went into the session with goals ranging from killing the guys (me)  to running them out of town (the hippie pacifist).  But we ended it by convincing the Baron that they were just ignorant kids who deserved a second chance (they're all thin-blood vampires who were never taught the rules of vampire society), and now we have minions to teach and put to use.  My philosopher-soldier anarchist has taken in the guy who was masterminding their drug operation, and after cleaning him up and teaching him some etiquette has him helping with commissions at his high-end bookstore.  Because just because you're fighting "the man" doesn't mean you can't wear a suit and turn the rules to your favor.  The hippie is working to setup their cook with a more customer friendly operation in keeping with his own "drugs are there to help you deal with life, and we're providing that service" business model and the ex-mafioso is flipping their enforcer to help him keep the more dangerous criminal elements out of our territory.  None of us were expecting this turn of events, but we're all pretty happy with it.

• Like 1

Ugg, I've been mildly stressed from work and life for a week now and it's affecting my (already finicky) sleep schedule, which is making it difficult to get measurements this week.  I tried yesterday and today and the best I can tell is that I'm somewhere within 1lb and a 1/4in of last week, but not which direction.  So I'm calling it for this week, going to try getting my sleep under control and try again next week.

I did get assigned a new project, building more shelves for the craftroom.  These ones will hold the fiancee's plastic storage drawers, so they can be usable again instead of collapsing under the stuff that keeps getting stacked on top.  It's also helping with my "move more" goal, as I spent a couple hours Saturday getting plywood from the store and cutting it to size and another couple yesterday sanding everything.  Tonight should be assembly prep and gluing up the first one, assuming I can work up the motivation to go buy more clamps (you can never have enough clamps, and I always seem to need more).

• Like 2

:( Sorry to hear your sleep is wonky; that affects pretty much everything. 

You guys are going to be living in a house full of shelves soon! Which is definitely not a bad thing - much  nicer than a house full of piles, and I'm somewhat jealous since we're still renting and can't do home improvements like that. Agree on the clamps, especially with all the woodworking you do. Hope the week ends on an easier note for you. 

• Thanks 1

I got measurements this morning, but I'm only down a 1/2in in January.  I need an inch a month to hit my August goals, but at least I'm still cutting.  I know I'm not being consistent with my eating, so I need to focus more on that.  Going to take some work to build a new system that's sustainable and works for me and my fiancee.  (I tried adding veggies to my spaghetti sauce when I cooked last week, and even picking them out of her bowl, she didn't like it.)

My movement goals last week were met by working on my new shelves/cabinets.  I did have more "lazy" days than I'd like, so I'm also going to be focusing on that this week.

Progress pics on the woodworking:

IMG_20210126_191836907 IMG_20210128_211839744 IMG_20210130_123335694

I've also added feet to the bottom, so I can put felt pads on to avoid scratching my floors.  They're now waiting to be cleaned up and have all the dust wiped off so I can start stain and poly as soon as I get a day that's both warm and dry enough.  Hopefully, Wednesday or Thursday before it starts raining for the weekend.

My other big project is over in the Artificers Crafthall, for anyone not following that thread.

• Like 2

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines