[Athenα] A Woman Who Conquers Herself is Greater

Athena

Week 3

Sunday

Monday

Did I play the mind game: yes, I gave into my cravings partially by having LOTS AND LOTS of paprika, both raw and toasted, and corn, a plentiful handful of olives, and spread out my 200g of ham and chicken slices out between 2-3 hours instead of having it at once as dinner. Dinner was that & a plate of salad.

(Lunch was 3 boiled eggs with herbs)

I wasn't ever hungry just snacky. After dinner I was fine again. Kinda stressful day too I guess. I tried to be mindful about it despite feeling very antsy to grab all sorts of things.

OH WAIT HOLD UP I just remembered I did go ahead and have 1 (one) chicken nugget from yesterday. What a sin. Have done way worse. 🤩

Nutritional reflection and foresight: Taking my vitamines, less than a week left of the diet left, looking forward to evaluating if I am going to let this become a 28 day reset or not :D

Tomorrow is planned out in that regard too. Very easy. Wish this was sustainable. Well, it might be, with less eggs and more nuts and yoghurt.

Aaaanywho.

Dailydare: Done!

Mobilty/stretches? Mobility training, done. Albeit a bit distractedly. Wanted to do it with the TV youtube and couldnt put the volume very high.

But a lot less Idontwannas. I want to develop nice and thick discipline muscles. I'll be so buff in not the try-ceps but the do-ceps!

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

Ohh, someone made videos about reparenring yourself if you have grown up in a disfunctional household that seem really helpful. Haven't watched them all the way through but wanted to share:

Spoiler

I had a pretty functional core family (although some of the side-characters were disfunctional or plain toxic)

but you know. One can never have enough tools. Also I was REALLY impressed as a kid by a scene in a Pippi Longstocking movie or in one of the editions of the books... Where she basically parents herself about going to bed on time or so :D And I have always tried to do that and discuss with my family what the best approach is to make me learn/improve my behaviour when I made a mistake 😂

Battle log

32 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Haha that is so obnoxiously responsible. 😂

Yeah, and it was really only possible because I had this mother that really treated me as an equal as much as she could given my age :D

It made other kids - especially with parents that are strict and throw around the "BECAUSE I SAID SO" card - think I was a being subservient to my fam while I never blindly obeyed. The adults were constantly being called to explain their rules and laws and own up to any hypocrisy heh :D

Sure I have always considered my more rebellious friends' perspective and experimented. I saw the risks of only hearing reality described by only limited sources within 1 family.

But usually I was quite content with the rules I had to follow vs. the freedoms I had vs. how much energy it would cost to rebel just for the sake of having as much autonomy as some kids that never had to tell their parents where they were and partied until 2 AM and later as 15 year olds 😋 

The main big quarrels I have had were either because of 1) forgetting to call/not answering 2) some boys 3) friends and my fam's prejudices about guys with long hair and baggy black clothes and girls dressed also dark and baggy or "provocatively",  4) my laptop usage / meeting people through the internet / gaming,  5) my existential crisis and 6) calling them out when they maintained toxic friendships that they scolded ME for doing ;) 

But that was all age 14 and up and after 20 y.o. I have been pretty boring and responsible in general 😂 And also an adult but you know. Parents don't always recognise adulthood 😉

Battle log

2 hours ago, Athena said:

Yeah, and it was really only possible because I had this mother that really treated me as an equal as much as she could given my age :D

My mum did too but let me tell you it did NOT work out the same way. :D 

2 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

So you basically were already studying the law as a kid. :D :D  

Hahaha it really does read like it was always meant to be. :D 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Athena said:

Parents don't always recognise adulthood

I'm 41, and this is still true of my parents... 😑

• Like 1

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Embraces His Wild Poet

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals More

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

My mum did too but let me tell you it did NOT work out the same way. :D 

Same with my sister :D 

But if I had different parents, they might have thought I was being a smart ass & ignored what I was considering (my grandparents were much quicker to just either punish – which amounted to going to my mother and saying "Athena's mom, deal with your child, please!" – or praise me up to the heavens and spoil me because I was their dearest most innocent person). 

40 minutes ago, WolfDreamer said:

I'm 41, and this is still true of my parents... 😑

And of my grandparents @ my mother. They can quibble as cats and dogs but when it comes to treating my mother as either a teen or an inexperience adolescent, they are a united front :') Well, I guess there is SOME progress to be seen after I have talked with them lots and lots and considering she is pushing 50 and has a second child...

With me, they either give me a blank check of confidence OR, based on experiences with me as a teen:

for this christmas vacation they did not want me to come visit them because my grandfather was afraid I would "run off" and "be influenced" by a childhood friend of mine. 

First of all, no. Second of all, even if I did decide to go on a visit to the mountainy areas despite the roads being terrible in winter... I'm 26 :D And yes, I live with my mom but I know how to run a household & share the chores & can file taxes & vote and have done so many things that one without discipline/a sense of responsibility/easy to influence is incapable of doing?

Anyway, I am probably preaching to the choir. There is almost no great achievement that can make those type of people fully recognise adulthood lol

• Like 1

Battle log

23 minutes ago, Athena said:

Anyway, I am probably preaching to the choir. There is almost no great achievement that can make those type of people fully recognise adulthood lol

I don't think it's "those types of people", at least from my experience this is suuuper common, especially when the child goes back to the childhood home. Then the behaviour switches almost to auto pilot. The parents think you're still a child because that's what they've always known. And the child's response is to react to the parents the same way as they always have in that environment. Hey presto you're 15 again, in constant fights with your dad, and hating yourself for slipping yet you're unable to make it stooooop. Uhmm that last part might just be me.

And yes my mum still quizzes me on who I'm going out with, where I'm going and when I'll be back. And true to my teenage self, the answers are always friends, out and later. 

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I don't think it's "those types of people", at least from my experience this is suuuper common, especially when the child goes back to the childhood home. Then the behaviour switches almost to auto pilot. The parents think you're still a child because that's what they've always known. And the child's response is to react to the parents the same way as they always have in that environment. Hey presto you're 15 again, in constant fights with your dad, and hating yourself for slipping yet you're unable to make it stooooop. Uhmm that last part might just be me.

Yep, my son moved back in with us for a year after he graduated from college. Mentally,I knew my son was an adult. But, it was so hard so hard not to fall back into old patterns. As a parent of an adult, I can say that it is  treating my son as an adult is something I have to actively work on. It just seems like yesterday he  was riding his tricycle and couldn't tie his shoes. 

• Like 2

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Yeah but I am referring to "those types of people" that don't realise it is needed to try not to do so, like you Elastigirl :) And seek for ways to catch themselves when they are doing it. They are so stuck on wanting to be needed (subconciously) or whatever it is a psychologist would say, that they are hurting the relationship with their adult kids. And in some ways preventing their growth (like the classic case of husbands forgetting what they had discussed with their wives/not standing up for themselves etc.)

It's normal it happens, something similar also happens with childhood friends or "rivals" you have lots touch with for years and did not grow "together", I forgot what it is called :) We are humans, for better or worse :D

• Like 1

Battle log

Meh.  Going to meditate. Another day I did not do anything challenge-relared besides acclimating to not snacking on whatever I want on a whim (even though no cravings today)

I did have my fysio appt (that I had to be called for bc I forgot) and a new side-quest popped up: do new fysio exercises twice a day until next appt on 26 January. Rather quick but she was not very clear on what is up with me so. (I just realised I did not confess my mobile phone usage thing haha)

• Like 2

Battle log

New morning, new day. (Never mind that one can also turn things around every hour, minute, etc. but that's next level stuff :) )

Just did this workout:

Spoiler

As good or bad as it went :) Thought I swapped the pushup dogs for simply keeping my legs at 90 degree ankles and doing the pushup motions only with my upper body, because I keep not wanting to put pressure on my hands, the exercises were fun. (I really really don't want to do sideplanks/sidepushups these days and I feel like there are lots of those in Blogilates' vids haha)  I'll push myself more next time. 

The fysio said that what might be happening with BW exercises is, that my hand/thumb joint is VERY flexible and my thumb-web-muscle is overcompensating and cramping up... Huh, did not see that coming :)

One of the things I need to remember to do through out the day is make my fingers work by pushing them up against my other fingers, and my thumb in all possible directions. (In theory there are 6 but we use our thumbs throughout the day lots anyway so just the main ones up/to the sides and rotating whatever I think of should be okay, as far as I understood.)

• Like 2

Battle log

56 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Have you tried doing the exercises on your fists? 

Yes, ouch. Both on the top of my arms & the knuckles. When I do that stretch were you hold your arm stretched out and palm facing you, that's more painful for me me than the one stretching my palm facing outwards. (Although when my aches are bad I'm also rubbing the inside of my arm a lot.) Also, I guess the (skin on my) knuckles are weak or so? I am planning to work up to that eventually :)

The fysio also said I shouldn't be only working on flexibility and mobility either, both flexy/mobility training and strength training are needed for healthy joints and so on.

And she was also checking if it was something with tendons, or with muscles. Sometimes it was the musles being weird, sometimes the connections. I need to pay better attention next time but I had to first pay attention to how to do the exercises at all haha :)

I exerpienced a mind shift this morning. I'll never achieve a proper handstand with such weak fingers. You also need good spready toes for yoga right? So EEEVERYTHING is handstand prep :D With all the balancing stuff I've been doing to have variety for my ankle fysio exerecises, I will build a good core and stuff (is what I tell myself).   All I will need is some pushups and upside down balance when I unlock that quest 8-) (Yes I know I know it will probably be more complicated.)

PS - I just randomly played around my stats (somewhat arbitrarily) to be in an only slightly more realistic relationship to each other >.> I still need to sit down properly and check Rurik's & other people's thread out a little better :) Until recently I just used them because I liked the aesthetic tbh & that it MAYBE would prompt me to actually read & do something with them one day.

• Like 2

Battle log

20 minutes ago, Athena said:

Also, I guess the (skin on my) knuckles are weak or so? I am planning to work up to that eventually :)

If it hurts the skin you could use some extra padding. But if it just hurts then better wait and listen to your body. :) You could also ask your physio for alternatives.

21 minutes ago, Athena said:

I exerpienced a mind shift this morning. I'll never achieve a proper handstand with such weak fingers. You also need good spready toes for yoga right? So EEEVERYTHING is handstand prep :D

Great attitude! :D  

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Athena said:

The fysio also said I shouldn't be only working on flexibility and mobility either, both flexy/mobility training and strength training are needed for healthy joints and so on.

When I saw my doctor for my regular check-up a month or so ago, I told him the tendinitis in my wrist was hurting more over the past few months than it used to. He is well aware of my friendship with the barbells, so he asked if I had stopped going to the gym during the pandemic. I confirmed that I had, because, well, pandemic. He then told me that most likely reason my tendinitis got worse is because the muscles in my forearms are a bit weaker now than they were when I lifted barbells on a regular basis, and because they are not as strong, the tendons don't have the help and support they used to have... which led to the inflammation getting worse. He suggested a few exercises I can do to strengthen them, and they do seem to help, when I remember to do them.

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31

48 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

He then told me that most likely reason my tendinitis got worse is because the muscles in my forearms are a bit weaker now

But there are only Twenty-four. Hours. In. A. Day. :D Pff. 

When I get the hang of the ones I have going now I might ask you about yours ^_^ Thanks for sharing.

Today is Wednesday so per challenge I have a mobility training video again this evening after my daily dare, but I am going to do my new fysio exercises. And Ill try if I can do quicker (but still mindful) than 35 mins I took for them getting sidetracked all the time and/or counting for more seconds than I was assigned.

I absolutely loved having a biiig plate of baked veggies, and a plateful of an apple and blueberries sprinkled with cinnamon and heated up for lunch.

(Technically mom's diet allowed only 1 piece of high sugar fruit but I am also experimenting with a sustainable high freggie diet sooo. It is all good :) )

After over having my carefully planned cheat meal window on Sunday, I feel absolutely no desire to go back to eating so many chocolatey snacks and so on. I am feeling so good now on day 18 of eating almost-clean. (The cheat meal on Sunday and Monday and today I have grabbed grabbed a total of 3 leftover chicken nuggets.)

All the veggie goodness, snacking on frozen berries, experimenting with water infusions, lots of tea, the veggies with herbs and a couple of times herby butter, and steak and baked chicken , and it's all so yum and satisfying omg.

I may be overly enthusiastic but I really want to lock in this feeling.

It all does not take that much time to prepare either. Not that much more than walking to the cupboard 20 times and unwrapping stuff. Peeling and cutting and spicing/herbing isn't that much of a hassle.

Kaki fruit, pomelo, kiwis, carrots in their season, a leafy green filled with corn and ham bits. So colorful and tasty.

I need all of these things in my life. Even in winter it's just fine with some heat. (Thank goodness for long-distance uni so I can have messy lunches at a table even when course period starts.)

fries, rice, potatoes, cheese, yoghurt, milk, they will never leave my life but I am having lots of fun experimenting without them.

Need to see what the 28 day restart entails so I can see what I can add back in that isnt in line with the current diet, and log my experience, and then what comes after 2 weeks so I can log how I feel after adding other stuff back in. 🤓

Oh wait wait, I mustn't get ahead of myself. I would decide at the end of this week if Im doing that. But I think I know already.

Fun side-effect: my sister isn't eating as much candy, chips etc. either. She finds it less fun without us :) And asks for the fruit and veggies sometimes, not always. Damn, why is leading by example always exponentially more effective AND difficult 😄

NOW, time to dry my hair...

• Like 3

Battle log

1 minute ago, Athena said:

But there are only Twenty-four. Hours. In. A. Day. :D Pff. 

When I get the hang of the ones I have going now I might ask you about yours ^_^ Thanks for sharing.

I'm not sharing my hours with you. I'm already using all of them.

• Haha 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31

45 minutes ago, Athena said:

Kaki fruit

Never heard them being called this before - learn something new every day!

46 minutes ago, Athena said:

Damn, why is leading by example always exponentially more effective AND difficult 😄

😅

I'm happy it's working out so well for you!

41 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Never heard them being called this before - learn something new every day!

Ohh what are they called where you live/have grown up?

In English I just read Japanese Persimmon :) Interesting.

Battle log

8 hours ago, Athena said:

Fun side-effect: my sister isn't eating as much candy, chips etc. either. She finds it less fun without us :) And asks for the fruit and veggies sometimes, not always. Damn, why is leading by example always exponentially more effective AND difficult 😄

Glad to hear that, and to answer your question. Because it's worth it!

• Thanks 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

19 hours ago, Athena said:

I'll never achieve a proper handstand with such weak fingers. You also need good spready toes for yoga right? So EEEVERYTHING is handstand prep :D 

Awesome mindset! That's part of why I like having a skill goal, it helps motivate me to do even the stuff I don't normally like, such as mobility

• Thanks 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

11 hours ago, Athena said:

After over having my carefully planned cheat meal window on Sunday, I feel absolutely no desire to go back to eating so many chocolatey snacks and so on. I am feeling so good now on day 18 of eating almost-clean.

Nice! Are you feeling more energy, or just more satisfied with your food, or?

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

5 hours ago, Red1263 said:

Glad to hear that, and to answer your question. Because it's worth it!

Agreed!

4 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Awesome mindset! That's part of why I like having a skill goal, it helps motivate me to do even the stuff I don't normally like, such as mobility

Yeah. "Minimalising pain in life/minimalising joint problems etc."  is less flashy than "standing upside down".

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Nice! Are you feeling more energy, or just more satisfied with your food, or?

Hmmm not a bad idea to qualify it furthee yes :)

More satisfied with my food, it's more colorful ( colorful candy was never my jam, these foods look so yummy and I enjoy playing around with the spices ),

* I'm not sure about the more energy since I already felt that after I felt the spirit boost,

but I have been feeling like I go to sleep easier

& I feel lighter, my tummy is happy, I feel less of a need to drink water because of all the water content in the veggies, and 

TMI about toilet visits behind spoiler

Spoiler

I tend to go number to either every day or every other day, consistency is usually fine but it's a little and often throughout the day. It's SO so annoying, let alone difficult to keep hygiene especially if it's right before you have to rush to somewhere and you cannot be more diligent 🥲

These days it's been just once pretty much when I have to go and it's been so awesome 😂

* It just feels good to spend less time on food /around the cupboards and feeling like I JUST. HAVE TO. have x or y. Even if I am not being superproductive.

• Like 1

Battle log

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines