Fonzico shakes it off (shake it off)

Fonzico

Come on now friends, can't we all stand to shake 2020 off a little?!

I have a lot of habits, physical and mental that I would like to shed myself of, and replace with stuff that's going to make me feel good and happy and calm. We cannot dictate our circumstances, but we can change how we respond to them. 

Don't get me wrong, I am ALL for forgiving ourselves for whatever this past year looked like! No, I don't for a second believe that we should or even could have all come out of this as glowing gods and goddesses, full of new languages, perfect diets and workout routines and killer sourdough bread baking skills. 

Buuuuut I am also not here for another year of self-pity, depression and borderline alcoholism. "Happy medium" is always my favourite phrase and finding myself a little closer to the Middle Path is the Goal. 

So in pursuit of this, my goals for the next 6-ish weeks are:

ONE: Follow the keto way. 

Because:

1. My clothes don't fit.

2. My mood is WAY more stable without the carbs

3. Energy levels are better too, once I'm long-term committed.

This will help bring many aspects of my being into balance.

Target is under 30g carbs per day. Mostly meats and vegetables. 

Week One:  /210

Week Two:  /210

Week Three:  /210

Week Four:  /210

Week Five :  /210

TWO: Increase Activity Levels

Because: 

1. I want to regain strength and flexibility.

2. I easily injure myself, and I want to be more resiliant.

3. It will also help with mood stuff. 

Honestly, I don't know if I will ever be able to kettlebell again (I effed up my left ring finger... a year and half ago? 2 years? I can't remember. I've been to physio a few times since then, which has helped some, but it still gets aggravated every time I try to pick up a kettlebell, or even dumbbell).  But there is plenty I can still do. I actually haven't tried yoga since shortly after I messed it up, and it was no beuno at that point, because I couldn't put weight on my hand, but it may have improved enough to handle that at least? But I can for sure do squats and lunges (I can even hold a weight, as long as it's goblet-style), I can ride my bike, I can do barre. 

For someone who used to work out pretty intensely on the reg, it does make me sad that I've lost that habit entirely. I just have not been able to make myself care. But it's not good, I don't like how my body feels! Not even just the weight thing, I just feel so much less capable. And it was a big part of how I identified myself, and I most definitely feel the void there. 

Now, I think this is an area where I need to really ease myself back in. I don't want to get discouraged. And January is going to be stressful AF, and I need to be mentally prepared to handle what I know is coming, and spend my energy and motivation where I need it most. But I also think it has the capacity to be a positive feedback cycle if I can get there. 

So, low bar to start, that I can crush NO MATTER WHAT. 

Week One: 25 minutes per week. That's ONE yoga or barre video. 5 minutes on the bike each workday. Two body weight workouts. I can DO that. I'll adjust this as it goes on. The only thing that doesn't count is walking. Only because that's the only thing I've actually maintained and the point is to increase.

THREE: School. Work. 

I'm in the middle of an online class (Intro to Management, whooo so interesting). And by middle, I mean final 3rd, and I'm less than half way done with the course content. 

My goal for December was to finish my first assignment and write the midterm. I DID finish the assignment, but did not write the midterm yet. I still have 2 chapters to get done before I can do that. I still have 5 full days off before I'm back to work, so I am committing to myself RIGHT NOW that I will get those chapters read in that time, and start reviewing. Technically that's Week Zero stuff. 

Week One: Write Midterm and Lesson 8 

Week Two: Lesson 9 and Lesson 10

Week Three: Assignment 2

Week Four: Lesson  11

Week Five: Lesson 12 and 13

Which leaves me with 3 weeks to complete the last two lessons and write the final exam. Since I'm working at work during week two, I'll have 5 hours of lunch breaks to work on this, hence the higher load that week. And 12 and 13th are suggested for one week in the sample schedule, so one of them is likely shorter.

Technically I can request an extension for the course, but it's $200!!!! So no, that's not happening.

So yes, between the timeline on the course, and that fact that I'll be working from work 1 /3 of the time starting in the 2nd week of January, I am expecting to have some elevated stress levels. 

But I am doing myself the incredible favour of eating right and getting some exercise to help me manage that. 

And I'm also pre-emptively forgiving myself for anything else that does not get done. If the house isn't as clean as it could be, that's okay. If I don't work on the side gig website, as absolutely does need doing, that's okay too.

Pep talk to self:

Straight up, you cannot do it all and stay sane. You've decided what matters the most, and you have to be okay with that. 

• Like 4

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

giphy.gif

I'm here for the challenge! Following! 

• Like 1

Heroine of Time

Height: 5'8  Weight: 261 lbs

Current Challenge: RhiaWolfe Returns (Zelda Memes Wanted)

Previous Challenges: 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

"Hyaaaat! Jeeyat-Hiyaaaah Hiet! Hyaaaaaaa Hiyyyyet! Hiyaaaaat Hiyaaaa!" - Link

Good Reads

7 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'll be here waiting for the continuation.

Continued!

7 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

giphy.gif

I'm here for the challenge! Following! 

Yaaaaaaas babe! I SO believe in us! And I love that we are doing this whole thang side by side!!

7 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

OMG though, I actually just sat here and giggled to myself out loud for the whole thing. Heart eyes for the Rock. 

• Like 2

Level 20

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

I'm loving the goals you have set for yourself! Something manageable and immediately helpful. 

It really sucks about your hand with the kettlebells and dumbells. I know kettlebells were your thing. I'm glad you're working through it and finding alternatives though. Increased activity of any kind will definitely help! 

Online classes can be rough. I got my MBA through online classes and it was a difficult slog. It takes a lot of self-motivation to stay on top of things, and I know 2020 has made it hard to keep self-motivation high. I'm glad I finished my degree before 2020. Barely, but I managed it. I haven't reaped the benefits of it yet though due to Covid. You have some good goals set up for your school work that seem achievable. 

I like your pep talk. It's something I feel like I need to say to myself regularly. I often get overwhelmed and then feel like a failure for not being able to get everything done. One step at a time... as long as we're doing better than we were, that's what matters. Perfection is not the goal. That is unattainable. Hard to let go of though. 

• Like 1

Heroine of Time

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

Good Reads

5 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

I'm loving the goals you have set for yourself! Something manageable and immediately helpful. 

It really sucks about your hand with the kettlebells and dumbells. I know kettlebells were your thing. I'm glad you're working through it and finding alternatives though. Increased activity of any kind will definitely help! 

Online classes can be rough. I got my MBA through online classes and it was a difficult slog. It takes a lot of self-motivation to stay on top of things, and I know 2020 has made it hard to keep self-motivation high. I'm glad I finished my degree before 2020. Barely, but I managed it. I haven't reaped the benefits of it yet though due to Covid. You have some good goals set up for your school work that seem achievable. 

I like your pep talk. It's something I feel like I need to say to myself regularly. I often get overwhelmed and then feel like a failure for not being able to get everything done. One step at a time... as long as we're doing better than we were, that's what matters. Perfection is not the goal. That is unattainable. Hard to let go of though. 

Yes, the motivation with online classes is harder than I imagined! It didn't help that we ended up moving 3 weeks after the class started, so I actually did nothing for like 6 weeks there. No more excuses though! 

(Although I'm already feeling like ughhhhh 7 more of these to go?!)

And yes, we love our imperfect selves and area going to celebrate our improvements!

• Like 1

Level 20

Good thing it's week zero! 

I'm still working on getting back on track after the indulgences of Christmas. 

Yesterday's food budget was blown out of the water, and carbs were at 60ish grams. 

BUT, there was good to come of it. 

Most of the carbs were vegetable sourced, which isn't so bad.

What wasn't was from cognac, which I did not realize had so much sugar in it! I should know better by now, but I just assumed, hard alcohol, good enough! 

And I didn't binge on totally of track stuff, so it could have been worse. 

Today will be better. 

I already made a keto Monte Cristo casserole for brunch. It was delicious and SUPER filling and that will provide breakfast for the next couple days! 

And I'm making slow cooker pork chops with mushroom sauce and cauliflower for dinner. Yum yum yum the kind of meal that doesn't make you feel like you're restricting at all.

AND I already read and made notes on the next chapter for my class! I might see if I can schedule the mid term for the weekend so I can just force myself to get it out of the way. 

• Like 1

Level 20

Definitely could have been worse. Good on you for keeping up with veggies instead of binging on sweets! 

You should definitely knock out that midterm. You will thank yourself later. 

One of the ways I try to motivate myself to get things done is I talk to myself and say "Will future Rhia thank you for getting this done now?" Usually when I am able to motivate myself to take care of something I don't want to do, later I'm glad that I did it and don't have to worry about it anymore. I used this just yesterday actually. My car had a couple of tires that were low due to the change to cold weather. It was chilly outside and I was tired and just wanted to go home. I asked myself about future Rhia, sighed, and went and aired up my tires. Man, this morning I'm glad I did! It's a LOT colder today and it's supposed to snow/ice today! I would hate to be trying to air up my tires in this weather. I'm definitely thanking Past Rhia. 

• Like 2

Heroine of Time

Good Reads

13 hours ago, Xena said:

You're gonna be in such a good place once you knock out that mid-term. Get 'er done!

4 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

Definitely could have been worse. Good on you for keeping up with veggies instead of binging on sweets! 

You should definitely knock out that midterm. You will thank yourself later. 

One of the ways I try to motivate myself to get things done is I talk to myself and say "Will future Rhia thank you for getting this done now?" Usually when I am able to motivate myself to take care of something I don't want to do, later I'm glad that I did it and don't have to worry about it anymore. I used this just yesterday actually. My car had a couple of tires that were low due to the change to cold weather. It was chilly outside and I was tired and just wanted to go home. I asked myself about future Rhia, sighed, and went and aired up my tires. Man, this morning I'm glad I did! It's a LOT colder today and it's supposed to snow/ice today! I would hate to be trying to air up my tires in this weather. I'm definitely thanking Past Rhia. 

So... My fault for not looking into it sooner... But apparently I need to give 20 days notice to book the midterm 😕

Bah! Oh well, it's done now - I booked for January 22nd, because I have that day booked off of work. 

It's fine, I'll just get working on the 2nd assignment and my other readings instead, and just do my revision closer to the date. 

I DID also book my final while I was at it, so I don't have any more mistakes like this! So that's set for Feb 27th now. 

I am ALL about that future Fonzico thinking! I need to harness it more often. 

• Like 2

Level 20

Yesterday was an improvement. Carbs were under 40g at least, and calories in a much better place. 

Also took the dogs for a super long walk - doesn't count towards my goal, but it was still very good for me! 

I've ordered pizza for tonight - there's a place with a keto crust that I've been wanting to try. I also got a chicken taco salad to go along with it. 

Hubs gets regular pizza and wings :)

Happy NYE, everyone! I hope you have a safe and pleasant ringing in of 2021!

• Like 1

Level 20

10 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

How was the keto crust? MOD pizza has one that is a mix of cauliflower and cheese, and my friend likes it ( I can't do cheese) 

It was SO good! Way better than I was expecting. This one is called "keto uncrust" and it's almond flour based and dairy free!

I have tried a LOT of homemade keto pizza crusts and so I was worried this would be dense and overly heavy like many almond flour recipes are, but it wasn't. It was very thin, slightly green (?), and the perfect pizza topping delivery device. I am wickedly impressed. 

It was still pretty filling though, I only ate 1/4 of the 10" pizza, so basically it is 4 meals worth if you have a side. 

I even had a teeeeny tiny little bite of the regular pizza, and I didn't feel like I was missing out. Not that it's remotely the same, but it was more than satisfying.

It was pretty expensive, and we're not big take-out people in general, but I would definitely get it again!

• Like 2

Level 20

We also had pizza for NYE, but we homemade it with a regular homemade base and a whole load of delicious veggie toppings! It's great to know you have a good take out option even if you don't use it very often. I didn't realise your hubby wasn't doing keto with you, did he used to? (or maybe I've just always had that confused). That must be tricky to manage! 

• Like 1

Feminist Ranger (she/her)

Based in Melbourne, Australia

Current Challenge: Emerald Eagle refills her cup (January 2021)
Instagram: @emeraldeaglenf

“I wish you would thrash him. He deserves it." She looked back at him. "I will one day, sir. I'm getting tired of falling down.” - Alanna: The First Adventure

6 hours ago, Emerald Eagle said:

We also had pizza for NYE, but we homemade it with a regular homemade base and a whole load of delicious veggie toppings! It's great to know you have a good take out option even if you don't use it very often. I didn't realise your hubby wasn't doing keto with you, did he used to? (or maybe I've just always had that confused). That must be tricky to manage! 

He was mostly doing it with me previously (although not as strictly). I think he does want to get back into it, but he's just not as motivated as I am! But he knows it'll make him feel good and lose a few unwanted pounds. 

It's not a big deal though - he'll eat what I cook, regardless, and sometimes I'll make his a carby side, like pasta or rice to go with whatever the keto main dish is. Fortunately he is not very picky!

Your homemade pizza sounds amazing! Veggie pizza is my favourite!

• Like 1

Level 20

Yesterday was a really lovely farewell to the old year. 

The house got (mostly) cleaned and is front very cosy and peaceful today. 

We had a little zoom party with some friends for about 1.5 hours and it made me very happy. 

I drank a fair amount of wine, but also made myself drink lots of water in between each glass, so I'm not feeling bad this morning! 

And then I went to bed at 10 and was out by 11! It felt amazing to go to bed and I have no regrets. Hubs woke me up, presumably around midnight, with kisses, and I promptly fell back asleep. 

Oh! And I actually did a workout yesterday! NF yoga Water A. (old school, yo!). I absolutely needed that level of beginner intro. I struggled more than I'd care to admit - my flexibility is shot and I found many of the transitions very challenging. 

And I'm feeling it in my arms and shoulders today (which is sad, because that's from like 4 down dogs...) 

But still. I did it, and I'm going to do more. And it didn't aggravate my finger! So that's an excellent sign. 

There is very little on the agenda today! The dogs need walked, and I could stand to do a little reading for my class. Definitely do not need to cook anything with all the leftovers in the house right now.

I'm thinking a day of Stardew Valley is in order :D

• Like 2

Level 20

I accomplished my goal of doing basically nothing yesterday! The dogs got walked, and that was It. 

I had a snacky day all day, but overall calories ended up okay and carbs at 35g which is getting closer to target. 

Today is going to be a wee bit more productive. Aside from the obligatory dog adventures, I need to go into town at some point and drop off a package for my parents and maybe grab a thing or two from the grocery store. I think I'm going to make roulade tonight - I've never cooked it for myself! I'm not sure why, it's absolutely keto friendly.

I am also going to do another yoga session. I'm feeling inspired to keep that rolling and actually improve. 

And I really MUST do a little text book reading. Hold me to that one. 

I'm already grieving the end of my holidays, but also trying to remind myself that returning to routine will be good, and I can tie my goals for establishing new personal routines to my work schedule. 

• Like 2

Level 20

Hey Fonz, did you do your text book reading? :P

I love that you celebrated successfully having a rest day - I'm going to try and use that mindset, rather than feeling like I just did nothing, it was important intentional nothing.

• Like 1

“I wish you would thrash him. He deserves it." She looked back at him. "I will one day, sir. I'm getting tired of falling down.” - Alanna: The First Adventure

7 hours ago, Emerald Eagle said:

Hey Fonz, did you do your text book reading? :P

I love that you celebrated successfully having a rest day - I'm going to try and use that mindset, rather than feeling like I just did nothing, it was important intentional nothing.

I did not! The worst, I know. Today for real. 

Update:

I DID do everything else I said I would - and I even found a reasonably priced keto bread on my grocery store trip! 

My mom sent me home with a puzzle that she borrowed that is too big for her table though, so all I did all evening was that! I got a little obsessed. 

I know today is technically the challenge start, but I've always been a Monday start kind of person, and I'm going to continue that. Not that I'm not already working on all of my goals anyways! 

The yoga session yesterday was good - slightly less embarrassingly difficult. My triceps are dying today though, probably just from that one controlled lower from plank. 

Carbs were around 30g yesterday which is good. Overall calories were too high though. 

The pizza is finally finished though, so back to more simple meat and veg meals for the most part. 

I have totally thrown my sleep schedule off, and I REALLY meant to get up early today to at least give myself one day of adjustment before work begins... But I totally lost track of time and stayed up until midnight working on the puzzle! I slept in until 9 this morning. 

Tomorrow is going to be rough. 

Level 20

I hope your first day of work goes well and isn't too much of an adjustment! Also, I hope you got that reading in ;) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emerald Eagle said:

I hope your first day of work goes well and isn't too much of an adjustment! Also, I hope you got that reading in ;) 

Okay this time I did it! 

Officially completed all planned zero week readings. 

• Like 1

Level 20

Well, I managed to wake up this morning, but I think I had a bit of alarm clock anxiety, because I slept terribly. Ah well, it should be easy to go to bed on time tonight at any rate! 

Yesterday was good, carbs came in around 30g. Readings got done, long pup walk in the sunshine happened. 

Rewarded myself with Stardew Valley and puzzle time. 

And had a zoom call with my parents and brother ❤️

Challenge start for real today! 

I'm going to make sure my tracking is accurate (been a fair bit of guesstimating lately) and... Honestly not going to put too much else on myself today. Just survive and keep carbs under 30g. 

• Like 1

Level 20

Stardew Valley is so much fun! All about gaming! 

Sounds like you had a good NYE! Welcome to the new year! We got this!

Good for you for finishing your readings! Woot! Let's tackle this week and make it work for us. Here's to getting back to a routine!!!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Heroine of Time

Good Reads

Yay for readings getting done! And also your walk in the sunshine sounds lovely. Despite it being summer here we've had cold over cast days all week. 

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines