Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

The mask looks amazing!  Congratulations for finally getting that off your plate

• Thanks 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, Spot Reduce [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Busy week. First off, goals: 

• Exercise: Yes. 
  • Languages: French - yes. Russian... no. 
  • Learning Practicing: Yes, story and links below. 
  • Cosplay:
    • Finish setting up electronics on the wings, start construction: Progress made. 
    • Finish the gentleman's Backlash hood, mask, and gems: F**KING YAAAAAAAAAAAAS.
  • Other:
    • Make a walking playlist in iTunes - different from workout list: Not yet. 
    • Learn 2 more quiet/ evening/ calm down songs: Not yet. 

Totally dropped Russian this week, but I'm determined not to make that a habit. French is coming along well; I only have two verses left and they're both pretty easy. Did not start on the music stuff yet, but that's ok. Got a fair bit done on cosplay this week, and I'm quite happy with that. The mask is done, and the gentleman took it in to the hairdresser's yesterday, got it cleaned up a bit. The guy did a great job of making it look like a real haircut while keeping it just long enough to cover the edges/ hem of the wig. It does look a little manga in front, but the gentleman is quite pleased. 

Yesterday was in the 50s and wonderful outside, so I set up the workbench and made some proto-putty to make casts from. I definitely learned some lessons for next time, including: 1) don't work with cornstarch outside on a windy day. 2) Read the actual instructions and pierce the foil on the tube of caulk before trying to squeeze it out. 3) When the video says use a bowl to mix it, use a bowl. It is much harder to get sticky goop out of a cup than a bowl. 4) Even with corn starch, silicone caulk will, eventually, stick to your gloves, and it's not like cookie dough in that it will reform with the main section. You will just have shaggy monster hands. 5) Despite the previous issue, really do mix the cornstarch in well. You'll regret not doing so when you wash your mold out and there's a new protrusion where a lump of cornstarch was. 

Despite all that, the forms ended up well, as shown below with the gems we got that were the right diameter, but horribly made. I opened the bag of Worbla Crystal Art and added some dye, which looked very cool and then picked up "eyes" when I took a picture. I got the pieces dyed in the microwave, but couldn't get the worbla to working temp (100° C - boiling point for water). I took it downstairs and worked it with my heat gun, but after 20-30 minutes, I could not make the gem happen. I could get it to stick together, and make a lump of what looked like dried raspberry jelly, but it was too hot to knead, and I don't have tools to effectively do so without touching it. I got a rough shape the right size, but the gentleman and I agreed it was too opaque and too textured for what he wanted. I suggested he talk to another cosplay friend of his, who got him in touch with someone who makes custom gems as a side job, and hopefully we'll get better results than from the teenager chicky. So while not a win, the gems are also off my list. I have nothing on the cosplay list but Valkyrie. Woot!

image.png.64908054343a066b1d2fdcd0e78ef6b3.png image.png.12be5a1fdee14f04918994baeeeafb9f.png

Since the weather was cooperating, I cleared the workbench and cut one of the carbon fiber rods yesterday. Turns out getting 3 was a good idea, because my calculations were off, and I will need that third one. Cutting it was tricky but doable with my Dremel, and I managed it without any explosions, electronics shorting out, or lung damage (that I know of). That said, I will absolutely only do that for the other rods outside. The amount of black dust that it produced was ungodly, and I do not want that in my house. 

image.png.7c069424061d4fe7f360253c11c81220.png

The gentleman suggested looking for hinges that would insert into the ends of the rods rather than drilling holes. I did look around, but the only ones I found that are made to fit in (or around the outside of) pipes are for tubes 1.5" or larger, so it looks like I'll have to go with shoulder bolts and drilling holes in the tubes (also will be done outside). As always, suggestions for alternatives are welcome. I pulled out the electronics on Friday night and tried to figure out how to make multiple servos go at once, with no luck (yet). I did find a freaking HUGE sample program that illustrates how to do multiple things at once; I need to wade through it and pull out the pieces that apply to me, but it was late when I found it and I wasn't up to that much coding deciphering. Definitely on the to-do list this week though. 

Dang, this is already long. Last item: sketching. @Anim07734's suggestion of a "badass dragon" burrowed into the back of my head and morphed a few times over the weekend. Cutting through lots of back and forth, I decided that my life is boring right now, but I'd started to write a book back in 2018 loosely based on me-in-my-20s + fantasy elements, and her life could be fun to make one-off stories and sketches about, since I haven't done serious work on the story since then. Help flesh out the world and the lore and all that. So I started writing what was supposed to be a short story to accompany the sketch, only at 11:30 last night, I realized that I suck at writing short fantasy, and I should probably a) stop for the night, and b) make the story and the sketch two different things. 

So this morning, I did a sketch. I aimed to make it short, simple, and - the hardest part for me - quick and dirty. I tend towards perfectionism, which is part of what made me stop sketching, and my pen of preference tends to blot and smear. BUT. This time, I cleaned up only the most egregious mistakes, and just bloody posted the thing. Here ya go, Anim... your dragon.

Ideas for this week's sketch are, apparently, welcome. I make no promises tho. 

• Like 8

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Congrats on the cosplay progress.  One last idea for the gems, if they end up back on your plate, is 2-part resin.  It's not the easiest to work with, but it's also not the most difficult, and each batch/attempt only takes an hour or so, then dries for a couple days.  If it's something you want to look into, I'll bug my fiancee about the better video tutorials she's found.

For the tubes, are there hinges that could be pipe clamped securely enough to hold?  There are multiple things with the same name, but this style is what I mean.  If you do have to drill, be careful, carbon fiber dust is terrible.

1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

Dang, this is already long. Last item: sketching. @Anim07734's suggestion of a "badass dragon" burrowed into the back of my head and morphed a few times over the weekend. Cutting through lots of back and forth, I decided that my life is boring right now, but I'd started to write a book back in 2018 loosely based on me-in-my-20s + fantasy elements, and her life could be fun to make one-off stories and sketches about, since I haven't done serious work on the story since then. Help flesh out the world and the lore and all that. So I started writing what was supposed to be a short story to accompany the sketch, only at 11:30 last night, I realized that I suck at writing short fantasy, and I should probably a) stop for the night, and b) make the story and the sketch two different things. 

So this morning, I did a sketch. I aimed to make it short, simple, and - the hardest part for me - quick and dirty. I tend towards perfectionism, which is part of what made me stop sketching, and my pen of preference tends to blot and smear. BUT. This time, I cleaned up only the most egregious mistakes, and just bloody posted the thing. Here ya go, Anim... your dragon.

That's definitely a badass dragon.  Also hilariously adorable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

3 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Busy week. First off, goals: 

• Exercise: Yes. 
  • Languages: French - yes. Russian... no. 
  • Learning Practicing: Yes, story and links below. 
  • Cosplay:
    • Finish setting up electronics on the wings, start construction: Progress made. 
    • Finish the gentleman's Backlash hood, mask, and gems: F**KING YAAAAAAAAAAAAS.
  • Other:
    • Make a walking playlist in iTunes - different from workout list: Not yet. 
    • Learn 2 more quiet/ evening/ calm down songs: Not yet. 

[...]

Wow, you have been really diligent this week, well done! :D 

Love the dragon, the second frame of the comic is just too cute. ❤️ 

• Thanks 1

Previous challenges: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

I really want to snip out the *proud* and use it as a reaction icon! 😂 That little dragon is too awesome! 

Sorry to hear about the molding troubles, I've had a lot more luck with the soapy water method than I have with the cornstarch, but outsourcing is sometimes the best answer. (Resin casting is a really fun rabbit hole to go down though...😉 ) I can't wait to see how your wings turn out, I've always been really envious of them at cons.

• Like 1

Learning the art of Failing Upwards... (or: Moving Mountains with Teaspoons!)

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

18 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

Congrats on the cosplay progress.  One last idea for the gems, if they end up back on your plate, is 2-part resin.  It's not the easiest to work with, but it's also not the most difficult, and each batch/attempt only takes an hour or so, then dries for a couple days.  If it's something you want to look into, I'll bug my fiancee about the better video tutorials she's found.

For the tubes, are there hinges that could be pipe clamped securely enough to hold?  There are multiple things with the same name, but this style is what I mean.  If you do have to drill, be careful, carbon fiber dust is terrible.

I wouldn't mind having links, even though I don't need it right now. You never know. I ended up going with... well, *I* know them as Chicago screws for the hinged, but according to The Bolt Depot, they're also called sex bolts and mating screws, which I chortled at for a bit before ordering (and would also make a good name for a metal band). Also ordered a bag of zip ties, as a way to attach feathers, servos, etc without drilling. Cutting the holes for the... chicago screws... will only be done outside. As you say, that stuff is nasty. 

14 hours ago, pureleeawesome said:

Well that is just adorable and now I want them to go on an adventure together.

It won't necessarily be THAT dragon, but once I finish the short story, I'll link it. Just words though, sorry. I can't imagine the time it takes to make a full-on comic book. 

10 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

I really want to snip out the *proud* and use it as a reaction icon! 😂 That little dragon is too awesome! 

Sorry to hear about the molding troubles, I've had a lot more luck with the soapy water method than I have with the cornstarch, but outsourcing is sometimes the best answer. (Resin casting is a really fun rabbit hole to go down though...😉 ) I can't wait to see how your wings turn out, I've always been really envious of them at cons.

You are absolutely welcome to do so, I have no issues with this stuff being used outside the blog/ nf. What, may I ask, is "the soapy water method"? I can definitely see where casting would be fun, but I have way too much crafting accoutrement as is. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

What, may I ask, is "the soapy water method"? I can definitely see where casting would be fun, but I have way too much crafting accoutrement as is. 

TL;DR: You get a bucket of water and add enough dish soap that it feels a bit slimy. You squish out the caulk while the tip is underwater and then work it around with your hands until it feels about the same as soft clay/firm toothpaste. If you want to mold it around an object you get it a little stiffer, if you want to push it into a mold box I go a little softer. Then you set it aside to cure. The water will cause the silicone caulk to set (although I've had issues with GE Silicone II), The soap just keeps it from sticking to your hands. As a warning it takes quite a bit to stop smelling like vinegar. 😅

It's a LOT slower than the cornstarch method (that one setup incredibly quickly on me) but the molds are much more flexible and are great for working with plaster as well as resin. (I've had some great luck mixing wood glue and plaster to get things that are much sturdier).

I've got a bunch of blog posts that walk through the process a little more, but this is the most recent 'what I learned' sum-up. 😁

...and I am totally stealing the dragon for use on the forums (with appropriate credit of course!)

• Like 3

Learning the art of Failing Upwards... (or: Moving Mountains with Teaspoons!)

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

19 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

This is what I used for making the infinity stones in my fiances infinity gauntlet. I used food colouring (not sure if this is the correct way LOL but it was just a halloween costume). The gems have sort of faded now with sun exposure though so maybe not the best way of colouring. Gems are definitely tricky. But you did a great job making the molds 😮 I have never done that before lol I kind of want to try it. 

Spoiler

gauntlet.jpg?psid=1&width=601&height=484

Love that cute little badass dragon ❤️ 

• Like 2

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

4 hours ago, Manarelle said:

I wouldn't mind having links, even though I don't need it right now. You never know. I ended up going with... well, *I* know them as Chicago screws for the hinged, but according to The Bolt Depot, they're also called sex bolts and mating screws, which I chortled at for a bit before ordering (and would also make a good name for a metal band). Also ordered a bag of zip ties, as a way to attach feathers, servos, etc without drilling. Cutting the holes for the... chicago screws... will only be done outside. As you say, that stuff is nasty. 

Even knowing that what you posted was a legit website I opened that link in an incognito window.

• Haha 6

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I'm sorry everyone my immature brain simply could not get past "sex bolts and mating screws." 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

16 hours ago, Red1263 said:

I'm sorry everyone my immature brain simply could not get past "sex bolts and mating screws." 🤣

You're not alone. I skipped over it on the first perusal of the website because my brain was like "NOPE, NOT WHAT YOU WANT," and then I went back and actually read it and yes, it was what I want... for my wings, anyway. :D And then of course, I had to share. 

On 1/4/2021 at 9:46 AM, Rookie said:

This is what I used for making the infinity stones in my fiances infinity gauntlet. I used food colouring (not sure if this is the correct way LOL but it was just a halloween costume). The gems have sort of faded now with sun exposure though so maybe not the best way of colouring. Gems are definitely tricky. But you did a great job making the molds 😮 I have never done that before lol I kind of want to try it. 

The picture did not load for me. :( Very cool that you made your finance an infinity gauntlet! My general rule of thumb for cosplay is "did it work? Then you did it right!" 

Spent an hour last night wading my way through code for the arduino. I think I'm getting closer to making multiple servos work at the same time, but I'm definitely not there yet. There have been some indications at work that.... maybe we're not being sold, or at least not completely? Meh, still not going to sweat it until I hear for sure. 

Finished off the short story last night, waiting for a friend to proofread it and give feedback. Did a rough layout of this week's sketch so I can just sit down and draw when the time is right. Still finding that one mentally tough to accept that I can do the sketches and they're not a waste, but time will help. Trying to keep my head out of the situation at the capitol right now, and trust that it will be resolved soon. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Manarelle said:

The picture did not load for me. :( Very cool that you made your finance an infinity gauntlet! My general rule of thumb for cosplay is "did it work? Then you did it right!" 

It was a lot of fun to make. And I got to put a bald cap on him and paint him purple 😅

15 hours ago, Manarelle said:

There have been some indications at work that.... maybe we're not being sold, or at least not completely? Meh, still not going to sweat it until I hear for sure. 

I went through this late 2019 and early 2020. It was not fun but I tried to keep your approach. My boss came into our office and proclaimed "I'd never sell" then a month later or so he sold. Nothing has changed for us so far really but there's a lot of uncertainty because master company hasn't really decided the direction they want us to go. My little company works on 2 software ... They bought us for the software I don't work on 😅 and in fact they have a "competitor"  software for the one I do work on. So that's fun. But so far there haven't been any indication of us having to stop and we are still selling and supporting both. So basically I totally understand the feeling you are having. At least to some extent. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

13 hours ago, Rookie said:

I went through this late 2019 and early 2020. It was not fun but I tried to keep your approach. My boss came into our office and proclaimed "I'd never sell" then a month later or so he sold. Nothing has changed for us so far really but there's a lot of uncertainty because master company hasn't really decided the direction they want us to go. My little company works on 2 software ... They bought us for the software I don't work on 😅 and in fact they have a "competitor"  software for the one I do work on. So that's fun. But so far there haven't been any indication of us having to stop and we are still selling and supporting both. So basically I totally understand the feeling you are having. At least to some extent. 

Oof, that's not a super comfortable place to be; hope it stays steady for you. No further word on our side, which is good. Let's keep it that way. 

On the wings: I've been slowly pecking away at the programming for the wings, and I've gotten the "making 2 servos move at the same time" part down. Unfortuantely, this brought up an issue I didn't think I'd have to face yet, and is preventing me from moving forward: I don't have the juice to power 2 smoothly, and I doubt I'd get 3 at all.... 

MorePower.png

I don't know the right keywords to find what I need though... I need... a way to group batteries together so I can have 50V at once (that's including 25% overage), without adding 60lbs to the rig. Power bank/ power pack only results in like emergency cell phone plug-ins though. Anyone have electrical advice on this? I'm running into a wall and it's annoying. 

On a totally different topic, I got the short story finished and proofread. It's a different dragon than the sketch, but the same human. Enjoy (or give feedback, either is fine). 

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

group batteries together so I can have 50V at once

21 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

I don't know the right keywords to find what I need though

21 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Anyone have electrical advice on this?

Yes. A 50V system is not safe for amateurs. That's not just me, but federal workplace safety regulations. Don't wire them in series, find a way to wire them in parallel so you can keep a 12V or lower system. Or, better yet, power each servo from totally separate power sources, and run only the control signal wire from the microcontroller. Plus side to separate power supplies: less resistance in the power circuit, so you won't see as much performance degredation due to power drain versus wiring in series.

• Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

MorePower.png

49 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Yes. A 50V system is not safe for amateurs. That's not just me, but federal workplace safety regulations. Don't wire them in series, find a way to wire them in parallel so you can keep a 12V or lower system. Or, better yet, power each servo from totally separate power sources, and run only the control signal wire from the microcontroller. Plus side to separate power supplies: less resistance in the power circuit, so you won't see as much performance degredation due to power drain versus wiring in series.

I'll suggest looking into RC car and plane setups. The high-end ones will run multiple high-strength and/or high-speed servos simultaneously without power issues.

• Like 2

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

10 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

This is exactly what I needed, thank you! My gentleman works with electricity, but only high-voltage to power massive HVAC units - he is as lost as I am when it comes to "smaller" levels, and I really don't want to fudge this up and burn out electronics or myself. Each servo only takes 5V, so I'd think I'd be able to keep it below 12V without problem. I will read up on parallel vs series wiring, and look at individual power supplies. Again, thank you very much!

9 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

I'll suggest looking into RC car and plane setups. The high-end ones will run multiple high-strength and/or high-speed servos simultaneously without power issues.

Thank you too! I will look into this as well. The brain was derping hard last night - this probably should have been the next logical step. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Manarelle said:

On a totally different topic, I got the short story finished and proofread. It's a different dragon than the sketch, but the same human. Enjoy (or give feedback, either is fine). 

I almost missed the update with the story.  Very fun, I'm looking forward to the next installment.

2 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Thank you too! I will look into this as well. The brain was derping hard last night - this probably should have been the next logical step. 

I only thought of it because I used to work at a shop that sold the parts.  I built a rock crawler (extreme off-road RC car) at one point, but don't remember any of the details that went into it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Each servo only takes 5V, so I'd think I'd be able to keep it below 12V without problem.

If each servos takes 5V, I don't think you actually have, or could have, a 50V system. You have a 5V system that's drawing a lot of power. In fact, probably drawing more power than your source provides. But everything is working at 5V. If you tried to power it with 50V, or really anything above 6-ish, it'd just fry everything immediately. Those aren't high voltage components.

Don't bother with parallel versus series, you're almost certainly already powering them in parallel. The issue is likely the current draw. They just need separate power sources.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines