Yesterday was a day.  [don't worry I won't dwell or get too dark]

The interesting part was I didn't know what was going on for most of the day. I went out for a run after work and just before my Spanish class. I caught a bit of the news and was kind of shell-shocked. Decided I would want to talk about it with my teacher but (literally) didn't have the words, so I looked up things like "curfew" and "rioters" ahead of time. It was really interesting to get her perspective of the situation (she's in Guatemala).

I was glad it was Whiskey Wednesday (but didn't have more that my usual 2 oz).

Today I did my normal recovery run (3.5 miles), quick strength and pull-up work. Have built up to reps of 15s bent-arm hangs with a light band.

• Like 4

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Uh, I love the idea of whiskey wednesday! Also here to be amazed by your incredible work ethic and discipline with the regular running commitments. 

• Like 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

On 1/7/2021 at 8:58 PM, Xena said:

Yesterday was a day.  [don't worry I won't dwell or get too dark]

The interesting part was I didn't know what was going on for most of the day. I went out for a run after work and just before my Spanish class. I caught a bit of the news and was kind of shell-shocked. Decided I would want to talk about it with my teacher but (literally) didn't have the words, so I looked up things like "curfew" and "rioters" ahead of time. It was really interesting to get her perspective of the situation (she's in Guatemala).

I was glad it was Whiskey Wednesday (but didn't have more that my usual 2 oz).

Today I did my normal recovery run (3.5 miles), quick strength and pull-up work. Have built up to reps of 15s bent-arm hangs with a light band.

Great job, way to stay above the fray. 

• Like 1

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

The past few days have been rolling by just fine. I've been keeping up with all my routines. A few tidbits

Sunday's (yesterday) long run really kicked my butt. Got in 14 miles, mostly on trail, but I was WIPED OUT the rest of the day. I woke up today feeling like I did indeed do a long run the day before. I went ahead and did my normal Monday strength workout, but that might have been a mistake. I felt like my body needed an easier day. Until my marathon (~10 weeks), I'm going to move my first strength workout of the week to Tuesday. I'll keep Monday for mobility stuff and an easy run.

I had ordered a bunch of Girl Scout cookies from my niece and absolutely can't be trusted to ration them out slowly to myself. I started with 8 boxes and have so far given 6 away. It was fun to do something nice for various people.

Work has been...a lot. I'm going to take at least one full day off this weekend.

• Like 4

Oct/Nov 2016

Good decision offloading the cookies! And what do you have planned for your non-working weekend? I vote something super fun

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Good for you on getting out there and running even when you don't feel like it.

I hear you on not being able to ration Girl Scout cookies. You supported your niece and you are doing nice things for other people. Double win!

Any chance you can get a full two-day weekend or some real time off when the current project is done?

• Like 1

Level 56  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

3 hours ago, Mistr said:

Any chance you can get a full two-day weekend or some real time off when the current project is done?

Yeah. It's just a busy time of year. I have a serious deadline on Jan 27, but will take some time off after that. No idea what I'll do (that is the challenge these days), but just time away from worrying about work will be a good thing.

So actually I got some interesting time away from work today. It's kind of a long story...

I was having a problem with my pipes (sounded like water running in the walls, I think air in the pipes). I called the plumber several weeks ago, left a message but didn't follow up to schedule anything.

Today (semi-unrelated) a water line broke in town or something, so our water service was disrupted for a while...brown water, air in pipes etc. That got fixed.

I think the due to the brown water etc, some people in my condo development must have called the plumber. They magically showed up at my door, I guess by mistake.

I said....well no, I didn't exactly call you...well I sort of did, but not really...but I do have this problem with air in my pipes and since you are here, my bathroom sink is draining really slowly. So they sorted out my various problems. I felt super lucky.

Then around 4 pm, I started hearing a dripping. I looked in the closet where the boiler is, and saw a faucet dripping. I couldn't shut it off. It was a tight space to wedge anything under it. Eventually I got a little container under it and called the plumber. Got the answering machine.

~5 min later a pipe starts GUSHING in the closet. It was pandemonium. Hard to get a container under it, hot water from the boiler that had me scared, unclear how to turn it off, a sketchy situation with a relief valve that seemed partly broken.

Eventually got a handyman to help me turn off the water.  Got it all cleaned up. Got the plumber out here who said the boiler needs to be drained tomorrow morning (so no hot water or heat tonight). At that point, I was just happy not to have a flood or be scalded by some kind boiler explosion.

Sitting down now in my fluffy warm bathrobe (impulse purchase a month ago) and feeling glad I bought that carpet shampooer (because it sucked up the floodwater...the most random impulse purchase I ever  made...got up in the middle of the night after my first ultra marathon, couldn't sleep, ended up watching an infomercial and buying that thing).

As I was dumping bucket after bucket of water, I was thinking, I guess this is why I exercise.

• Like 3
  • Wow 5

Oct/Nov 2016

Sorry you had to deal with all that, I'm glad you had the carpet shampooer.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Wow. Sorry you had that happen! And hoping you’ll get heat and hot water back ASAP. 

• Like 1

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

Oh wow what a catastrophe! Hopefully someone comes and sorts you soon because no heating and no hot water is horrible at the best of times let alone in the middle of winter! 

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

21 hours ago, Xena said:

At that point, I was just happy not to have a flood or be scalded by some kind boiler explosion.

Hm yea, just last week friends of ours had their boiler melt. Not pretty...

Three x hooray for fitness. Hope you get sorted for warmth soon!

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

On 1/12/2021 at 6:39 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sorry you had to deal with all that, I'm glad you had the carpet shampooer.

On 1/12/2021 at 6:52 PM, Defining said:

Can I request a 'hugs' reaction emoji?! That sounds like a lot, but also yay for random USEFUL impulse purchases. :D

22 hours ago, theophilus said:

Wow. Sorry you had that happen! And hoping you’ll get heat and hot water back ASAP. 

17 hours ago, deftona said:

Oh wow what a catastrophe! Hopefully someone comes and sorts you soon because no heating and no hot water is horrible at the best of times let alone in the middle of winter! 

5 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Hm yea, just last week friends of ours had their boiler melt. Not pretty...

Three x hooray for fitness. Hope you get sorted for warmth soon!

Thank you all so much! After the crisis of the gushing steaming water yesterday, I had a pretty chill perspective.

No heat tonight, no problem....I have warm clothes, blankets and a very fluffy cat

No hot water, no problem...I have electricity, so I can still have coffee etc

No water at all [not actually the case, but even if it were]...I have a couple of jugs

No plumbing working [again not actually the case]...I have a wooded back yard and it will be dark at night

There was more plumbing drama today, but nowhere near the same scale. They came this morning (my third set of plumbers) drained the overpressurized tank, and also commented that there was a lot of air in the pipes (which was the whole reason I called the plumber in the first place). They "fixed" the problems and left soon after.

A few minutes later, I noticed that the whole system had shut down and there was a vaguely electrical smell. I tried to restart the system (to automatically light the pilot), but it didn't work. Called plumbers again....

They show up (my fourth set of plumbers) and figured out that the circuit had tripped because water had gotten into the circulator (whatever that is) during the whole flooding thing. They also said her was a lot of air in the pipes that needed to be drained. They "fixed" the various problems and left....

A few minutes later, I noticed it was making a weird set of vibrating sounds every 5-10 seconds and didn't seem to be heating properly. Called the plumbers again...

They showed up (my FIFTH SET of different plumbers) and said it was because there was a lot of air in the pipes (REALLY? You don't say?). This time they seem to have actually drained the air. Heater is running quietly with no dripping or gushing water. Knock wood.

I went for a lovely little run after all that finally got fixed. It made me feel a lot better. Hopefully gonna have a really nice hot shower now.

I think 2 good things have come from this...

1. I got a sort of adrenaline rush dealing with the scary gushing steaming water. No, I didn't enjoy that, but I think our bodies are conditioned to need that kind of fight-or-flight thing every now and then. It's been pretty infrequent for me over this year of perpetual blursday.

2.  I had my Spanish class tonight, so I again took the opportunity to learn useful words like "valve" "pilot light" and "pipes"

• Like 3

Oct/Nov 2016

p.s. Something not awesome about this: I've now had 10 people in my house. Probably half of them wearing proper masks, a quarter wearing bandannas, and the others not wearing masks at least some of the time.  I'll probably be fine, but it's a lottery. I'm not fully quarantining myself (will still run outside and go to the grocery store every 10-15 days), but I'm taking myself out of my friend's covid bubble for 2 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Oct/Nov 2016

Sorry for all the plumbing woes. When our hot water heater died, it overflowed into our downstairs. But then it also did start smoking.spun around in circles, exclaiming,"I don't know what to do!" Thankfully, my son is much calmer, and he went and turned off the circuit breaker, (maybe I'm not the one you want around in an emergency😉)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

My goodness, that was a tragi-comedy of revolving plumbers. Too bad you had to deal with all of that. I hope it is well and truly fixed now.

I like your positive attitude on dealing with the crisis. Clearly your late-night brain anticipated this week. ;)

I know what you mean about the chances of being exposed to so many people. Dumbledore asked me about having a friend and her boyfriend over to play his new Mansions of Madness expansion set. Our friend is good about wearing a mask, but her boyfriend works in construction and I have my doubts about his level of compliance. Dumbledore agreed that maybe there would be too much risk. It sucks, but we can deal for a few more months.

• Like 1

Level 56  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

I had a surprisingly nice evening. Normally (pre-covid) there is a 5-mile run in town every Friday at 5:30. Since covid, people just run whenever they want during the day, but many (by which I mean fewer than 10 people) tend to do it late afternoon before sunset. Today I ran it around the same time as some others, and at the end we hung out in the parking lot for a bit and had a beer. It felt sort of like old times.

• Like 5

Oct/Nov 2016

2 hours ago, Xena said:

I had a surprisingly nice evening. Normally (pre-covid) there is a 5-mile run in town every Friday at 5:30. Since covid, people just run whenever they want during the day, but many (by which I mean fewer than 10 people) tend to do it late afternoon before sunset. Today I ran it around the same time as some others, and at the end we hung out in the parking lot for a bit and had a beer. It felt sort of like old times.

This is the best. 

Yesterday I made some good progress on pull-ups. I'm finally strong enough to do several negatives, so a did some...and woke up feeling it today (in a good way).  It sounds weird, but I had to get strong enough in order to do a hard workout.

Today started with a really solid long run (16 miles). I get nervous before long runs, but this one went smoothly. I've gotten all my planned runs this week (41 miles total), and have kept up my "winter warrior" streak.

The second part of the day was mostly just work. I have a big deadline in about 10 days and had to dig into it hard pretty much immediately after my run. I showered and then decided I wanted to wear pajama pants and a bathrobe. So I did, actually changing BACK into that after running. And I got a ton done. It was one of those days where I was completely immersed in the work and enjoying it. I amused myself by imagining that I was like Harry Dresden wearing his bathrobe while mixing up potions in his basement lab.

That's all I've got for today 🙂

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

Oct/Nov 2016

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines