WEEK ZERO ERRATA NOTES: 

• The Slow Ways launch has been delayed due to increased Covid restrictions. The Slow Ways, summarised, an an initiative to use existing footpaths and tracks to map out non-road walkable routes from settlement to settlement in the UK. The launch this month was to have 10,000 people start testing these routes (as so far they’ve just been done using OS maps). But it’s not in the spirit of the current “stay at/near home” rules. Perhaps later this year....
  • I am making a subtle change to the creative aspect of Stoke the Hearth. Instead of a weekly maximum of 5XP, I am doing a daily maximum of 1XP. I think this better balances that need.
  • I’m finding doing full on fictionalised Tales of Owlshire to be too much for my mental bandwidth, so I’m reducing expectations. Stories will instead be similar to what we’ve seen on the previous challenge, and may include some fanciful aspects (I’ll leave you to decide what’s real and what isn’t XD), but I’m not ready to novelise at the moment. I will get 1XP for story update, with a 5XP per week maximum. 

• Like 12

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Current Storyline: Tales of Owlshire | 0 | 1

Previous  Storyline: The Entwife’s Heart | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

8 hours ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

I’m finding doing full on fictionalised Tales of Owlshire to be too much for my mental bandwidth, so I’m reducing expectations. Stories will instead be similar to what we’ve seen on the previous challenge, and may include some fanciful aspects (I’ll leave you to decide what’s real and what isn’t XD), but I’m not ready to novelise at the moment. I will get 1XP for story update, with a 5XP per week maximum. 

Honestly, the reality tales of Owlshire are amazing (and we get pictures!). I read so much english fiction/ classics when I was growing up, and seeing the actual countryside makes a lot of the expressions and mindsets of those stories come to life. It's hard to see opportunities for fairies and magic when you live in crowded suburbia, but seeing the rolling hills, spreading old oaks, and trails that go through random thickets of who-knows-what hiding among the brambles..... it's soul-warming. So thank you for what you do. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • That's Metal 1

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

9 hours ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

I’m finding doing full on fictionalised Tales of Owlshire to be too much for my mental bandwidth,

I feel this. I've found that  can get caught up in guilt about not doing story style updates and, really, who needs more guilt about stuff that doesn't matter that much in the end. If you want to do story updates do them, but don't pressure yourself to do them.

• Like 2

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

The pics alone are magical. Please only fictionalize when you feel like it.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Prune, prune, prune, for better fruit later ;)

• Like 1

Today I plotted and tested a walk that achieved two important purposes:

• An off-road running path for Mr to start on.
  • A toddler-friendly route into the village—indeed, it came out into the village right in front of the shop/Post Office and just down the way from the Surgery. 

The latter was one of my Quests on my XP chart (offline), so I get 10XP for that! 

What makes the route important for me is that instead of going up and down all the very steep, hilly ravines and valleys that form our area, it hugs a curve around them from where we live on the very edges, to the centre of the village. (It used to be the train tracks, which makes sense.)This makes it easier and safer to run errands on foot, especially with a toddler who I may often be carrying with me XD (Eventually, he will be able to climb up and down those hilly paths faster than I can, but we aren’t there yet.) From the OS map and the walking time, we guestimate it at around 1.5 miles each way.

Of course I took photos ;)

4C433BD1-AD04-44AD-8F7B-363059B23C5D.thumb.jpeg.f6879cb7284fa96f306c2bb41632bafb.jpeg

Fog filled the valley below as we set off.

F6AB0ABD-C169-4F09-AED3-4BE9FBF2BC6A.thumb.jpeg.8f6b71cbf4de44be04c484106d34dd2d.jpeg

7F582C72-AB1C-4AA4-878C-4430273516EE.thumb.jpeg.d8d1c74daa46c5cd67c6449bcfa6f0ac.jpeg

And slowly cleared as we continued along.

1241F0FA-A49C-4A25-8752-DF3E406A7CB1.thumb.jpeg.777c16cb29cbf9c4583d1c5707663f05.jpeg

2C3F0401-FBF8-47D6-A7A2-0A7DB8B914B7.thumb.jpeg.f048bf1db8e074b9f911219b48643b5e.jpeg

A section of the brook to which my village is named ^_^

• Like 13
  • Wow 2

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

I think it's good to respect the limits of your mental bandwidth. You'll get it back later. For now, it sounds like your hands are full! My friend used to say creatives have a period where they need to just absorb life and read and watch movies and just take it in for a bit. Constant output is not achievable, he said. 

I tend to agree with him!

Those photos are awesome. I love that you can see the fields through the branches of the bare trees.

• Like 4

The fog on a cold morning like that is an amazing view, especially when trees are involved!

• Like 2

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

iatetheyeti's odyssey: part one || part two

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Your pictures are beautiful. I anticipate I might find a good desktop wallpaper or two in this thread at some point.

There is something missing from them though. Something small but tangible.... where is the dog? ;) 

• Haha 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

2 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

There is something missing from them though. Something small but tangible.... where is the dog? ;) 

I have a 2 year old, who needs a dog? XD

(We are thinking about a dog at some point in the next year or two.)

• Like 4

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Your photos always have such a calming effect on me, thank you for posting them :) 

Glad you found a lovely route for Mr to run through too. I'm only slightly jealous!

• Like 2

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

Week Zero

I’m at 51/200 XP in week zero, earned across most categories. Notably, I didn’t manage any PAI-based XP as I haven’t gotten my average back to 50 yet, which I want to work on this week. I’ve done some errata after playtesting and some event changes, and I’m ready to keep on. 

• Like 9

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

4 hours ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

Week Zero

I’m at 51/200 XP in week zero, earned across most categories. Notably, I didn’t manage any PAI-based XP as I haven’t gotten my average back to 50 yet, which I want to work on this week. I’ve done some errata after playtesting and some event changes, and I’m ready to keep on. 

A solid result from week zero, setting the stage for an effective challenge. 

Love the photos, and yay for level paths. 

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

24 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Love the photos, and yay for level paths. 

I like hilly climbs, but I have Enting’s ability and safety to think about as well. We’ve had some slips and slides so I’m not entirely being a paranoid parent. 

• Like 5

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Sounds and looks lovely ❤️

What a beautiful place to live 😍

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Having found the route to the village, I wanted to start getting Enting acquainted with it so he’d feel comfortable walking it. Much to my surprise he walked the whole way into the village and then a bit back before decided he wanted a carry and a snack. 

F6F7FC58-4354-4198-AB4D-7511AEDCCF05.thumb.jpeg.8d7b9253679cc3c46ec74199dc40a140.jpeg

It took an hour to get to the village so it wasn’t exactly a speed errand, but carrying him back uphill definitely got my PAI score for the day XD 

• Like 12

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

5 minutes ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

Lockdown 3.0 commenced in England last night. This doesn’t really affect my goals, but my spirit is still so, so weary. 

I'm sorry. It's so wearying, isn't it?

I've been staving off those 'its endless' blues for a while now. I just really hope that this will be what it takes, and long enough, that cases will finally fall again and we can once more meet with fellow humans. 

• Thanks 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

8 minutes ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

Lockdown 3.0 commenced in England last night. This doesn’t really affect my goals, but my spirit is still so, so weary. 

Yep, we got a new one up here in Scotland too. Doesn't affect my goals either, but yeah, I feel you on the weary spirit, so very much...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

iatetheyeti's odyssey: part one || part two

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Weary is such an accurate word. I’ve enjoyed(?) my break from work, but I wouldn’t say that I feel particularly well rested or invigorated to get back to it.

As we trudge through, we trudge through together and in the right direction. We can weather this storm.

Snow Winter GIF by Elle

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1