KB Girl prepares for the new year

KB Girl

Ok so I'm not ready for the new year yet.. it's not that I don't desperately want 2020 to be over- it's just that I've yet to process everything that has happened and I haven't even begun to recover! How am I supposed to get all excited for big goals?! It's not happening. So, I'm going to give it some time and get all excited for the new year on February 12th. :)

xyear-of-the-ox.jpg.pagespeed.ic.fJWeV4X

REST & RECOVER

- do some journaling/talking to deal with all the grief from 2020

- bestow extra love on the cranky left hip and wrist

- go outside, seriously- go outside

PREPARE

- fix up the bases of operation, i.e. big declutter/cleanup both at home and in the gym

- revive daily bujo practice to act as my brain backup so I don't have to think things 3million times

- start sport specific training just in case we can have competitions in 2021

• Like 19

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl fixes the batcaves

my instagram - my gym's instagram

I applaud your plan of pushing back the new year.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Love this idea. I'm  just not feeling ready to make any big goals this year.  Good idea to just go for the Chinese New Year. Plus then you can celebrate with dragons and moon cakes.

• Like 2

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

19 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Same. In fact, when I finally got Christmas up, it was such a relief that I've decided it's Christmas as long as I feel like. I haven't even opened the presents yet, so apparently it's still Christmas eve. And the tree is staying as long as I can reasonably claim it's winter. It's like... a really just Narnia, right? It's been winter sooooo looking, that I just deserve a similar amount of Christmas, now that it's arrived.

29 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Here for this!!! And I feel you - I want 2020 to be over, but I feel like I need a monthlong nap before diving into new stuff.

Holy shit, yes. I mean, I can't - though I could, but I can't - but... yes.

• Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

48 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Here for this!!! And I feel you - I want 2020 to be over, but I feel like I need a monthlong nap before diving into new stuff.

Oh yes, a monthlong nap sounds like just the thing! But I can hardly get my kids to sleep for a night, not a chance they’ll go for the month idea. 

41 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

thank you! I thought it was quite smart myself. 

39 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Love this idea. I'm  just not feeling ready to make any big goals this year.  Good idea to just go for the Chinese New Year. Plus then you can celebrate with dragons and moon cakes.

you can celebrate it with me? :) 

35 minutes ago, PaulG said:

Since it’s the Year of the Ox, I recommend celebrating the new year with STEAK.

Yes.. absolutely.. but... I think I actually like slow cooked cuts better? Brisket all the way! 

25 minutes ago, MezzotheLefty said:

I think it's fantastic that you recognize your need to take some time to rest, recover, and prepare and, more importantly, that you are giving it to yourself. 

Following along. ☺️

thank you :) I didn’t want to miss out on a challenge (my mental health would not benefit) but I also really didn’t want to jump in on the new year goals. 

14 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Same. In fact, when I finally got Christmas up, it was such a relief that I've decided it's Christmas as long as I feel like. I haven't even opened the presents yet, so apparently it's still Christmas eve. And the tree is staying as long as I can reasonably claim it's winter. It's like... a really just Narnia, right? It's been winter sooooo looking, that I just deserve a similar amount of Christmas, now that it's arrived.

Yes! Completely agree with this. In fact, I think I’ll just leave all the pretty lights up until New Years. Chinese version that is. 

• Like 4

Ooooh monthlong naps sound pretty nice don't they...

Following along with your rebellious approach to the new year!

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

Yes.. absolutely.. but... I think I actually like slow cooked cuts better? Brisket all the way! 

HOW slow?

20190425-Smoked-Brisket_RE_HE_M?w=1200&s

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 minute ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

HOW slow?

20190425-Smoked-Brisket_RE_HE_M?w=1200&s

Delicious. But I do miss a nice ultra rare steak.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I've seen smoke rings that thick before, the brisket was glorious.

18 minutes ago, PaulG said:

hungry steak GIF

That crust is gorgeous, and I would eat the heck out of it. But I guarantee it's not rare on the inside, let alone ultra rare. I really wish I could get a crust like that on a steak where the inside has been passed over a candle flame a few times.

steak GIF

This? Very nice, but overcooked.

steak madagascar GIF

Closer.

200.gif

Closer...

steak GIF

Almost...

steak GIF

Nearly...

Meat Steak GIF by Beef. It's What's For Dinner.

Crap, it's way overcooked!

• Like 4

I feel that if one explains the concept of a grill to a bovine that is sufficient cook time.

• Like 2

Following along! Feeling much in the same boat as you. 2020 is a lot to process.

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

That crust is gorgeous, and I would eat the heck out of it. But I guarantee it's not rare on the inside, let alone ultra rare. I really wish I could get a crust like that on a steak where the inside has been passed over a candle flame a few times.

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I feel that if one explains the concept of a grill to a bovine that is sufficient cook time.

You both make an excellent point. I used to be in the super-rare camp, and eventually I was convinced to try real medium-rare (rather than when you order medium-rare and the restaurant gives you medium), where if you pull everything off right you CAN get a crust like that. Now I’m in camp medium-rare + crust, and rare beef feels kinda squidgy to me. But I will always respect my fellow rare-campers, because I know y’all love the unadulterated flavor of MEAT.

dinner cooking GIF by Son of Zorn

• Like 3

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

2 hours ago, PaulG said:

I used to be in the super-rare camp, and eventually I was convinced to try real medium-rare (rather than when you order medium-rare and the restaurant gives you medium), where if you pull everything off right you CAN get a crust like that.

I don't dislike medium-rare or rare. But I don't think I can totally give up bleu. My preferred answer to this, of course, is two steaks.

3 minutes ago, Waanie said:

You guys! You make me regret becoming a vegetarian with all that talk about delicious steak and brisket :lol:.

God, I'm so glad I'm low carb for health reasons. I mean, I love my vegetables, and I have a fair few vegetarian meals in rotation, but I'm not giving up meat. :)

• Like 3

Ahh well if you want to eat a steak rare then you’d better get really really good quality, that’s just not an option for me (it’d be like a third of my weeks grocery budget) so another reason to go for the tougher cuts. 

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

this one cracked me up 

4 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Following along! Feeling much in the same boat as you. 2020 is a lot to process.

We both lost a grandparent right? Hugs. 

11 minutes ago, Waanie said:

You guys! You make me regret becoming a vegetarian with all that talk about delicious steak and brisket :lol:.

Good, it’s a bad idea anyway ;) 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Ok so I'm not ready for the new year yet.. it's not that I don't desperately want 2020 to be over- it's just that I've yet to process everything that has happened and I haven't even begun to recover! How am I supposed to get all excited for big goals?! It's not happening. So, I'm going to give it some time and get all excited for the new year on February 12th. :)

REST & RECOVER

- do some journaling/talking to deal with all the grief from 2020

- bestow extra love on the cranky left hip and wrist

- go outside, seriously- go outside

Alrighttt. I hope some seriously deep peace and rejuvenation come your way.

Also, I am loving these beautiful oxen gifs. Am I the only one who likes to see zero red on my steaks? Anything from well done to medium is fine for me. But the best kinds of oxen are slow cooked. Brown all the way through, a dark jus, splintering into tender shards at a little pressure from your fork. Or spoon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Tuesday i had breakfast with my two girls while Jaap slept in a bit. Then I went to the gym and first did my own training;

- 2x14kg jerk sets of 3:00 (29 reps), 2:00 (22) and 1:00 (15) 

- 12kg snatch set of 4:00 (35/35)

Then did some sorely needed hip maintenance work (lying in bed all day with covid really set me back with that one) and taught two online classes (blah). 

Got home in time to put the baby to sleep and then had two coaching calls while Jaap and Emma (my 4yo) went to the woods. 

Then hung out on the forums while procrastinating administrative work, had pulled pork for dinner in celebration of hogswatch, put the kids in bed while Jaap was at work, made myself some hot chocolate and baked some leftover frozen cookie dough (noped out on the effort required to cook bacon) and then hung out here some more until it was bed time. 

🤷‍♀️

• Like 9

Following! (probably more lurking than following... )

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

13 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I'm so with you on this! Though more realistically I'll be aiming for Persian new year. :P 

• Haha 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines