Manarelle can't think of a title.

Manarelle

On 1/9/2021 at 4:25 PM, DoubleTrouble said:

Nice story! Is the name Bast inspired from the part of a plant? I remember a character from The Kane Chronicles with the same name

Ooh, hey yeah, I neglected to introduce Bast very well. If you go one post older, you'll get the "official" chapter 1 - Bast is short for Sebastian for no real reason. My dad pointed out to me this week that there is apparently a children's book author named Sylvia Bishop in England... oh, well. Again, I just liked the name.

It's late, but I want to wrap up the week cause it's kind of sucked. Goals: 

• Exercise: Yes. 
  • Languages: French - yes. Russian - yes. 
  • Learning Practicing: Yes, link to this week's sketch below. 
  • Cosplay:
    • Finish setting up electronics on the wings, start construction: UGH. Progress made. 
    • Finish the gentleman's Backlash hood, mask, and gems
  • Other:
    • Make a walking playlist in iTunes - different from workout list: Started... 
    • Learn 2 more quiet/ evening/ calm down songs: Not yet. 

Setting aside the political bs that happened this week, and the continued discovery that it was far better planned and equipped than initial reports suggested, this week was... ok probably not horrible but ended with me in a poopy mood. I thought I was just dumb as rocks on the multiple servos issues, but turned out I just had a power issue, which @sarakingdom and @Anim07734 helped immensely on. I got more freaking parts in today and hope to have time to poke at them and power up more servos to check my coding sometime this week. Unfortunately, that meant that the wings have ben on hold for a couple days. Today was chilly but sunny and windless, so I set up to drill the tubes/ wing bones. Got the pilot holes drilled with my Dremel, then found out that the gentleman had not bought a new drill like we discussed eight months ago, so I had to wait 2 hours while the old, dead batteries that go with the old drill charged up from 100% dead because they hadn't been used in 24 hours. Alas, they do not make 1/4" drill bits for Dremel, which is why I had to switch. 

Figured I'd get my weekly call to the parents out of the way while I waited, and, while I managed to avoid talking about the coup, I did get to hear "I'm not saying slavery is right, BUT.... [I won't bore you with the rest]" come out of my mother's mouth. Not a huge surprise - I've known she's a racist **** since I was 8, but it did less than nothing to improve my mood. On a lighter note, my dad - who is a preacher's son and a... not quite rabid, but certainly fervent Christian - asked me outright if I could talk to plants like Sylvia does, "and if you do, that's ok, I don't mind, I'm just wondering how based-on-you this character is!" He's hinted at that question before, but it's the first time he's asked outright and I'm curious what's in his head, but the drill batteries had charged up by then, so I cut things short.  Parents, eh? Anyway, I did get the holes drilled in the tubes, so this week I'm debating taking time out from programming electronics to actually start building things on a tentative level. My sex screws and mating shafts or whatever came in, and I miss actually physically building things. 

Languages and workouts went ok - I started writing down what songs I want on my walking list as I was walking on Thursday, but the workout was cut short when my guts decided they hated existence and wanted to escape their confines as soon as physically possible. Didn't get into bed until after midnight, and the cat was a whiny ho all night, so Friday was a definite mood. Saturday morning was spent sketching, and there's a new sketch up here. The link to the short story is the same one I posted here earlier - I am not that prolific a writer.  Sketch had a lot more background and my hand is clearly not used to that much fine work, but I had fun with it. 

That's pretty much all this week, other than stupid work stuff and stupid mood stuff. I'm gonna go see if I can make it to the end of my usual walk without expelling innards and try to improve the mood. Here's to a better week this week. 

• Like 8

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Last week sucked, and I think everyone is feeling it.

At this point, I'm just hoping that 13 months is enough for 2020, and we can start 2021 proper in February.

• Like 4

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

9 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

At this point, I'm just hoping that 13 months is enough for 2020, and we can start 2021 proper in February.

A-frikking-men. I'm not going to lie, I'm getting some... not sure what to call it yet... from seeing consequences finally start to happen against the insurrectionists. It feels like, for four years, horrible people have been able to do and say horrible things and not face any consequences, and now FINALLY things are starting to turn around and justice/ decency/ common sense is being vindicated. It's not schadenfreude, because I don't want horrible people to be miserable, per se; I want them to realize there are consequences to being a horrible person and maybe, just maybe, realize they should stop being horrible to other people. I suspect there will be a fair amount of this feeling as 2021 goes on, but I'm sad and frustrated that the horrible acts haven't stopped. Maybe naïve of me, but there it is. 

• Like 8

My parents used to say “chinky babies” and they legit thought that was a term of cuteness and really thought racism was saying things with a spirit of hate, and I’m like “chinky babies is racist too” SMH now I am the “IS THIS RACIST” expert in the house and omg there was a while there when I was gonna lose my mind. 

sike, I totally lost my mind years ago lol

2021 is gonna be ugly for a while. But we’re gonna get through it and hopefully be a better country at the end of it. We’ve never really addressed our racism problem and maybe we’ll finally do that! 

• Like 3
21 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

I'm jumping on this idea FULL till 

11 hours ago, Manarelle said:

A-frikking-men. I'm not going to lie, I'm getting some... not sure what to call it yet... from seeing consequences finally start to happen against the insurrectionists. It feels like, for four years, horrible people have been able to do and say horrible things and not face any consequences, and now FINALLY things are starting to turn around and justice/ decency/ common sense is being vindicated. It's not schadenfreude, because I don't want horrible people to be miserable, per se; I want them to realize there are consequences to being a horrible person and maybe, just maybe, realize they should stop being horrible to other people. I suspect there will be a fair amount of this feeling as 2021 goes on, but I'm sad and frustrated that the horrible acts haven't stopped. Maybe naïve of me, but there it is. 

As people are answering for the events of last week i just have that kid from vine SCREAMING in my head "You have to see that your ACTIONS have CONSEQUENCES"

• Like 1

That's neat, and so are you

Felt good last night after work, decided to get hands-on with the wings. Found out that we don't have any metal washers around the house, but the leather I used to make Thor's belt is the perfect thickness, so I made my own washers and set up the wing bones on the sewing dummy. 

y728Sjy.jpg

The height is great - it ends about 4-5" above my head, although I'm sure where they're positioned on my back will change once I figure out the wiring, battery packs, and servo positioning. I also need to figure out if I can get them to fold correctly if I leave the top/ end piece further back then the middle one; I realize that there's no way with my physique that I will get the ends of the wings to tuck in behind my butt, so I need to accept that they won't fold fully which might help that question. 

I also moved the sketch down to the basement so I can start sizing up feather patterns. I figure I'll cut the large pattern pieces out of paper and tape them to the sketch to make sure they are the size I want, then start making the feathers once everything's laid out. Doesn't make sense to do that with the sketch hanging upstairs, so here's my working layout for the next while:

YBjwRBk.jpg

I cut the carbon fiber tubes a little larger than the sketch, so it won't line up perfectly, but it's going to be fun laying it out (and we don't look at the Legos anyway). Felt nice to actually get physical work done instead of just poking at code. 

And since there are other pictures up, here's kitty being judgy, which is what kitties do best:

image.png.f6dc82277bb070ca54214f5e2ed2503b.png

• Like 9

1. Props for figuring out the electronics for your wings. I don't understand most of what you and Sarakingdom were talking about... 

2. Awesome progress pics! I can't wait to see how it comes together! ☺️ Those wings are so cool

3. Your work space is amazing. I'm a big Marvel fan and I'm geeking out identifying your figures! 

I hope this week is a major improvement over last week. ☺️

• Thanks 1

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

Man, Judgy Kitty really makes you feel like you're being judged :P 

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

On 1/13/2021 at 7:12 PM, MezzotheLefty said:

1. Props for figuring out the electronics for your wings. I don't understand most of what you and Sarakingdom were talking about... 

The number of things I explore and learn just enough about to discuss what I need.... is very high. I have not yet solved the electronics as I've been focusing on the building of the wings this week. 

On 1/13/2021 at 7:12 PM, MezzotheLefty said:

3. Your work space is amazing. I'm a big Marvel fan and I'm geeking out identifying your figures! 

If you're bored, here's a more complete set of photos. There are lots. :)

On 1/13/2021 at 11:38 PM, Red1263 said:

Man, Judgy Kitty really makes you feel like you're being judged :P 

Yuuuuuup. She's got a perfect face for it. 

Spent 2.5 hours last night mucking with the feather layouts:

gxy7MFg.jpg

As always, this is subject to change as things continue. The more I look at it, the more I think the feathers to the right of the bottom joint need tweaked, but it's a good start. 

• Like 7

20 hours ago, pureleeawesome said:

Y'know, when I first read wings my immediate thoughts turned to food.

But these wings are much cooler!

I REALLY hope food wings don't take an entire year to be made. :) 

Goals: 

• Learning Practicing: Yes, link to this week's sketch below. 
  • Cosplay:
    • Finish setting up electronics on the wings, start construction: Progress made. 
    • Finish the gentleman's Backlash hood, mask, and gems: Pathetically, this is back on my to-do list. 
  • Other:
    • Make a walking playlist in iTunes - different from workout list: Compiling.
    • Learn 2 more quiet/ evening/ calm down songs: No.

This week's sketch is pretty simple, after the hella background of last week. Still, I did it and I'm becoming somewhat more consistent about them. In an annoying-ass twist, the person that was recommended to make the gems for the Backlash outfit is now saying she can't do it, so we're having her ship the molds and the gems BACK to us, and I will just have to figure out how to do it my dang self. Did not expect two gems to be the sticking point of that entire outfit. That will have to wait til spring, though, because I am not laying with the silicone gel in an enclosed area. Grrrrrr.

The playlist for walking is growing, and will probably be coherent enough to create on iTunes by the end of the month. I will try to pick out the two calm songs to learn this week and get started on those. Maître Thenardier is done in French, and I'm about halfway through La Transaction, then I'll be halfway done with the whole play, woot! Thanks to last week's electronics help, the gentleman and I were able to solve the power problem, and I'm back to working on the programming, oh joy. Otherwise, pretty basic week. Here's to the next week being very specifically quiet and peaceful. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, KB Girl said:

She didn't realise she couldn't do it before you shipped the gems over there? :X 

Apparently us saying "we made a mold out of the bad ones, but it's not a good mold and it shows the defects in the bad gems" somehow got lost in the conversation. Her response when she received the package is "I can make the gems, but they'll show the imperfections of the mold." Yeah, no ****, Sherlock, that's what we said in the first place. The gentleman asked for her to ship it all back, and I guess I'm gonna have to try my hand at casting: first try to fill in the bubbles on the old gems, then make a better mold, then try the 2-part thing that @UnquietBones linked in the last page. I am deeply annoyed by all of this. 

Programming work on Sunday did not go well, to the point of just laying down on the floor and crying (about more than just the programming, but that was the last straw).  Kitty, of course, immediately took advantage of this to ignore my plight and frolic in my hair - animal sympathies, my big toe. Yesterday was spent ignoring the programming elephant and looking for hardware solutions to connecting the servos to the "bones," which I think will only require a trip to Home Depot and less than $10. My makeshift effort to keep it in place is neither elegant nor effective, so I can't start hanging feathers as I procrastinate on the programming.

• Sad 5

On 1/19/2021 at 1:12 PM, Anim07734 said:

Comforting Big Hero 6 GIF by Sky

Hoping this week goes better for you.

Thank you. Yesterday was a very restorative day, mostly spent watching the inauguration and restructuring priorities. Still no word on evicting the parents, the gentleman's job situation, or my job situation, so things are still a little tense, but here's to not having to worry about the government being dismantled (knock on every piece of wood I can find). 

• Like 6

I am totally impressed with your cosplay skills.  Yeah, you make cool stuff, but the more impressive part is all of the random skills and knowledge you get in the process.  Molding artificial gemstones?  Electronic circuits?  Mechanical rigging?  No task is so impossible that you aren't willing to give it a try   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, Spot Reduce [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

10 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I am totally impressed with your cosplay skills.  Yeah, you make cool stuff, but the more impressive part is all of the random skills and knowledge you get in the process.  Molding artificial gemstones?  Electronic circuits?  Mechanical rigging?  No task is so impossible that you aren't willing to give it a try   

I appreciate the kind words. And I'm just going to leave it at that. 

Spent almost 2 hours last night trying to put the mechanical bits of the wings together. Found out the 1/2" cable hangers I bought are just under 1/2", which doesn't work very well when you're dealing with rigid tubing. Consequently, the bolts and screws I bought that should be just long enough.... aren't. I can buy longer screws and make it work, but I am so bloody tired of having to jury-rig every dang thing. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Goals: 

• Learning Practicing: No, for good reasons. 
  • Cosplay:
    • Finish setting up electronics on the wings, start construction: Yes. 
    • Finish the gentleman's Backlash hood, mask, and gems: Back off my to do list... 
  • Other:
    • Make a walking playlist in iTunes - different from workout list: Still compiling.
    • Learn 2 more quiet/ evening/ calm down songs: Working on one. 

Up and down week. Wednesday was good for hope, then the cat decided to be more of a [deleted] than usual, and Thursday and Friday nights were waking up every hour or less to her caterwauling, and my mood deteriorated quickly. We've been taking turns waking her up from her naps all day long, and if she doesn't stfu and let us sleep, she's getting locked in the basement overnight from here on. I did not work on a sketch today because my temper is shot. Instead, I posted some sketches from the drawing class I did 2 years ago, and worked on writing - the next chapter of Sylvia Bishop is up. 

The gentleman pulled me out of my mood around noon, so I spent some time working on the servos, and finally got my code to work. First got it with 2 servos, then set up everything as it will be on the wings and it all worked, so f**k yeah. I still need to dial in the correct angles and speeds for each joint, but I will need to actually attach the servos to the bones to do that, and it's only changing the start/ stop values in the code, so - knock on wood - shouldn't require any time at all. The gentleman has offered to help with the actual wiring, so that should go fairly smoothly; the attaching things to round bones will be the trouble there, I think. Screenshot of the successful layout:

image.png.8fa50b27692994af8ef4b48c42f1a43a.png

Still adding to the walking playlist, and workouts are going well. I'm effectively done with La Transaction in French; next is Bonjour Paris, which is also slangy. In good news, the gentleman posted on a cosplay list about the gems and was contacted by a dude who can 3D print the gems in see-through red acrylic and immediately grasped the idea of using a foil backing to make it more reflective. He showed photos of stuff he's done before, and we are quite hopeful about this guy. I swear, if he pulls this off, I'm going to send him a huge box of baked goods in addition to the usual payment.

• Like 8

Hats off to the gentleman for pulling you out of your mood, and hats off to you for finally getting the code to work! :)

Curious as to what Sylvia's last talent-that-she-absolutely-must-not-share is... maybe she can cause plants to explode or something

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Hats off to the gentleman for pulling you out of your mood, and hats off to you for finally getting the code to work! :)

Curious as to what Sylvia's last talent-that-she-absolutely-must-not-share is... maybe she can cause plants to explode or something

Moods can't always be dispersed, but the gentleman is definitely good when they can be. And hell yes to the code.

Well now.... I guess you'll have to keep reading.... as I put out like one story per three weeks. 🙄 

• Like 3

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines