Terra - The strong little powerhouse battles back!

The strong little powerhouse rises again! 

My body has been ravaged by injury (hip), illness (covid) and peri-menopause.  It is time to take back my body and my life.  

The first steps are to find peace, strength and vitality.  

• Peace in my heart, mind and soul.
  • Strength in my body (that I have lost over time)
  • Vitality in all that I do, health and  a love for life are key here. 

I'll be filling in the blanks and build towards something amazing.

jack black mind blown GIF 

• Like 6

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: Embrace the Neurotic

Here to help you in your fight.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Good to see you @Terra. I am here to offer my support, as well. Let me know if I can help in any way. 

• Like 1

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals More

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle Earth

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

I have changed my profile picture to a real picture of me for the first time ever on the NF boards.  Over the last month I had lots of time to think about things. I have done superhero challenges, viking challenges and all sorts of other gimmicks to try to motivate myself.  I even  debated creating myself a unique RPG type character but at the end of the day I really only want to build a better version of me.  I am who I want to be and I love myself.  However, that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement... 

wink GIF by VH1

There is a challenge in those last two sentences!  How do I move forward making improvements to myself if I love myself just the way I am???  Interesting headspace.  At the end of the day it is because I love myself that allows me to care for me.  That means I need to continue taking care of my healthy, which has become trickier with age. I also don't want to become complacent.  Life isn't vibrant if it is stationary.  And I can't grow if I don't challenge myself.  How to do this and make it stick???

First where am I?  I am physically in a pretty sad state. I am recovering from covid and it has left me with some breathing issues.  My hip has been bothering me for months and pain flares when I am able to move more,  BJJ classes are a special kind of torture on my hip.  The ravages of perimenopause wreak havoc on my mental and physical wellbeing.  {Sorry if that bothers you but this is my life and perimenopause sucks big harry balls!  It is messy and frustrating but it is part of who I am right now.  So it must be acknowledged, accepted and addressed.}  Mentally I am challenged by own insecurities, worries and that damm mean voice inside of my head, in addition to being a wife, mother to teenage daughters and a female engineer (learning a new and very challenging job) in a male dominated work environment.  

frustrated fuck me GIF

• Like 6

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

That us a lot of uuuggghh to deal with. 

• That's Metal 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Continuing where I left off...

Where do I want to be?  I want to be comfortable in my own skin.  I want to be vibrant and happy.  I want to be successful in my work.  And at the end of the day I want to show my daughters how to fight and overcome the crap that life can throw out you.  Wahoo!

Happy X Factor GIF by X Factor Global

NOW - how do I get there?  For this challenge, I think I need baby steps.  A few small wins will do wonders for me right now!

Health first!  So lets start here:

1. Breathing care - I'm on asthma meds for the foreseeable future due to long term covid complications.  I am optimistic that with time and care of my body I can get off of them and back to normal.  Otherwise I will work with my doctor to learn how to care for this new development in the long term. I see her on Jan 12th. Asthma care is vital!
  2. Get back to eating the best I can for me.  This means more paleo-ish eating with limited dairy.  It also means watching portion sizes.  
  3. Reduced drinking.  I haven't been able to drink much for a while because of medications to get over the bulk of covid. And perimenopause is also causing some issues with alcohol consumption. The one glass of organic wine I had yesterday for my anniversary made me feel yucky.   Bottom line is that I need to be VERY careful about any drinking right now, and it might be for the best to just quit for a while.  
    • Side quest - I will be giving away the wine that I have collected over the years.  Non-organic wine (both grape growth and the wine making process) has started to cause weird problems in my body and most of the wine I have isn't organic.  So I will be giving it away to my friends who love wine and can tolerate the chemicals that I can not.  
  4. Exercise is a must.  I will be rebuilding my fitness levels back up from rock bottom.  I got on the stationary bike today for the first time in over a month and it wasn't pretty.  Just 7 minutes was exhausting and I had to slow down.  I'm starting at level 1.  
    • Ride the bike - I will start with 5-10 minutes at a time and work back up to my 30 minutes a day.
    • Stretching - I will do stretches for my hip or some easy yoga program to build up flexibility every day.
    • Classes - I miss the in person classes but I will do them at home my my hubby as much as I can
  5. Hip - I see a new hip orthopedic doctor mid January. 
  6. Menopause education and care - I am reading Menopalypse by Amanda Thebe.  I've followed her for a while on FB and her blog.  She went through hell and pulls no punches. I will take what I learn from this book and work with my doctor...  informed and proactive care for the win!  

For right now these are enough.  I will be working on peace in my heart and vitality as my side quests.  And of course I'll keep you in the loop on that!  

Excited Kung Fu GIF by DreamWorks Animation

• Like 3

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

So I saw "bike" and "BJJ" and I immediately thought of Kron Gracie. The dude's a machine on the bike, and I don't know if this means coming back to the mats anytime soon, but that's the connection I made and it's my strange way of welcoming you to this strange corner of the Rebellion. :D

I too must eat paleoish for reasons, so I will be rooting you on for that too.

• Like 1
On 12/29/2020 at 10:36 PM, Kishi said:

So I saw "bike" and "BJJ" and I immediately thought of Kron Gracie. The dude's a machine on the bike, and I don't know if this means coming back to the mats anytime soon, but that's the connection I made and it's my strange way of welcoming you to this strange corner of the Rebellion. :D

I too must eat paleoish for reasons, so I will be rooting you on for that too.

Kishi - Thank you for rooting me on!  I need more people in my corner.  I don't follow the BJ crowd like my hubby does but I'll have to look up Kron Gracie for some inspiration!   

On 1/2/2021 at 12:43 AM, Morag said:

Hey Terra, I finally found my way around the forums, looking up people's threads, loitering for a bit, but I decided Enough Of This Go Say Hi.

So here I am saying hi. Let's get back on our feet. You got this!

I'm so glad you are loitering!  🥰

On 1/3/2021 at 6:08 PM, Xena said:

Here to support you in all of this Terra. I hope you get some helpful news from the orthopedist.

I am hopeful for something more helpful from this doctor.  Thank you for your support!  

On 1/10/2021 at 9:25 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Hey Terra, how are things?

Hi -I got lost for a bit...  Last week was my first full week back to work, although it was work from home and it was exhausting.  I'm still here and I'll be more active over the next four weeks!  

True Crime Laughing GIF by Hop To It Productions

Not dead here, I promise.  Just tired and overwhelmed trying to get back into normal life. 

I did have some successes last week.  The bike is the main one.  I rode 5 days for as long as I could.  Sometimes I ran out of energy but towards the end of the week I ran out of time before energy.   I don't care how fast I go or how far right now.  I just want to ride the bike.  This morning I rode for 20 minutes and then I ran out of time. I'm going to slowly adjust my morning alarms so I can get up early enough to ride more.  My sleep got all messed up with my illness, so I have to work back towards my schedule that worked.    I tried to do some BJJ on saturday with my hubby.  It was hard and I later took a 3 hour nap.  So I have a ways to go, but I was able to do a bit and I'll take it! 

Food is always a struggle.  We signed up for two food delivery services  to see if they work for our family and if so, which one we like best.  Its been an interesting experiment.  Youngest spawn of mine likes to cook but we have to stay out of "her kitchen" while she is cooking.  🙄.  I think it helps but only if we get the right meals.  I control one and my hubsand controls the other.  This is part of my strugle...  He orders meals with rice and other non paleo ingredients.  I understand that he eats and wants this type of food but I can't eat that way.  It is hard to order food that we all like.  So we are still assessing.  They are helpful with portion size.    Otherwise I just need to eat real food in a manner that is healthy for me!!!  

I'm still reading Menopalypse and it's been a good read.  A few "ah, ha!" moments and lots of good information.  I'm going to share it with my doctor because it isn't gimicky and I think she would appreciate that.  I see her tomorrow afternoon.  I want to talk about breathing and what all I can do to get better.  She saw me on Saturday (did I mention she started doing BJJ with us!) so she has seen my struggle.   

I gave a growler of super yummy hard cider to my neighbor.  It was that alcohol that I was most likely to drink but everytime I tried to drink anything other than coffee, tea or water I suffer.  I will give more wine away soon... 

I feel better now that I have posted.  I needed to document the little wins!  

• Like 3

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

Did I get this right? you had Covid????? Hell noooooooooooooo! 

am glad about your last update and can feel you as I am too approaching everything to do with movement from rock bottom. Well get out of this shit! I had a hysterectomy which was just awesome be cause I never again had any menopause drama since then. wishing you the best healthwise and am proud of you for getting fit in this nightmarish times! ❤️ 

• Like 1

be fearlessly yourself! :onthego:

7 minutes ago, fearless 2.0 said:

Did I get this right? you had Covid????? Hell noooooooooooooo! 

Yeah that is right.  My hubby caught it first and we really don't know where he got it from.  Our best guess is from an eye doctor appointment.  He got better and is feeling fine now.  December was a total loss for me.   I see the doctor in two hours to discuss my longer term treatment.  But since I am no longer contagious and feeling mostly better, I'm back to most of my normal scheduled life.   

Today I see the doctor to discuss longer term stuff.  I'm looking forward to the conversation.

I rode the bike for over 30 minutes today.  My speed was slow, in the 7-8 mph range.  With the doctors advice from later today I hope to increase that speed to what it was before 10-12 mph.  Food has been good today and with our dinner plans it should continue.  My evening goals include a round of stretching for my hip, which hasn't been done since mid. November.  

I got my annual performance review today - it was good.  I have two places where I need to make improvements so it has given me something to think about and work towards.  

grace helbig eww GIF by This Might Get

Have a wonderful rest of your day my friends!  

• Like 3

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

Based on when you posted you should be in with the doctor about now. I hope everything goes well and you get good news.

• Thanks 1

The doctor is trying a lot of different things.  I have lots of new meds but I can already feel some improvement this afternoon.  I will get a echo catrograham next week to check my heart, because sometimes covid can leave some heart damage and that can in turn cause some breathing problems.  Just trying to cover all the bases.  

I didn't sleep well last night so I didn't get up in time to ride the bike.  Tonight I really need to stretch!!!  

Food has been OK, but I just realized that I forgot lunch.  I wondered why my stomach was growling.  No drinking.  Still reading.  Hip doctor is next week.  

One more thing I need to do is find some resources on being more confident.  Linkedin classes are available to me for free.  And I'm always up for a good book resource.  

• Like 1

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I should not have googled "covid heart damage" 

harry potter animation GIF

The meds I got this week are making a difference.  My throat is less clogged, coughing is reduced and I am far more comfortable.  But I am still struggling when I try to move more or faster.  And I got a bloody nose last night.  I expected to get them at some point, but not day two of the medicine.  😢

I attended core class  via zoom on wednesday night.  It was so hard!  I had to take a few breaks to just catch my breath.  No bike or anything really since then.  I'm trying to be kind to myself and just let it go but I'm getting frustrated and the worry that it could be something worse is depressing.  

Animated GIF

I'm off to find my big girl panties and get some stuff done today.  Hopefully I find a way to take a nap and take care of me.  

panties GIF

• Like 3

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

Glad you are feeling a bit better.Hope that the healing speeds up now, and you can soon resume and enjoy all the things you love

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Quick update.  I had the echo on Monday, no data yet (my doctor's office uploaded a blank report).  I am trying to move more even though sometimes it is hard to breathe.  Food is OK.  I see the new orthopedic dr tomorrow.  Reading of non-fiction had been slow, but I will read more this week.  

joanne the scammer running GIF by Super Deluxe

And I'm off running as usual!  

• Like 2

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

Echo showed no damage to my heart.  My breathing has slowly improved this week.  Food has been more paleo and I am focusing on portion sizes.  I have ridden the bike twice this week. I have done my hip stretching twice this week and today I did over an hour of BJJ.  So many good thing happened this week!!!

Oh Yeah Yes GIF by Noah Cyrus

The new orthopedic was awesome.  They took new x-rays because my old ones were almost a year old.  The new images showed a possible bone chip.  I have the MRI that shows the labrum tear.  So I am going to take the time between now and March 4th to get moving again (post-covid) and see what the movement feels like in my hip.  It hasn't hurt much because I haven't been able to do much for the past 6 weeks.  It will also give my body time to heal my lungs.  Hip impingement, now I have a proper name for my hip pain.  

I am sore from all that BJJ, so  I am reading  and relaxing while watching the UFC fights tonight.  Tomorrow I will do more self care and try to prepare for long week of work.  

• Like 3

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I so tried to convince my oldest child that taking an online independent study physics class was a bad idea.  I spend most of Sunday trying to help her, while at the same time trying to get my husband to not nag her about it.  She got so anxious about it she is now physically sick.  She has one last assignment and the final to finish by Thursday.  I am so tired of helping her with physics and trying to figure out her anxiety.  

No exercise happened yesterday.  Food choices, other than a few chips, were all very good.  Today I am making good choices, rode the bike for 33 minutes this morning and am planning on BJJ class and maybe core/conditioning class tonight.  I need the exercise to combat my mental exhaustion right now.

I want to do this tonight...

exhausted GIF  

Happy Monday my friends! 

• Like 3

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

BJJ class was fairly easy so I stayed for the core/conditioning class.  I did more of the class than I did a week ago.  I did have to back off and walk away to catch my breath but I was able to return after a bit of breathing exercises.  I am seeing improvement.  

Today I had a goose egg for breakfast!  They are huge!!!  My youngest wanted to try them because she is having issues when eating chicken eggs.  She tried one and only ate a couple of bites.  The rest of the half dozen are mine, for which I am both happy (for me) and sad (for my girl) She has allergy testing next week.  

I rode the bike this morning and I should do some stretching tonight.  Otherwise i'll make good food choices for me and read a bit tonight.  No alcohol has been drank lately.  Ever since i got my blood work and the lack of an adult beverage showed up in hugely improved liver function, it's been hard to justify a beverage.  

Todays mood is mostly happy!  

Happy Cat GIF by memecandy

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Ranger-Monk Hybrid