Checkup is scheduled for tomorrow. Mobility is a mess - over last week I made hardly any progress. Finger isn't swollen so much (but still is a bit), but this showed there are some hard "lumps" inside - those feel like scar tissue under the skin.  Gonna bug the doc for ultrasound. Also sense of touch is weird - one spot is numb-ish, and another one 2 millimeters apart is over-sensitive, both tactile and temperature-wise. 

I think healing may take longer than I hoped and undermine my plans (S&S routine with 40kg bell on 40th b-day)... 

• Like 2

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges: Nothing new right now, focusing on current routine | #16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Bike build

9 hours ago, aramis said:

Checkup is scheduled for tomorrow. Mobility is a mess - over last week I made hardly any progress. Finger isn't swollen so much (but still is a bit), but this showed there are some hard "lumps" inside - those feel like scar tissue under the skin.  Gonna bug the doc for ultrasound. Also sense of touch is weird - one spot is numb-ish, and another one 2 millimeters apart is over-sensitive, both tactile and temperature-wise. 

I think healing may take longer than I hoped and undermine my plans (S&S routine with 40kg bell on 40th b-day)... 

The lumps and numbness do not sound awesome. It's good that you can ask the doctor about it tomorrow.

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Gah! I went for checkup, but it turned out my doc isn't there anymore (don't know why though). Lady at the registration assigned me to another orthopedist - I will be seeing them at Wednesday.  Pity they didn't call me earlier about this. 

• Like 1

Challenges: Nothing new right now, focusing on current routine | #16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Bike build

Checkup - done. 

New doc was more talkative and descriptive, which made me feel way better. 

The lump I feel under the skin is a ligament holding flexor tendons. It is normal this ligament overgrows a bit with such injuries said the doc, so no worries. It should get back to normal, but it will take a lot of time. 

On the other hand, sensory issues are something of moderate concern. Doc said there are two possibilities. First one is nerves were injured slightly and it will take 3-4 months to heal (and everything will be back to normal). Option two is nerves were fractured more than their ability to heal and this will stay for good. 

Bad thing there is no real way to say which way the things will go. Only time will tell. 

• Like 4

Bike build

6 hours ago, aramis said:

On the other hand, sensory issues are something of moderate concern. Doc said there are two possibilities. First one is nerves were injured slightly and it will take 3-4 months to heal (and everything will be back to normal). Option two is nerves were fractured more than their ability to heal and this will stay for good. 

Bad thing there is no real way to say which way the things will go. Only time will tell. 

That seems like the lack of knowing what will happen could be stressful. Fingers crossed that everything heals properly!

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

It's stressful, but there's pretty much nothing I can do to speed things up. I need to suck it up and just do my job :) 

And talking about doing my job - I think I found what I was doing wrong going to elbow. I suppose I tried to use my opposite leg as a counterweight more than pushing the other leg against the floor. And "pulling" myself  on the elbow (more horizontal chest movement) works better then just "rolling" on it. 

• Like 1

Bike build

Another week...

I'm pushing my limits bit by bit. Another 30 seconds less rest between sets on S&S routine - so now I only rest extra 30sec between 3x20 40kg swings and 2x20 32kg swings (sets done EMOM), and extra 30 sec between swings and getups (1,5 min instead of 1 min as described in Pavel's time goal).

I was considering introducing one set of 40kg getups, but seems I'm too afraid. I was panickily looking for reasons not to. Well, what can I say... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Maybe I need more time to overcome fear of repeating the injury. For sure I will try to move with my training outside as soon as weather allows. Dropping the bell will be much less of a stressor there :) 

• Like 2

Bike build

On 1/21/2021 at 9:21 AM, aramis said:

Checkup - done. 

New doc was more talkative and descriptive, which made me feel way better. 

The lump I feel under the skin is a ligament holding flexor tendons. It is normal this ligament overgrows a bit with such injuries said the doc, so no worries. It should get back to normal, but it will take a lot of time. 

Ah. I hope the nerves are only slightly injured and that you will see them improve over the next few months.

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

I made an experiment. 

I tried one-arm swigs, and found my left hand  can manage 24 kg :D 

Going with lower weight, I decided to cut on rest between sets. I did first 60 reps non-stop (alternating hands every 10 swings), and after short rest - the remaining 40 reps. 

With getups I also experimented. I did first two (1R + 1L) with usual 32kg bell (as a warm-up), but for second set I tried 40kg ! 

Right side went okay, but on left I failed to get on elbow - tried two times. After second failure I didn't want to risk anymore and got back to 32kg for reminder of my training. 

Anyway...

WWAAAGGGHHH!!!!

I feel like some badass Orc Berserker!

• That's Metal 1

Bike build

Today was crappy day.

I've been hit by "fuck-it-all" mood and almost ditched my training. The only thing that forced me to do something was knowledge I will hate myself even more if I won't exercise. I know it's negative motivation, but I'm quite proficient at hating myself, so... I'd rather not.

Anyway - I did some swings with 32kg and 10 getups with same weight. Not a full routine, but as I said - it was something.

Bike build

7 minutes ago, aramis said:

Anyway - I did some swings with 32kg and 10 getups with same weight. Not a full routine, but as I said - it was something.

...is better than nothing. :) 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

Last week was a mess. Wednesday I got stuck at work, so had to make my training on Thursday. Taking Friday as rest day, I did nice S&S routine at Saturday - no extra rest time, 3x20 40kg swings and the rest (swings and getups) with 32kg. Strangely, somewhere mid swings I started suffering from a headache. It was strange, because most usual things inducing headache were out of the list. Last time I had such thing I thought it was because sinuses inflammation I was going through... But this time I'm (relatively) healthy... was this caused by blood pressure peaking because weight and lack of extra rest? Another thing to investigate... 

Anyway, this challenge came to an end, so it's time for a little summary.

My main goal here was to get back to 32kg kettlebell and find a way to deal with (or find a way around) my injury. This was achieved, so I think overall this challenge here was a success. 

As side quest I wanted to refine my form - taking advice from @Elastigirl I spent some extra time just getting on elbow with 24kg focusing on how my body moves, how weight shifts etc and I think I found what I did wrong earlier. So another WIN :D 

Thank you Warriors for warm welcome and kind words :) 

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Bike build