Wow, new challenge already...sorry haven't had any time to breathe.

I will have a challenge, and it will have some goals. I know what two of them are so far:

1. Pull-up challenge! [Jan 1 - Feb 14]. This is on the heels of a push-up challenge I did with family and friends from Thanksgiving to Christmas. The idea is you do as much as you can at the start, train hard and then test again at the end. I'm nowhere near to being able to do pull-ups, am not strong enough for negatives, and haven't even figured out a good band set-up for doing assisted pull-ups yet. So I'm using the bent arm hang as my test (which I did early because my friend was able to time me). I started at "almost 12 seconds". Hoping by Valentine's Day I can do 30 seconds and am also able to do some sets of band-assisted pull-ups (not necessarily all on the same day). The plan is to practice every other day, unless I'm still too sore from the previous workout.

2. Winter Warrior! Run outside at least 3 miles every day in January. (Walking or snowshoe-ing count, miles don't have to be continuous).

I'm doing a BIG job for work right now, not difficult but tedious and very time-consuming. I'll probably be in-and-out a bit this challenge and not able to be present as much as usual. I'll do my best.

• Like 11
  • That's Metal 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

I hope the BIG job isn't too boring.

• Thanks 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

8 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I hope the BIG job isn't too boring.

Parts of it are mind-numbing, but it's really important. It involves reviewing and evaluating materials that people put a lot of effort into, and the decisions I help to make have big impacts on those people. I get  bored and tired, but I try to treat it with the respect it deserves.

• Like 2

Oct/Nov 2016

Hey there fellow Scout leader! 

No tags? Gotta get in on that tag action so folks know what's up

Winter Running Warrior !
winter-running.gif

• Like 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 
Current Challenge : # 38 Strickland5 respawns

7 minutes ago, Strickland5 said:

Hey there fellow Scout leader! 

No tags? Gotta get in on that tag action so folks know what's up

Winter Running Warrior !
winter-running.gif

Thanks for catching that Capitan!

...I had added tags, but forgot to press "Save" before leaving the page. Hate it when that happens!

Love the gif...more later.

Oct/Nov 2016

Following for the winter running inspiration!

• Like 1

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

I mean, the running is cool and all, but I'm here for the pullups. ;)

• Like 3

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37 

On 12/29/2020 at 4:00 PM, KB Girl said:

Every day? that's amazing! 

10 hours ago, Mistr said:

I admire you going running in winter. Just bundling up for a walk around the block makes me hesitate to go out. :)

Some of you already know this, but the January "Winter Warrior" challenge is something I've done for several years (basically whenever I don't have travel conflicts...which isn't a problem this year). The first year, I was skeptical of the whole idea...I didn't generally run every day and I didn't run outside much in the dead of winter, but it totally changed the way I ran.

I learned that I usually can run outside if I bundle up. I learned that if I really wanted to get my run in, the morning was the way to go...less chance of getting de-railed. And most interestingly, I learned how powerful it can be to commit to something like a streak. It shut off a lot of mental chatter in my head about whether to run or not. The decision was already made. No negotiating needed, just put on your shoes and go. And I learned that just getting out there for half an hour or so isn't that big a deal (though I did have one epic snowshoe hike and one kind of stupid jog around a very icy park over the years).

48 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

I mean, the running is cool and all, but I'm here for the pullups. ;)

Yes!!

I think I already said this, but the pushup challenge we did last month was honestly awesome. Not because the push-ups themselves are any big deal but because it's helped me feel more connected with the people doing it. My BFF and I have roped our (many states away) families into it, which is kind of neat.

Today was good. Actually a surprisingly busy pandemic day. I did my "Final Mile" on the track....actually two of them. Some people were running late so a friend and I went ahead and did our hard miles. Then when others showed up, my BFF wanted to give it a try (she isn't able to run much anymore but wanted to do a mile), so I ran another one with her. It was  a perfect way to end my running year. After that I had my zoom Spanish class. And after that I watched the virtual talent show put on by our community. It was really sweet ( @Sloth the Enduring I mean that in a "Stars Hollow" way).

• Like 4

Oct/Nov 2016

Serious question: how do you run in the winter without feeling like your lungs are shredding themselves?

• Like 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37 

1 hour ago, juliebarkley said:

Serious question: how do you run in the winter without feeling like your lungs are shredding themselves?

It's been a long time since I was masochistic enough to be a distance runner, but as I recall, a cloth covering over, or even just really near, the mouth helped a lot. You just want slightly warmer air, a wind block or scarf is pretty good. The nose was fine, longer path to warm up before the lungs. Like, your nose would feel it, but it was the mouth that really sent the ice crystals ripping into the lung tissue.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

5 hours ago, Xena said:

I learned that I usually can run outside if I bundle up. I learned that if I really wanted to get my run in, the morning was the way to go...less chance of getting de-railed. And most interestingly, I learned how powerful it can be to commit to something like a streak. It shut off a lot of mental chatter in my head about whether to run or not. The decision was already made. No negotiating needed, just put on your shoes and go. And I learned that just getting out there for half an hour or so isn't that big a deal (though I did have one epic snowshoe hike and one kind of stupid jog around a very icy park over the years).

that does sound very attractive :) 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl fixes the batcaves

my instagram - my gym's instagram

I'm here for whiskey Wednesday! :D

Also for pushing on while on a BIG job work and for Xena awesomeness.

You're human, everything is fine. Let go of any additional pressure (forum changes anybody?) and just push on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

On 12/30/2020 at 11:02 PM, juliebarkley said:

Sara had a good suggestion...that does help a lot. On cold days, I tend to run in the woods, which seems warmer. Running hard on a cold day is rough though (leads to "track hack").

On 1/1/2021 at 4:20 PM, Jean said:

I'm here for whiskey Wednesday! :D

Also for pushing on while on a BIG job work and for Xena awesomeness.

You're human, everything is fine. Let go of any additional pressure (forum changes anybody?) and just push on.

I'm glad whiskey Wednesday has another fan 🙂

Thanks for your nice comment. I feel completely sick of staring at a screen right now, so just a quick update:

First two days of running streak going well. Yesterday (New Year's) was really nice. I ran our town's 5 mile course. In normal times, there is an informal race there every Friday starting at 5:30 (though the official rules have always been that you can start at any time during the day). During the pandemic, people have definitely started at all different times. It was really nice that I happened to see a few other running buddies on the course.

Pull-up challenge going fine too (the only real goal is to keep practicing, and I did that).

For any tarot fans:

Spoiler

During yoga today, our teacher randomly assigned us each a virtue to reflect on as we are thinking of the coming year. I got "constancy." Then I decided to do a tarot spread for the year. I got: The Empress, The Knight of Pentacles, The Seven of Wands. I would post a picture, but I'm lazy 🙂

I think the Knight of Pentacles is very similar to the "Constancy" virtue I was assigned. And I was thinking that the bounty/fertility/abundance/beauty of the empress is balanced by the  battle going on with the seven of wands. I think of those two cards particularly in the context of the struggle with the pandemic and everything that goes along with it. I think the message to me (at least on the surface level) is basically to stay the course. Keep doing what I'm doing, keep working on improving and surviving and living my best life.

• Like 4

Oct/Nov 2016

10 miles today, mostly on trails. Happy with it because it's what I planned to do. I crashed out hard after that and had a lovely nap.

Still have to do my pull-up practice for today.

I've decided to keep my challenge to two goals this time around. I've honestly been having some trouble adapting to the challenge format for the past year or so (not complaining just describing my own experience). I don't feel like I get enough time between challenges to reflect. With the next challenge going up immediately after the last, it feels like a hamster wheel. I'll take some time and maybe try something more inspired next time around. 

• Like 5

Oct/Nov 2016

On 1/2/2021 at 7:58 PM, Xena said:

I'm glad whiskey Wednesday has another fan 🙂

Ok, can someone explain whiskey Wednesday to me? Is it just drinking whiskey on a Wednesday? Because I'm very on board with this  idea.

And way to go on the weekend runs!

• Like 2

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

18 hours ago, Xena said:

I've decided to keep my challenge to two goals this time around. I've honestly been having some trouble adapting to the challenge format for the past year or so (not complaining just describing my own experience). I don't feel like I get enough time between challenges to reflect. With the next challenge going up immediately after the last, it feels like a hamster wheel. I'll take some time and maybe try something more inspired next time around. 

One relaxed and then one more ambitious might be a good rhythm. 

• Like 3

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl fixes the batcaves

my instagram - my gym's instagram

19 hours ago, Xena said:

I don't feel like I get enough time between challenges to reflect.

It's not said you can't ramp up your goals, how about making week 1 (or week 0) meditation/gratitude week in which you set your goals for the other weeks of the challenge? Dualclassing rather than multiclassing, so starting as a druid and then turning into a scout instead of leveling both simultaneously? (Edit: not saying you should multiclass into a druid, of course, that was just to put some imagery on the proverbial unsollicited advice cake.)

Also, yay for healthy fatigue! Go crush those miles and eat that pullups bar!

• Like 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

On 1/3/2021 at 11:56 PM, theophilus said:

Ok, can someone explain whiskey Wednesday to me? Is it just drinking whiskey on a Wednesday? Because I'm very on board with this  idea.

Yep. That's my interpretation of it. I just have a little bit (carefully measured out), but it still feels very rebellious somehow.

On 1/4/2021 at 1:14 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

season 4 netflix GIF by Gilmore Girls

Is this the right show?  Am I following yet?  New challenges are so confusing.  

YES!

Gilmore Girls: 10 Things Fans Forgot About Stars Hollow

On 1/4/2021 at 3:13 PM, Jean said:

It's not said you can't ramp up your goals, how about making week 1 (or week 0) meditation/gratitude week in which you set your goals for the other weeks of the challenge? Dualclassing rather than multiclassing, so starting as a druid and then turning into a scout instead of leveling both simultaneously? (Edit: not saying you should multiclass into a druid, of course, that was just to put some imagery on the proverbial unsollicited advice cake.)

This is a great idea! I've made a couple other changes that I think will also help.

Today...oh wow...why don't I ever learn my lesson?!! Every time I skip my morning run, the day gets weird. Today I was supposed to do 7 miles with 8x400 mixed in. It's a longer workout, and I wouldn't have time to shift it to tomorrow.  I didn't feel like doing it this morning, so I promised I would go at 3 pm before it got dark. Then at 3 I ended up with a work call. Then 3:30 didn't feel like doing it. Then 4:30 as it's getting dark, I saw that it was drizzling. I debated either breaking the streak already or doing the minimum 3 miles (and messing up my training plan). Somehow I got my a** out there and did the workout on the bikepath, mostly in the dark. The intervals kind of sucked because I had to keep looking at my watch to see how far I had gone, but I did the darned thing. Next time just do your stupid run in the morning like you are supposed to!!!!!

• Like 4

Oct/Nov 2016

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines