Cry Havoc™: Bladesong of the Warhawk

25 minutes ago, Kishi said:

As to Ali v Lee, the only thing I'll say is that Ali was an athlete and Lee was an actor. I can give a pretty deep dive on the distinctions and the history of both for fandom reasons

I think that was part of Lee's assessment. Not only was Ali stronger and heavier, he was incredibly fast, and worked extremely hard to get there.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

4 hours ago, Amazon Ninja said:

It's hilarious but as always Bruce Lee was soooo cool! Here's a clip:

Plus who can't love Muhammad Ali!!

To be fair, Bruce Lee is the originator of my favorite quote/guiding principle of all time, "Be water, my friend."

And I did enjoy the Ali movie back in its day.

So it's not that I'm vehemently opposed either, just that neither falls into any category of enthusiasm from my camp.  ;) 

3 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

What is preventing you from doing the yoga? Time commitment? Mental hurdle? Something else?

Some combination thereof?  Honestly I'm just not a big fan of activity at all.  Even though I know yoga is good for me, and I need the flexibility work, and I want to share its healing strengths with others, I would still just rather be doing anything else.  All along, actually, my forays into exercise stemmed around 'the ends justify the means' in that my goals outweighed the misery of pursuing them (read: I don't wanna be obese so sometimes I exercise).  However, the older I get, poor sleeping/general posture is catching up wioth me, causing more and more discomfort to the point where that yoga is going to become essential to my Non-negotiable, Unalterable Term of living pain free.

Step one: schedule it in, I suppose?  Even if it's just thrice weekly, fifteen minutes per day.  At least then it won't feel so easy to slough off.

2 hours ago, Kishi said:

And honestly? If I hadn't been inoculated against lameness by Karate, I'd probably find boxing to be pretty lame too.

Well, and it's more complicated than that, too. Fighting's a business as well as a... condition... and frankly in the case of McGregor v Mayweather, that fight was never going to happen unless Mayweather knew he was going to win. (which isn't to knock his skill; he's good at managing the ring and his defense to my understanding is very, very good).

As to Ali v Lee, the only thing I'll say is that Ali was an athlete and Lee was an actor. I can give a pretty deep dive on the distinctions and the history of both for fandom reasons

but I also want to make and keep friends, and I don't want to be That Guy. 😅

I think we can be friends solely by virtue of your being passionate enough to explain the distinctions 🤓

Alas my initiation into martial arts was ~6 months of Isshinryu Karate, which I've seen learned is lame even by karate standards.  It's a wonder I even stuck it out that long because, I'm remembering, it was lame AF.  Then I dabbled in Judo for a couple of months, and really enjoyed it, but the instructors were competition focused and barely gave newbies a shred of attention so I quickly fell off.  Then I tried an MMA joint years later and all they wanted to do was roll BJJ-style and tap each other out - again, no instruction to newbies.

Thank goodness I found my Muay Thai instructor.  Sadly gyms are still closed but that was still a eureka moment for me!  Even bigger than CrossFit was, I think.

Agreed on the terms of that fight.  I do respect how much McGregor held his own, but no one actually expected he'd end that.  My understanding is that Mayweather is one of the most technically proficient defensive boxers of all time... which I find extraordinarily boring too.  🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I think that was part of Lee's assessment. Not only was Ali stronger and heavier, he was incredibly fast, and worked extremely hard to get there.

The more we talk about it, the more I kind of want to see it happen.  Maybe in a dream 🤣

• Like 6

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

21 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Some combination thereof?  Honestly I'm just not a big fan of activity at all.  Even though I know yoga is good for me, and I need the flexibility work, and I want to share its healing strengths with others, I would still just rather be doing anything else.  All along, actually, my forays into exercise stemmed around 'the ends justify the means' in that my goals outweighed the misery of pursuing them (read: I don't wanna be obese so sometimes I exercise).  However, the older I get, poor sleeping/general posture is catching up wioth me, causing more and more discomfort to the point where that yoga is going to become essential to my Non-negotiable, Unalterable Term of living pain free.

Step one: schedule it in, I suppose?  Even if it's just thrice weekly, fifteen minutes per day.  At least then it won't feel so easy to slough off.

I like scheduling it in :)

Another idea is to maybe find some 5-10 minute flows and try to do them first thing in the morning (or before bed, or whenever makes sense). And that way it's something so easy that you have to be embarrassed to skip it.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

4 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

I like scheduling it in :)

Another idea is to maybe find some 5-10 minute flows and try to do them first thing in the morning (or before bed, or whenever makes sense). And that way it's something so easy that you have to be embarrassed to skip it.  

I used my free Downward Dog app membership and did the thing. B) 

I Did the thing! - ALL THE THING | Meme Generator

And I feel infinitely better for it too!

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 4

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

Challenges:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

23 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Awesome! I love the way yoga makes my muscles feel. Definitely helps negate that I really need to work on my posture when sitting at my desk...

What do you think of the Downward Dog app?

• Like 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice)

Current Stats: STR 10 || DEX 11 || CON 11 || INT 15 || WIS 16 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

On 1/19/2021 at 6:29 AM, Rurik Harrgath said:

Thank goodness I found my Muay Thai instructor.  Sadly gyms are still closed but that was still a eureka moment for me!  Even bigger than CrossFit was, I think.

Further proof of the "Same person, different timeline" theory.

Also, a Lawrence Kenshin video and Ali dodging? This has to be shared

• Like 2

Lvl 45 Ranger

HEY! DO YOU LIKE CHEESE?

Started shadowing to learn how to be a trainer at the job this week, so I'm double-dipping as installer and trainer-trainee, leaving my Mana running a bit low for a proper update.  Still doing the things, eating the stuffs, and occasionally working the outs.  Update when I have the battery capacity!

On 1/20/2021 at 7:36 PM, Aquarii said:

Awesome! I love the way yoga makes my muscles feel. Definitely helps negate that I really need to work on my posture when sitting at my desk...

What do you think of the Downward Dog app?

During our morning walk today I determined that a short yoga flow should be part of my morning wakeup routine.  Only 5 mins or so, just to get the blood flowing and my

creaky old man joints moving, but 5 mins in the morning and a longer flow in the afternoon or before bed is going to be my moderate-term goal, I think.

I'll admit I don't have much (read: any) experience with other apps, Downward Dog being an Instagram add if I remember correctly, but it's been treating me well for a year now.  They gave me 9 months free for being a first responder while I worked at the jail, and continued it into a dirt-cheap discount now that I'm non-essential, so it was hard to object to their terms.  I think the big wins for me are the 'Boost' where you can select a particular focus on a body location (during the summer I was working on hamstrings and lower back, now opening up my chest and shoulders), the completely variable timeframe, and the 6+ variety of flow styles.  It's just so customizable that I can plug in whatever details I want and then it'll spit out my flow for the day.

So while it isn't quite so forced-adaptable as a YouTube video or something like Yoga With Adriene can be, my having to adapt to and follow along with their flow, it is quite a bit more flexible for most of my uses overall.  Definitely worth a trial if you can!

13 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Further proof of the "Same person, different timeline" theory.

Also, a Lawrence Kenshin video and Ali dodging? This has to be shared

I will be the first one to admit the 'irrational' in my 'irrational hate' for defensive style boxing/Muah Thai is exactly that (looking at you, Mayweather) but this video actually rerouted my thoughts a bit there... even though it isn't nearly so flashy nor flamboyant, it's decidedly methodical and equally as brutal.  Thank you for that share!  It's been added to my inspo playlist.

Here's my related-but-not-related reply, just a video I particularly enjoy style-wise.  I definitely train with a mind to have an aesthetically pleasant technique, whether from Muay Thai to gymnastics to kettlebells.  I don't just want to do the thing, I want to do the thing right and I want to do the thing  pretty too!   ;) 

• Like 5

Conserve that mana and let it refill as it can. We all know you are doing your best and believe in you.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 1/22/2021 at 5:45 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Conserve that mana and let it refill as it can. We all know you are doing your best and believe in you.

I think I preferred lockdown quite a bit more than Darth Real Life right now.  Someone I went from telling one manager that I wanted to stay on as only an on-call installer until Spezzy heads home for a bit next month, to someone shadowing a training class, to being voluntold to be a trainer/assistant manager and needing to spend 3+ days in the next city over with the owner learning my new role, all the while trying to keep my own office here together with 4 brand new recruits who need supplies and guidance and 2 veterans on the verge of abandoning ship without a gentle hand to motivate them 👀 oh and I have to buy a laptop now, when I still haven't had a paycheck since mid-November 🤣

One bright note, at least my weight loss goals are miraculously still on track somehow!  🤷‍♂️

That Works GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 5

Yikes! When it rains it pours.

4 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

I think I preferred lockdown quite a bit more than Darth Real Life right now.  Someone I went from telling one manager that I wanted to stay on as only an on-call installer until Spezzy heads home for a bit next month, to someone shadowing a training class, to being voluntold to be a trainer/assistant manager and needing to spend 3+ days in the next city over with the owner learning my new role, all the while trying to keep my own office here together with 4 brand new recruits who need supplies and guidance and 2 veterans on the verge of abandoning ship without a gentle hand to motivate them 👀 oh and I have to buy a laptop now, when I still haven't had a paycheck since mid-November 🤣

IFICOULDSTOP PLAYING LIFE ON HARD-MODE THATD BE GREAT HEMEFULCOH | Life Meme  on ME.ME

I feel you though. I found myself in a situation of going from 0 to 100 at work and it was a few weeks of feeling like I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

And congrats on the weight loss. Way to keep that going on top of all you have going on!

• Like 1

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

On 1/19/2021 at 10:25 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

yay! Good job for doing the thing!

On 1/24/2021 at 12:19 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

oh and I have to buy a laptop now, when I still haven't had a paycheck since mid-November 🤣

emmmm what?

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

On 1/18/2021 at 11:29 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

I think we can be friends solely by virtue of your being passionate enough to explain the distinctions 🤓

Season 3 Thank You GIF by The Office

Alas my initiation into martial arts was ~6 months of Isshinryu Karate, which I've seen learned is lame even by karate standards.  It's a wonder I even stuck it out that long because, I'm remembering, it was lame AF.  Then I dabbled in Judo for a couple of months, and really enjoyed it, but the instructors were competition focused and barely gave newbies a shred of attention so I quickly fell off.  Then I tried an MMA joint years later and all they wanted to do was roll BJJ-style and tap each other out - again, no instruction to newbies.

Tssh, yeah, that's a lame one. I'm a Shotokan guy myself, or was until my instructor and I fell out. I was pretty close to getting a Shodan after ~10 years or so, so losing out on that opportunity sucked, but in the long run it actually worked out better for me to pursue BJJ and just be a wandering bum in terms of my kickboxing. I've played rough with some Kyokushin-ish folk before and gave 'em pretty good, but then, I also got beat by a white belt in tourney, so. It seems I'll never really have any accomplishments to stand on in this field of endeavor that I love so much. XD

The judo experience doesn't surprise me - it's kind of a cult, and the selective pressures from the IOC really don't help that.

The BJJ experience also doesn't surprise me much. Like, it seems that broadly there are either competitive schools or schools that compete, if you catch my meaning, and if you get the former when you're looking for the latter, it's Not A Good Time. Can't blame you for not sticking that out.

Yeah, nah, that's good except for the timing of the COVID. Still, FWIW, I have the feeling that your CrossFit and Muay Thai might come to complement each other a lot. My understanding is there's a lot of cross-pollination in those cultures, and I hope that you find a combination of things that feeds your interests.

Agreed on the terms of that fight.  I do respect how much McGregor held his own, but no one actually expected he'd end that.  My understanding is that Mayweather is one of the most technically proficient defensive boxers of all time... which I find extraordinarily boring too.  🤷‍♂️

Yeah, nah, that's fair. Like you said, you could probably complement your MT with the odd boxing seminar here or there and get enough if that was something you even wanted in the first place.

On 1/21/2021 at 10:36 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

Here's my related-but-not-related reply, just a video I particularly enjoy style-wise.  I definitely train with a mind to have an aesthetically pleasant technique, whether from Muay Thai to gymnastics to kettlebells.  I don't just want to do the thing, I want to do the thing right and I want to do the thing  pretty too!   ;) 

I mean. Thing is, pretty technique is very often right technique too. So I suspect you're on the right track.

Also, yo, man, get paid. I guarantee whoever's benefitting from your labor owes you.

• Like 1
On 1/24/2021 at 5:11 PM, Aquarii said:

I feel you though. I found myself in a situation of going from 0 to 100 at work and it was a few weeks of feeling like I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

And congrats on the weight loss. Way to keep that going on top of all you have going on!

I think it's easier to appreciate life (and the few wins one gets) when the difficulty level is turned up (or cranked right over until the knob breaks off lol) 😉

Thank you!  Still consistently trending downward despite my inconsistency, so that's strange but pleasing all the same.  I'm really excited to get back to my home space and little family and routine after these few days of training in the city are over with too!

11 hours ago, Kishi said:

Tssh, yeah, that's a lame one. I'm a Shotokan guy myself, or was until my instructor and I fell out. I was pretty close to getting a Shodan after ~10 years or so, so losing out on that opportunity sucked, but in the long run it actually worked out better for me to pursue BJJ and just be a wandering bum in terms of my kickboxing. I've played rough with some Kyokushin-ish folk before and gave 'em pretty good, but then, I also got beat by a white belt in tourney, so. It seems I'll never really have any accomplishments to stand on in this field of endeavor that I love so much. XD

The judo experience doesn't surprise me - it's kind of a cult, and the selective pressures from the IOC really don't help that.

The BJJ experience also doesn't surprise me much. Like, it seems that broadly there are either competitive schools or schools that compete, if you catch my meaning, and if you get the former when you're looking for the latter, it's Not A Good Time. Can't blame you for not sticking that out.

I think Shotokan and Kyokushin are the only solid Karate takeaways I've heard of (I mean, Georges St-Pierre had a Kyokushin background, didn't he?) but I'm not a big stickler on tradition or lineages  or even gis to be honest, haha.  But I respect tradition where necessary and understand we wouldn't be enjoying these arts without someone to disseminate it from the home culture to our cultural melting pot countries where we can enjoy kicking and punching things in 2021 😎

Funny to hear that my mileage wasn't a unique experience from countless others though! I did enjoy Judo a bit, the throws were really a blast - but once I can get back to my Muay Thai gym, I'm super stoked to start learning trips and throws from the clinch.

See the source image

Yeah, nah, that's good except for the timing of the COVID. Still, FWIW, I have the feeling that your CrossFit and Muay Thai might come to complement each other a lot. My understanding is there's a lot of cross-pollination in those cultures, and I hope that you find a combination of things that feeds your interests.

Yeah, nah, that's fair. Like you said, you could probably complement your MT with the odd boxing seminar here or there and get enough if that was something you even wanted in the first place.

The muscular endurance and conditioning I built through CrossFit has served me well even after nearly three years away from it, though my endurance is a splinter of its former magnitude - but you're definitely right about the cross pollination; there's a similar (if not quite so fierce) community feeling between both.  I suspect it would be even deeper if my gym had more than half a dozen members, several of whom are itinerant military members who can only attend irregularly.  Still, I enjoy the familiar faces and can't wait to get back at it!  My coach was always very supportive and I even grew to appreciate his Brazilian hiphop soundtrack while getting beasted into the ground with mountain-climbers 🤣

The next time I'm hunting for supplementary workout videos, I'll probably start pulling in some boxing/MMA striking combos.

13 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

emmmm what?

Also, yo, man, get paid. I guarantee whoever's benefitting from your labor owes you.

I walked away from my 'cushy' gubmint job last summer and had to suffer the lockdown hammer with the rest of the private industry unfortunately.  We were shutdown from mid-Nov and couldn't open til mid-Jan, and even then it was dicey so I opted to return as only an installer to minimize my interactions with the public for now.  I finally got to invoice my work so I'll have some relief coming my way soon!  

• Like 2

On 1/26/2021 at 11:12 AM, Rurik Harrgath said:

I think it's easier to appreciate life (and the few wins one gets) when the difficulty level is turned up (or cranked right over until the knob breaks off lol) 😉

Thank you!  Still consistently trending downward despite my inconsistency, so that's strange but pleasing all the same.  I'm really excited to get back to my home space and little family and routine after these few days of training in the city are over with too!

Haha, yes, I suddenly become very appreciative of the little things when I am super busy or worn out. Like today, as it was getting near the end of my work day, all I wanted in the world was a hot shower, lol. And even if my training sessions don't go as well as I want, I am just happy to have completed them at all.

That is great! That is one thing I miss about weight loss. I have been in a body recomp/muscle gain phase lately. Which, definitely has its perks too. But it isn't something where I can see noticable results every week - the scale pretty much stays the same. It is very anticlamatic in that sense. Keep up the good work!

I think Shotokan and Kyokushin are the only solid Karate takeaways I've heard of (I mean, Georges St-Pierre had a Kyokushin background, didn't he?) but I'm not a big stickler on tradition or lineages  or even gis to be honest, haha.  But I respect tradition where necessary and understand we wouldn't be enjoying these arts without someone to disseminate it from the home culture to our cultural melting pot countries where we can enjoy kicking and punching things in 2021 😎

Yup. GSP was a Kyokushin guy, and Lyoto Machida was a Shotokan guy. These days, Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson is the karate guy to watch, and it's fascinating because it's a kind of muddled mix style that seems to lean on some point-fighting mechanics to fence the opponent. Wouldn't have figured that for a viable build, but he makes it work.

But yeah, like, the distinction between TMA and MMA is (broadly) that one cares about disseminating its traditions without necessarily being concerned with winning fights, while the other cares about winning fights within a specific ruleset. There's a tension in that, and it can be resolved, but it's like pulling teeth in my experience.

Funny to hear that my mileage wasn't a unique experience from countless others though! I did enjoy Judo a bit, the throws were really a blast - but once I can get back to my Muay Thai gym, I'm super stoked to start learning trips and throws from the clinch.

See the source image

I mean, honestly? You'll probably get a lot more out of MT's takedowns than judo's anyway, because MT seems to try to contextualize it within a broader movement syllabus than judo. (this isn't to smack-talk on judo, because even under the selective pressures of the IOC, it's still hecking good. But it's also very specialized, and it's got some cultural stuff that I'm not a fan of).

I walked away from my 'cushy' gubmint job last summer and had to suffer the lockdown hammer with the rest of the private industry unfortunately.  We were shutdown from mid-Nov and couldn't open til mid-Jan, and even then it was dicey so I opted to return as only an installer to minimize my interactions with the public for now.  I finally got to invoice my work so I'll have some relief coming my way soon!  

Good to hear! I hope it comes sooner rather than later!

• Like 2
On 1/2/2021 at 1:16 AM, Kishi said:

You'll probably get a lot more out of MT's takedowns than judo's anyway

Very true. If judo is supposed to be about using the opponent's weight and momentum against them, MT sweeps and takedowns are more about noticing and exploiting their bad balance. No need for complicated techniques or great strength, if you boil it down it's just a glass vase near the edge and you get to be the asshole cat who just gives it a gentle, fluffy nudge :D

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Lvl 45 Ranger

HEY! DO YOU LIKE CHEESE?

On 1/31/2021 at 3:16 PM, Kishi said:

Wouldn't have figured that for a viable build, but he makes it work.

That detail always makes for the most enjoyable of martial artists anyway!  🤣

On 1/31/2021 at 3:16 PM, Kishi said:

I mean, honestly? You'll probably get a lot more out of MT's takedowns than judo's anyway, because MT seems to try to contextualize it within a broader movement syllabus than judo. (this isn't to smack-talk on judo, because even under the selective pressures of the IOC, it's still hecking good. But it's also very specialized, and it's got some cultural stuff that I'm not a fan of).

Yes, absolutely.  I'm excited to get back into the gym (if my corner of the world ever opens up again...)  and start learning more of that fun side of Muay Thai that isn't just the relentless heavy bag-work I've been doing from home - which I love, mind, but it does lack the sparring/play angle entirely.  

2 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Very true. If judo is supposed to be about using the opponent's weight and momentum against them, MT sweeps and takedowns are more about noticing and exploiting their bad balance. No need for complicated techniques or great strength, if you boil it down it's just a glass vase near the edge and you get to be the asshole cat who just gives it a gentle, fluffy nudge :D

As if I needed another reason to love Muay Thai, you had to go and give it a feline characterization like that 🤣

• Like 3

It's Monday...... just sayin

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Instagram | Goodreads

20 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

It's Monday...... just sayin

Right you are!

jason momoa | Tumblr | Jason momoa, Jason momoa aquaman, Aquaman

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

That detail always makes for the most enjoyable of martial artists anyway!  🤣

Yes, absolutely.  I'm excited to get back into the gym (if my corner of the world ever opens up again...)  and start learning more of that fun side of Muay Thai that isn't just the relentless heavy bag-work I've been doing from home - which I love, mind, but it does lack the sparring/play angle entirely.  

As if I needed another reason to love Muay Thai, you had to go and give it a feline characterization like that 🤣

I'm loving this whole thread of martial arts comparisons!  There is much to make my smile 😁.   I went to my first in person class in forever last night.  I only made it about half way through class due to breathing issues, but I was there.  🥰

I hope that all of you are able to get back to doing the arts that you love!  

• Like 2

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: Embrace the Neurotic

5 hours ago, Terra said:

I'm loving this whole thread of martial arts comparisons!  There is much to make my smile 😁.   I went to my first in person class in forever last night.  I only made it about half way through class due to breathing issues, but I was there.  🥰

I hope that all of you are able to get back to doing the arts that you love!  

So happy for you,  Terra (even with the breathing difficulties)!  Unfortunately I think gyms opening back up is still a little way's off yet here, plus last I checked my coach is still in Brazil 🤣

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Right you are!

jason momoa | Tumblr | Jason momoa, Jason momoa aquaman, Aquaman

Thank you.

How the goals coming? Gotta try to hold you accountable a little and not just be thirsty in your thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Current Challenge

Instagram | Goodreads

5 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

How the goals coming? Gotta try to hold you accountable a little and not just be thirsty in your thread.

A little meh.  Busy trying to keep my office afloat means long hours, poor sleep, and perpetually on-call so it's far too easy to excuse away workouts and justify some stress eating here and there.  Motivation is in a bit of a lull at the moment (plus some waning discipline, if I'm being honest).  So the most accurate reply to that would be 'in Survival Mode' but still managing to see the scale creep down week by week because I'm mostly sticking to my nutritional compliance.

We relocated the home gym to the old spare bedroom so it's a bigger space and that's exciting.  I've been doing somewhat more regular yoga-ish stretching.  

So next challenge needs to find a manageable system for Doing The Things.  Especially since I'm of the mind to start my Personal Training/Nutrition certification to do online coaching down the road.  I'm setting a goal for starting that later this year, whatever that looks like (I've picked my certs, just waiting for the $$ and the sales to snatch them up), and now that I've written it out here....

Well, it's just on me to follow through now, isn't it?

Is It Though GIFs | Tenor

Yes, Thor.  It is.

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 2

36 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

So next challenge needs to find a manageable system for Doing The Things.  Especially since I'm of the mind to start my Personal Training/Nutrition certification to do online coaching down the road.  I'm setting a goal for starting that later this year, whatever that looks like (I've picked my certs, just waiting for the $$ and the sales to snatch them up), and now that I've written it out here....

Bout damn time ;) 

• Like 1