Shello Moves Forward

Well 2020 was a bust in so many ways.  It's the year that never was, just like my 2020 challenges.  I managed to respawn just in time for the end of the year and I plan to make this one stick.  I know, I've said that before.   It's taken me a lot longer to rebuild my fitnessing life than I expected.  I never actually expected to lose it but here I am.  Despite having a lot of success in previous years I am not looking to get to where I was.   I am looking to move forward.  I'll find that level of fitness again but in a new way that is in front of me, not behind.  But my behind needs some fitness too, amirite?   Hopefully, my loosey goosey roadmap for 2021 is the right combination of the new me and the old me to find a new path forward. 

*For those of you who don't know me I have a bio somewhere but you can check out my roadmaps for the previous years.  My journey is documented by my changing goals.

2021 Roadmap

One thing about the new me is trying to control and plan a little less.   I have more room to be spontaneous, I have more energy to devote to other things, and I feel less guilt about achieving perfection.   But the old me accomplished things and the new me can be lazy and I've strayed from my goals.  This roadmap is attempt to meet the two in the middle.  There are 5 key areas I'd like to improve, or at least devote sufficient energy to.  I've split the year into quarters and set a loose goal for each key area for each quarter. 

Weight

I try to stay away from setting hard weight goals.  I like to focus on the habits to get me there.  But since I recently joined Noom for this exact reason I've set some goals as a guidepost. 

Quarter 1 - Reach 250.  Noom had this goal set to be reached by early March, it's a little later now after the holidays, but it should be attainable.  That's just over a pound a week.  

Quarter 2 - Reach 240.  Not as aggressive as the first quarter but there is some wiggle room built in.

Quarter 3 - Reach 230.  More wiggle room.

Quarter 4 - Reach 225. Assuming I stay on track all year, this goal is far from aggressive.  But the number feels very far off and scary even though the goal each quarter seems reasonable.  Plus it's the holidays. 

Fitness

I've really struggled with fitness in the past year or so.  I seem to have some sort of mental block that resists any efforts to start up again.  I'm literally doing nothing, not even getting enough steps.  I average 4-5,000 steps daily.  

Quarter 1 - Gentle Movement.  I just need to get used to moving again and making it a priority.  I'm thinking this will be things like yoga, shovelglove, walking, bodyweight workouts.  Anything counts in any amount.  

Quarter 2 - Walking.  The weather should start to improve by then and DDG wants to focus on walking as well since he won't be staying as active from his part time job any longer.  This is a great time to make this a part of my daily life and make it a habit 

Quarter 3 - Strength. When I think about exercise that I enjoy it's always lifting that I think of.  Hopefully by this time of the year the gyms will be back to normal and I can start going back and pick this up.  Strength training is a huge part of my big why too.  

Quarter 4 - Wild Card. Who knows where I will be by this time.  I'm leaving this open to see what makes sense at the time.  If I feel no need to add anything then I can just focus on reinforcing habits.  

General Health

I primarily mean nutrition but I really mean this to encompass everything that impacts my food choices like mindfulness, negative thought patterns, stress, sleep, hydration.

Quarter 1 - Keep Noomin'.  I'll focus on the daily Noom lessons and goal setting with my Noom goal coach.  

Quarter 2 - Reinforce Noom habits.  I'm guessing I'll have completed all the daily lessons.  It'll be time to focus on the things I've learned and build on the habits.

Quarter 3 - Life After Noom.  My subscription is up in October so I'll  have to start reinforcing the habits to prepare.

Quarter 4 - Holiday Protocols. Tis the season and all that.  I'll just focus on what I need in order to minimize the impact of the holidays on any successes made during the year. 

Personal Life

The most important relationships in my life are with my kids and with DDG.  2021 will bring a lot of change.  Qbert will be moving off to college at the end of the summer and it'll be Peach and I for the rest of the year.  At the same time, things are going really well with DDG.  We've talked about moving and are just trying to find the right time and balance the affect on our kids.  It won't happen in 2021 but there is some groundwork to get in place so it can happen soon after.

Quarter 1 - Keep the kids on the right path.  Whether they are schooling virtually or in person, they both are struggling to keep their grades up.  Qbert needs coaching (nagging) to keep up with college and scholarship applications.  And I want to spend some quality time with them before things start to change.  

Quarter 2 - Qbert prepares to leave the nest! This time will be spent preparing for the big change. 

Quarter 3 - Time with Peach.  I think Peach has been looking forward to this time her whole life.  She'll probably ignore me the whole time. 

Quarter 4 - Integration.  DDG won't be ready to move in yet but we'll want to make sure Peach is comfortable with it and his boys are prepared for the inevitable. 

Home

My house is a mess.  There are so many projects I want to get done or just need to get done.  Some are just standard maintenance or improvements that need to happen (concrete work, complete some projects that are causing clutter, dry wall damage, etc.  But there are fun projects too.  I have a plan to redo just about every room in the house.  I usually tackle too many projects at a time and don't finish any.  It's time to get the house in order, especially if DDG and his stuff are heading this way.  I've taken my project list and separated them into wants, needs, and high clutter areas.  Each quarter I'll tackle one project from each list. 

Quarter 1 - complete 1 need, 1 want, declutter 1 space

Quarter 2 - complete 1 need, 1 want, declutter 1 space

Quarter 3 - complete 1 need, 1 want, declutter 1 space

Quarter 4 - complete 1 need, 1 want, declutter 1 space

Theoretically, the plan is to align each challenge with the quarter's goals.  I could say I'll update monthly but I won't.  Quarterly updates here would be nice.  Or maybe an update after each challenge.   

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

Quarter 1 home projects (tentative, I could change my mind at any time): 

Needs to get done - Finish the basement closet.  My dad helped build some walls in the basement in 2019.  None of it is really finished. The area that is to be my craft room is in the worst state of disarray.  I am stuck because some stuff needs to be stored in the closet but I never finished completing the drywall work or installing shelves.  Once that is done then the rest of the room can get organized.  

Want to get done - Master bedroom.  I've wanted to redo my master bedroom in a  Moroccan theme for a long time.  My ex wouldn't have it.  Now no one else has any say.  So I'm painting the room purple, including the ceiling.  And adding some moroccan fabrics and accent colors.  It will be marvelous.  

Declutter - There are things hiding under the two bathroom sinks that no one has used in years rendering the spaces practically unusable.  This will change.  

• Like 1

Spoiler

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Mid Quarter Update

It's halfway through the first quarter and time to check in on progress.  Overall I'm very happy seeing the progress so far.  It's tough to imagine where I'll be at the end of the year but it's good to see things are on mostly on track.  

Weight

My goal for 1st quarter involved losing around 16 pounds.  I've lost 6 or so depending on where in the daily fluctuations I am.  This is close enough to half way to make meeting this goal or coming very nearly there a likelihood.   Noom predicts I can reach my goal by the first week of April, assuming my path is consistent. 

Fitness

I am getting more used to being active and getting some fitnessing done.  It's not something I actively avoid anymore.   I'm starting to get bored with just light yoga and starting to look for something with intensity.  That is a good sign.  I am still struggling with making the time consistently for fitnessing but I'm planning to just keep moving in this direction and see if that happens naturally.  I do have issues making time for fitnessing particularly when DDG is around.  I suspect this will be a non issue when we actually live together but in our current dynamic this is a struggle I am working on.  

General Health

This goal is not necessarily going in the direction I intended but it is still moving in the right direction.  I find I am paying less and less attention to the Noom daily lessons and I'm having trouble connecting with my goal coach.  However, my actual goals are moving along nicely.  I've gone from just barely trying and even then being all over the board with what I was working on.  I've found a set of goals that work for me and I just need to keep at them to fine tune them and find the right balance to keep it going.   Food prep has come back as a priority and I'm finding freggy heavy meal options.   Another benefit here is that I'm sticking to my challenges and have enough challenge hype that I'm already thinking about next challenge.  

Personal Life

This goal is a real struggle and mostly because it's not really in my control.   The part that is in my control is happening, but I am not seeing results.  Both kids have several F's.  The strict rules have affected Qbert's mental health so I'm looking for ways to ease up without actually easing up.  At least quality time is working out well.  I'm finding pockets of time each week for both kids, sometimes even at the same time and I'm being really present and appreciating the time.  

Household

These projects are moving along nicely.  Other projects keep popping up but having a clear strategy to finish these before doing others keeps me focused.  The basement closet (needs to get done) is almost done.  It's at least built and waiting for shelves so I can organize stuff to put on them.  The game room closet is decluttered and will soon be getting a paint job and some shelves.  The master bedroom (want to get done) is the most daunting of the projects and the lowest priority so nothing has happened yet except picking up some paint chips to test out.  I did come up with a plan for when to get some painting done so I'm hoping committing to that gets this project moving quickly. 

Spoiler