Treva Gets a Bassline

Yes, I meant Bassline.  Like figured bass.  Get it?

Ok, maybe not.  #musicnerdjokes

Anyways, the challenges are good and healthy for me, so why not do another one?  Sounds good to me!  Build on progress!  Avoid thinking about the apocalypse aggressively worseningl!  Consider tarts!

I've found where to start, I've found a rhythm, and the next thing to add (or get back to) is a Bassline.

This post needs more music gifs.  I will need to add more.  Like this one!

Best University Center GIFs | Gfycat

Let's be honest: Same.

Tonic

Exercise: Ramping up my goals from last time: 

Exercise 4x/week minimum with Cardio paired with one of the following.

1. Strength Training 

2. Sword

3. Pilates

Diet: No more call days!! Yay!!!!  At least until march.  Then the Sadness Returns.

1. If it's healthy, it has to be tasty.

2. Eat out once a week or less.

Sleep:  set timer for 8:30 pm as a bedtime alarm.  

Ritual Must Include

1. Skincare

2. Calling Home

3. Watching some TV in bed before sleeping

4.  Dealing with anxiety by: thoughtjournal app, calm meditation app, audiobooks, calling home again, video games, telling myself it will be ok and crying a lot.

5. Add Yoga Nightly

Success Measurement: Weight loss: (lose 4 pounds by the end of the month), habitbull tracker.

Subdominant

Water the Self: I got a water bottle, so now my goal is to drink the whole bottle while at work.

Music practiceIncrease to 30 minutes 5x a week.

Control Your Thoughts: Meditate once per week.

Success Measurement: Habitbull Tracker

Dominant

Make Something Once a Week (like a fun healthy recipe).

Check in with friends every day, even if it's just a simple text.

Stand up for myself, at all costs

Set up a Twitch account and stream my favorite video game with my sister.

Success Measurement: Weekly self-checkins and Habitbull Tracker

Mini Goals: 

Week 1: Invention 

Tonic: Set the bedtime alarm

Subdominant: Start drinking more water at work

Dominant: Sausage and peppers this week, and set up a twitch account.

Week 2: Sinfonia 

Tonic: weigh in

Subdominant

Dominant

Week 3: Trio

Tonic: Restart weight training (done)

Subdominant: Get sheet music for Greatest Showman (today)

Dominant: Check in on other people's challenges (to do)

Week 4: Fugue

Tonic: Add in another leg exercise (started)

Subdominant: TBD

Dominant: Set another gaming with sister time this week

Week 5: BWV 682

Tonic: Final weigh in

Subdominant: Go back to BWV 682 and commit to it for the next three weeks, since I will FINALLY have the brainpower for that beast

Dominant: Answer the list of questions I made up for myself to help decide What I Want.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Breathe deep.  Seek peace.  Bring a sword.  ---Kishi

Playlist for the Zombie Apocalypse

3 hours ago, Mistr said:

I like your music organization of your challenge. Good goals too. :)

What type of medicine are you practicing this month?

Thanks!  I had forgotten about how much I like music.  Gotta get in and out of my own head in a safe fashion.

I am doing a mix of things this month, both inpatient and outpatient, and doing combinations of geriatrics, diabetes, and toxicology.  I am also working on research and studying for an exam. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

OK Day 1!! Here we go! 

Mini Goals: 

Week 1: Invention 

Tonic: Set the bedtime alarm--Set

Subdominant: Start drinking more water at work--Still to do, but since I am home a lot, I just drink water at home.  

Dominant: Sausage and peppers this week, and set up a twitch account--Made.  Will be doing a private Discord to stream instead.

I might "reward" myself early by buying a sunlamp.   Or just more lamps.  More lamps is probably the answer. 

Tonic

Exercise: Ramping up my goals from last time: 

Exercise 4x/week minimum with Cardio paired with one of the following.--Starting off on the right foot: met my goals this week

1. Strength Training - Done

2. Sword- Done

3. Pilates- Done

Diet: No more call days for a while!  Need to buy stuff for lunches this week.  I may go back to soups I can microwave; an old standby favorite of mine.

1. If it's healthy, it has to be tasty.

2. Eat out once a week or less.

Sleep:  set timer for 8:30 pm as a bedtime alarm.   Starting this week.

Ritual Must Include

1. Skincare

2. Calling Home

3. Watching some TV in bed before sleeping

4.  Dealing with anxiety by: thoughtjournal app, calm meditation app, audiobooks, calling home again, video games, telling myself it will be ok and crying a lot.

5. Add Yoga Nightly Still need to do this

Success Measurement: Weight loss: (lose 4 pounds and at least 2% body fat?  by the end of the month), habitbull tracker.

Subdominant

Water the Self: I got a water bottle, so now my goal is to drink the whole bottle while at work.

Music practiceIncrease to 30 minutes 5x a week. Because of changes at work, I have been able to add in some lunchtime practice time as well.  I am definitely meeting this goal

Control Your Thoughts: Meditate once per week.

Dominant

Make Something Once a Week (like a fun healthy recipe).  Did sausage and peppers like planned this week!  Will follow up with butternut squash soup today.

Check in with friends every day, even if it's just a simple text.  Doing this.  I don't know if it's helping me feel better, but I feel better about how I am interacting with people

Stand up for myself, at all costs  Not a whole lot of opportunities to do this.

Set up a Twitch account and stream my favorite video game with my sister.  Gonna do a discord with my sister.

Success Measurement: Weekly self-checkins and Habitbull Tracker

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Battle Log

6 minutes ago, Treva said:

update: I have also done a truly amazing job by getting food poisoning the day the challenge started, so...may be will be having a late start for some of these challenge requirements.

Uh, on the upside... not covid? Feel better.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

*crawls out of the goddamned hole*

ohmygod guys is there still a challenge?  Is there?  I hope so!!

So I got food poisoning that I spent most of that week recovering from, and then my second dose which knocked me out for a few days.  but I am back!  Ish!  Getting my feet under me, getting steadier.  

Tonic

Exercise: I am starting back with just cardio.  I think I can advance to weights and pilates this week, now that I feel much better.

Diet: I'm embracing the fact that I love ramen and just going to do it in a healthy way.  I  bought noodles that have fewer calories, and plan to just load it with vegetables.

Sleep:  My sleep has been a little skewed.  I am slowly tracking myself back  to a normal bedtime.

Ritual Must Include:  I have not added yoga back yet, for obvious reasons
Success Measurement: I am down 2-3 pounds from my initial weight.  If I keep working on exercise and diet, I expect to meet my weight goals for this challenge.

Subdominant

Water the Self: I am not at work as much as I used to be, so I can hydrate at home.

Music practice: I am up to an hour a day.

Control Your Thoughts:  I have not been meditating.  My personal life is less good, and I cannot be left alone with my thoughts.  I am doing everything I can to keep my mind busy.

Dominant

Make something: I am making things every week.  So far I have done cinnamon rolls, strawberry galettes, and english muffins.  

I set up a discord with my sister, and we did our streaming together.  It was nice.

I am checking in with my friends almost every day.

Stand up for myself, at all costs: I am learning this is easier when I am sure of who I am.  I am working on that bit.

I found a notebook I think I might want to use.    I don't think I need therapy, but something to help me manage my SAD would be good.  I also realized that one of the things that probably kept me perked up in the past was being with my music people.  They were my tribe.  There's a lot of communal rocking out and commiserating about our lives that happens, and I miss it like hell.  Boys may come and go, but the soprano gossip and massage circle is forever. The people in medicine are nice but very, very normal.  It is hard to be around them all the time, sometimes.  

I have been home a lot more lately, and that has been nice.  

OK onto the minigoals to continually overschedule my life and prevent The Daily Cries from returning

Week 3: Trio

Tonic: Restart weight training this week

Subdominant: pick another piece of music to learn; thinking about getting the songbook from The Greatest Showman .  That's music people know, right?

Dominant: Check in on other people's challenges.  You know.  Like a goddamned human.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Better today.  

Tonic: I resetarted weight training today, and pilates yesterday.  I feel better.  I am still craving unhealthy food, but I can at least eat the healthy stuff first. I am doing a good job with the bedtime track back.  I do think I need to pick up more melatonin. (Trio 1/3 complete).  I am able to use my light weights easily, so I might go back to normal weights for S&S tomorrow.  

Shockingly, I have discovered it is a lot easier to work out when I'm not completely exhausted.  Sleeping 9-10 hours a night for a month has been incredible.  I love this.  I love sleep.  Everyone should sleep.  Sleep is so good.  Also, not having a complicated evening ritual has been better for me too.  My bedtime alarm has been working!  I plan my day so all my work gets done before 8 PM.   Also, I love having the opportunity to control some of my work hours.  Oh my god it is incredible to be able to work on my own time at my own pace.  Truly, deeply, incredible.  

I also realized I am a morning person; I just need to have them to myself.  And not have to get up at 5 AM all the goddamned time.  

Subdominant: I have been taking my water bottle to work, and challenging myself to drink the whole thing.  I am pausing in between patients to take swigs, which is a good idea.  I am still practicing 30-60 minutes a day.  Keeping myself busy has been good for me and for the relationship.  (Still need to get some new music for myself to learn).

Dominant: I have not made anything yet, but I should plan for something this weekend.  I have more breakfast items than I know what to do with, so maybe a fun dessert custard could be in my future.

I am learning when to let things roll off my back.  I had a not fabulous interaction with a colleague and I am trying to let it go.  I am also trying to let go of not having a plan together perfectly all the time.  It is really challenging for me to leave a patient room, sit down, and know exactly what I am going to do.  

I think I finally have enough lights.  I got new bulbs and a set of edison string lights, and my apartment is much brighter.  I  have also added a few more touches to the bathroom so it is neater and more spa like.   My mom also suggested some demi-perm hair color, and gifted me some cool makeup, which has been fun. It is all work appropriate, and I like getting to express myself more.

I have checked in on some other challenges, and should check in more (Trio 2/3 complete). 

So, liberating things I want to take away from this challenge so far:

1) I need 2 hours to unwind in order to sleep well.  Other things that help sleep include

a) exercise

b) good chronic stress management

c)  a relaxing home environment

2) I am a morning person, but I need 9 hours of sleep at least

3) I can manage my winter blues with environmental changes, a good support structure, healthy diet, and a well scheduled day with emphasis on heavy work in the morning, and enjoyable things in the evenings.  Giving myself things to look forward to also helps.  I will always leave myself the option of going to therapy if I need it, but right now I feel like it is well managed.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Glad to hear that you're feeling better! I assume if you're picking up your training again that you've given yourself enough time to get better.

Also glad to see that the sleep is working in your favor. I've gotta work on that my own self; I was at a point where I was in bed for 8 hours and that seemed to lend itself to better things all around, but I've let myself drift away from that and it's not been so good. Sounds like you're learning more and more about how to set yourself up to get what you want, and that is cool. 👍

• Like 1

I am glad that you are feeling enough better that you can exercise again. Getting more sleep helps with everything in life.

Yay for playing music!

I'm sorry that things have not been happy in your personal life. It sounds like you are doing all the things you can to make your life better and use your time to pursue your goals. I admire your dedication.

Hang in there!

• Like 1

Level 53  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

On 1/24/2021 at 5:33 PM, Kishi said:

Glad to hear that you're feeling better! I assume if you're picking up your training again that you've given yourself enough time to get better.

Also glad to see that the sleep is working in your favor. I've gotta work on that my own self; I was at a point where I was in bed for 8 hours and that seemed to lend itself to better things all around, but I've let myself drift away from that and it's not been so good. Sounds like you're learning more and more about how to set yourself up to get what you want, and that is cool. 👍

Almost two full weeks was plenty.  I am still not on a fantastic normal schedule, but honestly after the shift work we have been pulling, I'll take close to normal. 

8 hours is a nice amount of time.  I have found that's what I need for physical recovery.  9 is ideal, but requires more time and discipline than I have available right now.  

Thanks!  I am glad I am figuring things out.

22 hours ago, Mistr said:

I am glad that you are feeling enough better that you can exercise again. Getting more sleep helps with everything in life.

Yay for playing music!

I'm sorry that things have not been happy in your personal life. It sounds like you are doing all the things you can to make your life better and use your time to pursue your goals. I admire your dedication.

Hang in there!

Sleep and exercise always help for me.  It is probably why I haven't needed an antidepressant yet.

Thank you.  It has been weird in the personal sphere.  Sometimes it feels like it changes on a day-to-day basis. I am supposing this is the "being human" thing.  I may send you a quick DM for more wisdom/details.  I have an exam to get through in a week and it is important I do well.  I am trying to focus on things that will persist.  

Thank you for the support.  It is as always, much appreciated

Tonic

Exercise

this week I am getting ready to transition to a new workout schedule for vacation.  The heaviest things I want to bring are two kettlebells (my trusty 20 and 25). I have doubled up with a bonus leg/core day.  One day we will go back to gyms, and I want to be ready for the squat racks when we do.  I have been slacking a little on the swordwork, which is not the best. 

Diet: Microwave soups, while a little higher in sodium, have been helping me stick to my lunchtime calorie goals

Sleep: Bedtime alarm is not going as well.  I stay up too late catastrophizing.  I have started playing mirrors edge catalyst, and I really love it.  I play 10-15 minutes in the morning, and it really helps me get my mind in the right frame for the day.       

Success Measurement: I am down 2-3 pounds and lost at least 1% bodyfat.

Subdominant

I have been doing a much better job of drinking more water at work with my new water bottle.  I have made good musical progress on piano and on organ, and have new music sets for both instruments.  I am still not meditating.  This is not good.  

Dominant

Aggressive baking has been happening.  Cinnamon rolls and chocolate tarts are not contributing to my fitness goals, but they are contributing to my mental health goals.  I will be making more chocolate tarts this week.  I have no regrets right now.

Checking in with friends every day going really well.  I reconnected with an old friend.  She has been very supportive and says all the kindest things that I need.

Standing up for myself is going in a more global context, since I am not at work or in a lot of situations where I need to stick up for myself.  I am working on what is Self and what is Nonself, and then what is helpful, and what is unhelpful.  I have a list of questions I want to answer, and maybe making a grid of self/nonself and helpful/unhelpful would be good for me.  I think it will help me answer a lot of personal questions.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Still rolling?  still rolling!!!  Ok a summary of the last week and my goals for the last week!

Tonic

Exercise:

Exercise: I think I am making my 4x per week.   Mostly I am exercising every chance I get.  I have added leg day into my training. This week planning on dong some exercise every day, except if I have to travel.

Diet: Doing better.  I am away from all the sweets that I baked, and at home it is easier to get fresh vegetables for lunch.  I have a bit more control over my diet.  Get myself through my test and not worry about the rest. 

Sleep:  I have been doing ok with bedtime, tracking back and using melatonin to reinforce it.  I am still sleeping a lot, which is probably me catching up.  May never get to nightly yoga, but at least my skincare is good and I am crying myself to sleep less.

Success Measurement: I have lost 2-3 of the expected 4 pounds.  

Subdominant

Water the Self: I am not doing as well as I would like, but there will be room to improve this week

Music practice I am 100% crushing this.  I am probably going to escalate to 2 hours a day this week, if not more.

Control Your Thoughts: I have not meditated at all this challenge.  This may be something to add next challenge.  

Dominant

Make Something Once a Week (like a fun healthy recipe).  I made pita with my dad this week.  I am going to be doing more DIY fridge adventures and making whatever I can with whatever we have.

Check in with friends every day, even if it's just a simple text.  This has been really great.  I have reconnected with a lot of old friends, and it makes me feel better.  I am more social and extroverted than I appreciated; I just didn't have anyone around me I actually wanted to hang out with!  This explains why I never went out or went to bars.

Stand up for myself, at all costs: I am dealing with The Roommate Cleanliness Saga yet again.  My method for dealing with it right now is cleaning the things that I need to clean, and any trash he leaves in my space I just punt back into his space.  I am at least able to keep a separate space that he can't muck around in, and if he won't clean up his mess, it gets dumped in his way to deal with.

Streaming: I have done this twice so far, and hope to do more with my sister.  It has been a nice way to stay connected during the Pandemic.  

This week

Tonic: new exercise regimen will involve strength training daily with walking, instead of heavy bike cardio.

Subdominant: Keep hydrating, and if I can't meditate, do more Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Dominant: If my Roommate leaves trash in my area, I put it in his bedroom or in his sink.  He's an adult.  He can clean up his stuff like an adult.   

Answer the questions I made for myself a while ago.

Things for next challenge:

I got myself the anti-anxiety notebook.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Good! You're doing the best you can with everything that's before you.

5 hours ago, Treva said:

Sleep:  I have been doing ok with bedtime, tracking back and using melatonin to reinforce it.  I am still sleeping a lot, which is probably me catching up.  May never get to nightly yoga, but at least my skincare is good and I am crying myself to sleep less.

So, 2/3? That is good. I'd never want to tell someone not to feel their feelings; all the same, I'm hopeful that things are better for you and you have less cause (either because the external things went away or the internal things fortified).

5 hours ago, Treva said:

Streaming: I have done this twice so far, and hope to do more with my sister.  It has been a nice way to stay connected during the Pandemic.  

This appears to be a thing that lots of people I know are doing. I hope you're getting what you want from all this.

5 hours ago, Treva said:

I got myself the anti-anxiety notebook.

Ooh! How's that going to work?

On 1/31/2021 at 11:10 PM, Kishi said:

So, 2/3? That is good. I'd never want to tell someone not to feel their feelings; all the same, I'm hopeful that things are better for you and you have less cause (either because the external things went away or the internal things fortified).

It is a little bit of both.  The external things have improved, and I have fortified the internal things.  

This appears to be a thing that lots of people I know are doing. I hope you're getting what you want from all this.

I am.  I am sharing a game with my sister, which is all I wanted.  

Ooh! How's that going to work?

It seems like it is self-guided CBT.  I feel like it will be good for me when I have relapses or days when I am backtracking.    Basically, a notebook with a bunch of ways for you to journal how you are feeling, and then it offers suggestions or ways to combat Bad Thoughts.  

We are almost?  done?  with this challenge?  I am a little confused because I just finished taking the last of my board ish examy zam things.  It is the final of the 3 medical licensing exams we take before specialty licensing exams.  Anyways.  My brain is Goop.   Mighty hechkinng goop with a BLOOPTON of neurotransmitters.  It's a total of 16 hours of testing.  It's a lot of testing.  

Bloopton is a technical term that may be on future exams

Tonic

Exercise:

Exercise: I am close?  To meeting my goals for the week.  Today I am tired.  Tomorrow, I will probably exercise again.  

Diet: It's ok.  Again, I have been eating for Testing, which means get your ass through those questions, however you can.  

Sleep:  Big news here: I was able to get sleep before my exam.  I think I have successfully conquered my test anxiety.  Doesn't mean I'll have done well on the exam, but I am really proud of myself for overcoming that.  As some of you probably know, this has been literal years of work trying to get myself to sleep again. I will worry about my score later, I guess.  But I don't think there was anything more I could do to be ready for this exam, other than take another month off to relearn everything that wasn't internal medicine.  

Subdominant

Water the Self: Aggressive.  Tea. 

Music practice this is so back on track.  So.  Back on track.  My god.  I'm just sitting down and like "oh yes Moar Practice".  It really helps to  have the time to do this.  I highly recommend having actual free time.  Amazing.  Free time.  

Control Your Thoughts: I have not meditated at all this challenge.  This may be something to add next challenge.  

Dominant

Make Something Once a Week (like a fun healthy recipe).  Gonna make some lemon barsz today.  I think.  I dunno.  I have a gloopy brain.  It is SO gloopy.

Check in with friends every day, even if it's just a simple text: I like this a lot.  I like reaching out to friends and hearing about their lives.  I really want to be less burned out by everything so I can fully participate in conversations.  

Stand up for myself, at all costs: I have some decisions to make soon.  Also, the first thing I did coming home was start to clean up my bedroom.  I am picking a room of the house every day of the week to help with cleaning.  Cleaning is therapeutic. I can't do it today, because Gloopy Gloop Brain doesn't know how to tell Achy Muscles to Do things.

Streaming: Did not do as often as I wanted, but expecting to pick up now that studying is DONE.  For a while anyways.

Ok so Summary of this Challenge's Shenanigans.  The stuff I wrote above was yesterday because I had no brain to post.  No brain.  

Tonic: 

Exercise: I made a more coordinated effort to work out, and I am happy about it.  I am investing in leg day and core days that I can do in my apartment.  

Diet: I found lunches I am comfortable with (microwave soups hey hey).  I am doing more unhealthy baking, but this is my life right now and it's all I can manage.  I am a baker.  I do not think I am a cooker.

Sleep: This is where I made the most progress.  I slept the night before a major exam, guys.  I did it.   I am really proud of my progress on this front.  I am comfortable in my ability to sleep.  This will be very important going forward.

Subdominant

Water the self: not as successful as I would like, but something to work on for next challenge.

Music practice: Also the area where I made the most progress. I am back to practicing 1-2 hours every day, which is where I want to be for having many many days off in a row.  So many days off.  God.  Amazing.

Control your thoughts: So this went abysmal this challenge.  Did not meditate at all, and my emotional swings got out of control once or twice.  Things got better once I put more lights in my apartment.  I have some work to do there.

Dominant

Make something once a week: This was so fun.  I am looking forward to ramping this up for my next challenge with my NEW STAND MIXER WHOOOOO

Check in with friends: I am glad to be able to talk more with my friends.  I am trying to be a better friend, which is sometimes challenging when my stuff gets overwhelming.  I want to work more on that.

Standing up for myself: I have started to feel better about myself and have more confidence in the work that I do.  That has helped me hold my ground.  It makes sense; if my ground is solid, it's easier to stand on.

Streaming: happened! excited to do more of it.

For my next challenge, tasks to work on

- meditation

- being a better friend

- relaxing and standing up for myself

Tasks to continue

- music practice

- sleeping

- exercise

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Congratulations on getting through your exam and sleeping the night before! That is a major win.

You have done a great job of working on the things you care about this challenge.  I'm very happy to hear your joy at playing more music.

What is the next stage in your career progression? Are you staying at the same place for a while longer, moving to a new role, or something else?

I look forward to hearing about your adventures in the next challenge. :) 

Level 53  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log