Waanie: 2021 relay-challenge part 1

Waanie

In 2020, almost everything went different than planned. In 2020, my challenges didn't go well and I feel like my fitness has stagnated.

In 2021, I'm going to do my challenges differently: I'm going to set myself some "milestone" goals for the year and relay my challenges to complete them. No more "do x training y times a week" goals, but "complete goal z this/next/later challenge". Hopefully it will give me more focus and make me feel more accomplished. I want to complete at least 1 milestone per challenge (8 or 9 total in 2021). Long list of possible milestones:

Spoiler

Strength

• Complete a set with 5 push ups
  • Complete a set with 5 pull ups
  • Hold an L-sit for 10 seconds

Flexibility

• Front splits (one side)
  • Side splits
  • Comfortable deep squat with heels on the ground
  • Downward dog with heels on the ground & forward fold with palms on the ground
  • Comfortable bridge

Endurance

• 20km hike
  • 5km run
  • 500km walking/running after January 1st

Other

• Climb a 5c in the overhang
  • Climb 3 different indoor lead routes
  • 5s freestanding handstand
  • Get under 58kg (currently 62kg)

For this first challenge, I chose the following goals:

1. Complete this challenge: Get to 5 push ups
    How: train push ups 3x per week
    Minimum effort: do 3 sets of push ups on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday
    Preferred effort: do a full strength-workout on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday
  2. Complete next challenge: Hike 20km
    How: increase mileage each week
    Minimum effort: take a 5km/7.5km/7.5km/10km/10km hike in weeks 1/2/3/4/5
    Preferred effort: as minimum effort, with 2 extra 30-60 minutes walks/hikes that week
  3. Complete later challenge: Get the front splits
    How: stretch every day
    Minimum effort: stretch hip flexors and hamstrings every day, test splits once a week
    Preferred effort: as minimum effort, with GMB's mobility workout on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday
  • Like 5
4 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Love your approach, and your list of possible milestones is very exciting!

Thanks :D. I hope to complete at least some of the exciting milestones this year :lol:.

At the beginning of the month, I fell ill and had to keep bedrest for about 2 weeks. After another week, I'm now finally at the stage where I can walk a few kilometers without getting dizzy :). All in all, I walked for over an hour between errands, a lunch walk and a "just because" walk. I'm really glad that I actually can go outside again without problems, even though the weather is terrible.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Such a cool approach, hope it works out for you and you'll crush your goals! 

I already feel that having small goals make the treshold to do the thing actually smaller. For example, doing a strength workout is a "thing", while doing 3 sets of push ups is just something to do between other things. Especially combining stretching my hips/legs between sets of push ups makes every thing feel very efficient ;). I did 3x8 negative + knee push ups today, and did my stretches already. I will probably do another set of stetches in the evening, since I've found it relaxing to just muck around for about half an hour in the evening.

I feel really uninspired to start making spreads for my bullet journal. I still have to do something for January, for this challenge, and maybe for random yearly things? It might just be analysis paralysis though, and maybe I should just start. It doesn't help that we have no idea how covid is going to develop, and whether the lockdown will be lifted half of January.

• Like 1

Also, I've started to set up a raspberry pi because I want to get rid of all those ads that my TV plays whenever I turn on something from Youtube and the like. I don't mind ads at the beginning too much (as long as it's one or two), but it's finally reached the point that I'm motivated enough to put in the effort of setting up a system. It's a bit of a hassle to get the OS nice and accessible from anywhere, but I'm almost at the stage that I can put it in a cupboard and access it remotely :).

• Like 1

Also, I've started to set up a raspberry pi because I want to get rid of all those ads that my TV plays whenever I turn on something from Youtube and the like. I don't mind ads at the beginning too much (as long as it's one or two), but it's finally reached the point that I'm motivated enough to put in the effort of setting up a system. It's a bit of a hassle to get the OS nice and accessible from anywhere, but I'm almost at the stage that I can put it in a cupboard and access it remotely :).

7 hours ago, Waanie said:

I feel really uninspired to start making spreads for my bullet journal. I still have to do something for January, for this challenge, and maybe for random yearly things? It might just be analysis paralysis though, and maybe I should just start. It doesn't help that we have no idea how covid is going to develop, and whether the lockdown will be lifted half of January.

wouldn't count on it too much.. what kind of setup do you usually do? are you stuck on the artsy aspect or just the practical? 

• Like 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

13 hours ago, KB Girl said:

wouldn't count on it too much..

True enough. I do need new hiking boots soon though, so I'm hoping that the shops will open again some time in the next month.

13 hours ago, KB Girl said:

what kind of setup do you usually do? are you stuck on the artsy aspect or just the practical? 

I typically go for the practical aspect: it holds my todo lists and my agenda. I sometimes try something artsy, but my drawing is terrible and I don't enjoy being creative like that.

Normally, I have a 2 pager for the month with the calendar and meetings in there. I also put the larger and/or more important tasks there. I then have a page for each week with tasks per day and a block with tasks for the week. Sometimes I have random pages like a NF challenge-page, a gratitude-page, an idea-for-X-page, etc.

After 2 weeks of bed rest and a week (and a half?) of taking it slow, I can feel myself being weaker and having less endurance. I'm sore somewhere all the time now, which is not surprising. Today it's my shoulders, from the push ups. The positive is that I'm at my lowest weight in years (60kg) because I also ate much less. Still, it's frustrating to see my fitness being decreased so significantly though.

• Like 2

This New Year's Eve is super weird. I'm on my own, since we are in lockdown and my boyfriend decided to go to bed early. I'm joining the rest of the country by watching TV and chatting a bit with people. I considered also going to bed early, but I want to stand still by the end of the year and make the day feel a little bit special. Christmas didn't feel like a special day, and I didn't want to stay stuck in the blandness that was most of 2020. Does that make sense?

Hopefully next year, we'll celebrate New Year's Eve  with friends again.

• Like 1

It does make sense, I hope it was a little bit special. 

De beste wensen 😘

On 12/31/2020 at 11:17 AM, Waanie said:

I typically go for the practical aspect: it holds my todo lists and my agenda. I sometimes try something artsy, but my drawing is terrible and I don't enjoy being creative like that.

Normally, I have a 2 pager for the month with the calendar and meetings in there. I also put the larger and/or more important tasks there. I then have a page for each week with tasks per day and a block with tasks for the week. Sometimes I have random pages like a NF challenge-page, a gratitude-page, an idea-for-X-page, etc.

maybe just don't plan ahead too much then, definitely analysis paralysis. Go ahead, set something up, change it when needed, who cares what a mess you'll make :)

• Like 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

It does make sense, I hope it was a little bit special. 

De beste wensen 😘

De beste wensen :). It was a bit special; I was chatting with my parents and watching TV all night; it's one of the few evenings where I actually enjoy watching TV all evening. 

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

maybe just don't plan ahead too much then, definitely analysis paralysis. Go ahead, set something up, change it when needed, who cares what a mess you'll make :)

Fair enough. That's actually the setup that I have now: I have made my calendar for January, reserved some pages in front of it and made my NF spread + week 1 spread. I can make the others when needed.

Hello there!  Maaaan I Loooooove this set up you got.  So great!  I might someday steal it.  :)

Here to follow along on a well thought out and super well set approach.

• Like 1

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

22 hours ago, Waanie said:

This New Year's Eve is super weird. I'm on my own, since we are in lockdown and my boyfriend decided to go to bed early. I'm joining the rest of the country by watching TV and chatting a bit with people. I considered also going to bed early, but I want to stand still by the end of the year and make the day feel a little bit special. Christmas didn't feel like a special day, and I didn't want to stay stuck in the blandness that was most of 2020. Does that make sense?

Hopefully next year, we'll celebrate New Year's Eve  with friends again.

It makes perfect sense and I really hope so too! My new year was reading a book on my lonesome...

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Hello there!  Maaaan I Loooooove this set up you got.  So great!  I might someday steal it.  :)

Here to follow along on a well thought out and super well set approach.

Thanks, and steal away! I'm really excited about this approach as well, I really hope I'll be able to combine longer-term goals and achieving things short-tem this way ;).

13 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

It makes perfect sense and I really hope so too! My new year was reading a book on my lonesome...

Happy Newyear! Reading a book sounds even lonelier than watching TV and chatting with people who're watching the same. I hope you at least had a nice book ;).

Today I was thinking about going for a somewhat longer walk, but apparently my body needs more time than I thought to recover from 3 weeks of doing nothing, of which 2 were bedrest. All in all, my walk this morning was 3km, and in the end I had some small aches in my legs. I stretched immediately afterwards, and now they feel fine again. I'm suddenly glad that I didn't set any goals for week 0 ;).

The "doing nothing" is also taking a toll on my mental health: I feel like I should do more of everything, it's becoming harder to get over past mistakes and I'm getting more and more unmotivated to do stuff. Fortunately the vacation will be over after this weekend, so that I can feel useful again and also my cleaning lady will do the cleaning again. The days will also slowly but surely get longer again, which might also help.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Waanie said:

Happy Newyear! Reading a book sounds even lonelier than watching TV and chatting with people who're watching the same. I hope you at least had a nice book ;).

It's funny, but it didn't feel very lonely. It just felt like a normal day. Some days it hits really hard and some times it's fine. 
I did, started the Watch arc of the Discworld series. :D 

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines