Wow, it's been a minute.

Work stuff: around the holidays, I had a huge load of work that wasn't hard, but took a lot of time. The past couple weeks I've had a big deadline on a big project that was intellectually and logistically challenging. I've pretty much finished the crunch on both those things, so starting today, things are "normal." It's been an interesting week or more...I've been so deep in it that I really have been living in my bathrobe and pajamas. I get up, put on the bathrobe, get to work. work work work. Change into running clothes and run. Shower (usually...at some point in the day). Change back into pajamas and bathrobe. Work some more. I've never done this whole bathrobe things, but it was kind of fun. It reminded by of Lazlo from Real Genius (above) and also of Harry Dresden mixing up spells in his basement. I was just hanging out on my couch working my science magic.

Fitness stuff: I'm still doing the pull-up challenge, and still doing my Winter Warrior streak. But otherwise, when I wasn't running I spent most of last week on the couch. WAY too sedentary. My butt even feels tired from sitting.  I've been following a marathon training plan and was signed up for a race in late March. I found out this week that it was cancelled ("postponed" until October). I knew there was a good chance of cancellation, and I don't blame them AT ALL, but I was disappointed...the race training was giving me structure and something to look forward to. I was supposed to run an 18-miler this weekend, but the windchill was about 14F and....well F--- that! No race, no need to struggle through that kind of crap. I scaled it to 11 miles and felt kind of tired doing it.

So as I was wallowing in my bathrobe-wearing/couch-sitting degeneracy, I knew I would need to pull myself together after the project was done. So that starts now. No more pajamas during the day. Clean up the house. Eat real meals. Get back into the land of the living. 

I was texting with a runner friend who somehow fell and broke her arm on the trail this weekend (she's mostly ok). I mentioned the race that was cancelled, and she really encouraged me to find another one. She reminded me that you can't take for granted being fit and able to run...gotta do it while you can. So (as part of the pulling myself together plan), I found a race about 8 hrs away in early April and signed up. It's a smaller race and I think it has a decent chance of going ahead (they have a reasonable covid-plan). I know it might also get cancelled (and I might decide it's not safe for me to run it), but having it on my calendar will help me keep focuses for a few more weeks.

Guess that's it. I've been away for a solid ~10 days or so...It will take me a little while to catch up 🙂

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Welcome back to the land of the living! Bummer about the race.Glad you found another race to  run.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

7 hours ago, Xena said:

Wow, it's been a minute.

Work stuff: around the holidays, I had a huge load of work that wasn't hard, but took a lot of time. The past couple weeks I've had a big deadline on a big project that was intellectually and logistically challenging. I've pretty much finished the crunch on both those things, so starting today, things are "normal." It's been an interesting week or more...I've been so deep in it that I really have been living in my bathrobe and pajamas. I get up, put on the bathrobe, get to work. work work work. Change into running clothes and run. Shower (usually...at some point in the day). Change back into pajamas and bathrobe. Work some more. I've never done this whole bathrobe things, but it was kind of fun. It reminded by of Lazlo from Real Genius (above) and also of Harry Dresden mixing up spells in his basement. I was just hanging out on my couch working my science magic.

Wow, it sounds like you lived through an actual montage for the last few weeks! What project were you working on, if I can ask? 

It's so inspiring how you always get the damn things done with your running training and other bits, regardless of what else you've got going on and I want you to know I want to be you when I grow up. 

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

10 hours ago, Xena said:

I was supposed to run an 18-miler this weekend, but the windchill was about 14F and....well F--- that! No race, no need to struggle through that kind of crap. I scaled it to 11 miles and felt kind of tired doing it.

That's still positively heroic!

• Like 1

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

On 1/25/2021 at 8:01 PM, Xena said:

I was supposed to run an 18-miler this weekend, but the windchill was about 14F and....well F--- that! No race, no need to struggle through that kind of crap. I scaled it to 11 miles and felt kind of tired doing it.

11 miles in 14F windchill?  Ah-mazing.  Did you take water, and if so, did it freeze?  Living vicariously with the astonishing long run stories here. 

I dressed in actual adult clothes today (I mean 2020's work from home adult clothes), did a load of laundry and got to the grocery store. Starting to feel like a normal person again.

I'm up to 6 pull-up negatives (3+2+1) and have been improving a bit each time.

Today was 7 easy miles in what started out as fluffy snowflakes on my eyelashes and ended up as a not-so-pleasant 'wintery mix' -- the news had said the snow would start about 3 hours later than it actually did. No biggie though.

18 hours ago, deftona said:

Wow, it sounds like you lived through an actual montage for the last few weeks! What project were you working on, if I can ask?

I hadn't thought of it that way, but I think you are exactly right. I don't write specifics about work on here, but this project was a very large and complex proposal involving a lot of different people.

15 hours ago, theophilus said:

That's still positively heroic!

Awww thanks! It seems more impressive in retrospect, but I kind of felt like a failure at the time.

17 minutes ago, Jules Andromeda said:

11 miles in 14F windchill?  Ah-mazing.  Did you take water, and if so, did it freeze?  Living vicariously with the astonishing long run stories here. 

Thanks! I didn't bring water (I would have if I was going any farther) because I couldn't face the thought of drinking icy water. But on the second half of the run, the temperature seemed to have dropped. My eyes were tearing up, and it felt like the tears were freezing (I think it was just evaporating because it was so dry). It was actually a pretty manageable temperature (not that far below freezing actual thermometer temp and I have good gear), just a little unpleasant.

• Like 2

Oct/Nov 2016

I ghosted for a while there. I had an incredibly busy January. The 10-day pajama-and-bathrobe montage scene was the height of it, and I just couldn't face the thought of any more screen time. I've been working a ton. That's settled down.

I'm also feeling a little adrift regarding goals. I think that's ok, and I'm letting myself drift a little. I finished the January Winter Warrior Challenge (Run outside every day in January) and ended up with 176.3 miles in January. That's my highest monthly total in 2 years. That's great, but the downside is that I got a little burned out. It didn't help that a marathon I had signed up for got cancelled. This week was just a big week of "nope" for me. I'm doing a long(ish) run tomorrow with a friend before the snow starts coming down too hard. That should help me turn a page, and I'll be able to re-set next week.

I barely ran this week. In addition, just one short strength session and one yoga class. It was partly laziness, partly lack of spirit, but also a little bit of an experiment. I wanted to see if my body would feel stronger after a little down time. Guess what, it absolutely did NOT. Everything that was a little achy before is at least as achy now, and honestly probably worse. So I have no real excused. Gonna re-group and get back to it.

Challenge wrap-up in brief

1. Winter warrior B+:   Yeah, technically totally rocked it, but then degenerated into a slump.

2. Pull-ups B-: Improved steadily but then yeah, had that weird slump-y week.

Next challenge preview: Is it weird that I've figured out what I want for a reward, but haven't identified any actual goals yet??

• Like 4

Oct/Nov 2016

You completely killed January, it's amazing to get your highest monthly amount of miles on a month where you were so busy, you're the montage master! B+ sounds like a bit of a stingy grading for the Winter Warrior because you definitely smashed that part? Looking forward to seeing what the next challenge brings !

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Wow, that's an impressive amount of miles ran! I would have guessed that your body would have felt better after this week's rest. 

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Congratulations on finishing two big projects and your Winter Warrior challenge.

My sympathy on the disappointment of your March race being postponed. I hope the April one goes off as scheduled.

I hear you on being sick of screen time. I don't want to turn on the computer on the weekends, even to do fun things. I expect you need some mental down time after all that effort.

• Like 1

Level 58  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines