Adventurers of the Lucky Vale XVI

24 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

I definitely think nurturing plays a part. It has such a huge impact on mindset, which can definitely impact whether or not someone will even aim for their potential. I was merely pointing out that lifting weights and other abilities are not simply determined by how much time you put into it or whether or not your parents got you involved in the activity as a child. Because there are so many factors that go into the mastery of any skill or ability. And starting something young does not mean someone will be a master at it when they are old. My dad was not able to run and play tag with us when I was a kid. He could not get on the ice when he took us to the rink. He can only do extremely low impact exercises like swimming. Why? Because he played sports and danced in high school and destroyed his knees so badly that if he injures them again, he may not be able to walk, so he has to be very careful about the activities he does and is often in pain. Starting young with something may give you a competitive edge...or it may have a negative impact on the entirety of your adult life. 

Agreed. 

My point is that @Teros need not worry about where he would have been had he started something as a younger person or lived a different life, or how he compares to someone who started younger. That the progression isn't linear, and sometimes the wisdom and patience of age can make up for the loss of a little of the extra vitality and time of youth. And genetics, lol!

...my 23 year old brother is 6'3", my 18 year old brother is 6'5" my 14 year old brother (still growing) is ~6'. So...I get it. Giants.

That’s what I’m looking at. Your brothers are like my uncles and my wife’s uncles, and my 7-year-old will likely pass his grandmas this year. 

I think that is an awesome goal to have. It is always cool when dads are able to do a lot of activities with their kids. My dad couldn't do quite as much because of his knees, but he still swam with us and biked with us and did what he could when I was a kid. Arthritis sounds very rough. I am glad to hear you are doing your best not to let it slow you down too much though.

I’m sorry to hear that about your dad. Mine is autoimmune arthritis so it gets a lot better with and comes and goes. In 2012, I was using a cane. In 2017, I carried 2 children and our bags while pushing a wheelchair at Disney World. So treatment and the presence of a flare up is huge. Reasonable physical training, taking meds, and stress management are all critical which is part of why they’re such recurring themes in my challenges. I know what I want my health for and that’s certainly a far cry from my situation just 12 years ago. 

• Like 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

10 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

That’s what I’m looking at. Your brothers are like my uncles and my wife’s uncles, and my 7-year-old will likely pass his grandmas this year. 

The height is all over the place in my family. On my mom's side, everyone is fairly tall. On my dad's side, his parents are not very tall, his siblings are maybe around average/slighly above average, but my dad ended up around 6'1-2" at his tallest. My brothers are giants, taller than pretty much everyone I have met in our extended family. I am tall for a female (at 5'10") but I feel short standing next to my brothers, haha. I am the tallest of my sisters, but the shortest of my sisters is 5'6", which is still taller than the average. But I am still slightly shorter than my mom, who is 5'11". Though I think either she has gotten a little shorter with age, or I need to get re-measured (I don't think I have had my height checked since maybe around the end of high school), because when I stand next to her, I am pretty sure we are the same height, lol

I’m sorry to hear that about your dad. Mine is autoimmune arthritis so it gets a lot better with and comes and goes. In 2012, I was using a cane. In 2017, I carried 2 children and our bags while pushing a wheelchair at Disney World. So treatment and the presence of a flare up is huge. Reasonable physical training, taking meds, and stress management are all critical which is part of why they’re such recurring themes in my challenges. I know what I want my health for and that’s certainly a far cry from my situation just 12 years ago. 

I think there are probably things my dad could have done and still could do to help with his knees. Medical capabilities have come a long way since I was a kid. But, I don't know enough about his specific injuries to make that call. I think he largely just accepted it as final. 

I am glad you are able to manage your arthritis. I don't think I even knew that autoimmune arthristis was a thing. Is that hereditary? It is amazing that you could go from using a cane to carrying all that five years later. It is great that you have a very specific goal and intention for your training. I am sure it helps keep you motivated to take your medication, keep training, and manage your stress and diet, even when you don't feel like it. 

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice)

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 11 || INT 15 || WIS 16 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

55 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

The height is all over the place in my family. On my mom's side, everyone is fairly tall. On my dad's side, his parents are not very tall, his siblings are maybe around average/slighly above average, but my dad ended up around 6'1-2" at his tallest. My brothers are giants, taller than pretty much everyone I have met in our extended family. I am tall for a female (at 5'10") but I feel short standing next to my brothers, haha. I am the tallest of my sisters, but the shortest of my sisters is 5'6", which is still taller than the average. But I am still slightly shorter than my mom, who is 5'11". Though I think either she has gotten a little shorter with age, or I need to get re-measured (I don't think I have had my height checked since maybe around the end of high school), because when I stand next to her, I am pretty sure we are the same height, lol

I am 5’10”. I recently discovered that the drs office I went to for years added an inch onto all men’s heights. That was an annoying bit of ego massage I didn’t need and it three my health calculations off for years. Jessie was unsurprised but never said anything, I know some people are weird about height.

I think there are probably things my dad could have done and still could do to help with his knees. Medical capabilities have come a long way since I was a kid. But, I don't know enough about his specific injuries to make that call. I think he largely just accepted it as final. 

I’m sorry to hear that. 

I am glad you are able to manage your arthritis. I don't think I even knew that autoimmune arthristis was a thing. Is that hereditary? It is amazing that you could go from using a cane to carrying all that five years later. It is great that you have a very specific goal and intention for your training. I am sure it helps keep you motivated to take your medication, keep training, and manage your stress and diet, even when you don't feel like it. 

It is. Psoriatic arthritis is a complication of psoriasis, which normally causes itchy patchy skin as the immune system attacks skins cells. But it can also start attacking joint tissue.

The good thing is that there’s medicine you can take and things you can do to minimize and prevent flare ups, and as long as you avoid more permanent damage you can lead a fairly normal life in between flare ups. It’s not 100% but medical science has made it so I can be pretty normal outside of those flare ups and I’m grateful.  

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

46 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

I am 5’10”. I recently discovered that the drs office I went to for years added an inch onto all men’s heights. That was an annoying bit of ego massage I didn’t need and it three my health calculations off for years. Jessie was unsurprised but never said anything, I know some people are weird about height.

Really? That explains why one of my male friends swears up and down that he measures at 5'10" at the Dr office, even though he is most definitely shorter than me. I don't think they bother adding any height to females, it definitely seems like more of a big deal to guys than to women. Height is one of those things I am just very matter-of-fact about, because it is one of the few things that you really can't do much of anything to change. It just is what it is, haha.

49 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

I’m sorry to hear that. 

It is frustrating. Especially now as he takes a similar approach to his health and weight. It is frustrating to watch someone just give up and stop trying to live a better life. 

51 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

It is. Psoriatic arthritis is a complication of psoriasis, which normally causes itchy patchy skin as the immune system attacks skins cells. But it can also start attacking joint tissue.

The good thing is that there’s medicine you can take and things you can do to minimize and prevent flare ups, and as long as you avoid more permanent damage you can lead a fairly normal life in between flare ups. It’s not 100% but medical science has made it so I can be pretty normal outside of those flare ups and I’m grateful.  

Huh, I had no idea that it attacked joints too. Do flare-ups occur often? Or does the medication help to keep them at bay most of the time? Does diet effect it? Or more just stress, sleep, and exercise? If you don't mind sharing, of course.

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

2 hours ago, Aquarii said:

Really? That explains why one of my male friends swears up and down that he measures at 5'10" at the Dr office, even though he is most definitely shorter than me. I don't think they bother adding any height to females, it definitely seems like more of a big deal to guys than to women. Height is one of those things I am just very matter-of-fact about, because it is one of the few things that you really can't do much of anything to change. It just is what it is, haha.

Yeah. The guy went away for fraud a few years ago too, big multimillion dollar Medicare scheme. But he was my first primary care doctor as an adult and apparently one of the little flattery things to make men like him more was to bump their height on purpose. So my first adult drivers’ license had the wrong height on it. I never paid that much attention to it unless I was doing body fat stuff and I didn’t find out my real height until I paid attention at another doctor appointment very recently, maybe in the last year or two? The last in person appointment I had for me, myself. 

Part of me is disappointed I am not taller but that’s mostly the part of me that remembers towering over all my peers until I was maybe 12. Now it’s a non-issue except the false information actually may have influenced some of my health decisions for the worse. 

It is frustrating. Especially now as he takes a similar approach to his health and weight. It is frustrating to watch someone just give up and stop trying to live a better life. 

I hear you there. That’s only a step removed from taking one step to help treat a lifelong condition and basically ignoring it. I think that a lot of us joined Nerdfitness in part because we are reacting against that or at least not wanting to be that way. 

Huh, I had no idea that it attacked joints too. Do flare-ups occur often? Or does the medication help to keep them at bay most of the time? Does diet effect it? Or more just stress, sleep, and exercise? If you don't mind sharing, of course.

It can. Mostly it’s skin, and typically you only get joints or eyes or other stuff when it’s more severe. Mine usually isn’t that bad with the advanced meds developed in the last decade, and it hits most of my joints during flare-ups but not the eyes or anything.  It also shows up at injury sites or places with a lot of irritation, and tends to be symmetrical.  For example, I skinned my knee a few times as a kid, and got a scar. Just the one knee. Psoriasis developed and now a nearly identical friend appeared on the other knee. 

I don’t get nearly as many anymore. Certain medications like lithium cause flare ups and worsening symptoms, and required a lot more aggressive treatment when I was on them (the alternatives make it worse too but not quite so much). Diet does affect it. Foods high in MSG and other salt as well as too many carbs can trigger inflammation, and most beer will do that as well. For that matter, drinking more than a glass of an alcoholic beverage or getting dehydrated can worsen things, as can dry air.  There’s a lot of triggers and a lot of things I can do to help, but stress can cause it to worsen as can lack of sleep. Or anything irritating the skin like cleaning products and a lot of soaps, or injuries.

Sunlight helps, as does vitamin D, but only if I don’t get a sunburn which can dramatically worsen it. Being outdoors is wonderful. 

We mostly clean with Norwex microfiber and other tools from the company these days. We originally got it because the new house has counters and toilets and marble floors that can’t be cleaned with normal cleaning stuff but it didn’t take long to see the psoriasis benefits as well as it being more pregnancy-friendly , asthma-friendly, and generally better air quality. It’s made cleaning a lot better for me. 

I wasn’t diagnosed with the “arthritis” part until 9 years ago. It was scary and sort of felt like life was over. I worried I wouldn’t be able to hold my kids. I started the first systemic treatment shortly after Woody was born after having used a cane for most of the previous year, and I only took the step because Jessie encouraged me to do so. (One other side effect: psoriasis can cause and/or worsen depression, which is certainly did for me).  I stopped going to the guy that initially diagnosed me and moved to the best regarded doctor in the region for psoriatic arthritis. She’s on the cutting edge and that’s helpful since things have advanced so much over the last few years. I am very glad that I went to her and did not give up. 

I know how to push myself to and beyond my physical limits. I’m glad I’ve learned how to be smart and plan, which lets me avoid injury and achieve more than I thought possible at all much less with the arthritis. I’m also glad I had support and didn’t succumb to needlessly accepting a lifetime of disability out of ignorance, because it really was far from the truth. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

https://applesearch.org/help.html

Jessie found this page and we’re going crazy on it. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Me: *after considering all the varieties* We can do 22 trees, right?

Jessie: Probably more like 5. Let’s send that email Tomorrow...

• Like 3

Spoiler

So given the space requirements I think we can do 5 in the back. We could also put one in each side yard and then we could let them grow to be a lot bigger; I’d be looking for one that has prettier apples for that. 

We already have a up to about a quarter ton of  potential apple yield ton but we also consume a lot of apples. Plus, the idea of heirloom/lost apples that are unique in comparison to the ones typically found in nurseries or stores really speaks to me. 

That said, I’m less sure of the espalier plan with them since I don’t want to risk apples I value more than ones that are likely inedible and easily replaced with time. So I might still use the smaller ones to fill space but I’ll not fully espalier the big ones. 

Choices choices. 

• Like 3

Spoiler

On 1/9/2021 at 5:17 PM, Sciread77 said:

Yeah. The guy went away for fraud a few years ago too, big multimillion dollar Medicare scheme. But he was my first primary care doctor as an adult and apparently one of the little flattery things to make men like him more was to bump their height on purpose. So my first adult drivers’ license had the wrong height on it. I never paid that much attention to it unless I was doing body fat stuff and I didn’t find out my real height until I paid attention at another doctor appointment very recently, maybe in the last year or two? The last in person appointment I had for me, myself. 

Oh wow. Yeah, I would be really frustrated if my doctor was giving me wrong numbers. A lot of people may think an extra inch doesn't make much of a difference, but it definitely does when it comes to calculating things like macros and whatnot.

On 1/9/2021 at 5:17 PM, Sciread77 said:

It can. Mostly it’s skin, and typically you only get joints or eyes or other stuff when it’s more severe. Mine usually isn’t that bad with the advanced meds developed in the last decade, and it hits most of my joints during flare-ups but not the eyes or anything.  It also shows up at injury sites or places with a lot of irritation, and tends to be symmetrical.  For example, I skinned my knee a few times as a kid, and got a scar. Just the one knee. Psoriasis developed and now a nearly identical friend appeared on the other knee. 

I don’t get nearly as many anymore. Certain medications like lithium cause flare ups and worsening symptoms, and required a lot more aggressive treatment when I was on them (the alternatives make it worse too but not quite so much). Diet does affect it. Foods high in MSG and other salt as well as too many carbs can trigger inflammation, and most beer will do that as well. For that matter, drinking more than a glass of an alcoholic beverage or getting dehydrated can worsen things, as can dry air.  There’s a lot of triggers and a lot of things I can do to help, but stress can cause it to worsen as can lack of sleep. Or anything irritating the skin like cleaning products and a lot of soaps, or injuries.

Sunlight helps, as does vitamin D, but only if I don’t get a sunburn which can dramatically worsen it. Being outdoors is wonderful. 

We mostly clean with Norwex microfiber and other tools from the company these days. We originally got it because the new house has counters and toilets and marble floors that can’t be cleaned with normal cleaning stuff but it didn’t take long to see the psoriasis benefits as well as it being more pregnancy-friendly , asthma-friendly, and generally better air quality. It’s made cleaning a lot better for me. 

I wasn’t diagnosed with the “arthritis” part until 9 years ago. It was scary and sort of felt like life was over. I worried I wouldn’t be able to hold my kids. I started the first systemic treatment shortly after Woody was born after having used a cane for most of the previous year, and I only took the step because Jessie encouraged me to do so. (One other side effect: psoriasis can cause and/or worsen depression, which is certainly did for me).  I stopped going to the guy that initially diagnosed me and moved to the best regarded doctor in the region for psoriatic arthritis. She’s on the cutting edge and that’s helpful since things have advanced so much over the last few years. I am very glad that I went to her and did not give up. 

I know how to push myself to and beyond my physical limits. I’m glad I’ve learned how to be smart and plan, which lets me avoid injury and achieve more than I thought possible at all much less with the arthritis. I’m also glad I had support and didn’t succumb to needlessly accepting a lifetime of disability out of ignorance, because it really was far from the truth. 

I am glad you were able to find ways that helped you manage it, and glad that your wife insisted that you keep trying when you were discouraged. I know my body can easily freak out because of certain triggers (I am looking at you, gluten, dairy, sugar, msg, alcohol), but I can only imagine how much worse it would be to have that inflammation AND have to worry about it causing an arthritis flare up. 

I love Norwex. My husband isn't as big into them, but my mom loved them and got me hooked on them. I especially love cleaning glass and windows with them, because they never leave any streaks and work SO well. 

7 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

So given the space requirements I think we can do 5 in the back. We could also put one in each side yard and then we could let them grow to be a lot bigger; I’d be looking for one that has prettier apples for that. 

We already have a up to about a quarter ton of  potential apple yield ton but we also consume a lot of apples. Plus, the idea of heirloom/lost apples that are unique in comparison to the ones typically found in nurseries or stores really speaks to me. 

That said, I’m less sure of the espalier plan with them since I don’t want to risk apples I value more than ones that are likely inedible and easily replaced with time. So I might still use the smaller ones to fill space but I’ll not fully espalier the big ones. 

Choices choices. 

Having fresh apples available every sounds absolutely amazing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aquarii said:

Oh wow. Yeah, I would be really frustrated if my doctor was giving me wrong numbers. A lot of people may think an extra inch doesn't make much of a difference, but it definitely does when it comes to calculating things like macros and whatnot.

Quite. I’m glad to have the correct information!

I am glad you were able to find ways that helped you manage it, and glad that your wife insisted that you keep trying when you were discouraged. I know my body can easily freak out because of certain triggers (I am looking at you, gluten, dairy, sugar, msg, alcohol), but I can only imagine how much worse it would be to have that inflammation AND have to worry about it causing an arthritis flare up. 

Yeah. I really don’t drink alcohol anymore. I have a few drinks a year on average now, like during our Independence Day barbecue, our birthdays, and traditional Christmas bourbon slush. I also make it a point to NOT drink at all when Jessie is pregnant. And I don’t miss it. I drank a lot before we met and a couple times heavily just after we met but honestly, I was miserable and lonely and just trying to dull the pain. It didn’t work either. 

I love Norwex. My husband isn't as big into them, but my mom loved them and got me hooked on them. I especially love cleaning glass and windows with them, because they never leave any streaks and work SO well. 

Jessie sells it now. We have most of the stuff and it’s been just night and day differences in cleaning. I mean, I still struggle to keep the house in order with her in late pregnancy but I can’t imagine doing it without that stuff. We hired a (now friend) to help us out with the house during the last pregnancy and Bo Peep’s first few months. 

Having fresh apples available every sounds absolutely amazing. 

I agree. It’ll probably be a few years still before we have that. I’m working hard to speed it up if possible though, and I honestly can’t imagine being sick of apples. We eat a lot of fruit here and my kids default to apples, bananas, and oranges. A 10-lb bag will just evaporate if they get hungry. I fantasize about having a consistent supply for half the year. The orchard and garden in general are in part about ensuring we have our favorite things available, like fruits and tomatoes and broccoli and greens and cauliflower. Most of it doesn’t happen overnight though. Fruit stuff in particular takes a year or two to really mature and being producing or to being producing at full capacity. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

You can espalier 22 apple trees, surely. Columnar, if you have to. Go on...

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

You can espalier 22 apple trees, surely. Columnar, if you have to. Go on...

Columnar is basically the plan. I’m not as keen to take a risk with a large number of comparatively rare trees all at once. I can continue to later them as well as time goes on. Plus I’ll have my seedlings. 

I wish I could afford to buy my grandma’s property outright, then I’d ask for a few of everything on the site. I’d basically have 2-3 acres of orchard space to work with. I’m still trying to work all that out financially. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Goal update:

I’ve been hitting them.

1. Sleep is the shakiest, less due to time asleep and more due to quality of sleep. Knowing the baby will be here in 8 days or fewer, I’m always sort of on high alert for a trip to the hospital and its hard to hit a deep sleep. But I’m doing my best. 

2.  I’m doing really well with this. Adding in the occlusion training for at least 2 days between full regular calisthenics workouts has spurred me into fantastic progress. I think the daily calisthenics are helping the kids too. Just having regular structure in the day really helps them. 

3. One foot in front of the other. Yesterday I took the outdoor Christmas lights down and I’ve been working on putting the decorations away in an organized fashion. I’m using the tubs that previously held sacks of flour and rice for the decorations. With luck, I’ll actually have the garage cleared out for when the baby arrives. 

Today I’m mostly focused on clearing tasks at work and putting interior decorations away. At least I want to get the tree down. 

Well, technically I want to leave it up. But I need to get it down to rearrange the world for le bebe. 

• Like 3

Spoiler

23 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Yeah. I really don’t drink alcohol anymore. I have a few drinks a year on average now, like during our Independence Day barbecue, our birthdays, and traditional Christmas bourbon slush. I also make it a point to NOT drink at all when Jessie is pregnant. And I don’t miss it. I drank a lot before we met and a couple times heavily just after we met but honestly, I was miserable and lonely and just trying to dull the pain. It didn’t work either. 

I drank fairly heavy for a year, and after that have drank less and less. Especially once I became sensitive to gluten, which meant I could no longer drink beer. And then this past year starting medication, I have been very cautious about consuming alcohol most of the time. 

Jessie sells it now. We have most of the stuff and it’s been just night and day differences in cleaning. I mean, I still struggle to keep the house in order with her in late pregnancy but I can’t imagine doing it without that stuff. We hired a (now friend) to help us out with the house during the last pregnancy and Bo Peep’s first few months. 

I imagine it must be difficult to keep a house clean by yourself with so many kids around. Are any of your kids able to help with chores yet? Or still too young?

I agree. It’ll probably be a few years still before we have that. I’m working hard to speed it up if possible though, and I honestly can’t imagine being sick of apples. We eat a lot of fruit here and my kids default to apples, bananas, and oranges. A 10-lb bag will just evaporate if they get hungry. I fantasize about having a consistent supply for half the year. The orchard and garden in general are in part about ensuring we have our favorite things available, like fruits and tomatoes and broccoli and greens and cauliflower. Most of it doesn’t happen overnight though. Fruit stuff in particular takes a year or two to really mature and being producing or to being producing at full capacity. 

My family was like that with fruit. Especially since there were eight of us kids. I am sure my parents would have loved to have apple trees to keep all us locusts fed, lol. My dad would grow fresh veggies when I was in middle school and high school, and I loved it. It always tasted so much better than the store-bought stuff.

7 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Goal update:

I’ve been hitting them.

Great job on hitting your goals! You are doing great, especially with the stress of a new baby on the way :)

5 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

I drank fairly heavy for a year, and after that have drank less and less. Especially once I became sensitive to gluten, which meant I could no longer drink beer. And then this past year starting medication, I have been very cautious about consuming alcohol most of the time. 

The drinking went from “fairly moderate” to “3-4 time a year” (or less) a lot faster once the arthritis really kicked in. 

I imagine it must be difficult to keep a house clean by yourself with so many kids around. Are any of your kids able to help with chores yet? Or still too young?

It can be overwhelming. Jessie is a LOT better at organizing and completing most  housework than me. When we work together we get a lot done.  She still has days where she can but with the kids home all day it’s practically a full time job for an adult to keep up, and both of us have jobs that suck up more than an average workweek. Further, my mother-in-law and her sister help watch the kids and with school, which is great, but neither is much of a disciplinarian and they sort of throw their hands in the air when the kids get wild as opposed to doing the sensible thing, which is tossing them in the back yard with the dogs to burn the energy off on the playset. I’m glad for their help, but the house doesn’t stay or

get cleaner, as they focus on the kids staying safe. My mother-in-law had ruined knees, got one knee replacement, and the other was supposed to be last June and they cancelled all of those kinds of surgeries due to the pandemic so she’s limited to talking and her sister is 10 years older and also not in the best shape to chase the kids around our choice. They’re used to their house, where the kids stay on one floor.

The kids are getting old enough to help. They have some chores but a lot of it is still beyond them. Some of the areas are embarrassingly bad. They’re good if I have a well-defined task but some places are overwhelming for an adult and it’s too much. They can assist but not so regular pick up yet because many things just don’t have a home. They did load and unload the dishwasher for a while but when they load it they tend to clog it so they lost that chore, as much as I hate to take it back. 

I did find out that Jessie’s sister-cousin is coming to stay with us 2 weeks after the baby is born. She’ll be around for a while and it’s a relief; Jessie and the kids (and I) miss her terribly and it’s been far too long since we’ve seen each other in person. 

My family was like that with fruit. Especially since there were eight of us kids. I am sure my parents would have loved to have apple trees to keep all us locusts fed, lol. My dad would grow fresh veggies when I was in middle school and high school, and I loved it. It always tasted so much better than the store-bought stuff.

I bet! 8 kids, well, I don’t have to tell you that’s a lot! My goal is to add a pool and between that, the orchard, and the (hopefully put together enough to entertain by then) house we should be the social base for the kids and their friends. If we successfully start those other trees I want the neighbor kids to feel free to eat off of them as well.

Great job on hitting your goals! You are doing great, especially with the stress of a new baby on the way :)

Thanks! That’s what I’m hoping. 

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

its hard to sleep when you are poised to leap into action! I think getting all this stuff done is a great idea! You are helping Future You. 

That’s the plan! Baby and beyond.  I hope it works. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

The drinking went from “fairly moderate” to “3-4 time a year” (or less) a lot faster once the arthritis really kicked in. 

Oh, I bet. People sometimes ask me why I don't eat gluten or dairy even though they won't actually kill me to eat it,it  just might be painful/uncomfortable. And my response is usually something along the lines of "because it isn't worth it?" It is amazing how fast one can clean up their diet when there are direct and nearly immediately noticable physical consequences. 

It can be overwhelming. Jessie is a LOT better at organizing and completing most  housework than me. When we work together we get a lot done.  She still has days where she can but with the kids home all day it’s practically a full time job for an adult to keep up, and both of us have jobs that suck up more than an average workweek. Further, my mother-in-law and her sister help watch the kids and with school, which is great, but neither is much of a disciplinarian and they sort of throw their hands in the air when the kids get wild as opposed to doing the sensible thing, which is tossing them in the back yard with the dogs to burn the energy off on the playset. I’m glad for their help, but the house doesn’t stay or

get cleaner, as they focus on the kids staying safe. My mother-in-law had ruined knees, got one knee replacement, and the other was supposed to be last June and they cancelled all of those kinds of surgeries due to the pandemic so she’s limited to talking and her sister is 10 years older and also not in the best shape to chase the kids around our choice. They’re used to their house, where the kids stay on one floor.

The kids are getting old enough to help. They have some chores but a lot of it is still beyond them. Some of the areas are embarrassingly bad. They’re good if I have a well-defined task but some places are overwhelming for an adult and it’s too much. They can assist but not so regular pick up yet because many things just don’t have a home. They did load and unload the dishwasher for a while but when they load it they tend to clog it so they lost that chore, as much as I hate to take it back. 

I did find out that Jessie’s sister-cousin is coming to stay with us 2 weeks after the baby is born. She’ll be around for a while and it’s a relief; Jessie and the kids (and I) miss her terribly and it’s been far too long since we’ve seen each other in person.

I am glad you were able to find a family memeber to help you out when the baby comes. I remember those first few weeks were always quite exhausting for my parents when they brought home a new sibling. It sounds like you definitely have your hands full with the housework right now. I remember it was always more difficult to keep our house from looking like it wasn't just hit by a tornado during the colder season. The kids had to wear more layers when they went outside, which meant more layers thrown around the house. And if there wasn't snow on the ground, we mostly wanted to play inside where it was warm. Which meant there was more than one occasion that my parents walked into a living room covered in blankets, army men, and dolls with the kitchen and dining room littered with whatever we got into for a snack. 

I bet! 8 kids, well, I don’t have to tell you that’s a lot! My goal is to add a pool and between that, the orchard, and the (hopefully put together enough to entertain by then) house we should be the social base for the kids and their friends. If we successfully start those other trees I want the neighbor kids to feel free to eat off of them as well.

Yeah, it was a lot of kids. I can say without being hyperbolic, that there was never a dull moment in my house growing up, lol. We also tended to be the social base in the neighborhood, which meant we often had 3+ friends over as well. It is great to create a space that is appealing to your kids and their friends to socialize. As much as my mom certainly didn't need more kids running around the place, she was fine with our house being the social base, knowing that she could better monitor the types of discussions and activities that were happening then if we were cast to the winds all over the neighborhood.

1 hour ago, Aquarii said:

Oh, I bet. People sometimes ask me why I don't eat gluten or dairy even though they won't actually kill me to eat it,it  just might be painful/uncomfortable. And my response is usually something along the lines of "because it isn't worth it?" It is amazing how fast one can clean up their diet when there are direct and nearly immediately noticable physical consequences. 

That’s the truth. And also, I noticed the one of the few times I drank more than that after Woody was born that most of what it does is get in the way of having a good time with the kids.  It’s just more fun to be present with them. And it really was never that great anyway. 

I am glad you were able to find a family memeber to help you out when the baby comes. I remember those first few weeks were always quite exhausting for my parents when they brought home a new sibling. It sounds like you definitely have your hands full with the housework right now. I remember it was always more difficult to keep our house from looking like it wasn't just hit by a tornado during the colder season. The kids had to wear more layers when they went outside, which meant more layers thrown around the house. And if there wasn't snow on the ground, we mostly wanted to play inside where it was warm. Which meant there was more than one occasion that my parents walked into a living room covered in blankets, army men, and dolls with the kitchen and dining room littered with whatever we got into for a snack. 

Same. That happened last night and she offered out of the blue. It’s been a mental windfall for us. We were going to ask my parents and they usually help too but they watch my niece and nephew and aren’t willing/able to quarantine away from them to come help us. It wouldn’t be nearly so bad except that the whole extended family doesn’t really take COVID seriously. 

Yeah, it was a lot of kids. I can say without being hyperbolic, that there was never a dull moment in my house growing up, lol. We also tended to be the social base in the neighborhood, which meant we often had 3+ friends over as well. It is great to create a space that is appealing to your kids and their friends to socialize. As much as my mom certainly didn't need more kids running around the place, she was fine with our house being the social base, knowing that she could better monitor the types of discussions and activities that were happening then if we were cast to the winds all over the neighborhood.

It sounds stressful and awesome all at once. I have one younger sister but I was closer in age to my younger uncles than my mom so I’ve sort of experienced being both the oldest grandchild/sibling and being the youngest brother.  My dad was best friends with my oldest uncle before marrying my mom and the younger ones were little kids when that happened. Jessie grew up basically an only child and didn’t really know her sister until the last few years so her cousins were more like her siblings. We both wanted a bigger family for that reason. 

But it IS difficult to keep things together. The worst part is how fast things can fall apart/get messy, especially in winter as you noted! Though admittedly part of the problem (that I’m also focusing on fixing with my goal) is that a lot of things don’t have a real home so they end up sitting on a counter or on a floor. Which clutters stuff up. 

The disadvantage to the added help is I have to deconstruct my sound booth, which is built in the play room (our guest bedroom) out of the guest beds and box springs. Though I haven’t done voiceover since the beginning of the pandemic since I’m focusing on sleep and it’s only doable when everyone (including neighbors and River barges) are asleep. 

Spoiler

Another week, another recent AMRAP push-up record! 33, and just a smidgeon away from 34! It’s quite heartening that I’m beyond my record for last year when I did so very many push-ups specifically training to get better at doing push-ups. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

That’s the truth. And also, I noticed the one of the few times I drank more than that after Woody was born that most of what it does is get in the way of having a good time with the kids.  It’s just more fun to be present with them. And it really was never that great anyway. 

I still find it enjoyable in the moment. Mostly because I have social anxiety, and it takes care of that real fast, lol. And just helps with my anxiety in the moment in general, regardless of the situation. But, it is less a treatment and more a trade-off, my anxiety will likely be worse the next day. 

It sounds stressful and awesome all at once. I have one younger sister but I was closer in age to my younger uncles than my mom so I’ve sort of experienced being both the oldest grandchild/sibling and being the youngest brother.  My dad was best friends with my oldest uncle before marrying my mom and the younger ones were little kids when that happened. Jessie grew up basically an only child and didn’t really know her sister until the last few years so her cousins were more like her siblings. We both wanted a bigger family for that reason. 

But it IS difficult to keep things together. The worst part is how fast things can fall apart/get messy, especially in winter as you noted! Though admittedly part of the problem (that I’m also focusing on fixing with my goal) is that a lot of things don’t have a real home so they end up sitting on a counter or on a floor. Which clutters stuff up. 

The disadvantage to the added help is I have to deconstruct my sound booth, which is built in the play room (our guest bedroom) out of the guest beds and box springs. Though I haven’t done voiceover since the beginning of the pandemic since I’m focusing on sleep and it’s only doable when everyone (including neighbors and River barges) are asleep. 

Lol, it certainly was stressful at times. Especially when you really just need/want some peace and quiet and it is nearly impossible to get. But, you also never really had to worry about being bored. Personally, I felt like 8 was a LITTLE excessive, but I love all of my siblings and would not give any of them up.

I am sorry to hear you had to deconstruct your sound booth, I remember challenge from awhile back where you were really enjoying that as an activity. Hopefully it won't be too long before you can rebuild it and get back into it again.

...River barges?

Another week, another recent AMRAP push-up record! 33, and just a smidgeon away from 34! It’s quite heartening that I’m beyond my record for last year when I did so very many push-ups specifically training to get better at doing push-ups. 

Congrats!! Awesome progress.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

I still find it enjoyable in the moment. Mostly because I have social anxiety, and it takes care of that real fast, lol. And just helps with my anxiety in the moment in general, regardless of the situation. But, it is less a treatment and more a trade-off, my anxiety will likely be worse the next day. 

I enjoy low to moderate amounts sometimes. It can be fun in the right situations. (Not like I used to do it though, I used to start with a 750 of rum and that just isn’t healthy).

Lol, it certainly was stressful at times. Especially when you really just need/want some peace and quiet and it is nearly impossible to get. But, you also never really had to worry about being bored. Personally, I felt like 8 was a LITTLE excessive, but I love all of my siblings and would not give any of them up.

We did agree to 4. Admittedly, I don’t have a reasonable upper limit but I recognize I’m unreasonable and more importantly that I am not the one who gives birth. 

I am sorry to hear you had to deconstruct your sound booth, I remember challenge from awhile back where you were really enjoying that as an activity. Hopefully it won't be too long before you can rebuild it and get back into it again.

It’ll be ok. I haven’t been able to record for some time between work and my focus on getting sleep. 

...River barges?

Yes. They have big engines that make very low frequency noise, you can barely hear it but it’s always there and ruins the quality. Most people can’t detect it at all but they also keep me awake. 

I live less than a mile from the Mighty Mississippi. 

Congrats!! Awesome progress.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

I enjoy low to moderate amounts sometimes. It can be fun in the right situations. (Not like I used to do it though, I used to start with a 750 of rum and that just isn’t healthy).

I think I would die. I am no lightweight, but my tolerance never got that high. I find low to moderate is definitely optimal if I am going to be drinking at all, and wayyyyy better the next morning than heavier drinking, lol.

8 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

We did agree to 4. Admittedly, I don’t have a reasonable upper limit but I recognize I’m unreasonable and more importantly that I am not the one who gives birth. 

My husband and I agreed to zero, lol. I do think four is a good number though. As a kid I always kind of wished my parents had stopped at three or four, not because I don't like my younger siblings, but because it got to a point where my parents were having to work so much to afford so many kids and there were so many of us that we never really got to spend time with them anymore, and my sister and I ended doing a lot of the parenting of our younger siblings. 

12 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

Yes. They have big engines that make very low frequency noise, you can barely hear it but it’s always there and ruins the quality. Most people can’t detect it at all but they also keep me awake. 

I live less than a mile from the Mighty Mississippi. 

Aww, that reminds me of my childhood. Not the barges, but the river. When I was very young, my dad went to seminary in Missouri to get a counseling license. We lived their for two years, but would often travel back to IL to visit my grandparents. And then when we moved back to IL, we would occasionally drive back to MO to visit friends out there. I was so young, but I still remember passing the Gateway to the West (I don't know the arch's actual name, lol) in St. Louis, which I think is right by the Mississippi. Naturally we had to cross the river each time we went back and forth.

I think I would die. I am no lightweight, but my tolerance never got that high. I find low to moderate is definitely optimal if I am going to be drinking at all, and wayyyyy better the next morning than heavier drinking, lol.

It is not good for you. Strongly do not recommend. 

My husband and I agreed to zero, lol. I do think four is a good number though. As a kid I always kind of wished my parents had stopped at three or four, not because I don't like my younger siblings, but because it got to a point where my parents were having to work so much to afford so many kids and there were so many of us that we never really got to spend time with them anymore, and my sister and I ended doing a lot of the parenting of our younger siblings. 

Nobody should be forced or pressured into having kids. I’m glad you agree on it. 

I can see how that could become a problem, anytime there’s too much of an age gap as well. I know my mom felt like she patented her brothers more than her parents, as an older kid with such young siblings. 

Aww, that reminds me of my childhood. Not the barges, but the river. When I was very young, my dad went to seminary in Missouri to get a counseling license. We lived their for two years, but would often travel back to IL to visit my grandparents. And then when we moved back to IL, we would occasionally drive back to MO to visit friends out there. I was so young, but I still remember passing the Gateway to the West (I don't know the arch's actual name, lol) in St. Louis, which I think is right by the Mississippi. Naturally we had to cross the river each time we went back and forth.

I forget the official name these days. We usually just call it The Arch or The Gateway Arch. 

I was born in Southern Illinois. I didn’t realize you were from/lived in a close enough area to regularly pass through. 

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Nobody should be forced or pressured into having kids. I’m glad you agree on it. 

I can see how that could become a problem, anytime there’s too much of an age gap as well. I know my mom felt like she patented her brothers more than her parents, as an older kid with such young siblings. 

My husband and I were friends before we started dating, so we were able to determine that we were on the same page about kids even before we started a relationship. I apparently started telling my mom I did not want kids when I was around two years old. Which seems like a very strange age to make that kind of decision, but despite decades of being told "you will change your mind" I still have not changed my position on that. When I was around 15 or 16, I decided I would not get into a serious relationship with a guy who wanted to be a father. I did not want it to be an argument or an issue in the relationship. I did not want to be pressured into having kids, and I did not want to keep someone from having kids if that was something that they wanted.

I don't have anything against kids, and I am certainly not against people having kids. I am a big supporter of making sure children have good education, safe environments, and room to be creative and grow. When my friends have kids, I am happy for them. I have just never had an interest in raising some of my own.

8 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

I forget the official name these days. We usually just call it The Arch or The Gateway Arch. 

I was born in Southern Illinois. I didn’t realize you were from/lived in a close enough area to regularly pass through. 

The Gateway Arch sounds about right. I was born while my mom was completing her masters at the University of IL, and aside from the two years I lived in MO, I lived in various locations across IL until I was 15, and most of my family still lives in IL, so I visit somewhat frequently. I would not say that I regularly passed through St. Louis except for those two years as a young child, mostly because we didn't really have much reason to go out west. I think my last time I saw the Arch, it was maybe ten years ago? My family went to St. Louis for this conference my parents were interested in. And the city got hit by a blizzard when we were trying to leave, which was wild, because an online friend of mine who lived right next to St. Louis was always lamenting about it never really snowing. We ended up having to pull off the road to find a hotel and stay an extra night because the blizzard was so bad. The next morning, when we got back on the road, I have never seen so many accidents and cars in a ditch in my life.