What’s up nerds! It’s your friendly neighborhood ballroom boy / data and Econ nerd / calisthenics dabbler here for another challenge,

I’ll add a longer preamble (with rough goal priorities for the next year), but basically...

My goal this year is to first build the foundations I’ve perennially neglected that over time cause my best laid plans to fall apart over time, THEN build on top of them. Specifically, my usual stumbling blocks are mild sleep deprivation leading to an energy crash or injury, slow building anxiety leading to a need for a hard reset, and insufficient time allotted for rest leading to burnout (of course, they all help reinforce each other, AND they’re all sneaky problems that are hard to spot as they slowly build up).

To that end, I’ll have a few main goals this challenge;

The place where it all starts: Make a plan how I’ll spend my time each week, with a special focus on making time for sleep (7.5-8 hours a night) and rest (some breaks each work day, plus some in the evenings and on weekends). A pitfall I’ve fallen into with planning is that I typically approach it from asking, “how much time can these things take to all fit into my week?” Typically, this leads to me packing too many things into the plan then being disappointed when I don’t do everything I planned. The better question that I’ll aim to ask is: “How much time does this thing need?” This will force me to make hard calls up front and be ok with the amount planned - and hopefully short circuit some disappointment (and maybe also make some low value activities drop out of my life). This goal will be squishy and hard to concretely evaluate, and that’s ok. All I’ll hold myself to is making a plan each week and reflecting on what actually happened each week so I can keep learning how to better plan. To make this a little more exciting, I’ve bought a new planner to tryout in the new year.

Get good sleep: I want to get in a better habit of winding down every night and getting good quality and quantity of sleep - I’ll report on things I’m trying and my smart watch will keep track of my sleep quantity for me (God bless automated data collection).

Mobility daily: I ask a lot of my body as an athlete, and I owe it some daily maintenance. As a bonus, some types of mobility work make great evening wind down activities so it helps the sleep goal. 10 minutes or more of mobility a day, plus at least 5 at the start of each dance practice and at the end of each conditioning workout. Pretty straightforward, just need to keep myself from “I don’t wanna”ing out of doing it.

Mindfulness daily: This has an unbelievably good impact on my stress levels when I do it. But once it’s worked for a while it’s easy to forget why I made it a daily habit in the first place! So the goal here is not to forget, 5 minutes or more of mindfulness daily (typically in the form of praying the rosary).

That’s it, that’s the challenge! I’ll also be working on rebuilding a strength and aerobic conditioning baseline and writing about it (along with dance practices) but they won’t be goals per se.

• Like 7

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

Edited 2021/01/12: Alright, not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good here. Here's the rough plan for the year (with no actual dates, because I have no idea how long building good habits and routines will take).

First up: build good foundational habits - sleep, mental health maintenance (meditating, maybe journaling if I feel like it), mobility, making plans for my time so that it's frittered away less (and instead, I'm *planning leisure* which is a concept shift for me).

Then, lots of add-on habits (some of which are connected to a larger project, and realistically not all of these will get tackled this year):

Spoiler

For dance / athleticism / physical health:

• Solo practice time built into my week
  • Nutrition dialed in to get and maintain a lean physique as it'll be advantageous in my sport
  • Strength routine consistent, shading the focus towards building / maintaining muscle mass (while still doing fun stuff!)
  • Aerobic / anaerobic conditioning routine consistent (probably running), because my sport pushes anaerobic endurance hard (competition rounds are 5 90-second efforts separated by about 30 seconds, and you'll typically dance 4 - 6 rounds or more in a day at a bigger competition)
  • High fiber diet, consistently (I feel better when bowel movements are consistent, the sex life benefits are a plus)

General life maintenance - I envision most of these fitting into a block on Sundays:

• Regular cleaning of my apartment
  • Regular laundry
  • Regular meal prepping - and getting smart about a mix of easy and hard dishes to prep
  • Finance habits - bill paying / budgeting / net worth tracking, this is actually already all dialed in (because you can't be the spawn of two accountants and not be decent at tracking your own finances)
  • Weekly planning of non-work time to make sure time is set aside for what matters most to me

Friendships: build some sort of habit / system for keeping touch with in-town and long-distance friends and family, I have a tendency to be a little out of sight, out of mind with stuff

Career:

• Weekly work planning of what I'll work on and when (knowing it'll change, but this'll force me to make time for focused, deep work)
  • Engage in regular project planning to keep all my stakeholders aprised of timelines and changes to those
  • Build in time to prep for presentations, keep practicing the skill of getting better at spoken messaging so that I don't stagnate there (it's been highlighted as my most important development opportunity at work)
  • Carve out regular time in the week for side projects related to my career (including my data science "micro-masters" certificate I'm currently working on)

While also tackling some of these projects (will all these get done this year? probably not, and that's ok):

Spoiler

Health / Fitness / Athlete:

• Lean body - tweak nutrition habits to cut (given my past experiences, I'll aim for a "minimum effective dose" approach here to avoid some pitfalls), then tweak habits to go into maintenance mode
  • Lean body - rebuild baseline of strength and aerobic / anaerobic conditioning
  • Dance - build up foot mobility and strength, especially in ankle plantar flexion and toe dorsiflexion (my genre LOVES the aesthetic of a high demi-pointe as it shows up in a lot of our movements)
  • (Low priority) get back into practicing ballroom ballroom (I compete in latin ballroom) to stay well-rounded as a teacher; this might get punted til next year, or may never bubble up as a high priority, and that's OK - I'll learn as I go while teaching kids and college kids, probably

Music:

• Process a flash drive my partner gave me forever ago with a ton of dance music on it - spotify stopped working with my djay app, so now I need music on my phone to slow down songs for solo practice
  • Make some running playlists that can go on my watch - currently I'm running to the tunes of one playlist I made in 2015 for a road trip with a friend (haha)

Clothing:

• Repair a few clothes in need
  • Pitch some clothes beyond the point of repairs (looking at you, 6+ year old socks with holes in them!)
  • Tailor some of my t-shirts, tank tops, and / or sweaters to fit my figure better (short and trapezoidal is a hard torso shape to find good clothes for!)

Career:

• Build a better system to manage reference info, including my own code files (we write a lot of SAS code for reporting and analysis)
  • Get through remaining "micromasters" courses:
    • Machine learning - now - April
    • Big Data Analytics - April - July?
  • Research areas of economics and data science careers - where, if anywhere, do I want to slowly start to pivot my career towards?

I had some dance teaching projects in my notebook, but seeing all this written out, it's clear my plate is already beyond full. So improving as a dance teacher, you're on pause for now!

• Mike Wazowski changed the title to Mike Wazowski: Laying Foundations

Here for a good foundational challenge.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I LOVE DAILY PLANNING except when there is too much to do or I can't prioritize quickly and I do none of it and feel shitty instead

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Raptron, alot assassin

666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

3 hours ago, raptron said:

I LOVE DAILY PLANNING except when there is too much to do or I can't prioritize quickly and I do none of it and feel shitty instead

Same. Also, i think I'm in a rut.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

6 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Whyyyy are there only 24 hours in a day??? 

Seriously, if I could pick a super power it would be to freeze time so I could get some sleep in then. 

the dream

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Yes! You must sandwich your glorious victory goals with the rest days and reflection that will hold them up like the legs of a silt strider over the silt. Also, praying with rosaries sounds like a nice, contemplative practice. It makes sense to have something repetitive that engages the hands so that the mind can have some space.

• Thanks 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

15 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

A pitfall I’ve fallen into with planning is that I typically approach it from asking, “how much time can these things take to all fit into my week?” Typically, this leads to me packing too many things into the plan then being disappointed when I don’t do everything I planned. The better question that I’ll aim to ask is: “How much time does this thing need?” This will force me to make hard calls up front and be ok with the amount planned - and hopefully short circuit some disappointment (and maybe also make some low value activities drop out of my life). This goal will be squishy and hard to concretely evaluate, and that’s ok. All I’ll hold myself to is making a plan each week and reflecting on what actually happened each week so I can keep learning how to better plan. To make this a little more exciting, I’ve bought a new planner to tryout in the new year.

This. So common. "Ooooh, there is one unplanned hour that day, what can I squeeze in there"... Plus not thinking that thinks like "cooking", "eating", "cleaning up the kitchen"... might take some time as well. xD 

Love your challenge, here to cheer on you while you do your mobility stuff. :D

• Like 1

Previous challenges: 1,2,3,4,5,6

I love the idea of this challenge. I like that you are looking for the pitfalls with planning, allow me to add one more, that I'm sure you already know but is worth a reminder: humans suck at time estimation. But I love that you are adding in reflection and assessment, that should really help. 

Excited to see how it goes and to see if I can pick up any good tips from your journey.

• Like 1

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

14 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm shocked at how sensible in scope this challenge is. :D When I read the title I expected about 25 little "foundational" goals.

Mike seems to have made up for it by setting out to write a new set of 25 little goals every day. :D

Here for it!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

On 12/29/2020 at 9:49 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

Mindfulness daily: This has an unbelievably good impact on my stress levels when I do it. But once it’s worked for a while it’s easy to forget why I made it a daily habit in the first place!

Can you reframe it as "daily maintenance of my sanity" or something similar that makes it really obvious why it's a good idea to continue with the mindfulness after it's started to do its job...?

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

I like to start with a joke about a basement, because they're foundational.

JK.  I don't tell basement jokes, they're beneath me.

Happy Challenge!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

Eep! I really haven't replied since last year on this, whoops!! I didn't quote reply everyone because this post is already stupid long.

On 1/3/2021 at 10:16 AM, Cheetah said:

I like to start with a joke about a basement, because they're foundational.

JK.  I don't tell basement jokes, they're beneath me.

Bahahaha - the easy puns really get me.

On 1/1/2021 at 2:34 AM, juliebarkley said:

Plan. Sleep. Move. Destress. My god, how sensible. I love it.

❤️ - just wait for me to throw in some curveball f*ckery in a few weeks, as I'm wont to do. :D

On 12/31/2020 at 2:47 PM, Scaly Freak said:

Can you reframe it as "daily maintenance of my sanity" or something similar that makes it really obvious why it's a good idea to continue with the mindfulness after it's started to do its job...?

What I'm currently trying for is to not shoehorn it into a timeslot when I'm not going to approach it with the right mindset (e.g. if I wake up really excited to work out, I'll go do that work out rather than meditating right then, because I'll not actually be focused on anything but the workout while meditating). Basically, I think my past pitfall was something like slowly allowing the practice to become perfunctory, then allowing it to slip all together.

On 12/30/2020 at 4:43 AM, Mad Hatter said:

I'm shocked at how sensible in scope this challenge is. :D When I read the title I expected about 25 little "foundational" goals.

On 12/30/2020 at 6:58 PM, PaulG said:

Mike seems to have made up for it by setting out to write a new set of 25 little goals every day. :D

On 12/31/2020 at 1:40 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Ahh of course, and then he'll call it "planning". :D 

F*ck, they're on to me! :P

On 12/30/2020 at 10:42 AM, GoodDoug said:

I love the idea of this challenge. I like that you are looking for the pitfalls with planning, allow me to add one more, that I'm sure you already know but is worth a reminder: humans suck at time estimation. But I love that you are adding in reflection and assessment, that should really help. 

Oh yes, well aware of the planning fallacy (and I'm hoping to collect data in my work and personal lives that'll slowly let me counter it). I think I've been the victim of one too many work projects that start with the deadline and then make a "plan" that conveniently exactly meets the deadline with no acknowledgement of whether or not that amount of time is realistic, so I've internalized that as a *totally ok* way to plan my life. It has not worked well.

On 12/30/2020 at 3:50 AM, Epsilonte said:

This. So common. "Ooooh, there is one unplanned hour that day, what can I squeeze in there"... Plus not thinking that thinks like "cooking", "eating", "cleaning up the kitchen"... might take some time as well. xD 

Yep, that pesky "maintain functioning adult human status" stuff that our parents took care of when we were kids is a real time suck!

On 12/30/2020 at 1:49 AM, Harriet said:

praying with rosaries sounds like a nice, contemplative practice. It makes sense to have something repetitive that engages the hands so that the mind can have some space.

It is really, really nice for me. Something tactile so that I don't have to track my place in the prayer, and it's repetitive so my mind often wanders in good ways (often reframing interactions / experiences from the past day that annoyed or agitated me into something with a much mellower emotional response that's more proportionate to the facts of the situation).

On 12/29/2020 at 1:43 PM, raptron said:

gurl, same

• Like 4

Alright, so looking at the past Zero Week plus day 1 of this challenge, where do things stand?

Planning: I've got a snazzy new planner to help with things here, at least during the work day. I'm finding that my out of work time doesn't lend itself super nicely to a down-to-the-minute plan, but I'll want to figure out some sort of guide for that still (TBD exactly what route I go). I still want to flesh out what a "typical week" will look like for me in the short to medium term, in part to see how I can fit in things that are most important to me (time with friends / the BF, dance training, doing well at work, maintaining my overall health) and have conviction if / when I step back from some other time-intensive commitments (specifically, I'm thinking I'll need / want to scale back my dance teaching as things start to open up again). The new planner has a quite nice setup, and its prompt to specifically chart out the week ahead has already helped me set expectations 

Mobility: Been really good on this front, and my lower back and shoulders are thanking me for it. By no means is everything perfect (especially in my shoulders / upper back, still lots of opportunities there and possibly some tweaks needed to my day-to-day ergonomics), but so far I'm doing loads better than my baseline - I'm more or less establishing a habit of doing some mobility every evening, after every conditioning workout, and before every dance practice. 

Meditation: I've done this most, if not all days since getting back home - I'm loving the sunny corner of my bedroom where I have a bright yellow armchair nestled between some plants, and I'm finding that leaving myself a physical cue (specifically, draping a rosary over the arm of the chair) is a sufficient reminder to myself that I still need to pray that day (this is, in a way, similar to how my mom had me track my daily asthma medicine as a kid - she'd stand the inhaler up on the breakfast table, and I'd get to knock it down after I'd take it - sometimes more aggressively when I was particularly annoyed at being sick). I'll also be tracking this daily in my planner as one of my key metrics.

Sleep: I've been averaging pretty decent sleep - ~7:20 average time asleep according to my watch's tracker, which is on par with the best I've ever seen for myself from a wearable tracker. A couple opportunities are presenting themselves:

1. I'm falling into the trap of couch sleeping during a netflix marathon - I can feel myself getting too sleepy to keep watching, but rather than making the responsible choice to cut it off and head to bed, I'm sticking around for one more hit. Will need to think through a good permanent solve for this, I'll start by reinstating my "bedtime" setting that cuts my smart TV off from the WiFi after a certain time of night.
  2. I'm not falling asleep until after midnight most nights - I have been asleep just before 23:30 the past two nights, although that was the first couch stint before proper bed later - ideally, I'd be falling asleep somewhere between 22:00 and 22:30 on nights when I don't have something in the evening (social plans or dance practice / teaching the college kids) as I'm generally a morning person and 

My rough plan of attack here will be trying to honor the TV "bedtime" I've set, rather than overriding it, and also putting down all of my devices with screens around that same time so I can do some mobility (probably while listening to a podcast), read for a bit, brush my teeth etc, journal and get ready for bed.

Also, some miscellaneous Zero Week Highlights:

• Boyfriend and I had a super chill date night for new years, because what else are you gonna do - he barely stayed up til midnight, I was still wide awake and zoom chatted with some friends after walking him home; we separately had a great Sunday morning jaunt to his favorite coffee shop in town (it was really top notch, my first time trying it) and a NY style bagel shop that I hadn't tried yet - both were real good and the trip we took to a sunny park to eat them was a great way to spend the morning
  • I've restarted some solo dance practices (partner and I restart this Friday) and it's a mix of encouraging and reality check-ing. On the encouraging front, my posture and leg/feet mechanic topics from late last year feel like they're starting to sort themselves in (especially in my cha cha and paso doble) but my actual mental / physical endurance for dance are quite poor - I've only lasted a full hour 1 out of 3 practices so far. Oh well, I guess I should expect a slow build after basically taking off since 12/12 (restarting on 01/02 puts me at...exactly 3 weeks off and not wearing cuban heels at all in that time, so my feet are having a hell of an adjustment)
  • Similarly, I'm starting a "respawn" of sorts with running and strength training for outside of dance conditioning. I thought I'd be able to breeze through the early weeks of my noob running program, but it turns out, I was mistaken and the DOMS / exhaustion are very real. Again, somewhat unsurprising, if a painful reality check
  • On the somewhat more frustrating front, my dance coach reached out to ask my partner and I if we'll be returning to teach our youth classes in person this semester on Sunday, and it led to a slightly tense exchange of texts when I said, in essence "no, not yet - the public health situation is not yet at the point where I feel comfortable teaching or taking a group dance class." 

I still need to eventually put the yearly plan of attack onto digital paper, but at a high level it's build some foundational habits -> build upon those with some additional good habits / routines -> tackle some bigger projects I want to tackle with the good life management taken care of. The process will not actually be linear (life's not that simple) but it was useful to frame things up, especially identifying the things (my goals in this challenge) that have the biggest detrimental effects when neglected. Alrighty, that's all for now, peace out, nerds.

• Like 6

Since I've ghosted you've gotten a boyfriend! Exciting! Date night/morning sounded great. 

I agree about not wanting to participate in group classes at this time. IMO too people who are going to these classes are likely people also doing other high risk activities like going out to eat and it just doesn't seem worth the risk to me personally.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

My rough plan of attack here will be trying to honor the TV "bedtime" I've set, rather than overriding it, and also putting down all of my devices with screens around that same time so I can do some mobility (probably while listening to a podcast), read for a bit, brush my teeth etc, journal and get ready for bed.

Sounds like a solid plan! :) What podcasts are you listening to right now? (I'm always searching for new ones)

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I thought I'd be able to breeze through the early weeks of my noob running program, but it turns out, I was mistaken and the DOMS / exhaustion are very real. Again, somewhat unsurprising, if a painful reality check

I know that feeling. :D Though it does get better rather quickly, so enjoy it while it lasts. :P 

• Like 1

Previous challenges: 1,2,3,4,5,6

2 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I'm loving the sunny corner of my bedroom where I have a bright yellow armchair nestled between some plants, and I'm finding that leaving myself a physical cue (specifically, draping a rosary over the arm of the chair) is a sufficient reminder to myself that I still need to pray that day

This sounds like a super lovely meditation spot!

3 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Since I've ghosted you've gotten a boyfriend! Exciting!

Yep!! He and I started dating around mid-August, but things weren't official until end of October. It's been an exciting thing so far (and low-key my longest relationship since...my ex fiancée called things off in June 2013 - for anyone curious, yes, the gender is right on fiancée, and no, me being gay wasn't the reason for the breakup, it was the far more garden variety "fight about money and our approaches to managing our future shared finances" reason).

I agree about not wanting to participate in group classes at this time. IMO too people who are going to these classes are likely people also doing other high risk activities like going out to eat and it just doesn't seem worth the risk to me personally.

Yep, basically my concern - at least one family that I know of eats out at restaurants fairly regularly, and some of my co-teachers would be folks who also aren't taking the same level of precautions I am (also, it's ~30 people in a room, sometimes more - even if most of them are children, that's still more than my comfort level). Some other parents are super cautious and group dance is the one riskier thing their child is involved in, but still doesn't feel like the right time to go back when my county and its neighbors are setting records for new cases and/or total hospitalizations regularly.

2 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Sounds like a solid plan! :) What podcasts are you listening to right now? (I'm always searching for new ones)

Current mainstays:

• Planet Money - economics podcast from NPR
  • The Indicator - daily offshoot of Planet Money, does it show that I'm an econ nerd?
  • Up First - news roundup from NPR, the US's rough equivalent of the radio arm of DW or the BBC
  • The FiveThirtyEight politics podcast - US based political analysis, with a heavy application of data and statistical modeling - also enjoyable because it features multiple gay men as regulars
  • Keep It!  - really just listen to it to hear three entertaining queer people banter about pop culture, it's how I can pretend to know more than I do on those topics
  • Some political podcasts that are more biased than I'd recommend to anyone (I listen to them for cathartic humor, with a going-in knowledge that I'm listening to biased content)

I've also recently started listening to some Throughline - it's also from NPR and it looks at historical trends and how they connect to modern topics of interest (for example, they did a great one about the increase in the power of the US Supreme Court over the years).

2 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

I know that feeling. :D Though it does get better rather quickly, so enjoy it while it lasts. :P 

Haha I would enjoy it - if it didn't interfere a bit with dance! I'm happy to be rid of it quickly given the impacts on my main training.

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

The relaxed new year with the boyfriend sounds lovely.

Date night/morning sounded great. 

It really was!! Especially the morning one - it felt peaceful and almost normal for a couple hours (and then I put my mask on to walk into the apartment building, haha).

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Is your planner paper or an app? I like the idea of neat shiny new paper book planners.

1 hour ago, sylph said:

Oooh... new planners are always fun. What kind did you get?

I got a paper one - "The Time-Block Planner." It's published by Cal Newport (author of some of my favorite professional self-help / productivity books, specifically "Deep Work" and "So Good They Can't Ignore You"). It's a pretty decent planner for what it aims to have you do - plan out your week in advance with whatever system you need to use that week, block your time by day and revise those time blocks as things change, track key metrics that you identify every day. One of the things I'm appreciating, so far, is that it offers a bit more flexibility than other planners I've tried out, and it specifically doesn't try to take the place of a task management system (I'm playing with Trello for that) or a calendar app (my work outlook does well enough for that, and I use a personal google calendar in the rare instances when I'm planning far enough ahead to need that). It's not for everyone (IMO) but it works really well for me - no idea if I'll use it forever, but it's good for now.

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

This sounds like a super lovely meditation spot!

It truly is!

• Like 1