[DarK_RaideR] in the character creation screen

Red sauce with tuna and olives? What?

Why do I feel like I'm thinking of the wrong kind of tuna...

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Currently Posting in -->Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] 

5 hours ago, shaar said:

Also being an Esoteric Hermit that seems to be a secret spooky bard is kind of my end game life goal, NGL.

I thought of tagging you with all that harp stuff, but I figured "nah, she'll pick it up".

tenor.gif?itemid=10444289

4 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

I despise high knees. I hate them more than burpees.

Spoiler: the following day's workout also involved a ton of high knees. I could do without high knees in my immediate future for a while.

4 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

Glad things are going well and that you're staying active and consistent. 

Thanks. It's the first time after several challenges I'm doing that and nailing all my goals all the time. I also mean to write something about how smoking is not even an afterthought by now, but with every update I post I forget to say so, because, well, it's not even an afterthought by now. :D

4 hours ago, cn3wton said:

Red sauce with tuna and olives? What?

Why do I feel like I'm thinking of the wrong kind of tuna...

I heat up a can of shredded tuna in a pan with a bit of oil, add tomato sauce and before it's done, throw in some sliced olives. You might be wrong if you're thinking tuna as the whole fish or a tuna steak. Also if by red sauce you're thinking of spicy pepper sauce. Here's a few images (googled, not mine) of how my sauce ends up looking like

suntages_gia_ergenides_tonos_me_kokkini_ b_tonos.jpg

• Like 7

Nope I was thinking about the right kind of tuna! LOL

I have never really been able to eat tuna out of the can (or little bags). But maybe this would be something I could come to enjoy!

I love spicy tuna on sushi and things like that. But I'm sure that is because they pack it with sugars.

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Tuesday's update

Workouts: Day 16 done at level 2 (5 sets) and yes, it's more high knees! And jump squats between exercises. This one was rough alright.

Nutrition: Not ideal, but did the best I could. Started off with a cup of milk and an apple to keep me going while I whipped up some scrambled eggs with smoked pork and feta cheese on top. Lunch was leftover porridge/grits with more smoked pork, feta and a hard boiled egg. I also had a protein shake, using some organic powder the SRLF had. It's a natural supplement that's also supposed to aid against constipation, but it didn't do much for her so since it's just lying there, I asked her if I might as well use it. Lots of pea protein in it, with kale, spirulina, that kind of stuff. Should be good for shakes, smoothies and a snack or to boost a meal's protein ratio. We got delivery for dinner and I had a meat wrap sans-fries.

RPG challenge:  It's been a rough day, had stuff to do out in the morning, then finish and upload my review for Five Nights at Freddy's (thanks @RhiaWolfe ) and in a bit I'll have to start my videogames news shift, so for today I went with a somewhat familiar game, in the sense that I haven't played it per se, but I've read it, played others using the same system and know the setting.

Black_Crusade_core_rulebook.jpg

#31DayCharacterCreationChallenge #Day20

Game: Black Crusade

The game in a nutshell: It's Warhammer 40K, but playing as the Chaos bad guys. There's the option to either play as human cultists or outright Chaos Space Marines.

The good: You get to play Chaos Space Marines, really. Also characters in the 40K universe that aren't all that rigid and limited by operating inside Imperium territory. The system is the same as the other Fantasy Flight games of this series (Dark Heresy, Deathwatch, Rogue Trader and Only War) so you can cross the beams with those if you want to. Also, having to also face other Chaos groups, followers of other Chaos gods, perhaps your own party members as well as the gods themselves vying for your soul with every character advancement, this spices things up a bit.

The bad: Pretty much the same as Rogue Trader from a while back, plus the fact that Chaos followers, Space Marines especially, are so outrageous, so over the top, one can only wonder how the hell to portray them when not on the battlefield. How to do non-combat roleplay, with stealth and investigation and social interactions and everyday life moments. For all the initial excitement the idea of playing Black Crusade can spark up, there's a lot of "where to go from here" as soon as you've run a combat scene or two.

The character: Erlhad the Decadent. Because of the negatives mentioned above, I decided to go with a cultist instead of a Chaos Space Marine and knowing the core book well enough (and not really being excited by the cultist class options in it) I had enough confidence to also use Tome of Excess, the sourcebook dedicated to Slaanesh, the Chaos god of pleasure and excess. Erlhad the Decadent is basically a space pirate who's thrown himself into the arms of the Prince of Pleasure (but somehow is a human and not a dark eldar). He enjoys lavish living, sensual and sexual excess, the rush of combat, the excitement of high speed driving or flying, the sadistic pleasure of torturing captives and isn't above sacrificing some of his own crew if need be. Thing is, he's become jaded enough to no longer get the same rush with all these things, so he has to push to new extremes all the time as he chases new and intense forms of pleasure and/or pain. Which is kinda scary, if you start thinking about what more he could do to get a rush.

Part of me I see in the character:  Erlhad enjoys the good things in life and so do I, especially when it comes to food. Not that I don't also enjoy a good drink, a trip, fine clothes or other pleasures. He of course is turned to 11 because Slaanesh, but the very seed that started it all is probably something we have in common.

Part of the character I wish I had in me:  Probably his wealth, though I'm not willing to acquire it the way he did. As if I'm ever going to acquire it through hard work alone #thejoysofcapitalism

• Like 4

Interesting. Ive always wanted to try some form of RPG set in the Warhammer universe. 40k is pretty cool but I typically lean more towards fantasy.

Its cool to see you doing those HIIT exercises. Back 2 jobs ago in an attempt to get in shape a coworker and I did those during lunch. I remember they where always rough.

Keep it up brother!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, cn3wton said:

40k is pretty cool but I typically lean more towards fantasy.

My very first character for this challenge was made using the second edition Warhammer Fantasy rules, if you wanna go back to the first or second page of this thread. Ironically, I also signed up for a Play by Post game to try the new 4th edition (which is a lot like 2nd) and my first dice roll gave me Witch Hunter for a career. Quite rare, given the multitude of muddy peasant careers in that game and I've never ran one as a PC, so I'm excited to see where that goes.

22 hours ago, cn3wton said:

Its cool to see you doing those HIIT exercises. Back 2 jobs ago in an attempt to get in shape a coworker and I did those during lunch.

Thanks. Took me long enough to try them out, I was trying to figure out what I could do while locked in, lacking equipment and any appropriate space, since my floors are either wood or marble, neither good for jumping around or touching knees during lunges, burpees etc. Weird how I didn't think of Darebee earlier, but once I did, I found a program that fits me. This one I can do on the marble floor, so far I've only run into easy mode burpees (no pushup) and just one case of lunges.

P.S. I distinctly remember a video of you jumping rope out in the snow, you badass...

Wednesday's update

Workouts: Day 17 done at level 2 (5 sets). Once again, lack of space had me do the kicks as teeps (the forward thrust version of a kick) but that's still good, because my teep form could use improvement and it pushed my cracking hip&knee joints. Pushups were pretty rough too, but I have noticeably gotten better at those, which is a great sign.

Nutrition: Probably the first day of an actual fail, not that I went overboard but I mishandled my meals for sure. Skipped breakfast again and had a cup of milk and a supplement shake as brunch while prepping lunch, some oven-baked chickpeas the SRLF had cooked, which I topped with some smoked pork, cheese and a hard boiled egg. This was had late and it kept me going till pretty late at night, where I had a slice of bread with cheese, presumably as a snack with the SRLF had her dinner. It was only late at night I realized I hadn't had any dinner (or breakfast, either) which would explain my belly ache. That was when I ate an apple with some peanutbutter to quench the hunger, topping it off with a bit of cream cheese afterwards as a protein boost.

RPG challenge:  Switching to something a tag happier for today, probably the best case of a Superhero RPG

GRR5516_600_1024x1024.jpg?v=1553817569

#31DayCharacterCreationChallenge #Day21

Game: Mutants & Masterminds, 3rd edition

The game in a nutshell: Superhero PCs in a game that can be as cartoony or as grim as you want it. Likewise, it can be all about flashy combat or you could focus on the every day life and struggles of such a gifted person.

The good: It's no small feat to create a system that can accomodate all kinds of superpeople, quantify things and make everything work. The 2nd edition, which I've been more familiar with, was very much a toolkit of various powers and while it provided some sample archetypes, it was very much a case of putting your concept together like Lego bricks and trying to fine tune the levels of each power, attribute, skill etc using a common pool of "build points". This made the game's character creation notoriously complicated and I'm glad to see it's been addressed and streamlined in this new edition, with 3-5 "packs" to choose from in every step, leading to quick creation of characters at the same power level. The game sequence seems to have also been streamlined and structured into various scene types (investigation, conflict, roleplay etc) but I can't speak more of it until I've actually played it.

The bad: While streamlined, the core mechanic still can be a bit much to digest and requires a certain degree of mastery and familiarity.  There's also cases of directly importing D&d mechanics, some intact and some tweaked, which can cause confusion. Furthermore, while the main idea still is to roll a d20 and add modifiers, there's no such thing as a set defense or armor class, instead the target has to make some sort of dodge or toughness attack, which means more dice rolls and some disarray in regards to who's rolling and what they're trying to achieve numerically.

The character: Shadowbeast. Since one of my most successful challenges here was based off my favourite of the X-Men, Beast, I decided to use that as my starting point. Lacking the assistance of the other X-Men, my character has to be quite stealthier though. A bit like Batman. So maybe go for a stealthy beast... Panther? Probably, but Marvel's already copyrighted that, so I'll mix all three and use a different name. Shadowbeast is a mutant with the predatory senses and powers of a large feline, which he tries to use to do good and not let the beast inside overtake him. Being a mutant, his identity and general powers are there for all to see, so that together with the anti-mutant prejudice isn't really making things easy for him (also explains why he has to be stealthy in general).

Part of me I see in the character:  Despite his feral looks, Shadowbeast actually studied both law and psychology, specializing on criminology. I share half of that academic training, plus a love of cats and not really enjoying being around people that aren't my close friends. So while I can't pinpoint one major trait we have in common, there's actually many smaller fragments of myself projected into Shadowbeast.

Part of the character I wish I had in me:  This guy has a killer scent. I can't smell most things, even if my life depends upon it. Seriously, save the super strength and agility, I'd be fine just with a proper nose that would allow me to smell things and breathe better. Maybe also snore less at night.

• Like 5

Yes I did once jump rope during a blizzard. Those where the days.

I might just start doing crazy things in the elements again to get me back into the groove of feeling like a badass. Even if its just walking a ways in the deep snow while the dog runs around.

Darebee is really cool and I think a lot of people overlook it because it appears "simple". Everyone (including myself atm) gets this idea in their head that a succesful workout has to be so complicated and so strict.

Keep it up man!

• Like 1

Thursday's update

Workouts: Day 18 done at level 3 (7 sets) since there was no rest between sets and oh look, it's the bloody high knees again.

Nutrition: Pretty decent day. Had a supplement shake, a cup of milk and cream cheese with a hard boiled egg over bread for breakfast. Since we had leftover chickpeas and I had to go to the supermarket, I grabbed some pork which I cooked with some tomato, mushrooom and pepper leftover sauce the SRLF had made for her pasta a while back, thus boosting my dish with protein: pork and chickpeas! Plus there was plenty left for her to try at night when she got back home, where I boiled some pasta for her and had a dish of pasta with pork and veggie sauce too.

RPG challenge:  You probably know this one if you've been following my challenges...

515CC6JEA4L.jpg

#31DayCharacterCreationChallenge #Day22

Game: Shadowrun, 3rd edition

The game in a nutshell: Cyberpunk, but with Fantasy. The tagline is "Man meets Magic and Machine" and that sums it up perfectly if you ask me.

The good: SR is one of those cases of "actually better than it sounds" because "Neuromancer meets Tolkien" isn't exactly catchy. It's been around since 1989 so there's plenty of work done on it already, plus the lore, mainly with updates and reboots of the technology in order to feel futuristic enough, namely the switch to a wireless Matrix and Augmented Reality that took place when the 4th edition came out. The writers have done a good job of putting out plenty of content about the simple things of everyday life in such a world, which helps you get in the mood and portray things. Edition wars are a thing and the latest 6th edition is unanimously considered a flop, rushed out to capitalize on the hype of Cyberpunk 2077, 5th was pretty decent but 3rd is my go to, as it's the one I started with but I also prefer both the mechanics and retrofuturistic aesthetics. There's stiff penalties for rolling untrained skills which pushes everyone to be an all-rounder and avoid min-maxing, there's dice pools to boost your various rolls in a more action-oriented gameplay that's also about managing this resource and I just prefer the aesthetic of physically plugging a wire to your head to enter cyberspace like it's Johnny Mnemonic and not The Matrix just yet.

The bad: It's got a reputation for being crunchy, rules-heavy and at times contradictory, but that to a large extent has to do with the fact it tries to be quite simulationist about things and cover every base. A large part of that is not quite because of the rules, but because of the long lists of spells, hacking programs, cybernetics, weapons, vehicles, drones etc. You won't have to bother with all of them because your character will inevitably be either a spellcaster, hacker, cybered commando, gadget guy etc but you won't completely avoid it either. And it's not just lists, everyone's got their own little mini-game (projecting into the astral plane, summoning spirits and elementals, hacking into stuff, astral combat, cyber combat, drone rigging etc) that might very much end up with them solo-ing the GM while the rest of the group sits idly around the table.

The character: Dovaken. He is a troll shaman and a huge nerd. He is 16 years old, he plays both tabletop and videogame RPGs, he's into Epic Elven Power Metal, he's named himself after his interpretation of some retro RPG character he was into for a while and of course, he follows the Dragonslayer totem. He's basically a huge teenage tool that most of us want to forget we might have had similarities to during our teenage years.

Part of me I see in the character:  I was never into that cheesy over the top metal, but RPGs? *points at challenge*

Part of the character I wish I had in me:  I kinda envy this guy's youthful enthusiasm. Dragonslayer shamans work hard and play hard, which very much describes him. This dude will throw himself into pretty much anything, which is decisively less procrastinating than my approach.

• Like 6
14 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

a huge nerd

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 2

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

22 hours ago, T2sarahconnor said:

Howdy stranger!  I am back and ready to cause some trouble.

Welcome back. You have been sorely missed. Please don't go away again. :D

Friday's update

Workouts: Day 19 done at level 3 (7 sets) and while there were no high knees involved, I feel this does deserve an image.

day19.jpg

I estimated at least 4 burpees per 20sec interval, so that should add up to at least 62 proper burpees (with pushup)

Nutrition: Weird day, but now that I pulled up my data to sum it up it doesn't look that bad. Had a proper breakfast (supplement shake, milk, bread with cream cheese and egg) and was supposed to meet a friend so we could grab a coffee and catch up, then join the SRLF to visit a friendly couple at their place. Just as I was about to whip up some lunch, I got a message saying the folks we'd be visiting usually eat lunch late on Fridays once the dude is done working (remotely, as an IT guy) and that lunch is takeout. I needed something to keep me going till that late (also to prevent me from ordering food while super hungry) so I just ate an apple, which is more carb than protein, but it's still low-cal overall. Despite delays, traffic and a late arrival, we ended up ordering some food which I shared with the SRLF and counted as both a late lunch and dinner, meaning I ate nothing else for the rest of the day. Double-checked the next morning with a quick weigh-in, I'd actually dropped weight since Monday's score so it looks like no harm was done in the end.

RPG challenge:  I'd say today's game is a case of a good idea taken a dark path due to the audience that ended up embracing it.

Agents_Handbook_1024x1024.jpg?v=14971114

#31DayCharacterCreationChallenge #Day23

Game: Delta Green

The game in a nutshell: Contemporary (as in, post-WW2) Call of Cthulhu, with players portraying government agents out to discover, prevent and cover up the supernatural.

The good: Call of Cthulhu does tend to be strictly tied to the era that H.P. Lovecraft wrote his books, so it's nice to see it somewhat modernized (fun fact: this began as a sourcebook in 1997 and became a standalone game in 2016). The timeframe allows use of some interesting time periods, whether you wish to run a game set in "the right now", the 80s Cold War, the 60s-70s of Vietnam, social rights movements and psychedelic drugs, the early Cold War era of the 50s or go all out with Nazi occultist scenarios during WW2. The system, stemming from Call of Cthulhu, is much like Chaosium's other d100 skill based games (CoC, Runequest etc) and as a personal note, I do enjoy the concept of modern people going up against eldritch horrors, thinking they've got it all figured out with their guns and their science. Classic Call of Cthulhu does feel quite retro, steampunky even at times, to the point of caricature, so in a way this update does add back a bit of edge and futility to the horror of it all.

The bad: As mentioned, the game widely suffers from a problematic fanbase. The book focuses more or less on the good ol' U.S. of A. and the "Agencies" it assumes might employ the PCs are all American (CIA, FBI, CDC, SOCOM etc) so not only does it not quite encourage players to portray people of other nationalities working for other agencies, it tends to attract the kind of people who are really into the Cold War stuff, conspiracy theories, alternative history etc.

The character: Peter Buffalo. I feel like I need to put up a DISCLAIMER: THIS IS MEANT PURELY FOR COMEDY/PARODY PURPOSES ONLY and apologize in advance to any American readers if this does hit a bit too close to home. Given the type of people/scenarios this game tends to get involved with, some friends were joking a while back about running a Delta Green game where the characters are QAnon operatives and they're fighting against all that QAnon bullcrap that's actually real. Peter Buffalo is one such parody character, an influencer, YouTuber and social media pundit that fancies himself a journalist and "revealer of truth".

Part of me I see in the character: This being a parody character, I should point out he's only meant to poke fun at this madness and not seriously explore such a fictional scenario with any pretense of seriousness. The only aspect I might be able to relate with is perhaps having better social/mental than physical attributes. It's a choice made mainly to accommodate the character's concept, but it's probably (fortunately) the only thing I could probably relate to this guy.

Part of the character I wish I had in me:  This'll be a first, but none at all.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Saturday's update

Workouts: Day 20 done at level 2 (5 sets) and surprise, the high knees are back. Didn't quite kill me that bad though to be honest, the planks were harder and had me shaking, especially since I was actively trying to keep my waist in and round up my back.

Nutrition: Solid day through and through. Had a cup of milk and yoghurt with walnuts and honey for breakfast. Bought and cooked up some more pork with peppers and mushrooms to protein-boost my leftover chickpeas (plus some feta cheese on the side) for lunch, then cooked up some ground beef into bolognese, which I put over leftover spaghetti for dinner.

RPG challenge:  Switching to a lighter tone for today

61+mniBkGYL._AC_.jpg

#31DayCharacterCreationChallenge #Day24

Game: Kids on Bikes

The game in a nutshell: A game out to recreate the nostalgia, emotion and adventure of 80s movies like E.T. and the Goonies, as well as their modern remixes a la Stranger Things. Much better analysis and review by Seth Skorkowsky here.

The good: Theme aside, it's a pretty rules light game, easy to teach to people and with a lot of collective world building. There's emphasis on storytelling over rules and math, plus everyone gets to provide some input, so they're invested in the experience.

The bad: While the collective thing takes a lot of work off the GM's shoulders, it also means they can't prep for something ahead of time and must do the work on the spot. Also, both due to the game's theme and its lack of character improvement/progression, it's best suited for one shots and short adventures, not long ongoing campaigns.

The character: Taylor Buntler. Taylor's everyone's friend, the funny and probably harmless kid with a heart of gold. In the vein of comedy sidekick characters like Chunk of the Goonies and Dustin of Stranger Things, Taylor is fiercely protective of his friends, who he can crack up with a joke even under the most tense of situations. As long as it doesn't involve any spiders, snakes, bugs or other "crawlies".

Part of me I see in the character: I like to be the one who makes others laugh and I'm told I'm pretty likeable, at least as far as surface level relationships go. Taylor's humor comes naturally as much as it is a self defense mechanism when he's in a tight spot.

Part of the character I wish I had in me:  I grew up in an apartment, at the spot where two major highways meet. There's never been any (safe) area around to ride a bike and I actually had to hit 12 years of age before I learned how to ride one, so Taylor having a bike and being able to ride it around town at a younger age is something I'd like to have experienced.

• Like 5

Sunday's update

Workouts: Day 21 done at level 2 (5 sets) and once again, it was the pushups that gave me somewhat of a hard time. On the bright side though, skwaatz felt pretty effortless (crosses fingers for impending quad DOMS) and while tough, the pushups were done better than when I started the program, ergo improvement.

Nutrition: More positive steps. Breakfast consisted of the usual stuff: supplement (today shaken in freshly squeezed orange juice instead of water), milk, bread with cream cheese and hard boiled egg. I also boiled some potatoes, which the SRLF kindly mashed to serve me as lunch alongside leftover pork&veggies with a side of feta. Ate the last serving of leftover spaghetti bolognese for dinner and considering how we watched the entire season of Street Food: Latin America on Netflix (by the same people who made Chef's Table) afterwards, it's amazing how I didn't even have a snack before heading to bed.

RPG challenge:  I've been hearing about today's game for quite some time and the challenge was a chance to actually read it. Less crunchy and rules-heavy than I was led to believe, it's still a fascinating concept and world that takes some time to digest, albeit I might add I was pleasantly surprised, to the point where I might try this one out instead of Shadowrun next time I feel like scratching that particular itch...

284022.jpg

#31DayCharacterCreationChallenge #Day25

Game: Eclipse Phase, 2e

The game in a nutshell: This is going to be quite the nutshell... It is the far future and we've colonized most of our solar system. Humanity messed with genetics, hard, eradicating the flaws of its own body and either raising animals to human levels of sapience or outright creating consciousness out of hard code. We also found a way to upload our consciousness and effectively live forever as backup files in the cloud to be downloaded into bodies, Altered Carbon style. Oh and we also started World War 3, which ended with a rogue, self-improving AI called TITAN basically deleting 90% of humanity out of existence. Earth is now mostly ruled by robots like it's The Matrix movie all over again, while humanity has taken to the colonies and broken off into various groups (hypercapitalist, neoanarchist, isolationist etc). Last but not least, we discovered wormhole gateways to other parts of the universe, which are only now being explored. Players are normally agents of Firewatch, a secret group with agents from all factions investigating and facin threats to humanity's existence, from TITAN-related stuff to cosmic horror and others, but they can just as easily play a criminal/pirate campaign, a gatecrasher campaign (exploring what's beyond gateways) and so on.

The good: Transhumanism is a subject usually left aside by most of science fiction and barely touched upon by cyberpunk, with its cybernetics and cyberspace. This game embraces the concept fully and explores questions like the meaning and limits of humanity or the ethics of genetics and neuro-computing, all wrapped up in futuristic space adventuring. Bonus points to the authors explicitly stating that everything in this game is political and everything in this book is affected by their own biases, which are all about inclusivity, tolerance, liberty and antifascism. The concept of keeping your mental self (ego) while switching physical containers (meshes) allows players to adapt to the requirements of different missions, try out various alternates of their core character in a single playthrough while also functioning as a save/load mechanism, to the point where I wonder how come this hasn't been adapted into a videogame (Eclipse Phase/Mass Effect crossover, anyone?). Furthermore, while the setting's history, technology, terminology and everyday life stuff can be a lot to take in, the 400+ pages of the core rulebook are all you need to get started, as they include everything the GM needs, from an analysis of the world to adventure/campaign guidelines for several different approaches, examples and a bestiary.

The bad: Built on a d100 skill based system, the game isn't exactly crunchy (it even provides archetype. profession and gear packs to speed things up) but it can hit a confusing point that slows the game down with rules and bookkeeping. Mesh changes should normally take place between sessions, but if you start throwing in rules about piloting spacecrafts, zero g gravity, electronics hacking, mental and genetic hacking, sanity, trauma... it can pile up.

The character: Salari. Names are a human thing, so being an uplifted (genetically raised to human levels of intelligence) octopus, this one has no use for an actual name besides the alias Salari. A calm and talented genetic engineer who sees their craft as both an art and a science, Salari is quite comfortable switching meshes but generally prefers that of a Neo-Octomporh, which most closely resembles their original form. Though somewhat limited in his perception of the intricacies of human nature and society, Salari's experience has been enough to make him a staunch supporter of Uplifted rights and he has chosen to join the Titanian Enclave, a group of technosocialists who essentially believe that technology can and should be used to improve life for everyone.

Seriously, how cool is it to have such character options? I was torn between this one and a cyber sentience created out of pure code.

Spoiler

upliftoctopus.jpg

SERIOUSLY FOLKS, WHERE'S MY MONEY?

Part of me I see in the character: You'd think an octopus can't be a relatable character, but my love for these animals aside, bless this one's 3 hearts and 9 brains full of socialist fury. I don't know about the techno- aspect of their philosophy, our worlds are different but I do believe social reform will lead to a more ethical application of science and technological progress, not the other way around.

Part of the character I wish I had in me:  Being still an octopus in their core,  Salari sees violence as part of the natural circle and is somewhat psychologically hardened, if not a bit indifferent, when it comes to that. I'm guessing being essentially immortal with a backup of yourself you can download into a new body might have something to do with that. Anyway, I'm as averse to violence as any reasonable person, but there are times (during protest marches especially) where I wish I had his cooler, more pragmatic view of things unshaken by the psychological intensity of violence or threat thereof.

• Like 6
44 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

considering how we watched the entire season of Street Food: Latin America on Netflix (by the same people who made Chef's Table) afterwards, it's amazing how I didn't even have a snack before heading to bed.

I would have had a hard time with that.  Great job!  Will have to watch that series right after I eat so I am full.

• Thanks 1

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

Monday's update

Workouts: Second Rest Day of the challenge. Woke up feeling real heavy, stiff and exhausted, which meant I was in no condition to get the workout done in the morning. Then the day went on and I got too caught up with stuff, so I ate lunch and then remembered I still gotta do my workout. Which was postponed to after my gaming news shift (where I stood up for myself against a da boss and scored a victory) but by that time it was way too late and I was way too spent.

Nutrition: Pretty good day all around. Gobbled my supplement and milk, then had 2 eggs sunny side up, finishing off breakfast with some wholegrain tahini poured over an apple. Had some chicken breasts to play with in the kitchen and since it's orange season, I looked up recipes and got one with quinoa, allowing me to use some we had left since it's not something we usually eat. So I made some chicken with orange sauce over quinoa, which I had for lunch as well as dinner.

RPG challenge:  Sticking with the space sci-fi thing and another game I've been meaning to read for quite some time now

226996.jpg

#31DayCharacterCreationChallenge #Day26

Game: Stars Without Number (Revised Edition)

The game in a nutshell: This one belongs the Old School Revival/Renaissance family of games, harkening back to the early editions of D&d (and 60s-70s sci fi) not so much in terms of rules but more in terms of feeling. Randomly rolled characters, sandbox exploration over a specific story arc, high lethality and so on. It comes with a basic setting in the book, but its 325 pages are more or less filled with tools, tables, ideas and seeds to let you craft the type of game you want to experience. Since I only did a quick read, you can look up this review video by Ben Milton who runs the Questing Beast YT channel and specializes in these OSR games.

The good: As mentioned, this book is a toolkit so it doesn't so much provide a game but rather fuels your creativity and gives you some tools to shape it with. Character creation can be quick through random rolls, backgrounds and equipment packs, but there's also the option of building the specific character you have in mind, customizing their background, skills and gear if you want to. I went for a pretty vanilla character, skipping options for psychic powers and alien or AI/robotic characters (but it's all there if you want to use it) so I kept scrolling down the book like "There's more? What else is there to be covered?" but yes, there's quite a bunch of stuff. There's rules for pure, arcane space magic in case psychic stuff wasn't enough for you, rules for vehicles and chase scenes, rules for massive starships and space combat and how each character can contribute, rules for friggin' giant mechas, there's tools for creating adventures and tables with random adventure seeds, random planet and society generation, random antagonists and so on, there's rules for factions and monsters, for high level uber heroic characters and how to challenge them, rules for a light or all-out transhuman game... Which in turn means you can use this thing to run pretty much any flavor of sci fi you want, from Star Wars space opera, Star Trek space exploration and Mandalorian style episodic adventures around the universe to Pacific Rim style Mecha action, 40K homebrew, claustrophobic delving into alien infested meteorites and ruined spaceships and anything else you can think of.

The bad: Being such a free form, toolkit kind of book, this might leave newbie players and GMs without a clear direction of what to do, where to go and how to use it. GMs especially might get a case of decision paralysis trying to figure out where to start and what to use, or they might accidentally overburden themselves if they get excited and want to use ALL the things. I do however believe this is mostly an issue at the start, as long term, it basically alleviates the GM from having to come up with a massive campaign idea, as instead they just roll with wherever the story and players take it, equipped as they are with the tools and random tables to fill in the blanks as required.

The character: Dimitris Pappas, because the random name tables had a Greek sub-table (surprisingly accurate, too) so of course I chose to use it. Dimitris is a pretty bland bureaucrat, a cog in the greater machine that mostly goes by unnoticed. Which was great for his side-hustle, as he used his Quartermaster position to smuggle supplies and fence items. This had him hone his perception and stealth skills almost as much as his social ones, in order to keep his operation and himself protected. Sadly, he was exposed when a deal went bad and a smuggled toxic bioluminescent object exploded in his warehouse. Now a wanted criminal for his actions, as well as embezzling money on his way out the door, Dimitris has gone rogue and is looking for a new life among the stars while trying to dodge his pursuers.

Part of me I see in the character: I've been a g-man and my work is heavily intertwined with the grinding gears of the system, so I can relate to this character in that aspect. Haven't done anything illegal though, just to be clear.

Part of the character I wish I had in me:  This is a character that came about using random rolls and he's pretty bland/generic so far until he's actually been used in a couple of games in order to develop, so it's hard to say. I do however think of him as having a bit of that early Han Solo scoundrel charm, so I'm gonna go with that.

• Like 4
22 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Hey @Rurik Harrgath (and possibly @shaar.  And a bunch of others)

Forget Mork Borg or Xas Irkalla. I just stumbled upon the perfect blend of Brutal Legend and Metalocalypse

Oh. My. Great, Glorious Gods of Metal!  I love it 😎 🤘

See the source image

• Like 1

[Level ?] Altered Outrider (Tech Shaman/Lightning Tempest)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Armor of the First Altered (rare), ECA-AR4 'Space Revenant' rifle (rare), Outrider's pack & Enoch alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Tuesday's update

Workouts: Back on track with Day 22 done at level 2 (5 sets). High knees had my quads fired up early, but no DOMS or lingering pain, neither was I out of breath. It was actually the mountain climbers that killed me, more specifically my arms and shoulders. Don't know if it's got to do with piled up exhaustion in that region or just lacking arm strength. I can hold a plank for quite a while, though pressure does get applied to the core and legs as well in that case. Had some issues with pushups the following day too, so there might be something going on there, but more on that in tomorrow's update.

Nutrition: Solid day, maybe a bit questionable as far as dinner is concerned.  Breakfast was milk, supplement in orange juice and yoghurt with some wholegrain tahini. Ate some leftover pork with leftover quinoa, which I mixed together and heated up in a pan with some coconut milk, wasn't amazing but wasn't as bad as I was afraid it might be either. I then salvaged a head of cauliflower before it went bad, cooking it with potatoes and red sauce for the SRLF (she loves that stuff, I can't eat it). I also cooked some XL dark beans we'd been soaking in water, boiled them first and then put them in the oven with onion, garlic, carrots, peppers and some tomato sauce. Came out quite amazing and I had the beans for dinner. Tried to protein-boost that dish with a bit of cheese, smoked pork and a slice or two of smoked turkey. Wasn't perfect, but it was better than having a carb-only dish for dinner. 

RPG challenge:  For starters, I'd like to point out I just discovered that Iron Kingdoms, that steampunk fantasy game I did during the early days of this challenge, is apparently going to release a 5e D&d compatible version. Can't say I'm excited to see them sell out and hop on the 5e bandwagon, but I understand the marketing reasons for it, especially if the company is running low on revenue. And frankly, their game system played too much like a miniatures skirimish one rather than an RPG, so this might actually lure me back into that world if it utilizes the more streamlined game engine of 5e. Anyway, on to today's game.

155572.png

#31DayCharacterCreationChallenge #Day27

Game: Shadow of the Demon Lord

The game in a nutshell: The last days of a dying fantasy world, with players trying to delay or even avert the coming of the eponymous Demon Lord and his servants pouring into the world through rifts in reality. Kind of a mix between Warhammer Fantasy and D&d, it's Eberron variety especially, since there's blackpowder weapons and a playable Clockwork race. Which makes absolute sense, since its creator worked in both those games. Despite its grimdark tone, the game describes itself as "horror fantasy" which means that while it's dark in themes (demons, gore etc) and mechanics (namely, sanity and corruption), it doesn't cut down on the characters' resources, supplies, magic etc. Might be a good system/setting to try and run a game in the vein and atmosphere of Darkest Dungeon.

The good: I haven't played this one so I can't say much from experience, but what struck me mostly while reading the book was the advancement/levelling mechanic. For starters, there's a party level, not individual character levels. Second, each player picks an ancestry (race) from the available human, changeling, clockwork, dwarf, goblin or orc which gives them a fixed, mostly average set of starting attributes, mildly randomized by some backstory, profession and wealth rolls on various tables. After completing their first adventure, the party hits level 1 and each character picks a Novice Path from the usual (generic) ones of Magician, Priest, Rogue or Warrior. Then at level 3, each character chooses their Expert Path, with each of the 4 previous archetypes providing 4 choices for a total of 16 options (i.e. the Path of Faith has Cleric, Druid, Oracle and Paladin) and I should note that one's choice of Novice Path does not limit their choice of Expert Path; you could very well be a Rogue that chooses Druid, for example. Still with me? Ok, upon hitting level 7, characters can either choose a second Expert Path or choose a Master Path. Master Paths are broken into Paths of Magic (Abjurer, Transmuter etc, think all of D&d's schools of magic, plus stuff like shadow magic, chronomancy, teleportation etc) and Paths of Skill (Acrobat, Dervish, Duelist, Exorcist, Templar etc) with 32 options in each category. Now with all that in mind, characters gain attribute improvements, hit points, skills and various abilities from one of their chosen paths or even their ancestry (race) on every level. So level 1 means picking a Novice Path, level 2 grants you improvements based on your Novice Path, at level 3 you pick an Expert Path, at level 4 you get bonuses based on your ancestry (race) and so on. Every level, you turn to one of your choices thus far or the new option provided at that level and gain benefits accordingly. Now to sum it up as I hope you're wrapping your head around this, it's a very modular system for character advancement. Previous choices matter and there's always something exciting to gain at every level. There's a ton of potential combinations you can pull off by combining the paths of each tier and best of all in my eyes, you get to procedurally specialize your character, depending on how the story progresses and what you see them going for. There's no need to plan ahead from the start (as in 3.x D&d where you had to think of feat trees down the road or stuff you needed to invest in so you could qualify for your prestige class of choice) neither does your initial choice of race/class at the start of the game means you're committed to it for the remainder of it.

The bad: Frankly, there is little bad I can say about SotDL, besides a somewhat messy character sheet that's got the info spread all over the place, but if I had to pick one thing, it would be its magic system, and that's mostly because I'm not a fan of Vancian magic systems (as in, modelled after how magic works in the Dying Earth books by Jack Vance, meaning spells always function in a fixed manner, there's never a chance to not-cast or miscast a spell, casters know and can cast a specific amount of them each day then must rest to regain them, basically the D&d way of dealing with spells).  SotDL uses a system similar to that of D&d that allows for more spell spamming and tries to balance that out by making spells hard to learn. I can only showcase this through an example though, explaining the Paths earlier already feels like it was a mess.

So let's take D&d as a baseline. In it, spellcasters get a table where, depending on their level, they get a fixed number of "spell slots" for every spell level, which they can then expend to cast spells. In that sense, if a character knows five 1st level spells and has three 1st level spell slots per day, every time they cast a 1st level spell, they expend a 1st level spell slot, so each day they can cast a single spell three times, or one spell twice and then another, or three different spells once.

SotDL uses Power instead of Level to determine how many spell slots a character gets per day, with advancement in certain Paths raising a character's Power and thus improving their spellcasting. However, the number you get on that similar-looking table does not equate to spell slots, but rather how many times that character can cast each spell of that level per day. So, importing the character of the previous example, if they know five 1st level spells and their Power is high enough to get a 3 on the 1st level spells on that table, they can cast each of those five spells they know three times. That's a total of 15 spells per day, even if they can't cast one of those spells for a fourth time in the same day. You can see how this has the potential go to off the rails in terms of spell-spamming and power, especially when spells always function like clockwork and there's no backfire or magical mishap chance, therefore why it needs to be balanced by harder access to spells.

The character: Ragnar. Despite the working conditions of the mine where he's been toiling away like a good dwarf, Ragnar enjoys the finer things in life, as is evidence by his cleanliness and his well groomed beard that falls over a glorious pot belly, forged over the years through meticulous consumption of dwarven ale. An honourable character, though sometimes a little full of himself, Ragnar has lost most of his clan to hordes of the Shadow Lord's demons, thus hates them with a burning passion only dwarves can harbor. There is one though, known as The Dark Deceiver, who holds a special place in that bonfire inside him. Responsible for the corruption and downfall of his stronghold, Ragnar hopes to one day take down The Dark Deceiver and for that purpose, has saved a silver-tipped bolt for the day he finally gets to shoot it right into the demon's hellish heart.

Part of me I see in the character: I may not be as meticulous in my self-care and grooming as Ragnar, but I certainly do enjoy a fine meal and a good drink.

Part of the character I wish I had in me:  Hard to tell with a vanilla out-of-the-box character, but I'm gonna go for the "Has travelled extensively" part. This gave him knowledge of an extra language (which I wouldn't mind, especially if that came from experience and travel instead of classes) and considering he's a dwarf and a miner, that puts some context into it. I've been around, but would love to have travelled extensively. Can this whole covid thing be over already?

• Like 5
11 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Might be a good system/setting to try and run a game in the vein and atmosphere of Darkest Dungeon.

You have my attention...

11 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

After completing their first adventure, the party hits level 1 and each character picks a Novice Path from the usual (generic) ones of Magician, Priest, Rogue or Warrior. Then at level 3, each character chooses their Expert Path, with each of the 4 previous archetypes providing 4 choices for a total of 16 options (i.e. the Path of Faith has Cleric, Druid, Oracle and Paladin) and I should note that one's choice of Novice Path does not limit their choice of Expert Path; you could very well be a Rogue that chooses Druid, for example. Still with me? Ok, upon hitting level 7, characters can either choose a second Expert Path or choose a Master Path. Master Paths are broken into Paths of Magic (Abjurer, Transmuter etc, think all of D&d's schools of magic, plus stuff like shadow magic, chronomancy, teleportation etc) and Paths of Skill (Acrobat, Dervish, Duelist, Exorcist, Templar etc) with 32 options in each category.

That is so much character class possibility that I really can't even wrap my head around the inter-customization potential 🤣

• Like 1

[Level ?] Altered Outrider (Tech Shaman/Lightning Tempest)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Armor of the First Altered (rare), ECA-AR4 'Space Revenant' rifle (rare), Outrider's pack & Enoch alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Wow that was a heavy description for that game! I will admit that you lost me a few times there. But I was able to find my way back.

... don't know where I got this +1 Mace though.

• Haha 1

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

23 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

You have my attention...

I still believe Heart: The city beneath might be closer to the Darkest Dungeon experience (though that might be because of the art style, to a great extent), but it comes tied to its setting. SotDL is not that weird and distant from vanilla fantasy stuff, so it's easier to digest and easier to modify narratively with less restrictions.

23 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

That is so much character class possibility that I really can't even wrap my head around the inter-customization potential 🤣

Yeah I figured this maze of character options would resonate with you :P

14 hours ago, Red1263 said:

Wow that was a heavy description for that game! I will admit that you lost me a few times there. But I was able to find my way back.

... don't know where I got this +1 Mace though.

This is actually a great segway for me to talk about an amazing 1 page RPG I stumbled upon today and I wanted to post here, I'm sure the humor will resonate with the many U.S. people on these boards

CHUwSSf.jpg

I dare readers to roll a bunch of dice for the tables on the left half and post their results here! :D

Wednesday's update

Workouts: Did Day 23 at level 1 (3 sets) and that's the first workout in this program I'm doing at level 1. This was largely due to shoulder issues once again during the pushups, I had intense pain already from the first set, nearly gave up in the final bunch of the second and did it unbroken and almost couldn't do the last batch during set 3, so I decided to play it safe and call it a day. Later that day, I had an epiphany on this issue. I might be sleeping at an odd position at night and hurting my joints, waist and shoulders especially, so this together with doing the workouts straight out of bed in the morning and with no warmup might be it. That and the fact that I realized I don't hydrate well lately, between the milk/supplement and coffee/tea throughout the day, with no heat to make me any thirstier, the amount of actual, clear water I'm drinking is minimal. I made sure to hydrate better during the day and do a little warmup the morning after and I think it paid off.

Nutrition: Probably the first day of a willing deviation from the playbook. Had a hearty breakfast with my supplement shaken in milk (actually eliminates the former's bad taste!) and two slices of bread, with cream cheese and ham, plus a fried egg on top of each. Lunch was leftover beans which I boosted with bits of smoked pork, ham and some feta cheese. At night and while writing the gaming news, the SRLF was out doing some accounting training with a friend, so since I just couldn't eat any more beans, I ordered some food and it might have been a bit more than the zone guidelines suggest. Still, I felt genuinely hungry (as in, it wasn't compulsive or emotional eating) and it didn't make me heavy on the stomach, so apparently my body needed the fuel? And a quick check on the scale the day after didn't show that much of an uptick. It's these kind of things that don't fully get you of track, but can real easy trick your mind into thinking you can do this again down the line, and that's when it adds up.

RPG challenge:  I ran into this game mid-challenge and it would be on my honourable mentions list for the sheer reason that I could not find the rulebook. Yet, it was meant to be and I did find it a couple of days ago, so here goes!

81Di8dbgs6L.jpg

#31DayCharacterCreationChallenge #Day28

Game: The Ninja Crusade, Second Edition

The game in a nutshell: I mean, the game explicitly cites Naruto and The Ninja Scrolls as inspiration, so @Red1263, @Starpuck and some other anime fans I know would have a field day with this. Though personally I'd prefer to run my games with a tone closer to Wu Tang Clan raps, 80s action movies with ninjas and Hong Kong movies chock full of kung fu. Anyway, the game's world is loosely based on medieval Japan, minus the samurais. "Ninjas" are basically those able to utilize their chi/ki to perform supernatural feats, so the fill in the roles of soldiers, sheriffs, scholars, monks, priests, spies, you name it. Until ninjas murdered the Emperor's wife and daughter, which saw him start the eponymous Ninja Crusade. This justified but somewhat extreme ninjacide was the setting for the first edition of the game, with 2e focusing in the aftermath. Did I mention there's ninjas?

The good: The character creation process is a step by step creation of their personality and backstory, which is great because it covers both those things while giving you the various bonuses and it's only in the final stages that you get to pick the clan they belong to. Sort of a reverse way than most games where you start with a concept in your mind, hammer out race/class/skills and end with background and personality. The gameplay and dice rolling mechanic seems to have a decent flow once you get a grasp of it, even if it sounds a little complicated at first. Furthermore, there's a nice little "balance of the elements" mini-game baked into the system, from getting bonuses for using jutsu (ninja magic) linked to elements your character is attuned with, to a rock-paper-scissors thing of bonuses and penalties when two ninjas are using powers against each other and one is linked to an element that "beats" the other's. 

The bad: As mentioned, the system isn't exactly crunchy or complicated, but it's not the easiest thing to pick up and play either. Also, the game's mechanics are pretty tied to its setting and it'll need some tweaking to be used outside that world.

The character: Michi Kaneko. A silent type, at times brooding even, Michi Kaneko was always more comfortable away from his village and being alone in the wilderness. That's not to say he got away emotionally unscathed when the armies of the Empire erased his village from the face of the Earth, but at least his past had prepared him for a life of self-reliance. Thirsting for vengeance, he joined the war and applied his talents as a scout, infiltrator and reconnaissance expert against the Empire. His affinity for stealth and shadowing attracted the attention of the Kumori clan, who took him in and trained him. The experience left him even more aloof and detached, a perfect tool for the fragile beauty that is Sando Kata, the clan's fearsome shadow queen, who has been sending him out on various kidnapping and assassination missions since the end of the war.

Part of me I see in the character: Although he's a pretty standard "stealthy assassin" ninja, the seeds for Michi Kaneko were planted during the first step of character creation, the selection of his element. Reading the description of Metal resonated with me, so I'll copy it here for you to read as well: "The aspects of bravery, discipline and justice fall under Metal. Followers of Metal are keen on routine and rules and subscribe to the concepts of justice in almost all cases. Like metal, their beliefs are hard to destroy and are sharp enough to cut, but can temper and bend under the right extremes of proof and  rationality. They can be shaped to carry out many different roles in society, but excel as lawmakers and sheriffs."

Part of the character I wish I had in me:  If we're being realistic here (as in, jutsu powers are out of the question) I'd say this character's ability to craft basic tools, by the way something my lizardfolk character in our Sunday Ranger D&d game also shares. I'm terrible with anything crafting or repairs related.

• Like 6

OK BOth of the games you've posted are incredible! I'm VERY tempted to buy and play them (err maybe download the first one...) so here are my rolls for ORKegon:

I am a Merchant Goblin

I have Ghostly Potions

My Wagon is Tough and Clunky

love this GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Haha 2

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines