Adventurers of the Lucky Vale XVI

I’m the married parent of 3 and soon-to-be 4 kids. I’m an adventurer at heart. I love hiking, exploring, traveling, and other fun things with the family.  Since shortly before joining Nerdfitness, my physical training is typically built around injury rehabilitation (which happens a bit more often due to autoimmune arthritis) and training to be able to travel, explore, and play with my family. I have a pretty effective Disney World training system, and try to ensure that at any point I’m strong enough to carry my whole family somewhere. That has become more difficult as the years go on but I can still do it for the most part.  I am also an enthusiastic suburban homesteader bent on establishing an orchard and vegetable garden, so things can get pretty out-doorsy depending on my goals. 

I survived the last challenge. Holidays can be rough, but they were good in and of themselves. It was hard to get in the spirit this year, but we finally did it. I also had a birthday and got to post a meme/quote Monty Python in a way I’ve waited for most of my life to do. 

I also broke my big toe, and have baby #4 coming in weeks or perhaps days. 

So in a way this is a throwback to an earlier challenge series of mine, Prepping for Adventure Prep, which I utilized when we were expecting Bo Peep.  This is a support challenge for nesting, the coming of the baby, and for helping Jessie recover post-birth as well as taking care of my other young adventurers: Woody, Rex, and Bo Peep.  They’re all off of school for break right now but we’re basically quarantining with the baby coming and I have to ensure they’re taken care of, too. Woody in particular is a people person amongst introverts and has been missing the ability to hug everyone he sees, and he’s been eating his feelings during the pandemic in a concerning way.

Once the baby comes, I’m very lucky that my company gives me 4 months of parental leave. That will make schooling the kids and taking care of the baby a lot easier. Thank goodness. I got it with Bo Peep and we bonded so very fast; it took longer and was harder with Woody and Rex because I had a few days off after the hospital with Woody and literally only the 2 hospital days with Rex since Jessie was in the hospital for related issues that year. 

Goals: 

1. Sleep. As best as possible. I’m a nonfunctional mess without sleep and can sacrifice it for a few days ok but then I have to make it a super high priority to regain it. With a baby coming it just has to be the highest health priority. 

2. My basic calisthenics routine with Woody and Rex and Bo Peep. As well as spending some individual time with each kid exploring the neighborhood area. (We’re also technically within walking distance of some nice parks too). All while trying to not break the darned toe again. 

3. Take one concrete step forward per day. This had a great effect on my mental health last challenge and also helped me to do at least one tangible, visible thing to make life better. This ranged from things as small as “dig out the replacement toaster” to as big as “reorganize the playroom.” I don’t have to complete the bigger ones as long as I make progress. 

That’s it for now. A lot of what I need to do involves pulling baby equipment and clothes out of storage, prepping an updated hospital bag, slapping electrical plug covers in outlets all over, and prepping a place for the new baby in our new house. 

• Like 12

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

1 hour ago, sylph said:

Sleep seems a VERY sensible goal with a baby imminent :)

Yesh. Though it’s actually easier once the baby comes as I don’t have to work for a while! I wake easily and fall asleep easily so I’m the night parent and tend to rest well as long as I prioritize it. 

1 hour ago, sylph said:

I like your goal #3. Do you have a threshold for what 'counts'? Do you have a list somewhere or do you just wing it?

Not really. But it has to be something visible and non-renewing that makes life better. 

Organizing a closet counts, fixing a fence or repairing an appliance counts, decorating counts, cleaning a massive mess  and reclaiming a room counts.

But jobs like laundry and dishes, which are neverending, do not. I have to do those anyway (or, rather, ensure that the kids do their chores) but I can exhaust myself doing laundry, dishes, and other types of maintenance and stuff feel like I didn’t do anything. 

In any case, welcome aboard!

My coworker, for whom I cover at work, called me a bit ago. His dad had a sudden and unexpected stroke and is nonresponsive in the hospital so I’m taking care of his stuff for the next 3-8 business days (unless the baby comes before he’s back). My heart goes out to them. 

• Like 2

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

@Teros Hey dude I promised you this a year or two ago, and hadn’t updated it since 2018. It is now current. 

My IRL character sheet is built off of the D20 system. The rule is I have to build as I achieve and/or learn things as much as possible. As helpful as it might be to have fewer classes or a different skill mix, they line up with what I did every year. I have another tab that converts my annual advancement into the skills as best as possible from 1999-present. It’s not 100% accurate, I had to take a few liberties to stay in the system, and by nature since I’m going up a level a year the skills exist in a substantially larger range than usually seen in the game. I also added a disadvantages tab to reflect things a little more accurately. 

Also, annoyingly, this spreadsheet doesn’t accommodate more than 6 classes. But I do think it is a fairly accurate representation of my education and career so far so I like it quite a bit. It both makes me feel like I’ve learned and done a lot and has been a decent tool of reflection. In realizing I haven’t updated it in almost two years it also makes me realize how many of my normal enjoyable activities I haven’t really kept up with during the last couple of years of heavy depressive episodes. 

1A13A424-BD15-4F08-A149-959566E601E2.jpeg

• Like 6

Spoiler

Hey @Macheteand @spezzy, with the update can someone point me in the direction of the body weight AMRAP boards?

Spoiler

And I’ma just leave this here. 

514FF3D7-632A-4B6F-ABCE-52224C6A43C4.jpeg

• Like 5

Spoiler

Well, it finally happened. Bo Peep found a bottle of Febreeze and just well and truly bricked Woody’s laptop. It is not only the sole home of his personal Minecraft Java worlds, it is the only computer we had with a VGA output that works with our old, used VGA projector we use for movies. A whole heck of a lot of drama later, I found a refurbished replacement for his computer that’s reasonably priced. I mean, he had 2 needs: 8 GB RAM to run Minecraft, preferably on the faster side, and a VGA port. And we still got some bills we gotta pay before we make more big purchases so at the very least I ordered a HDMI-VGA  converter whilst we get everything else in order. 

But, in any case, it’s been drying on the dehumidifier for the last hour and there’s no trace of moisture left.  I’m pretty sure that 

3C01CEE2-3685-4098-8144-BE146CD76914.jpeg

• Sad 7

Spoiler

Look at me learning to use memes and pictures here. 

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

Spoiler

Goal update:

1.  Sleep was low quality last night. It was freezing cold then the heat kicked on and torched us. It also got super dry. Weather changes can be bratty. But still, it could have been a lot worse. 

2.  Today was leg day. I have basically no butt and chicken legs unless I really focus. I made myself some seriously powerful legs in my early 20s and lifted some big numbers but my injuries to my calves, Achilles’ tendons, and related areas back in... 2013? Plus the freight train of psoriatic arthritis put me way behind.  So I’m working my way back up and in particular I’m working on strengthening my super week glutes and hip flexors. Without focused work I let my quads do all the work and it isn’t good.

So:

3x10 Bulgarian split squats

25/15/15/15 Supermans

25/15/15/15 
25/15/15/15 negative calf raises 

all with blood flow restriction (BFR). 

I’m relatively taking it easy on account of the stupid broken toe. BFR is helpful for the other issues I have with the Achilles that the negative calf raises (in the form of a modified Alfredson Protocol) help as well as for the plantar fasciitis I recently developed.

3.   This morning I reclaimed my normal workout area downstairs, which had exploded with empty storage containers in which Christmas and winter decorations usually go. It wasn’t strictly planned but Mama dog got a couple of shrimp tails that triggered vomiting and diarrhea all over from about 4-7 am today.  She’s ok, thank goodness, but that was the area so I reorganized it as well as cleaning the carpet and linoleum. It’s right by our basement door and she always TRIES to get outside but poor thing was just super sick.  Worse, it was probably a present from the 3-year-old during or after dinner that did it, meaning it was probably my fault. 

All in all, though, a good day.  Jessie had an ultrasound appointment today. Woody went and we finally got a shot of the baby’s face! I think that makes the whole thing into a win. 

• Like 5

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Sciread77 said:

But, in any case, it’s been drying on the dehumidifier for the last hour and there’s no trace of moisture left.

Give it more than an hour. Give it at least 24, and do not try to power it on in that time.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Good for you for keeping up with your leg days even with a broken toe. I find it so easy to let injuries act as excuses not to work out, even if I can safely do the workout without interfering with healing. Keep up the good work :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice)

Current Stats: STR 10 || DEX 11 || CON 11 || INT 15 || WIS 16 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

19 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Give it more than an hour. Give it at least 24, and do not try to power it on in that time.

It’s hanging out!

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Aquarii said:

Good for you for keeping up with your leg days even with a broken toe. I find it so easy to let injuries act as excuses not to work out, even if I can safely do the workout without interfering with healing. Keep up the good work :)

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Me too. I get a paper cut and I rest. Lol

Thanks! As a sufferer of bipolar, I actually find myself dealing with both sides of the spectrum. During a more manic phase it is ridiculously easy to push myself way too hard, in spite of injury or not being ready. For example, I’d you’ve seen the marathon episode of How I Met Your Mother where Barney, with no preparation, runs a marathon, you’ve a good idea of what I did on my 20th or 21st birthday. I hadn’t been running for the last year and I just up and ran a half marathon on the hills around my parents’ house. Calves locked up too, lol. 

It’s been a sustained depressive episode foe me the last 2 years though, and since starting here I’ve done a pretty good job of at least not injuring myself from overdoing it. The stuff I’m doing, in particular, is designed or modified to help the toe. And the fact that I’m doing it, well, I’m pretty proud of that. And of how far I’ve come since I joined the forums in roughly 2017. 

Heck, that character sheet? I found this site while trying to find an online tracking fitness character sheet to complement it. I never really use that or the profile but these forums and this community are an absolute godsend. 

Seriously, thank you all. 

• Like 4

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

Thanks! As a sufferer of bipolar, I actually find myself dealing with both sides of the spectrum. During a more manic phase it is ridiculously easy to push myself way too hard, in spite of injury or not being ready. For example, I’d you’ve seen the marathon episode of How I Met Your Mother where Barney, with no preparation, runs a marathon, you’ve a good idea of what I did on my 20th or 21st birthday. I hadn’t been running for the last year and I just up and ran a half marathon on the hills around my parents’ house. Calves locked up too, lol. 

I have not seen the episode you speak of, but I can definitely imagine how terrible that would be. I have definitely pushed myself more than once when I really shouldn't have. And I have used the SMALLEST injuries and/or inconveniences as an excuse to not work out. I have not been diagnosed with bipolar, but I do have some idea of what it feels like. I have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety, but my first SSRI I tried pushed me into a hypomanic episode. And I can see why you would run a half marathon. I felt like I could run a half marathon during that episode (thankfully I did not attempt it, since I cannot even run a continuous 5k at this point).

35 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

It’s been a sustained depressive episode foe me the last 2 years though, and since starting here I’ve done a pretty good job of at least not injuring myself from overdoing it. The stuff I’m doing, in particular, is designed or modified to help the toe. And the fact that I’m doing it, well, I’m pretty proud of that. And of how far I’ve come since I joined the forums in roughly 2017. 

You really have come along way. I remember your posts from a few years ago. You have grown a lot and become a lot more open and willing to be vulnerable. I have really enjoyed seeing your transformation. I am sorry that you are having to deal with such a prolonged episode of depression. But you are doing an awesome job. I know how hard it can be to do anything when depression is trying to knock you out, so I know how much work you have to put into staying on top of everything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

WRT that computer, even if the laptop itself is wrecked, the hard drive/SSD might be okay. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  

14 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Hey @Macheteand @spezzy, with the update can someone point me in the direction of the body weight AMRAP boards?

I only know the  push-up  and pull-up AMRAP boards.

3 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

My situation with this is weird. I'm I'm not diagnosed as bipolar but my doc has me on bipolar meds. Meanwhile I'm either just numb or distracted that I can't really pay enough attention to  the effects of the drugs (unless they're outrageously obvious) , so I just swallow what I'm told to.

• Thanks 1

Ah, here you are! Looking forward to stories of #4. 

I don’t have bipolar (that I know about), but I do get depression and I know of these long depression phases. My last really long one (about 3 years) was about 10 years ago, although I’ve had a couple of several month ones and a few shorter ones along the way, too.

You’re amazing ❤️ 

• Thanks 1

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Current Storyline: Tales of Owlshire | 0 | 1

Previous  Storyline: The Entwife’s Heart | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

1 hour ago, Aquarii said:

I have not seen the episode you speak of, but I can definitely imagine how terrible that would be. I have definitely pushed myself more than once when I really shouldn't have. And I have used the SMALLEST injuries and/or inconveniences as an excuse to not work out. I have not been diagnosed with bipolar, but I do have some idea of what it feels like. I have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety, but my first SSRI I tried pushed me into a hypomanic episode. And I can see why you would run a half marathon. I felt like I could run a half marathon during that episode (thankfully I did not attempt it, since I cannot even run a continuous 5k at this point).

Yeah, I feel you there.  

1 hour ago, Aquarii said:

You really have come along way. I remember your posts from a few years ago. You have grown a lot and become a lot more open and willing to be vulnerable. I have really enjoyed seeing your transformation. I am sorry that you are having to deal with such a prolonged episode of depression. But you are doing an awesome job. I know how hard it can be to do anything when depression is trying to knock you out, so I know how much work you have to put into staying on top of everything. 

Well, it’s easier to be vulnerable amongst friends, I think. I’ve a longstanding fear of being publicly open about things but I think it’s so very necessary to move past things and grow. 

Depression sucks. But I have a good support system. Even if I feel worse I also feel better because I’ve got those supports. 

Woody has a lot of dark days these days. I see a lot of me in him, including the anger and frustration and sadness that’s all compounded by the pandemic. I talked with him pretty openly the other night, about feeling down. Sometimes I don’t feel like getting up at all, and I’m sure he’s noticed the days I’m holding on by a thread. Having kids makes it easier for me because I have a reason to have to get up; even when I won’t do it for me I’ll do it for to be love of and duty to my kids and pets (and my wife too).  

The month before I met Jessie, I learned my mom had breast cancer. Which sucked. But that’s not what caused me to crash down. It was learning about it months after the fact and only just before it was declared eradicated.  That hurt. I didn’t get up of my couch for 2 days, and thankfully I had a roommate who was also a good friend. Woody seemed surprised. I told him too that while we aren’t exactly the same, there’s a history of feeling this way in our family and I’ve picked up some tips and tricks over c the years. My family, in spite of the history, knew basically nothing of mental health when I was diagnosed. I know a lot more including that there are things beyond just powering through.

As much as depression sucks, I am glad

to have  a familiarity with it. And a commitment to continually get better and tweak things. My family tended to change one or two major behaviors they hated in their parents as kids but otherwise declare the transformation complete and sort of get stuck. I refuse to stop growing. I’m very fortunate to be married to Jessie, who comes for a substantially healthier family culture. 

54 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

WRT that computer, even if the laptop itself is wrecked, the hard drive/SSD might be okay. Fingers crossed.

I’m hoping that we can snag the HD in the worst case. The good thing is there wasn’t  

a large number of things on it, the bad thing is about half of his incredible Minecraft worlds are. 

5 hours ago, Machete said:

I only know the  push-up  and pull-up AMRAP boards.

Those are the ones I’m thinking of. Thanks!

5 hours ago, Machete said:

My situation with this is weird. I'm I'm not diagnosed as bipolar but my doc has me on bipolar meds. Meanwhile I'm either just numb or distracted that I can't really pay enough attention to  the effects of the drugs (unless they're outrageously obvious) , so I just swallow what I'm told to.

I gotcha. I’ve been on a lot of them over the years. Mood stabilizers have been great for moods but make my arthritis a lot worse. I’m not sure which ones you’re on but I remember that some just knocked me out. 

5 hours ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

Ah, here you are! Looking forward to stories of #4. 

I look forward to telling them. 

I don’t have bipolar (that I know about), but I do get depression and I know of these long depression phases. My last really long one (about 3 years) was about 10 years ago, although I’ve had a couple of several month ones and a few shorter ones along the way, too.

Depression sucks.  Bipolar, at least the manic side, responds very well to the treatment and management I have in place. Which is good because untreated bipolar has a high mortality rate and, as was the case in my family for generations, can really screw a family up. 

I find depression harder to dislodge. But at least my kids just kinda laugh and call me the Grinch when I get cranky from being down. They love the 2018 Grinch movie and more or less view the Grinch as an extremely lonely and depressed person. He loves his Daschund dog and comes around in the end to make things right so I’m totally ok with that. 

You’re amazing ❤️ 

Thanks. I don’t feel amazing. But loyalty and duty are my core values, and they have done as much for me as for others. 

One of the things I struggle with in regards to talking about it is feeling like I am or come off as fishing for attention. I suspect that comes from growing up with a couple of generations of narcissists. 

Thank you and everyone for listening. It helps tremendously. Hopefully, it helps others too. 

• Like 4

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Woody has a lot of dark days these days. I see a lot of me in him, including the anger and frustration and sadness that’s all compounded by the pandemic. I talked with him pretty openly the other night, about feeling down. Sometimes I don’t feel like getting up at all, and I’m sure he’s noticed the days I’m holding on by a thread. Having kids makes it easier for me because I have a reason to have to get up; even when I won’t do it for me I’ll do it for to be love of and duty to my kids and pets (and my wife too).  

I think it is awesome that you are opening those communication lines with your son. I am sure it must be hard to see your son struggling, and also hard to be open and vulnerable with your child. My anxiety symptoms started very young. I was probably not even 2 years old when they started. I didn't know what anxiety really was until my psychology 101 class my freshman year of college, was not formally diagnosed until seeing a psychologist following a mental breakdown when I was 22. Woody is very fortunate to have a father like you, who is willing and able to recognize that he is struggling and have meaningful conversations with him about it. 

Thanks. I don’t feel amazing. But loyalty and duty are my core values, and they have done as much for me as for others. 

I think having core values and people you want to be better for are so important in treating mental health. I have very similar core values to you. Loyalty has always been an extremely important thing for me. Like you, having a spouse and a pets that need me definitely help me to keep fighting and working on my mental health during times that I would have probably crashed in the past. 

Thank you and everyone for listening. It helps tremendously. Hopefully, it helps others too. 

Thank you for being willing to share. Mental health seems to be an area that a lot of us here at NF struggle with, especially in 2020, and I think it is great that people here are willing to have discussions about it and share their experiences - letting other people know they are not alone in this.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

I think it is awesome that you are opening those communication lines with your son. I am sure it must be hard to see your son struggling, and also hard to be open and vulnerable with your child. My anxiety symptoms started very young. I was probably not even 2 years old when they started. I didn't know what anxiety really was until my psychology 101 class my freshman year of college, was not formally diagnosed until seeing a psychologist following a mental breakdown when I was 22. Woody is very fortunate to have a father like you, who is willing and able to recognize that he is struggling and have meaningful conversations with him about it. 

That must have been hard. It’s a lot earlier than mine. My anxiety and depression developed or was drastically worsened at age 11 as a response to trauma. I have my core values and dove headfirst into them but expectations, especially extended family and religious expectations, led me to believe I had to be perfect to be of any value. 

I very specifically don’t want Woody to grow up thinking like I did. He’ll probably still have struggles but with early help and support I think we might be able to manage it a lot better. 

I think having core values and people you want to be better for are so important in treating mental health. I have very similar core values to you. Loyalty has always been an extremely important thing for me. Like you, having a spouse and a pets that need me definitely help me to keep fighting and working on my mental health during times that I would have probably crashed in the past. 

Definitely. 

Thank you for being willing to share. Mental health seems to be an area that a lot of us here at NF struggle with, especially in 2020, and I think it is great that people here are willing to have discussions about it and share their experiences - letting other people know they are not alone in this.

Thanks for being part of a wonderful and accepting online family. Weirdly, in a lot of ways the pandemic and quarantine has been a lifeline to me. Super stressful in a few ways but I was drowning before it. Life in general was too busy, and too isolated amongst crowds. Instead I have spent the literal majority of my hours this year snuggling with my loved ones, and being around my favorite people on this planet. I don’t feel alone or lonely with them. But I feel lonely all the time at work; minus a couple friends in another building and my work sister who is now locked behind glass from me. 

So all in all I have more energy. Even with the pandemic. I’m still terrified someone is gonna get the virus; we’ve been locked down but will be in the hospital, probably unvaccinated, for probably 2 days when that more contagious variant has been identified in the US in Colorado. I am not under any illusions that it is skipping my city just because it’s a long drive. We all have airports and Christmas is likely going to cause a surge in cases. 

BUT.  All in all the quarantine/distancing had had a largely opposite effect, which I am thankful for and mindful is totally different for others. My sister is really struggling.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

That must have been hard. It’s a lot earlier than mine. My anxiety and depression developed or was drastically worsened at age 11 as a response to trauma. I have my core values and dove headfirst into them but expectations, especially extended family and religious expectations, led me to believe I had to be perfect to be of any value. 

It was hard. My anxiety started really young, my first depressive symptoms started showing up when I was around 10 or 11, and spiraled into a tail-spin when I was 15. I was the oldest child, and felt a lot of pressure to be someone my siblings could look up to. It resulted in me internalizing a lot of the struggles I was dealing with and never properly developing emotional relationships with my family in an attempt to protect them from myself. Which was somewhat effective for awhile, but as you can probably guess, that is not a long a healthy long-term strategy. 

Religious expectations are always super hard when it comes to mental health. From what I have seen, there does seem to be some improvements lately, but when I was a kid, symptoms of anxiety and depression were explained away as a "lack of faith" and was treated as something that you could just pray away if your faith was strong enough. At least that was the way it was in my social circle. 

17 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

I very specifically don’t want Woody to grow up thinking like I did. He’ll probably still have struggles but with early help and support I think we might be able to manage it a lot better. 

From everything I have read in my psychology courses, the sooner struggles are identified and supported, the better the long-term prognosis. Woody is definitely fortunate to have you watching out for him. Having these conversations with him now can definitely make a big difference in giving him the tools he needs going forward. It also lets him know that he isn't alone in this, which I think in and of itself makes a huge difference for a kid (or an adult for that matter).

20 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

Thanks for being part of a wonderful and accepting online family. Weirdly, in a lot of ways the pandemic and quarantine has been a lifeline to me. Super stressful in a few ways but I was drowning before it. Life in general was too busy, and too isolated amongst crowds. Instead I have spent the literal majority of my hours this year snuggling with my loved ones, and being around my favorite people on this planet. I don’t feel alone or lonely with them. But I feel lonely all the time at work; minus a couple friends in another building and my work sister who is now locked behind glass from me. 

I am in a very similar boat. I was drowning before the lockdowns. The quarantine gave me an opportunity to just kind of step back from everything and just focus on the things that were most important to me. It also gave me a much-needed break from people. I am a hardcore introvert, but my career interests often put me in situations that require a lot of facetime, and sometimes I just don't take the breaks away from people that I need to function at my best...because I can also be something of a workaholic, lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aquarii said:

It was hard. My anxiety started really young, my first depressive symptoms started showing up when I was around 10 or 11, and spiraled into a tail-spin when I was 15. I was the oldest child, and felt a lot of pressure to be someone my siblings could look up to. It resulted in me internalizing a lot of the struggles I was dealing with and never properly developing emotional relationships with my family in an attempt to protect them from myself. Which was somewhat effective for awhile, but as you can probably guess, that is not a long a healthy long-term strategy. 

Right. A lot of the coping and defense mechanisms we develop work. They’re effective at doing the job we develop them for. But they aren’t so healthy in the long run. We may have discussed this before but I take it you’re also an eldest child?

Religious expectations are always super hard when it comes to mental health. From what I have seen, there does seem to be some improvements lately, but when I was a kid, symptoms of anxiety and depression were explained away as a "lack of faith" and was treated as something that you could just pray away if your faith was strong enough. At least that was the way it was in my social circle. 

Definitely. I think it varies from community to community but I was within days of being 19 before I really got help and it’d been bad for years. I was somewhat fortunate to have an uncle in the field, because he was able to assure my parents that not everything is demonic possession (which our church definitely pushed hard). Some idiot also gave me the book “Depression is a Choice” by A.B. Curtiss and basically blamed me for being morally and psychologically weak and lacking in disciple. I never went back and found what was my home church for many years, whose members (and former members) are still like family to me. I don’t think religion is an evil that a lot of people think but I also think religion is used as an excuse for blaming and feeling self-righteous, and justifies a lot of bad behavior. Personally, I like a lot of ideas like hope and love, but I trust science, empiricism, and limited rationalism more. 

From everything I have read in my psychology courses, the sooner struggles are identified and supported, the better the long-term prognosis. Woody is definitely fortunate to have you watching out for him. Having these conversations with him now can definitely make a big difference in giving him the tools he needs going forward. It also lets him know that he isn't alone in this, which I think in and of itself makes a huge difference for a kid (or an adult for that matter).

Same. In a hard year like this we’ve had a lot of talks about this. Jessie and I have both been aware and working on all this with him for a couple of years but this one has been really rough for him. So I figured it was high time that he realize that his daddy, a powerful figure in his life, also sometimes struggles with this and that it doesn’t have to own you. And that it runs in the family, but I’m not taking the family “one-and-done” approach to self-improvement because if you aren’t learning you’re dying. 

I am in a very similar boat. I was drowning before the lockdowns. The quarantine gave me an opportunity to just kind of step back from everything and just focus on the things that were most important to me. It also gave me a much-needed break from people. I am a hardcore introvert, but my career interests often put me in situations that require a lot of facetime, and sometimes I just don't take the breaks away from people that I need to function at my best...because I can also be something of a workaholic, lol.

I hear you. I wasn’t necessarily a work workaholic but I take pride in what I do, and take a team attitude that means it isn’t uncommon for me to do a lopsided amount of my team’s work. Then with dance and gymnastics and swimming and volunteer work it just seemed like I was always going somewhere. I hate going places. I like being there, but loading the family into the car just zaps my energy. Each time it’s about 10% of my energy for the day, so just picking up and dropping off kids on an average day was about 20% of what I had in me.  

I love people. I love being around people and taking to them and knowing them but it also saps me. When I worked in a call center I’d find disused offices to nap in. My work the last several years is a lot better paced and something I set more on my own, but even still I was overwhelmed and also, often, stress-bored at work. That is, I’d finish my work for the day (and sometimes week or month) and then still have to stick around for the rest of the day. Sure, I could read or stuff like that but ultimately I’d spend most of the day dwelling on the 10,000 things I had to do at home as the house was always a (much bigger than now) wreck and we couldn’t eat as many good home-cooked meals, whereas now I can cook meals during the day for dinner at least, and spend a lot of my work time with snuggle buddies like this guy:

DA9EC2E9-61B6-4BF0-B950-37D73D552B1B.jpeg

• Like 2

Spoiler

On the note of being home:

Goal 1: Substantially better today. 
Goal 2: Pending but it’s an upper body day. 
Goal 3: My Gamma Vault containers arrived, doubling my storage. I now have one filled with cat food, one with dog food, one with flour, one with rice, one with granulated sugar, and one with powdered sugar. And a much better organized bulk storage space. We also reclaimed the living room from the Christmas present toy explosion. 

My birthday gift is a Bissell Big Green Clean Machine and I can’t wait for it to arrive. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

31 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

Right. A lot of the coping and defense mechanisms we develop work. They’re effective at doing the job we develop them for. But they aren’t so healthy in the long run. We may have discussed this before but I take it you’re also an eldest child?

Mmm, I don't know if we have discussed it, but I have probably mentioned it in a challenge before. I am the eldest of 8 kids. I was homeschooled through my sophomore year of high school, and often my parents (who both worked full time) could not afford a babysitter. So, I have served as big sister, baby-sitter, teacher/tutor, and sometimes parental figure to at least a few of my siblings at some point or another. At least until my young-mid teen years. I think the hard part about that relationship was that I was often expected to be more of a leader/enforcer/disciplinarian, instead of getting to be on the same level with my siblings. So it was hard for me to ever be vulnerable with them or feel like I could talk to them about my troubles, even though I always love having them come to me when they need help.

35 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

Definitely. I think it varies from community to community but I was within days of being 19 before I really got help and it’d been bad for years. I was somewhat fortunate to have an uncle in the field, because he was able to assure my parents that not everything is demonic possession (which our church definitely pushed hard). Some idiot also gave me the book “Depression is a Choice” by A.B. Curtiss and basically blamed me for being morally and psychologically weak and lacking in disciple. I never went back and found what was my home church for many years, whose members (and former members) are still like family to me. I don’t think religion is an evil that a lot of people think but I also think religion is used as an excuse for blaming and feeling self-righteous, and justifies a lot of bad behavior. Personally, I like a lot of ideas like hope and love, but I trust science, empiricism, and limited rationalism more. 

I usually take a "they know not what they do" approach. I have no hard feelings towards people who think that way. They were raised that way. Usually they are not trying to be malicious, they just simply do not understand how their ideas hurt people who are genuinely struggling with mental health disorders. I mean, even my dad, who is therapist, who got his degree in counseling from a seminary, who has been in the counseling profession for over two decades sometimes says stuff that can come off kind of harsh and insensitive. I think for people who genuinely don't know what it is like, or have been so deeply engrained in that doctrine, they just don't see. 

I was 22 before I got help, and that only happened because my best friend at the time (who now happens to be my husband), begged me to get help. So I get it. It is a hard mentality to break out of, especially when you were raised that way.

45 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

Same. In a hard year like this we’ve had a lot of talks about this. Jessie and I have both been aware and working on all this with him for a couple of years but this one has been really rough for him. So I figured it was high time that he realize that his daddy, a powerful figure in his life, also sometimes struggles with this and that it doesn’t have to own you. And that it runs in the family, but I’m not taking the family “one-and-done” approach to self-improvement because if you aren’t learning you’re dying. 

I think it is also helpful to him to know his family history, but have it couched with the idea that history is not destiny. It allows him to know that he may have inherited some of that history, but by watching you, he can see that it does not have to define him or stop him from living a good life, having a healthy family, a good career, etc. I think some people get caught up in their family history, thinking that it is a death sentence and not even worth fighting. 

I won't add another quote to keep this from getting TOO terribly long, but your cat is adorable! And I totally get you on loving people but being zapped by them. My social anxiety makes me like being around them a little less sometimes, but definitely doesn't make me care about them any less.

• Like 2