Manarelle can't think of a title.

Manarelle

Fingers crossed for the Infinity Stones Gems!

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I'm a late getting the info, and hopefully you won't need it, but I did finally remember to talk to my fiancee about our resin stuff.  Turns out she just googles whatever issue she's trying to solve and her phone isn't the best at keeping a watch history.

But I did look up what we've been using.  This is the resin and this is the color powder we picked to start.  If you do decide to try it, make sure any tools and cups you use are either silicone or disposable (and your work surface is covered).  It can be cleaned up with rubbing alcohol while still wet, but it's much easier to just let it cure and then peel the resin off the silicone.  Also, it takes a day or two to fully cure, so you'll want to keep it covered to keep dust out.

This is the kind of color we've been getting (with glitter added as well):

keychains

• Like 2

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

2 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

This is the kind of color we've been getting (with glitter added as well):

No worries at all - I'm definitely hoping I don't have to use it, but you never know when something might come up again. Those keychains are very nice - good color, crisp edges, and the glitter is fun, though no thank you to ever having glitter in my house. You and your fiancee are amazing crafters. 

Mini update:  talked to the lawyer last night and our eviction case is finally in the system! He said he's going to try to push that it's an "emergency" case due to ongoing damages of the house (mostly due to neglect, but we haven't seen the inside in 3 months...). .Without the emergency status, he's saying it should be a month or so til we can schedule with the sheriff and forcibly remove them. C19 cases are going down in our area, so knock on wood there will be no further delays. We are super thankful that the buyer is so patient and keeps signing extensions, but reallywant this nonsense done. 

• Like 3

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

3 hours ago, Manarelle said:

the glitter is fun, though no thank you to ever having glitter in my house.

I've just accepted that my house is now full of glitter.  Every time I think we might finally be getting it cleaned up, she finds another project that uses it... :P

• Haha 1

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

54 minutes ago, Anim07734 said:

I've just accepted that my house is now full of glitter.  Every time I think we might finally be getting it cleaned up, she finds another project that uses it... :P

Glitter: The Herpes of the crafting world.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

3 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Glitter: The Herpes of the crafting world.

Many many many many years ago, I had a housemate that did some projects involving... we called them pikachu feathers, but technically I think it was down..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgnnufOAzvSOUR2h1WqNp

I vacuumed regularly, we moved houses four times after she did those stupid projects, and yet eight years and three full changes of roommates later, I was still finding that crap in drawers and furniture corners. Since then, I have a standing rule that neither glitter nor feathers are allowed in the house. I take birthday/ christmas cards outside to open them, just in case, and I aim to be STUDIOUS about not having any down fluff on my wings - full feathers only, and clip them outside. Never happening again. 

• Haha 2
  • That's Metal 1

This week has not been super, so I stepped away from the wings for a bit. I needed something physical to work on and see progress, so I worked on the scale mail last night:

image.png.e888f4f378a8168d9d3b5409a3a311f0.png image.png.5d4b12df9090e87986ba8dca02cd06de.png

Obviously, it doesn't look great over a t-shirt, but I connected the front and back so I can get a feel for how much I need to build it out. Naturally, having done so, it occurs to me that I could make it with clasps/ attachments between the front and back and then make TWO backs - one to wear with the wings, and one without (and could thus also make the neckline tighter). She doesn't have wings all the time, and this would be a pretty decent costume to travel with. Ah well, you live you learn. 

Also, despite being aluminum, this was surprisingly heavy; I need better support undergarments for it.  :D

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 2

That neckline looks comparable to realworld scale and chainmail I've seen.  They didn't really have the option of secure clasps in battle though, and would be wearing a coif to cover the head and neck anyway.  Since you already have the shoulders assembled, you could just make hook in pieces to cover the wing holes for when you don't want to wear them (bonus: you don't have to buy/build an entire second back).  Whatever you decide, it looks awesome and I'm looking forward to the finished product.

Time to start rucking so you can comfortably wear the wings and armor all day. :P 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captainfantastic said:

that's so cool!!! your brain works so differently from mine and i love this so much! what do you use for the scales? 

https://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=84&cat=Scales+-Large+and+Medium I use the medium anodized aluminum scales and rings from the same folks. I'm curious though - what prompted the brain working differently comment? I too am intrigued by how other peoples' brains work. 

1 hour ago, Anim07734 said:

That neckline looks comparable to realworld scale and chainmail I've seen.  They didn't really have the option of secure clasps in battle though, and would be wearing a coif to cover the head and neck anyway.  Since you already have the shoulders assembled, you could just make hook in pieces to cover the wing holes for when you don't want to wear them (bonus: you don't have to buy/build an entire second back).  Whatever you decide, it looks awesome and I'm looking forward to the finished product.

Time to start rucking so you can comfortably wear the wings and armor all day. :P 

Yeah, I tend to get a little TOO obsessive about making my outfits look as accurate as (comfortably) possible and then have to backtrack when the limits of reality set in. Unfortunately, I can't make the call on configuring the back for wings until I... ya know... make the wings... and they're still on my sh!t list. For now, I'll just build it out the way it is and make the call on connectors/ necklines once that's sorted. I'm realizing how much I love weaving scale mail though - it's super relaxing and the end product is nice. I'll keep that in mind after this project is done. 

You're probably right about the rucking.... bugger.... :) 

• Like 1

Week 4: 

• Exercise: Yes. 
  • Languages: French - yes. Russian - oops. 
  • Learning Practicing: No.
  • Cosplay:
    • Finish setting up electronics on the wings, start construction: Yes-ish.
    • Finish the gentleman's Backlash hood, mask, and gems
  • Other:
    • Make a walking playlist in iTunes - different from workout list: Continuing.
    • Learn 2 more quiet/ evening/ calm down songs: Started. 

In hindsight, this was not the greatest of weeks. I somehow completely forgot to do the second day of Russian, and actively decided not to do a sketch. I really dislike having hobbies be on a schedule, which I need to take into account in the future. The walking playlist is at 4 hours now, and I'm still adding to it; the challenge isn't over but that's already a success. Workouts are going well - I upped a couple exercises and my back is still not twinging, so heck yeah to that. 

I was struggling with how to mount the servos to the wings, when I realized I've got a fair size box full of worbla scraps. Gave the first one a try and realized taht worbla holds screws quite well, so ta da, servo mounts!

image.png.ce22389d181ed02856fd76399742a3fb.png

My intention is to glue them to the bones, but I might make a single "strap" around the bone just as backup. I then spent time playing with positioning to get the angles I need to program in. Popsicle sticks make pretty good stand-ins for servo connectors, and I was able to bend the metal clamps to work with the whole setup. Sunday night, I took the whole mess upstairs to update the program with the required angles. I tested a few changes and just as I was about to hit save, the power went out for like 5 seconds. Oooooookay, boot everything back up, make the changes I remembered, about to hit save - power blink again. This happened. FOUR. TIMES. IN A ROW. before I said a lot of bad words and put everything away, whereupon the power remained on for the rest of the night. I complained later to the gentleman that I thought the wings were cursed; he laughed and told me I'd said that about every cosplay I've made since he's known me. Didn't realize I was that predictable. :) 

So yes, progress is being made, but not as quickly as I'd like. Which is pretty typical. 

• Like 3

omg, you have a wings-hating poltergeist in your electrical system o.O

The scale mail looks so cool. Your facility with... how to put this, physical things? Just knowing what things will work together and what can be substituted for what to make shapes in space? is amazing.

• Thanks 1

Halfling Assassin

Current challenge:  Tei un-schedules 

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12,  13, 14, 15 

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs. We have a protractor." -- Fraa Erasmas

I was struggling with how to mount the servos to the wings, when I realized I've got a fair size box full of worbla scraps. Gave the first one a try and realized taht worbla holds screws quite well, so ta da, servo mounts!

image.png.ce22389d181ed02856fd76399742a3fb.png

My intention is to glue them to the bones, but I might make a single "strap" around the bone just as backup.

I've had problems in the past with worbla failing to support weight, so you may want to wrap the whole thing in strapping or Mesh Art, to make sure they're secure.  It would suck to get the wings put together, then have a servo work it's way loose.

Sunday night, I took the whole mess upstairs to update the program with the required angles. I tested a few changes and just as I was about to hit save, the power went out for like 5 seconds. Oooooookay, boot everything back up, make the changes I remembered, about to hit save - power blink again. This happened. FOUR. TIMES. IN A ROW. before I said a lot of bad words and put everything away, whereupon the power remained on for the rest of the night. I complained later to the gentleman that I thought the wings were cursed; he laughed and told me I'd said that about every cosplay I've made since he's known me. Didn't realize I was that predictable. :) 

When was your last blood sacrifice?  The cosplay/crafting gods are pretty particular about those. :P 

• Haha 2

Also, in case you haven't seen, Worbla is now selling pre-cut scales.  I'm not sure they're worth the current price, but it's a lighter weight-option, if you need one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tei_ said:

omg, you have a wings-hating poltergeist in your electrical system o.O

The scale mail looks so cool. Your facility with... how to put this, physical things? Just knowing what things will work together and what can be substituted for what to make shapes in space? is amazing.

I seriously do. It was quite annoying. And thank you - I visualize well, I guess. There was a thing that went around the internet a while back that some people have inner mono-/dialogues, while others have no inner voice. Hadn't thought about it before, but I mostly dialogue unless I need to visualize shapes, then the words bugger off and I just picture things. Handy for physically making things, less handy for describing what you need once you've done so. 

5 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

I've had problems in the past with worbla failing to support weight, so you may want to wrap the whole thing in strapping or Mesh Art, to make sure they're secure.  It would suck to get the wings put together, then have a servo work it's way loose.

There will be some form of physical connection for sure, but I was also planning on contact cementing it - definitely not counting on worbla's inherent stickiness. Ooh... I have a bunch of zip ties, that would work!

5 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

When was your last blood sacrifice?  The cosplay/crafting gods are pretty particular about those. :P 

Uh.... That might be the problem. It's been at least, what, 4-5 months since I was working on Taboo. Guess I'd better brush off that ol' witchcraft and figure out how to do intentional blood sacrifices..... or start sewing again. :D 

And thank you for the worbla link, but I really do like the aluminum scales. Honestly, I'm half debating keeping that as a side project - just work on shirts or something in my spare time and sell 'em once done. It's pretty relaxing and satisfying. 

• Like 1

I'm loving the Chainmail! I'd ride into battle with you, any day!

• Haha 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

19 hours ago, Manarelle said:

There was a thing that went around the internet a while back that some people have inner mono-/dialogues, while others have no inner voice. Hadn't thought about it before, but I mostly dialogue unless I need to visualize shapes, then the words bugger off and I just picture things. Handy for physically making things, less handy for describing what you need once you've done so. 

Ahh, I remember this, haha! It suddenly seemed like everyone I knew was like "WHAT, I [have an inner monologue/don't have an inner monologue], I can't believe there are people who [don't have one/do have one]!"

• Like 1

Halfling Assassin

Current challenge:  Tei un-schedules 

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12,  13, 14, 15 

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs. We have a protractor." -- Fraa Erasmas

Rant:

Spoiler

Boss called last week to talk about the possible company sale. He confirmed it's in progress, and while there's a chance it won't go through, it's looking pretty solid. If it does go down, he said it'll land in a couple months, around summertime. But - he stressed this a couple times - "don't worry, we'll take care of you. We'll take good care of you." Which is either comforting or creepy, depending on your mindset. The guys I hang out with in discord said they got similar from their boss, with mentions of "significant" severance packages if the sale goes through. (Less creepy).

There's a certification-type thing I've been waiting on for a year and a half now, that would allow me to move up the corporate ladder if I get it. Not just at this company, but in general the type of job I can apply for. It requires a physical in-person component, and it typically takes 6-12 months to get into the class. I put my application in at the end of 2019, got some indications that my app was moving forward; then the pandemic hit and literally silence happened. People could not be reached, nothing was in the news, no clue what was going on. I found a forum where other applicants had gathered to discuss, and it looked like everyone was in the same boat, getting no contact and no info - comforting to know my application hadn't just been summarily denied, but still concerning. This week, I got an email from the company that asked if I was still interested in completing the in-person component, and if so, please update your contact info if it's changed due to the pandemic. I replied immediately of course, and got an actual "we received your reply, we'll be in touch" response from a real human being, so there's some hope that's moving forward. If that continues to be scheduled like it was before the pandemic, there's a good chance it'll be offered.... around summertime, when the company sale might be happening. 

I've also been checking the court where the eviction case for the gentleman's family was filed. It was updated today to show a court date in the end of April (annoying, but ok, pandemic, whatever). The process in this county is that the tenants are given a 10-day window to dispute the ruling, then it goes to the sheriff's to schedule the actual "we're throwing your sh!t on the curb" date. So we're once again looking at..... early summertime. 

-.-

Now, this isn't to say that it's all going to hit at once. There's a good chance the class thing will be delayed until there's vaccination saturation, or that the family will move out before the court date (HA), or that the company won't actually sell. BUT. After over a year of silence on the class, 3 months of silence on the eviction, and then a sudden lowering of job security, it's rather annoying that this all hit within one week. Life clearly doesn't ascribe to the "all things in moderation" rule. 

Otherwise, this week has been fairly stable. Haven't gotten back to the wings yet, because I need to figure out the blood sacrifice thing, so I've been working on more Sylvia Bishop stories and teaching the cat that mrr'ing every 30 seconds is not acceptable behavior and will get you thrown out of the Manarelle Room. I know she's not stupid, but that lesson is taking a while to sink in. 

• Like 3

Commiserating with you on the rant situation. My company was sold in 2020 and we had no warning. My job was safe but all the change was nauseatingly stressful. Now the new company is mid-merger. I'm starting to prefer the no- warning approach: the sword hanging over me for the next 5 months is even more aggrevating!

No real advice, but fingers crossed the certification moves forward for you!! 🤞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

On 2/4/2021 at 10:20 PM, Captainfantastic said:

that sounds like SO much to handle. But i like the idea of teaching cats. It's funny to me because i'm not sure if cats or people are more stubborn lol

Oh me. I am WAY more stubborn than a cat when it comes to "give me silence and peace," especially at night. I have been the matriarch of the house in every place I've lived since I moved out of my parents'. Simple rules - keep common areas clean, pay your damn bills on time, and don't be a dick - but they are cast in iron. Kitty will either learn or keep being thrown out of my room. No other option. 

51 minutes ago, MezzotheLefty said:

Commiserating with you on the rant situation. My company was sold in 2020 and we had no warning. My job was safe but all the change was nauseatingly stressful. Now the new company is mid-merger. I'm starting to prefer the no- warning approach: the sword hanging over me for the next 5 months is even more aggrevating!

No real advice, but fingers crossed the certification moves forward for you!! 🤞

Ugh, you have had to deal with TWO mergers in two years? That's ridiculous, and good luck that this one turns out well. Thanks for the good wishes. 

Well, well, another challenge over. Goals:

• Exercise: Yes. 
  • Languages: French - yes. Russian - yes. 
  • Learning Practicing: Link: https://maveracite.blogspot.com/2021/02/working-from-home.html
  • Cosplay:
    • Finish setting up electronics on the wings, start construction: I guess? 
    • Finish the gentleman's Backlash hood, mask, and gems
  • Other:
    • Make a walking playlist in iTunes - different from workout list: Done. 
    • Learn 2 more quiet/ evening/ calm down songs: One done.

Eh, kind of a half and half challenge. Things were very up and down due to political and work issues, and my motivation fluctuated wildly as a result. Workouts continued, language practice seems to be solid, and I got a walking playlist set up to make indoor cardio better (which is good because the weather stinks). Sketching was 80% - I really don't like feeling on a schedule for that, so I might combine it with writing the Sylvia Bishop story. As long as I'm doing something for one or the other, I'll be content. 

I was hoping to be done with the electronics for the wings by now, and in a way, I guess I am. I did get the program sorted, and started putting the hardware together; I just need to tweak parameters and test it out. I'd like to focus more on this in the next challenge since the cert/ job situation is up in the air and I don't want half-constructed wings if we do have to move. There was a small beacon of hope on Friday - the gentleman's good sister, who has been helping the parents look for a place, is coming up this weekend to help them move - supposedly they've found a place that doesn't require a pet deposit or references. They don't really have much impetus to hustle, but if it's true, there's a chance they'll be out of there before the court date in April, saving us money and hassle. I'm not holding my breath, but gosh dang it that would be nice. 

• Like 4

Bah, it won't embed. Got the wings moving today.

How it looked: https://i.imgur.com/xPiUIK1.mp4 

How it felt:

hes-alive-gif-11.gif

Conveniently, Tuesday is supposed to be in the upper 40s and clear - no precip, no wind. I've marked out the other carbon fiber tubes for cutting & drilling that day, then I can focus on making the base to attach it all to. Mu hu ha ha....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • That's Metal 4

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines