[Athenα] A Woman Who Conquers Herself is Greater

Athena

46 minutes ago, Athena said:

But those words are meaningless to meee. This feels like something that is internalised and mine now. I FEEEEEEL it. I looked at the moon instead of the finger. I can see its heavenly glory. I know how to look back at it if the finger distracts me again.

Level Up Presentations GIF by SOAP Apresentações

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

11 hours ago, Athena said:

EDIT2: Fiiiiiinally made a fysio appointment for my shoulder and wrist(s). Yay.

Wohoooo, have fun! :D 

11 hours ago, Athena said:

Maybe having 3 work days and only the rest of the week for studies would kick my derriere into being more disciplined but the other risk is that I get tired and stressed and I don't want to risk that. Of course, it is a luxury I can think this way but there is no reason but "productivity mentality" & masohism to not make use of it. One step at a time easing myself out of the tutorial zone lol

Could totally work. :) Just don't let work overwhelm the school stuff. Can happen. It's unlikely with just one to two days though. :) 

1 hour ago, Athena said:

It came with my Garmin watch, Garmin connect.

What kind of

Garmin do you have? I'll be needing one for school soon-ish, I'm currently looking around for people who are using and liking them.  :D 

1 hour ago, Athena said:

Okay so I actually came on to say I am making a lot of progress with getting my gear on and planning my rout to Mt. Second Thesis,

Wohoooo! You can do this!!! 

Previous challenges: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

14 hours ago, Athena said:

Okay so I actually came on to say I am making a lot of progress with getting my gear on and planning my rout to Mt. Second Thesis

Excellent. Do you know what the topic is and who you want for your supervisor?

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

On 1/15/2021 at 8:00 PM, Epsilonte said:

Wohoooo, have fun! :D 

Will do! It's next Tuesday ^_^

Could totally work. :) Just don't let work overwhelm the school stuff. Can happen. It's unlikely with just one to two days though. :) 

Oh yeah, I meant it might happen with 3 days/week. Because I tend to want to do a lot when it's for others and care less about getting grades. (I have no scholarships to worry about.)

Not to say I don't get alright grades, especially considering the nett time I actually invest in studies, but it's a lot easier to sit and do stuff when others are counting on me, or teachers/profs that love their job & enjoy my effort and questions ;D

What kind of Garmin do you have? I'll be needing one for school soon-ish, I'm currently looking around for people who are using and liking them.  :D 

Hmm, I don't think it would work for school :)

I have a Garmin Forerunner 45, and it does the job I wanted it for:

*Tracks my sleep and gives you a breakdown on the app & you can compare data. (My previous cheaper watch only showed me each morning how my moving was during the night  the app only showed amount slept.)

*Tracks my heart rate. Which Reminds me to  friggen' breathe. ;D

*It tracks steps.

*Gives me movement reminders.

*Shows me messages and emails so I know if it's needed to get up and reply when I get a notif. or not.

*Shows me when my phone is ringing so I don't miss calls. (I rarely get them and when I do it's needed.)

*Shows me calendar notifications.

*I can track my running and cycling endeavours, and it also has an option for a threadmill run. I can also use the stopwatch when I get on my stationary bike, track it as an activity and enter data like distance and bpm on the app.

*Its clock fase lighting is digital but not like a phone screen like most fitness trackers/smartwatches.

Bonuses that I appreciate but did not look for:

*It counts my steps and adjusts the goal dynamically according to how little or much I step (can be turned off). I get a fun animation when I hit my step goal.

*The app has all sorts of badges and challenges.

*You can add notes to your activities, how it went etc. 

*You can change the clock faces. My heart rate is shown in a heart currently haha

*There is a coaching option for the running, you can choose between 3 different "coaches" thaf have pre-recorded videos and the progression is dynamic, probably in accordance with each coach's style/philosophy.

*You can connect it to MFP. I think it only logs movement when you have "started a workout" and not when you log an activity afterwards but that's okay.

*You can track your menstrual cycle stuff there, too. Haven't played with this bc I use another app for that but I can see the benefits of being able to compare cycle stuff with your activities.

It's more limited than e.g. the Forerunners with three digit numbers.

As much as I'd prob enjoy seeing stuff like a chronodex on my screen, being able to send voice messages, or being shows yoga poses and so on on my screen as I am doing them and so on, this gadget is doing fine and it had a nice sale when I bought it :)

Wohoooo! You can do this!!! 

I cannnn, I can. Totally can. 

10 hours ago, Harriet said:

Excellent.

Thank you!

• Thanks 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

Alright, today's productivity/discipline muscle training was:

I browsed a couple of articles on how to make thesis writing fun (spoiler: they basically simply say: stay curious, have a battle plan and don't attach TOO much gravity to the thesis.)

Sounds frivolous but I managed to read the relatively long articles without getting distracted and with minimal resistance which is an improvement :D

I tried to figure out how I can make an excel spreadsheet with equal row spacing but I guess it's purpose is for numbers, not table making :D I wanted to put my broken down thesis tasks in squares and color them in as I finish them. But nahh, I probably won't use it. It's just Busy work 🤓😋

I also updated my end of November and December spending + bill tracker & made spreads for the first two quarters of 2021.

Weeeell, I still need to finish the table lines but it will happen when I do the next update.

• Like 2

Battle log

15 minutes ago, Athena said:

I tried to figure out how I can make an excel spreadsheet with equal row spacing but I guess it's purpose is for numbers, not table making :D I wanted to put my broken down thesis tasks in squares and color them in as I finish them. But nahh, I probably won't use it. It's just Busy work 🤓😋

if your goal is even squares without a lot of complicated functionality per square, a table created in Word might work just fine for this.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

Thanks a lot for the in depth watch analysis! :D Doesn't sound too bad, I'll put it on my watch list (pun intended. :P

1 hour ago, Athena said:

I like to use Trello for things like these. It's just too satisfying to move the tasks around from "doing" to "done". :D 

Also: I might misunderstand you there, but: if you select the whole sheet (top left corner, so right next to the A and right above the 1 - or just press Cmd+A) you can just make the rows bigger/smaller (by dragging the lines between the row numbers) and they will all have the same height. Works with columns too. It even shows you the pixel number while you drag it (or click on it), so you can really make squares. You can make very pretty tables with excel. :D I think there are even some people who make pixel art with it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Epsilonte said:

Thanks a lot for the in depth watch analysis! :D Doesn't sound too bad, I'll put it on my watch list (pun intended. :P

I like to use Trello for things like these. It's just too satisfying to move the tasks around from "doing" to "done". :D 

I use Todoist, and since last year they have a Trello-ish layout :)

I was just messing around to keep my thesis in the forefront of my mind in the weekend without actually working on it because it was really time to finish that admin task :D

I currently use Todoist mainly as my database for all tasks I have or think of + update the reminders so I am never without an alrightish task list.

4 minutes ago, Epsilonte said:

Also: I might misunderstand you there, but: if you select the whole sheet (top left corner, so right next to the A and right above the 1 - or just press Cmd+A) you can just make the rows bigger/smaller (by dragging the lines between the row numbers) and they will all have the same height. Works with columns too. It even shows you the pixel number while you drag it (or click on it), so you can really make squares. You can make very pretty tables with excel. :D I think there are even some people who make pixel art with it. 

Glad you found the review useful. And Thanks! Yeah, I was looking for something to make a rainbow with as I go, I think.

Maybe Word will do the same and it's something I am more used to working with (Thanks @Scaly Freak!) 

I'll see :)

• Like 2

Battle log

I did the benchmark run this morning! my threadmill sounded like a truck though. Fortunately I didn't wake anyone up, but the internet tells me there is something with the motor or bearing or so.

I sent the links to my mom who I am lucky understands all these things but she hasn't had time to look at it so we can decide if it needs to be sold/taken away or it's worth fixing... I think the internet says it's worth fixing but the people discussing it did it themselves. Anyway...

Back to being  keeping myself accountable by proclaiming my thesis progress on my thread:

* 11-12:40 - I mostly had to keep redirecting myself to not go on a general week planning spree rather than using my time effectively.

I redid the day plan on my whiteboard, (migrated some tasks Id written there to my Todoist since they were new)

Had to put the notebook I use for planning away because I kept being sidetracked when looking at it and googling for (circular) planner systems.

Then I managed to open a new file up so I can start setting up the lay-out for the first thesis plan I'd like to write and like most, aka plan A.

Then went to find my plan for my first thesis and turned out its on my onedrive. Which for some reason needed a different password than I remember. I keep having to change them. (Uni has upped the password complexity req since there was a cyber attack in 2019.)

And then I downl. the file, opened the page with the latest thesis regulations (I think it is) to check out and went to have lunch :)

*16:30 I think I sat down about an hour ago but kept getting side-tracked. Forgot to make my tea, I had a walk, used my watch, got side-tracked to check if my partner can sync his data to Garmin connect or me to sync mine to a Fitbit app so we can compare, bladibla. 

• Like 1

Battle log

@Epsilonte

I just thought of something else you might want to consider, maybe: what (NF) friends/family are using, if you want to do competitions or so. But since you specified you are getting it for school, maybe not :)

For lifestyle watches I think most people are very happy with Apple Watch.

Oh yeah, another reason why I did not go for a Samsung watch or an Apple Watch is because I wasn't sure if I'm going to stick to Android. I personally find it very disappointing of myself, but last year at the end, for the first time, I considered switching to an iPhone. Lockdown is making me do weird things. :D Anyway. 

Spoiler

I get why I got an iPad (that I sold last year since I did not need it anymore): When I was looking for tablets, the other ones were SO MUCH SLOWER.

I get why I switched to a Macbook: I couldn't do the maintenance/time needed for a Windows laptop anymore and it couldn't keep up with my usage in the summer (and lack of venting.)

But I am super happy with my Samsung S10 note. It's just that I came across some productivity apps that were paid on Android, free on iPhone. Damn those CEO peeps for worshipping Steve Jobs and using mainly his products :D  Oh and I guess most starting out are also doing their graphic designing themselves.

• Like 1

Battle log

No competitions, I just need something to monitor my heart rate and since most pulse monitors are about the same price as smart watches... Well... Might just monitor my sleep and stuff as well. xD I have a few months before I need it, so now I'm just looking around and asking as many people as possibe what they use and how they like it. :)

Hmmmm but maybe competing with friends would be fun. I don't think I have many friends with smart watches though... I'll ask around. :D 

Spoiler

I'm not a big apple person, never was, never will be. xD I had an iPod 14 years ago and that's it. The mister has an iPad, that I get to use for school and really like for that purpose, but I never would have bought it for myself. xD Very happy with my android phone and windows computer (had linux for several years but gaming is just easier with windows). 

3 minutes ago, Epsilonte said:

No competitions, I just need something to monitor my heart rate and since most pulse monitors are about the same price as smart watches... Well... Might just monitor my sleep and stuff as well. xD I have a few months before I need it, so now I'm just looking around and asking as many people as possibe what they use and how they like it. :)

For heart rate and sleep, Fitbit's line of trackers might be a good fit for you. The actual trackers (not the smart watches) are comparatively affordable, and I've been very happy with mine. 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

On 1/16/2021 at 7:42 PM, Athena said:

Alright, today's productivity/discipline muscle training was:

I browsed a couple of articles on how to make thesis writing fun (spoiler: they basically simply say: stay curious, have a battle plan and don't attach TOO much gravity to the thesis.)

Sounds frivolous but I managed to read the relatively long articles without getting distracted and with minimal resistance which is an improvement :D

So I'm a bit confused. You've already written a whole frickin' thesis, and it was a really good one. What makes this one so much more difficult that you're looking to rehaul the way you work? Clearly you already got the skills. Have I missed something? :) 

On 1/14/2021 at 11:39 AM, Athena said:

Speaking of that job, did I mention I feel like they were just a tiiiiiny bit disingenuous? Because of me, they finally fixed their website, and around the same time I officially applied I saw a LinkedIn job offer pop up for someone that can do the work.

They did not tell me about it, and part of me feels like they put the job interview just on the date the deadline of the Linkedin job offer for a reason.

If I would have done it, I wouldn't tell the student either probably. And it is their right to spend their budget on someone with experience that can take on the job for more days a week (i.e. at least 3). So I do not hold it against them. But I had a moment when I made the connections. 😋

Ok maybe I'm just tired and can't comprehend words. They hired you and nobody else. (Big congrats!) Are you sure it's not the other way round - that they wanted you but were forced to put in a public ad to make the hiring transparent? Sometimes companies do that because their internal processes demand it even if they have no intention to hire someone else. It seems strange that they'd hire you if their intent is actually to hire someone else.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

So I'm a bit confused. You've already written a whole frickin' thesis, and it was a really good one. What makes this one so much more difficult that you're looking to rehaul the way you work? Clearly you already got the skills. Have I missed something? :) 

Oh I am not looking to rehaul anything, my method is to constantly tweak things because my brain gets used to one system and finds ways to bypass it.

Some days/weeks I will do absolutely superb with strict pomodoro planning and color coded tracking,

other days I will ignore the bells and find my color coding sticklery and annoying and will want to flowww,flow with a cup of tea and comfy clothes.

At one point I was doing fine with just creative work, the next I needed a cork board with all of my steps so I can visually remove thin postits with the word amount I reached.

And after some time that cork board laid gathering dust. And then I got it back out again when I some time after I started my editing and decreasing word amount grind.

Sometimes I need to dress fully and do my makeup and hair even, sometimes Im that "messy bun gets the job done" motivational drawing. 

Sometimes I can just work and bob and weave around distractions and accept drawbacks,

sometimes I need to reward myself by coloring in a pretty picture with parts that represent my progress or amount worked.

I just. Don't. Know, so over the years I have accepted that I need to keep rotating the methods I use :)

Ok maybe I'm just tired and can't comprehend words. They hired you and nobody else. (Big congrats!) Are you sure it's not the other way round - that they wanted you but were forced to put in a public ad to make the hiring transparent? Sometimes companies do that because their internal processes demand it even if they have no intention to hire someone else. It seems strange that they'd hire you if their intent is actually to hire someone else.

OHHHHHH, facepalm :)

Yes, yes that could be it. Lol. Thanks!

My insecurities sometimes, smh. I felt a lot better after I wrote that out anyways, I just had to get it out of my head, but for some reason I did not think of what you said.

EDIT: i just thought, with me doing an open application (without previous job ad) maybe the boss was like "Ohhh so we are wanted" and wanted to see if anything else would bite.

Without telling me I could be up against other applicants. Not that I would have prepared less, in fact, I saw the Linkedin ad AFTER I had prepared as if I was going to be asked questions, just to be prepared

but it was not needed :)

Mom said: yeah people in smaller firms that give applicants a difficult time usually come from self-important big companies and think that is the only way to hold an interview. It was really really relaxed and cooperative. It was clear they respect their work and clients and take it seriously, but they did not try to catch me off guard in weird ways like some interviewers do. Although I felt pretty confident I would've been able to handle it this time 😎 Maybe that also showed haha but I feel like persons with good people skills are capable of seeing that even without trying to trip up or apparently critically surveying the applicant . But it is what it is!

• Like 2

Battle log

1 minute ago, Athena said:

Oh I am not looking to rehaul anything, my method is to constantly tweak things because my brain gets used to one system and finds ways to bypass it.

Haha this sounds so familiar. It makes a lot of sense now. It's aweomse that you recognize it and are able to tweak things on the fly. I still haven't figured that one out.

1 minute ago, Athena said:

OHHHHHH, facepalm :)

Yes, yes that could be it. Lol. Thanks!

My insecurities sometimes, smh. 

Haha glad it helped. :D Either way it doesn't matter because in the end they wanted youuuuu! 

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Haha this sounds so familiar. It makes a lot of sense now. It's aweomse that you recognize it and are able to tweak things on the fly. I still haven't figured that one out.

Well, I don't manage to always. Every now and then not even that I don't manage, I start being a big mule and going "NO BRAIN YOU WILL WORK WITH THIS, I am tired of bending over backwords for you all the time!" But of course my brain is not an antromorphic personification so it does not respond to me really...

It does what it does and eventually I give in.

Battle log

3 minutes ago, Athena said:

Well, I don't manage to always. Every now and then not even that I don't manage, I start being a big mule and going "NO BRAIN YOU WILL WORK WITH THIS, I am tired of bending over backwords for you all the time!" But of course my brain is not an antromorphic personification so it does not respond to me really...

Shame. :P 

My biggest issue is that I don't even notice and expect things to keep working.

• Like 1

Oh, look at me. I completely ignored my second mobility training of last week, and because I was procrastinating on that (and also had other things I wanted to get done kn the evenings), I did not do stretches either since... Thursday?

But I did do half an hour of tai chi this morning :)

• Like 1

Battle log

Oh jolly, we've got a flat tire 🥳 Fortunately, the back tires were up for changing anyway. 

Earlier this winter we had an unexpectedly high car-related bill, too.

Money doesn't buy happiness but when you are participating in modern society it's very very nice to have some cushion room in the bank. 🙃

Anyway, it's likely that it happened on the highway, because we heard a weird noise then, and thank goodness we are all safe.

(The car has a front... thing... The front tires move the car, so that's why it wasn't felt right away we had a flat tire. There is metal in the tire and a couple of tears. 😬)

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Battle log

Before I knew it, it was time for a meeting. It was 1,5 hours and I am low on energy because I had less sleep, only tea, and not allowing myself to eat sugary stuff :D

Man, I was wondering why it's extra difficult to ignore cravings today but then I remembered that week is coming up. 🦈

TMI thoughts about names for the cycle in spoiler.

Spoiler

I love that name for it btw. I never got behind Aunt Flo or "Marco Borsato" (a Dutch singer who has a song called Red(*)) or so. It did not sound that fun, I just say cycle or period. It's biology. I am like the moon phases. That's cool. The only thing that was cooler than that was when I read people call it shark week here. Yes. I am a shark! Or I am enduring sharky stabby pains! Stuff like that. Much more suitable.

(*) Omg why did I not make the connection as a teen. It's sort of funny that people I know called a period M.B. while the song Red goes:

Today is reeeedddd

The color of your lips

🏴‍☠️🦜

Aaanyway.

I am going to rest, maybe take a nap.

I want to do my mobility training later 🤓 

Serious stuff can come again tomorrow.

PS - WOW it's 5 pm and still lightish out. Awesome.

Battle log

23 minutes ago, Athena said:

PS - WOW it's 5 pm and still lightish out. Awesome.

This is a wondrous  happening! It's still getting dark about 4:30 here.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

"Tweets, emails, snaps, you name it – they all rewire your brain and train it to anticipate constant interruptions.

You might think there is nothing inherently wrong with that. After all, you can multitask! Interruptions don’t really bother you – right? Well, not exactly. Glenn Wilson, a professor of psychology at Gresham College in London, estimates that multitasking depletes our IQ by 10 points. In fact, he’s argued that your cognitive skills take a sharper dip when you try to multitask than when you smoke marijuana.

You probably wouldn’t want to make important life decisions and business deals while high on drugs. So why would you try to do it while fending off a barrage of attention-sapping information?"

From the blink of the book Noise. Super scientific 😅 Not dramatised at all. Though I have been feeling like this 🙃

Battle log

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines